Netflix has arrived! 7.99/mo, first hit is free

doctor_payne13

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Netflix.ca

No streaming yet on 360, put there's a client already available on PS3 (a feature that U.S. PS3s don't have yet), and you can order a disc for the Wii.

First month is free, but they require a credit card or Paypal account, so don't forget to cancel if you're not impressed.

It's neat! But the selection of movies and shows seems kind of... hilariously bad. Some diamonds in the rough though!

For $8 a month, I'm sold as long as the quality of streaming via Wii is decent. (Video quality doesn't have to be great as long as it doesn't stutter or stop to load while viewing.)

This is something I've been eagerly waiting for. Hopefully it lives up to expectations.

where is it on the PSN? I've tried search. it doesn't show up under new released.. i created a whole nother CAN account for this alone. I'm annoyed that I'm apparently inept and can't find it.

[quote name='Wolfkin']where is it on the PSN? I've tried search. it doesn't show up under new released.. i created a whole nother CAN account for this alone. I'm annoyed that I'm apparently inept and can't find it.[/QUOTE]
It's not in the store, you have to find it within either video/store option. I tried searching in the store, but found it directly in the XBN.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get videos to play Widescreen. I have an older non-HD tv, but still religiously watch films in widescreen.

[quote name='ejamer']For $8 a month, I'm sold as long as the quality of streaming via Wii is decent. (Video quality doesn't have to be great as long as it doesn't stutter or stop to load while viewing.)
.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that depend on your personal internet connection and/or the signal strength inside your home?

[quote name='toofeht']Wouldn't that depend on your personal internet connection and/or the signal strength inside your home?[/QUOTE]didn't sound like he was blaming netflix.. but it is a valid concern. If my connection isn't strong enough to get a steady picture then it's not worth paying for.

I'm doing something wrong because I don't see it in the XMB. That's the first place I looked. Even tried to system update again.

Last edited by a moderator:
you know I was just gonna say I haven't seen "What's New" in a while now and I don't remember turning it off. just as I was about hit reply.. there it is (Netflix on my video section). very very odd.

I just signed up for the free trial and was hoping they would have Batman Returns. What do I see "Not Avaliable."

Darn it I guess I will have to watch the Dark Knight first or hope Rogers Video Direct sends it first. I wish the streaming was available on the 360 oh well. The monthly price though is good.

I signed up and the first movie I tried was all stretched out with a screwed up aspect ratio. Not a great first impression, didn't have time to check anything else. It was 500 Days of Summer.

[quote name='JamesX']Is any of the content available in HD?[/QUOTE]

A lot of them is in HD, including some titles like Mad Men that are not available in the US. :D

Warning, the selection of content for Canada is much lower at the moment than the USA. A lot of good content is simply not available yet for some reason.

Does anyone know when it will be announced for Xbox 360?

Also is it possible to watch movies with your american friends, or is it like Zune were you can only watch with people in your country?

[quote name='bloodwings']Warning, the selection of content for Canada is much lower at the moment than the USA. A lot of good content is simply not available yet for some reason.[/QUOTE]

The answer to your question is thanks to the lovely folks who run the "CRTC."

I tried out Vertigo and the image on my 32" HDTV looked a bit blocky and not as clear. Its an older movie but I recently watched another older movie but on Blu-ray and it looked great.

I checked a second movie and the aspect ratio was correct. The quality seemed okay but I don't think I'd be satisfied with having that be my main source of movies considering I'm used to Blu-ray. It sure is cheap though compared to renting.

I just noticed a typo, I meant that the AR WAS correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivebeen waiting for this. Signed up yesterday and was glad to see first month free.
Watched Tokyo Sonata and I didnt have to wait once, except 30 seconds when launching.

Note that my signal strength is pretty weak so I was insanely surprised. The ratio was slightly off (but Im sure that an be fixed with playing with my zoom setting on tv). Quality was suprisingly great (low-def). For that price, Im completely sold.
I just hope they will add more movies (notably foreign asians & anime)

To everyone who is comparing the quality to Blu-Ray....come on! OF COURSE ITS NOT AS GOOD.

I'm doing the trial. My hope was that the content selection would be good enough so I could cancel Rogers cable (bye bye 80$ monthly bill). It seems like if I try searching for something specific that I want to watch, then they won't have it. But when I browse what they do have, I find quite a bit of stuff to keep me entertained. When I think about it, its a lot like cable anyways; I can never find what I want when I actually turn it on (only it's one tenth of the price). I am hoping they can start adding more content as they go.

I also upgraded to the 95GB/month download cap with Rogers internet last month... hopefully that will do for using Netflix!

@dave17:
I'm thinking the same thing about using this as a cheap alternative to cable. Although Netflix.ca seems a lot slimmer on content than the American version, there is still enough to keep me interested -- plus having movies and TV series available on demand is way better than cable anyway.

Mmy only concern so far is speed. Tried watching the first episode of Mad Men.last night and got interrupted twice because of "changes in speed". That's not going to cut it...

I've learned that some of the films are presented in 1.33:1 (fullscreen ratio) because of the content providers, ie. the studios. This stinks for some of us, because this is marketed towards an audience that probably has newer wide-screen tvs and monitors. Mind you, I don't have a wide-screen high-def TV, but I own widescreen monitors.

Selection isn't perfect, but that's alright for now, as I hope it will improve over time. There's enough content alone to watch for curiosity's sake.

I think this service is perfect for people like myself, who sometimes see these movies in the stores, but are hesitant to checking them out. 8 bucks a month for choice is a fantastic alternative to Blockbusters.

I definitely recommend checking it out if you have an open mind in knowing there will be a market later on.

It may get expensive in future years, as it's taken over by capitalist ideals. So, give it a try while it's still relatively affordable.

I only have a 60gb cap at Rogers. I am thinking of moving up to 95gb or switching companies since I'm not under contract. I'm looking at going to Telus or maybe another company (other than Bell).

[quote name='Andyg88']I've learned that some of the films are presented in 1.33:1 (fullscreen ratio) because of the content providers, ie. the studios. This stinks for some of us, because this is marketed towards an audience that probably has newer wide-screen tvs and monitors. Mind you, I don't have a wide-screen high-def TV, but I own widescreen monitors.

Selection isn't perfect, but that's alright for now, as I hope it will improve over time. There's enough content alone to watch for curiosity's sake.

I think this service is perfect for people like myself, who sometimes see these movies in the stores, but are hesitant to checking them out. 8 bucks a month for choice is a fantastic alternative to Blockbusters.

I definitely recommend checking it out if you have an open mind in knowing there will be a market later on.

It may get expensive in future years, as it's taken over by capitalist ideals. So, give it a try while it's still relatively affordable.[/QUOTE]

There you go!

What speed internet are you guys using? My choices are either pay $150 for rogers to get a decent speed, or $80 for bell for 5mbit download speed. Which doesn't look like it'll be anywhere near l33t enough for netflix unfortunately.

[quote name='penetratingpincer']I was wondering if anyone knows of a fast, no cap ISP in Toronto? Sounds like this will kill anything with caps and I wouldn't want to get it with a slow ISP...[/QUOTE]

http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

I use this ISP, and I'm not having any issues watching shows on netflix atm.

They currently have an unlimited plan, which I'm on, but with the recent CRTC ruling, I'm not sure how long that's going to last.

[quote name='Psamtik']http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

They currently have an unlimited plan, which I'm on, but with the recent CRTC ruling, I'm not sure how long that's going to last.[/QUOTE]

+1 on TekSavvy. Cheap, great customer service, and they actually care about net neutrality and customer rights.

[quote name='Psamtik']http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

They currently have an unlimited plan, which I'm on, but with the recent CRTC ruling, I'm not sure how long that's going to last.[/QUOTE]

What recent CRTC ruling?

What sort of up and down speeds are you seeing with them?

I'll have a look at their plans, my brother would be even more interested than I would since he's looking for an ISP when he moves to his new place across the city.

I can live with visual quality that is lower than blu-ray, but what is holding me back is the limited selection. I will wait for the xbox360 app to show up and I will recheck what kind of content is available on there again and might actually try it...

[quote name='Wolfkin']have any of you guys tried a US netflix account?[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing.
Btw, Im getting emails asking me about the quality satisfaction for movies I watched :)

I signed up for the netflix trial on Wednesday and I am impressed with the service. The content is a little lacking but I'm hoping more gets added over time.

I live in New Brunswick and have Bell Aliants 35MB down fibreop package and It streamed no problem. From what I've been told by co-workers (I work for Bell Aliant) and the technical support group there is no monthly bandwith cap on their service so I streamed about a dozen or so movies over the last couple days. No problems except for one thing. I tried to stream The Guild Season 2 and I got a "Unable to initialize quicktime" error. I looked around online but I couldn't find anything at all related to my error. Could someone else who is subscribed to Netflix try and stream it and post if it works? I'm curious to find out if its just me.

[quote name='Zoodux']I tried to stream The Guild Season 2 and I got a "Unable to initialize quicktime" error. I looked around online but I couldn't find anything at all related to my error. Could someone else who is subscribed to Netflix try and stream it and post if it works? I'm curious to find out if its just me.[/QUOTE]

Not just you -- I'm seeing that here, too.

Netflix is pretty good so far! I thought the quality was going to stink, but even really old shows look nice, and the quality of the HD content looks great. I've had a few hiccups, and one show had the audio off-sync on my PS3. I set up a Netflix account on my iPod Touch and that same episode worked properly, so obviously it wasn't a problem with the show. The content is lacking, a lot of movies on it look liker they're absolutely horrible, and even more seem very niche. To get me to subscribe I'm afraid they'll need more newer Hollywood crap, since I'm not the only one who watches TV at home.

Netflix is fairly decent thus far. Lots of crap but they do have some good movies/TV shows on there. It seems the quality is either really good or bad upscaled. At least the stuffed I've watched anyways.

Anyone else having audio sync issues when playing content through the PS3? I've googled the problem, but no real solution has been posted apart from pausing the movie and then restarting, to no avail for me. This keeps happening on episodes two and on of The Day of the Triffids (BTW, not a bad series!). I've tried other content but it plays fine. If anyone else could try that series and let me know, thanks.
BTW I've tried it on more than one hardwired PS3, and the problem persists on all of them. Yet no problem when watching wirelessly on the iPod Touch. I almost wonder if there is a Netflix cache I could delete to get rid of the problem, but I can't find anything obvious :?:

I've been watching it since day one and there is a lot a great stuff on there in the crap.
One thing you really need to do is use the search function because it opens a whole world of content you can't see.
One search for MST3K led to me watching one episode but next day there were 27 episodes of the show under my recommended list.

Also with searching make sure to check out the unavailable titles because on the side they offer recommendations that are "like" that and I find there are even more titles there that just aren't in the main list.

I haven't subscribed to cable in years (sat either) because I hate the commercials and the forced Canadian content crap. For 8 bucks this (for me) is awesome. The way it keeps a history so you can just go back and start where you left off. Instant streaming. Shows from everywhere like "Red Dwarf", "Fawlty Towers", or foreign flicks like "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" with their original language and subs.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Anyone else having audio sync issues when playing content through the PS3? I've googled the problem, but no real solution has been posted apart from pausing the movie and then restarting, to no avail for me. This keeps happening on episodes two and on of The Day of the Triffids (BTW, not a bad series!). I've tried other content but it plays fine. If anyone else could try that series and let me know, thanks.
BTW I've tried it on more than one hardwired PS3, and the problem persists on all of them. Yet no problem when watching wirelessly on the iPod Touch. I almost wonder if there is a Netflix cache I could delete to get rid of the problem, but I can't find anything obvious :?:[/QUOTE]

I can try this for you when I get home from work in the morning if I dont pass out as soon as I walk in the door.

bread's done
Back