Netflix or blockbuster

cabal

CAG Veteran
I've had netflix for almost 5 years now. But with Blockbuster.com now offering free instore rentals when you return your movies in-store, it makes it that much more difficult to stay with netflix.
Does anyone have any opions a about blockbuster.com?
Or has anyone tried both?

ive gone off and on with netflix for about 3 years now. here are my impressions:

(Keep in mind I have the SouthEast shipping center 6 miles from my house)

when they first started, they were awesome...always sending dvds on time, great movie selection, etc. I quit after using them 8 months because of lack of funds. I waited 1 year and then I used them for about 3 months. Their customer service lacked a bit and they took longer on getting me DVDs. I also got a couple of cracked dvds in the mail and noticed I was throttled big time. for instance, I rented out 19 titles month 1, month 2 I got 14, month 3 I only recieved 11 titles.

Fast forward to now, I picked them up again 6 months ago. Here are my complaints:

Gripe 1:
I have had 1 movie at the top of my rental queue since the beginning. Every time I have movies out, its available. When they recieve my items back it immediately goes on "Very Long Wait". Not Cool.

Gripe 2:
Here was my last "shipment" situation from netflix. I rent a very popular movie (Batman Begins) with 2 others (Dirty Dancing, The Thirteenth Floor). On tuesday of week 1, I get confirmation that they are being shipped and should arrive thursday. On thursday, nothing arrives. On friday, I get Dirty Dancing. On week 2, I then wait till the Wednesday to get Batman Begins. I still havent recieved The Thirteenth Floor. I get it on Thursday. Now, since I live so close the distribution center I shouldn't have this kind of delay of shipping. I also am fortunate enough to have mail carriers that deliver fast so I can "supposedly" get it to them in 1 business day....I think Netflix is BS'ing on when they recieve it and when they ship it out to deflect criticism on their throttling services again.

This is also the 4th time this has happened where I ship them movies and they get them to me in about a week and they take a week for them to get into their system after I mail them back.

Gripe 3:
Cracked Dvds. I recieved 15 cracked dvds since I started 6 months ago. thats about 2 a month. this is no exaggeration. I started counting after I got 3 in the first month...

Gripe 4:
Lack of customer service. They've been THE largest DVD distribution service for how many years and they still don't have an efficient way to communicate with a service rep. NOTE: Im not saying it isn't available, I'm saying that they don't do it well.

Praise 1:
Selection. thats all. self-explanatory.

Conclusion:
I agree with the earlier poster, if you live near a Blockbuster B&M, sign up for their service. at least you get about the same service but can return movies immediately instead of paying Netflix to lie to you and say its in the mail when its proly waiting in their warehouse.

It all depends on what you like to watch. I watch a lot of tv on dvd so netflix is way better than Blockbuster (at least from my experience). Blockbuster had a wait on almost all the tv sets i wanted, in comparison to netflix where all were in stock or had a short wait. The in-store is nice and if you only really watch movies I would probably say go with Blockbuster. Netflix had a little faster shipping for me but with the in-store it makes it less important.

once my Netflix free trial is over i'm going to ditch that and gamefly in favor of Blockbuster Total Access

I hated BB before but the Total Access add-on makes it hard to resist

also i have a BBuster about 2 blocks from my house

Netflix started screwing over it's customers with rental profiling.
Basically, if you rent alot then they take longer to ship the next movie to you or give priority on newer movies to customers who do not rent as much. Lokk throught their terms of service and you'll see it's true.
"In determining priority for shipping and inventory allocation, we give priority to those members who receive the fewest DVDs through our service,"

Netflix is good if you are looking for obscure and arthouse fare or like to rent alot of TV on DVD.
Blockbuster is good if you like to always have a movie on hand to watch. I only have the two at a time plan and I'm never without something.
Example: I returned Talledega Nights on Saturday and rented Little Miss Susnhine instore. I got the next movie in my queue on Tuesday and still have one sitting on my TV that I have yet to watch. With Netlix I would watch movies on the weekend and cross my fingers that I would get a new one by the next weekend...and usually it was not until the following Monday, and I live in the same town as a distribution center.
I signed up for Netflix back in 2000 and LOVED it. They've changed so much since then and it is going to come back to bite them.

I've used both over the years, and they were neck-and-neck for awhile (though Netflix had more selection on-ilne), but Blockbuster really has upped the ante. They get me my movies faster (maybe they don't throttle as severly?), the two in-store coupons were nice, but the Total Access has put them over the top. It's just too good of a deal not to go with them.

[quote name='obiwayne']"In determining priority for shipping and inventory allocation, we give priority to those members who receive the fewest DVDs through our service"[/QUOTE]
Then I must be one of their low-renting high-priority customers, because turnaround on my DVDs is almost always pretty prompt... :)

I've tried both Blockbuster and Netflix and have ups and downs with both. I'm ending a trial of blockbuster and am sad to see it go but not willing to pay because of recent poor turn around times. The Total access trade in is an amazing concept and now with the extra free movie or game rental coupon a month, the temptatioon is mounting.

I found Netflix to have a much better recommendation system and overall better web site for browsing, but you really do get more for your money with Blockbuster.

[quote name='klwillis45']Tried both, liked both. IMO, if you have access to a B&M BBV it's a no-brainer to go with blockbuster.[/QUOTE]
qft don't forgot about the free movie/game coupon per month

I've been using Blockbuster for the past month and I love it. I used Netflix in the past but this total access stuff is amazing...way better than netflix in my opinion

I had both , and i can say that blockbuster offers more obscure films and they offer alot more criterion collection movies, whereas netflix only has one version of a film. Plus netflix has the worst customer service on the planet. Blockbuster also has the "trade your online rental at local blockbuster" free rental thing going on. Its is awesome, i watch like 6-9 movies a week with that deal.

I'd have to say Netflix, only because BB's B&M DVD selection is crap - and is the reason I went to Netflix in the first place.

Compare the two online services, and from all accounts (online accounts and from word of mouth from friends with one or the other), Netflix has a much better selection.

(again, it is all about your taste in rentals though, as I usually rent documentaries, anime, Godzilla/Gamera and TV shows - and my wife goes for the movies we want to see with her Netflix account)

I have a question about BB's service, and maybe someone can answer this for me. I was looking into it last week. I've been a Netflix user for about 3 years now, and honestly I have had no complaints, but the added bonuses to BB's service do look tempting - especially since I drive right by one every day. Here's the plan I'm looking at:

* 2 DVDs out at a time
* Unlimited rentals
* Return online or in-store
* +FREE - in-store game rental

The game rental is my question. I looked all over their site, and saw no further mention of it - does this mean you get one free game rental a month, or what?

[quote name='argyle']I have a question about BB's service, and maybe someone can answer this for me. I was looking into it last week. I've been a Netflix user for about 3 years now, and honestly I have had no complaints, but the added bonuses to BB's service do look tempting - especially since I drive right by one every day. Here's the plan I'm looking at:

* 2 DVDs out at a time
* Unlimited rentals
* Return online or in-store
* +FREE - in-store game rental

The game rental is my question. I looked all over their site, and saw no further mention of it - does this mean you get one free game rental a month, or what?[/QUOTE]

This feature was added within this month so they don't have much to say about it. You get one ecoupon per month that can be used for either a game rental or movie rental at the bb store.

I've had Netflix for years and have no complaints. I had a short period when I recieved several broken discs but reported them and received new ones quickly. No biggie. I also noticed just recently that they now offer both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD formats as well which is pretty nice since I'll be getting a ps3 in the next couple of months. I'm not familiar with the BB deal so I'm not sure if they're offered or not but wanted to throw that out there.

Netflick is normally superfast and it it's not I blame the Post Office. I just got a flier on Thursday that said it was supposed to arrive Before Christmas!

There is a Blockbuster about 1/2 mile from my house. It has to be the worst one in the country. It's too small and they have nothing ever. There is a much bigger place they can move to in the same plaza, but they don't. I hate this one block buster so much I will stick with Netflix.

I canceled Netflix a few months ago. I'm thinking about trying Blockbuster, but do they do HD-DVD rentals? If not, can they be rented with the free in store exchange?

[quote name='ImmortalfWd']I canceled Netflix a few months ago. I'm thinking about trying Blockbuster, but do they do HD-DVD rentals? If not, can they be rented with the free in store exchange?[/quote]

They have them online.

[quote name='grimlock49']They have them online.[/QUOTE]

Not calling you a liar... but Ive been looking online for sometime, what am I missing??

My experiences with both with DVDs (no HD DVD/Blu Ray renting yet)...

I started with Blockbuster about a year and half ago. For shipping (Kansas City, MO), it took about 4-5 days to receive a new title from my queue. Half the time a new movie released, it would take a week or two for me to get a copy thus I had to settle for the most part for movies that had been out for 2-3 weeks in stores. Because of these two gripes, I decided to cancel my service and try netflix.

I am still with Netflix as we speak. I have been with them for about a year now. In three different places I have lived (Kansas City, MO; Orlando, FL; Miami, FL), the movies at most take 3 days to come back. As for the newer movies, I can grab about the majority of any new release at any time after its release. I have never had any problems with customer service except maybe finding a phone number of someone I could reach if I wanted. Any movies that has been damaged or lost, rather it was rented or a used purchase, has been easily replaced with no questions asked. In example, I got a used copy of a movie and it skipped at one part. I put in a request that it was damaged. They sent me another copy and never had me send back the other... no questions asked. I have been so satisfied with them it has been nearly impossible to try the new blockbuster service to see if it has changed on the two grips i had with it. I did enjoy blockbuster offering us netflix-ers a chance at the Total Access in store thing but at the same time I didn't get the chance to test shipping times and availability of mailing service.

The greatest point that has yet to be mentioned is that the dvd quality through netflix is just bad. All their dvds are made in house (all 12 or so I recieved), where as the Blockbuster movies are retail copies.

If you're confused I mean that if you buy a dvd at Best Buy, etc. you'll get the retail copy where the printing on the dvd is what the movie company developed. Where as netflix produces their own with a gray scale picture on top.

At first I thought it was funny that all their dvds were gray but then a buddy was over and he had seen the dvd and knew it wasn't grey. So I looked into it and all the dvds were not retail. Found the solution of why all my dvds that I watch through upscaling looked like crap from them.

Long story short, Blockbuster.

[quote name='Britshady']The greatest point that has yet to be mentioned is that the dvd quality through netflix is just bad. All their dvds are made in house (all 12 or so I recieved), where as the Blockbuster movies are retail copies.

If you're confused I mean that if you buy a dvd at Best Buy, etc. you'll get the retail copy where the printing on the dvd is what the movie company developed. Where as netflix produces their own with a gray scale picture on top.

At first I thought it was funny that all their dvds were gray but then a buddy was over and he had seen the dvd and knew it wasn't grey. So I looked into it and all the dvds were not retail. Found the solution of why all my dvds that I watch through upscaling looked like crap from them.

Long story short, Blockbuster.[/QUOTE]

:roll: I have been part of Netflix for over a year and every DVD I have received has been the same copies you get at the store. How do I know? I went out and bought DVDs I enjoyed during netflix and noticed no difference in disc quality or features.

ok i have a question if you can trade your dvds in in store why would you even mess with the shipping just keep trading them at the store or is there a limit to that? if there is what is the rule on instore trading
thanx

[quote name='aznpersuasion']ok i have a question if you can trade your dvds in in store why would you even mess with the shipping just keep trading them at the store or is there a limit to that? if there is what is the rule on instore trading
thanx[/QUOTE]

I don't get what your question is.

You take the movies back to the store. For each one you bring back, you get a free rental. They mail your movies back and the free movies you get are subject to all the normal renting fees/limits. You can't return the movies you get for free for another free movie. Only the ones you get mailed to you.

You get one movie in the mail and watch it, you then go to BB to return it because they will ship it back out. Once you give them the one from the mail you get a free movie from them. Then your next movie comes in and you watch then return it and so on. The point of the free movie is so you have soemthing to watch while you wait for the new one to come.

[quote name='aznpersuasion']ok i have a question if you can trade your dvds in in store why would you even mess with the shipping just keep trading them at the store or is there a limit to that? if there is what is the rule on instore trading
thanx[/QUOTE]

You can do it as much as possible.

I've been using Blockbuster for about a year and don't have any major complaints. The new Total Access thing is definitely worth checking out. The only complaint I have is that Blu Ray movies require wait times, but that isn't anything major for me.

...wait, so Netflix doesn't send you retail copies of their DVDs? If that's even true, how is that possibly legal?

[quote name='Dranakin']...wait, so Netflix doesn't send you retail copies of their DVDs? If that's even true, how is that possibly legal?[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I have no clue what that dude was talking about. I have lived in three different distribution center areas and have all got retail copies. My girlfriend as well as her brother (in a fourth distribution center area) all get retail copies.

[quote name='lordopus99']Like I said, I have no clue what that dude was talking about. I have lived in three different distribution center areas and have all got retail copies. My girlfriend as well as her brother (in a fourth distribution center area) all get retail copies.[/quote]

Same here. Though I am still debating the pros and cons, I'm with Netflix at the moment though I might check out BB at some point. So far, no complaints.

Yeah i have no idea what that guy was smoking but netflix sends you retail copies same as any other store. I've never had an issue with throttling using netflix but then again i tend to use it for anime which they have a far superior selection of.

I use both services atm. Netflix for anime and TV shows and blockbuster for new releases. One thing i've quickly realized again is that aside from new releases blockbuster's in store selection sucks. I can't even find dvd's i'd want to rent in store with their total access program.

question..

i use blockbuster.com and you know how you get those free instore rentals right..

well i dont have a blockbuster account (instore)..

can i still use them? will they see me as a member since im an online member?

[quote name='Brian9824'] One thing i've quickly realized again is that aside from new releases blockbuster's in store selection sucks. I can't even find dvd's i'd want to rent in store with their total access program.[/QUOTE]

That's why I still use Netflix.

[quote name='guyver2077']question..

i use blockbuster.com and you know how you get those free instore rentals right..

well i dont have a blockbuster account (instore)..

can i still use them? will they see me as a member since im an online member?[/QUOTE]

You will have to get an instore account. But they are free and all you need is 10 minutes of you time, a credit card and drivers license.

[quote name='stalfosking']You will have to get an instore account. But they are free and all you need is 10 minutes of you time, a credit card and drivers license.[/quote]

god why am i so lazy....

fuck it i dont plan on keeping bb anyways... their hd dvd queue sucks balls for me.

[quote name='guyver2077']god why am i so lazy....

fuck it i dont plan on keeping bb anyways... their hd dvd queue sucks balls for me.[/QUOTE]

Well if you're too lazy to make it to a BB store then I guess netflix works just as well.

However, if you do return you dvds to the store, movie turnaround times are cut in half since your next movie on your queue is usually shipped the same day you return something to the store.

Does anyone know the code for the free 1 month trial to Blockbuster online? Sorry to ask it here but i figured it would be better then starting another thread.

Netflix.

I'va had thier service for years. I've recieved one cracked disc, and only once had a problem where shipping took longer than expected. Once, they didn't recieve a dvd I sent them. I reported it as missing and the next dvd on my queue went out immediatey. I had a freind mail them the wrong movie (it was her personal dvd) and they mailed it back to her. I don't know what all these "customer service' complaints are about - its a fucking dvd rental company, how much assistance do you need?

For the record, they use both "netflix" versions of some films (i've seen this with some hbo shows and other super-popular movies) which is a grey dvd and says the film name and has a netflix logo. However, probably 90% of thier rentals are retail copies...and even if it's not the "official" release, it's not like Netflix is pressing them out back; they must come from the studios.

I say screw blockbuster. ive paid enough late fees in my lifetime where i really dont want to do business with them. not to mention, i have netflix so i can avoid wasting time going to, being at, or driving from the video store...

One of the biggest selling points for Blockbuster is the one free instore GAME rental a month (I get two a month).

And the Total Access thing is just awesome.

And Blockbuster doesn't "throttle".

bread's done
Back