Netflix Device

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!
Feedback
89 (100%)
I'm looking for a really cheap Netflix device. (Actually, I need 3 of them.) I have a PS3, but I need some for other rooms of the house, and the Wii just looks like crap on a good TV. Are there any really cheap Netflix DVD/Blu-Ray players out there? I'd prefer a wired connection, but I would do wireless as well.

Thanks. :)

Yes, I believe a Roku would be your best choice. The base model is $48 at Wal-Mart. It also gets other stations for free, like Pandora and Crackle, all on demand. If you're doing this for children, though, be warned that some stations have explicit scenes and graphic nudity in their regular programming. There's a parental blocking feature, but it doesn't weed out everything in every individual app.

Here are the options you can pick from:

http://www.roku.com/roku-products

LT is the lowest-tier model and will get the job done to watch Netflix content at 720p. Also works with SD and HD TV types.
HD is the next step up for an additional $10, though the comparison page only lists "Instant replay control on remote" as the difference.
The XS is the top-tier Roku 2 box now, which adds in 1080p video for an additional $20 more than the HD.
The Roku 3 is the newest box and for $100, adds in dual-band wireless, faster CPU and the "best" Netflix experience on a Roku yet. Also adds in a headphone jack on the remote so you can listen to audio without needing headphones on the TV. The Roku 3 only works on a HDTV not a SDTV.

To get the job done, the LT will do it, though there are better options as you go up the cost pipeline.

I have a cheapo Insignia Blu-Ray player that does Netflix (and Pandora). The interface of the player menus is kinda slow but Netflix itself works just as well as it does on the PS3. Mine is a wireless one (but does have Ethernet) and cost $50, but you might wanna check your local BBYs. I think they stopped selling Insignia stuff since I can't find it online so you might find one on clearance.

Probably not as good as the Rokus, but it can do Blu-Rays/DVDs in addition to Netflix.

We just use the Western Digital TV Live in the living room. Picked one up off Amazon Warehouse for like $60. It plays everything fine, has all the various channels built in like the Roku, and allows for streaming from my PC with XBMC.

[quote name='SEH']We just use the Western Digital TV Live in the living room. Picked one up off Amazon Warehouse for like $60. It plays everything fine, has all the various channels built in like the Roku, and allows for streaming from my PC with XBMC.[/QUOTE]
wait... you can install xbmc on those Western Digital boxes?!?

[quote name='acdcrocks1980']wait... you can install xbmc on those Western Digital boxes?!?[/QUOTE]

No. I just run XBMC on my PC and the WD box picks it up as a media server.

bread's done
Back