Netflix confirmed for PS3 - Coming next month. No additional cost to Netflix members!

[quote name='Brownjohn']I feel the same way. Running a disc to use netflix wont matter too much since I wont be doing anything else on my PS3 at the time.

I'm not a current netflix subscriber, but with Hulu charging next year, I'll probably sign up sometime around then.[/QUOTE]
Hulu's charging next year?! WTF how much?

So the netflix disc is free if you are already a member?

Hopefully I can get my mom to order the disc, she subscribes to netflix. Not sure I would use netflix on Ps3 THAT much, but it's a pretty nice option.

I'm excited for netflix disc....kinda scared to watch movies on my ps3 since I burned the eye up on my ps2 from watching movies. Anyone have any problems with watching too many movies on there ps3 and the eye burning up yet?

Im glad this is going to be on PS#. My main question though concerns netflix on the 360, Currently you can stream flix on 360 unless you have a gold acct. I have one gold for my 360 but im not buying gold for my daughters 360. shes 10 and has no need to play on live. However she cant use flix in her room which blows. Is there any chance that since it will basicly be part of sony free service maybe ms will open it up to silver memberships as well?

[quote name='ktims777']Im glad this is going to be on PS#. My main question though concerns netflix on the 360, Currently you can stream flix on 360 unless you have a gold acct. I have one gold for my 360 but im not buying gold for my daughters 360. shes 10 and has no need to play on live. However she cant use flix in her room which blows. Is there any chance that since it will basicly be part of sony free service maybe ms will open it up to silver memberships as well?[/QUOTE]

Dont count on it

[quote name='Brownjohn']I feel the same way. Running a disc to use netflix wont matter too much since I wont be doing anything else on my PS3 at the time.
[/QUOTE]

I don't see the disc as a major hurdle, but it is something that bugs me. The thing I like about Netflix being integrated into the 360 is that it's easy to jump from a game and hop right into it without having to get up and switch discs. And while I take care of my games, I'd still feel better knowing that I don't have to worry about a physical piece of media being scratched.

The disc is a temporary solution, so it's no big deal. I'm eager to see how the experience compares to the 360s and which one I ultimately end up using more for streaming.

[quote name='ktims777']Im glad this is going to be on PS#. My main question though concerns netflix on the 360, Currently you can stream flix on 360 unless you have a gold acct. I have one gold for my 360 but im not buying gold for my daughters 360. shes 10 and has no need to play on live. However she cant use flix in her room which blows. Is there any chance that since it will basicly be part of sony free service maybe ms will open it up to silver memberships as well?[/QUOTE]

You can always just make a new account every month to stream netflix and you'll never have to buy Live.

[quote name='tenma']I don't see the disc as a major hurdle, but it is something that bugs me. The thing I like about Netflix being integrated into the 360 is that it's easy to jump from a game and hop right into it without having to get up and switch discs. And while I take care of my games, I'd still feel better knowing that I don't have to worry about a physical piece of media being scratched.

The disc is a temporary solution, so it's no big deal. I'm eager to see how the experience compares to the 360s and which one I ultimately end up using more for streaming.[/QUOTE]

Well you don't have to worry about that, Blu Ray disks could survive a Nuclear Bomb.

[quote name='mis0']$9 monthly for netflix is a great cable alternative.[/QUOTE]

But how will you get sports?

[quote name='laaj']But how will you get sports?[/QUOTE]

I've been making due with online alternatives.. haha.

It's just lame because my roommate's are too cheap to thrown down an extra $10 a month for basic cable and so are my girlfriend's roommates. So lame. :[

Darn right now additional cost to the end-users. :)
cagus.smile.jpg

I do not have netflix or do I believe I will be taking advantage of it. Good stuff though, way better than VHS tapes. :D

[quote name='MisterBee']Just got an email saying the disc is coming tomorrow in the mail.[/QUOTE]
ahhhh ya beat me to it, couldn't find the thread fast enough! :)

same here, i just got an email with the same info.

Not sure if it means anything, but it also says

"Meanwhile, add TV episodes & movies to your instant Queue now so you're ready to watch instantly when your instant streaming disc arrives."

Looks like netflix will be available as soon as the disc arrives? I was thinking it would be a bit longer.

Got mine too. Can't wait

So, I'm adding items to my Instant Play cue. When I do, it asks if I want to move the item to my #1 position. Why does it matter what position it is in? Shouldn't I be able to play any of them at any time?

[quote name='Dr. Strangepork']Got mine too. Can't wait

So, I'm adding items to my Instant Play cue. When I do, it asks if I want to move the item to my #1 position. Why does it matter what position it is in? Shouldn't I be able to play any of them at any time?[/QUOTE]

Just easier to navigate. I have 50+ items on my instant watch, so instead of having to scroll all the way to the end, I can bump the ones I plan to watch soon up to the front.

[quote name='SynGamer']Just easier to navigate. I have 50+ items on my instant watch, so instead of having to scroll all the way to the end, I can bump the ones I plan to watch soon up to the front.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. On the computer, it's obviously easy to navigate the list. But on the 360, it's a pain if you have a lot of movies. I suspect the PS3 interface will be similar. So, moving something up the list makes it easier to find.

Are you guys getting email confirmations from Netflix regarding the disc?

I can't wait to use this on the PS3, my Xbox 360's wireless connection dropped like 7 times so far this week while streaming Netflix, and the Xbox 360 was in the same freaking room as the router!

If you haven't gotten the email go to "my account" then under "watch instantly on TV or computer". You can click the "Watch Via PS3" and it will tell you when you disc will ship.

Mine should be here Friday as well. I have a quick question though. I already have Netflix set up to stream to my Xbox. Will I be able to stream to both at the same time? Will it even allow me to have my account associated with both streaming devices?

damnit! I haven't gotten an email yet and I clicked on that link for them to send me a disc when I read the first thread on kotaku. I wonder if being on the ps3 when I was on the browser was the problem. ugh, I'd love some ps3 netflix by the end of the week!

I have doubts that it will run better on PS3 until it gets integrated and no longer requires the disc. But I may be completely off as there's a lot more to it than that of course.

I am so checking into all this. . Is there a good netflix thread?

Its been a long time since I used them. Then blockbuster online and then local hollywood video rentals... (those calendars were soo good with all the coupons)...

But it may be back to netflix since I can do this and have an unlimited internet plan.

Just popped mine in and activated it. Definitely feels a bit sluggish navigating through the movies. Until it gets integrated, I will probably still do a lot of impulse viewing on the 360, but this will still be nice for when I know I wanna sit down and watch a particular movie.

Just got my disc.

gotta put the disc in every time you wanna watch netflix on the ps3?!? No thanks... I'll go back to the xbox for my netflix instant queue AND be able to browse some of the instant stuff also!

[quote name='bordjon']Just got my disc.

gotta put the disc in every time you wanna watch netflix on the ps3?!? No thanks... I'll go back to the xbox for my netflix instant queue AND be able to browse some of the instant stuff also![/QUOTE]

you can browse the instant stuff..

Picking your movie is a little more sluggish then xbox 360 but i think the movie loads faster after you picked it.
And also the disc does not constantly spin when your playing the movie.

I am wondering if some of the blu ray players can take advantage of this if netflix streaming isnt built in.. somebody try it yet?

Just got my disc today. I'll post my impressions later. Disc is a Blu-Ray since they need it to access the internet.

whoops - that's what I get for talking before actually putting the disc in!

Eh - but still - I'm a lazy ass and don't want to have to put the disc in every time I want to watch netflix. I'll try it out though. I watch instant a good bit with my wife. I get four bars for quality on xbox - even with hd stuff so I don't really have a reason to switch over to ps3 for this. Both my systems are plugged in with ethernet cables.

I am curious how well the streaming will work etc.

Once you disconnect do you lose what was downloaded or is it stored in a flash type state, as long as the PS3 is not turned off?

stupid question probably but I have not had netflix for years and this stuff wasnt the norm when i did.

[quote name='Snake2715']I am curious how well the streaming will work etc.

[/QUOTE]

After you pick your movie and are actually streaming, it works great. However, browsing the instant selections and your queue is a bit sluggish compared to the 360's current setup. It reminded me a bit of the earlier iterations of the PSN store where all the icons were slow/sluggish to load in. Hopefully, when they program the XMB functionality they can clean it up a bit so that things pop in instantaneously like the 360 version. Also on the interface front, it doesn't handle entries with multiple episodes quite as well. (It is all there and works, just not quite as quickly or smoothly.)

My only other (also very minor) gripe is that when you choose to quit playback it dumps you back to the XMB instead of the Netflix menu. So everytime you want to switch shows you have to rewait through the Bluray's Netflix load. However, to avoid this during playback you can hit triangle and choose menu to reload directly back into Netflix so it is once again no big deal.

All and all, this is a great functional addition to my PS3 with just a few minor rough edges. Anyone with PS3 should definitely check it out.

bread's done
Back