Netflix Streaming Thread 2.0

Netflix and Disney renewed their agreement, so shows like Lost and Grey's anatomy will be around for a while.

Oh yeah, and they're adding some show called ALIAS! :)

[quote name='Soodmeg']
The prices are as low as they can get them and if you dont think the million plus movies and tv shows they have now are worth it than there is probably no way for them to appease you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, subscribe to a premium cable channel instead. Then you can watch Avatar and 3-4 other movies every month.

So I finally canceled the DVD's by mail portion of my account after forgetting to do it in September, and there's still absolutely nothing really worth watching on streaming. They added Melissa & Joey, Retired at 35, and State of Georgia, all of which I already have on my own homeade dvd's. Haven't done more than look over the listings on the PS3 version in days.....Though they did add Sordid Lives, could rewatch that for the 20th time I guess....

[quote name='praxus07']there's still absolutely nothing really worth watching on streaming.[/QUOTE]

Not true.

It doesn't have all the latest blockbusters but there is plenty of quality entertainment, especially in the form of TV shows.

[quote name='Backlash']Not from the PS3. But you can use http://www.instantwatcher.com to see what's out there from your computer.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the link ill check it out now. its always kind of annoying to not know whats on there to watch and just random search for things.

[quote name='camoor']Not true.

It doesn't have all the latest blockbusters but there is plenty of quality entertainment, especially in the form of TV shows.[/QUOTE]

Yeah there are tons of great movies on there. Especially great foreign movies. I've found better foreign movies on netflix than good hollywood movies that come out in a whole year.

[quote name='camoor']Not true.

It doesn't have all the latest blockbusters but there is plenty of quality entertainment, especially in the form of TV shows.[/QUOTE]

So which shows are quality shows on netflix?

I've pretty much watched or already seen every Law & Order in every series, already saw The Walking Dead, already have Hot in Cleveland on dvd, own every Family Guy episode, watched all the Midsomer Murders, and am sick to death of The Cosby Show, can't stand Frasier, and not really into the other recently canceled series they've added like Running Wild.

Plus it seems like every movie update is 75% foreign movies (not a fan at all) and indy stuff I don't watch. Not to mention the "Top 10 for Chris" list is never anything I'd be into.

The streaming selection is just so Blah, and with the PS3 search only bringing up 10 items at a time, searching for stuff is a hassle.

Are you serious? There are seriously no joking over a million movies and tv shows on netflix instant watch.

I starting to believe that when people say this they are really saying, "my taste is extremely narrow to big name blockbusters only."

Not that its a bad thing but its almost laughable to say that there is nothing on there when it contains the biggest tv shows and movies of the last 20 years.

Yeah, I'm serious. If there's a million movies and tv shows where the heck are they? My list seems to only show the same crap over and over again in multiple categories. The sci-fi list has been the same 20 movies for months, and 98% of it direct to video junk. Most of the stuff on there seems to be direct to video crap.

My tastes might be narrow (I don't watch kids, foreign, anime, indy, or documentaries), but I'm not a subscriber for only blockbusters. I can get them via torrent any time I want. That's why I dropped the DVD part.

I just went through all the lists on the ps3 again and again added nothing new to my queue.

Ever since netflix changed the website I really don't use it anymore. So mainly rely on the quick categories, and the built in search, which honestly is kinda useless unless you know the movie title.

I did just go to the website and what pops up first is the same list as the quick categories, with the same movies on my ps3. On the ps3 I really wish there was a way to block categories you don't want to see, so more of what you do want could be added in instead.

I watch a new movie or tv show on netflix every night. It's rare that I find a complete stinker.

I guess you are just so hard to please that netflix is not for you. There is more variety shown on the 360 netflix, but you really should use the website.

I frequent various new to dvd review columns around the net and find all kinds of great stuff I never heard of.

"Direct to dvd" absolutely in no way means it's crap. It means the people who made it just didn't have money to do anything else. But if you are against direct to dvd and hate foreign - I guess your only choice is to hang out at Blockbuster every Tuesday and hope they get something that you missed in the American theater.

Oh and nearly every other good movie released nowadays is a crappy remake of the foreign version for Americans that hate to read. Just keep waiting for those.

After a couple of years of not being available on streaming or DVD on Netflix, Pontypool is streaming now. Of course, I bought it a few weeks ago from Amazon and haven't watched it yet. I hope it's good.

I love the instant streaming... my wife... who I feel falls into only wanting to watch something if it's current, dislikes the service... I however am a huge film buff and its a nice place to find movies I dont have or may not even be on tv...

Sometimes I get a little overwhelmed with the amount of titles and forget what I want to look for, maybe some better ways of searching or just browsing would be good.

Nothing better than finding an actual movie youve wanted to see and never had on the instant streaming... about as good as finding lost classics while browsing through the sections, Im hoping they add more of the Dennis the Menace series soon

I gotta say, I still hate the Wonder Years. However many years since broadcast, in just the few episodes I browsed, I still can't view Winnie as anything other than a vicious cocktease.

Did she and Kevin ever bang? I should google this business.

[quote name='dothog']I gotta say, I still hate the Wonder Years. However many years since broadcast, in just the few episodes I browsed, I still can't view Winnie as anything other than a vicious cocktease.

Did she and Kevin ever bang? I should google this business.[/QUOTE]

They nail in the finale if I remember correctly. I think that show is pretty brilliant in the fact that, even though I didn't grow up during that time, they totally capture true feelings of someone growing up that age. I definitely felt and saw girls in that exact same way as Kevin did. I should start watching it again.

I'm glad to hear those crazy kids finally knocked boots.

For "slice of life" TV, the show didn't do much for me. I will acknowledge Winnie's hotness, Kevin's older sister's hotness, and the talents of a young Marilyn Manson, but outside of that, meh. To each his/her own. It was hard for me to stay with the show, I watched off and on until they kissed, then I lost interest. Some other show must've come along.

[quote name='praxus07']Yeah, I'm serious. If there's a million movies and tv shows where the heck are they? My list seems to only show the same crap over and over again in multiple categories. The sci-fi list has been the same 20 movies for months, and 98% of it direct to video junk. Most of the stuff on there seems to be direct to video crap.[/QUOTE]

Farscape, Futurama :D, BSG, Carnivale, several flavors of Star Trek

Plus some cool foriegn stuff like the British Being Human and Doctor Who

That's crap?

[quote name='camoor']Farscape, Futurama :D, BSG, Carnivale, several flavors of Star Trek

That's crap?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I get a lot of value out of having BSG, the Treks, Blackadder, and Larry Sanders at my fingertips. I don't really filp channels at all anymore. Since Netflix streaming really opened up, when I've had time for TV I just start up an episode of the above. It's too easy.

I've been watching through the Wonder Years myself, for the first time. I'm like halfway through season 4, but I feel like the show is getting worse and worse as he gets older.

[quote name='camoor']Farscape, Futurama :D, BSG, Carnivale, several flavors of Star Trek

That's crap?[/QUOTE]

Kinda, yeah...LOL.

I've already seen every episode of Futurama when they aired originally, plus the movies, and not one to rewatch things over and over again, have no interest in Farscape/BSG/Caprica. Didn't like them when they were on tv, so not interested now. The Stargates (was forced to watch them all by the ex when they originally aired on tv), never heard of Carnivale, and I have all Star Trek on DVD.

Also no interest in Dr Who (again already saw every episode when it aired up to the new Matt Smith Doctor. Can't stand him so stopped watching), and no interest in watching Being Human. Didn't care to watch the US version either. Also not interested in Torchwood. I watched a few episodes of that years ago and didn't like it.

As for the L&O's, I did see them all when they aired as well, but do have them in my queue, but finding one I didn't see or don't remember is tough.

Finding anything worthwhile is just really tough for me.

If you like foreign movies, I recommend watch The Twilight Samurai, Silmido, and Castaway on the Moon. Those are probably my favorite three movies on Netflix at the moment with Castaway on the Moon being my top pick as I have watched it three times now. Some Chinese movies to see are: King of Masks, Red Cliff, and Little Big Soldier.

Just watched The Robber and The man from nowhere. Both recommended.... Good movies.

I will watch castaway per above recommendation. Saw silmido - awesome film.

[quote name='camoor']I saw they put up Blown Away but instead of the Tommy Lee Jones/Jeff Bridges version its some teenage skin flick. Damnit!![/QUOTE]

How can you not like a naked young Nicole Eggert.

Finished the Wonder Years, sad ending. I'm in the middle of playing Skyrim, so I really want some good fantasy or Skyrim type stuff to watch on Netflix (movies or TV) any recommendations?

Probably because they want to have both the series and the movie wrapped so the movie can premiere very soon after the series finale.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Netflix's servers seem to be crapping it up again as my instant queue has been back to the old, stripped down list from a few months ago.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, a bunch of videos I had added to my instant queue have disappeared and are now listed as unavailable. Like Star Trek: TNG, Rocko's Modern Life, etc.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Did anyone else get an email about a class action lawsuit involving Netflix and Walmart? I'm not sure if it's legit or just a phishing attempt.[/QUOTE]
It's legit, and there was a story up on CNN about it. It seems like most of the money would go to the lawyers.

[quote name='Solid Scarecrow']dont most class action lawsuits go to lawyers anyways?[/QUOTE]
Pretty much, which makes it seem pointless. At most we'll probably get a coupon or something.

So I took advantage of a bunch of free Xbox Live Gold vouchers and have experienced Netflix via the 360 for the first time in my life. It far exceeds the built-in Netflix app on my TV. (If there's a way to upgrade the app residing on my TV I haven't found it.)

My question for the CAG braintrust is does Netflix stream different quality video to different apps? Or is the stream the same and the app on the other end (be it on a 360, TV's internal software, Wii, etc.) degrades that to match the available resolution? I'm ignorant on this so that phrasing may not even make sense. I know if I get Netflix via the Wii, I can't expect better than 480p due to the Wii's limitations. Is the stream going to the Wii a, say, 720p stream that the Netflix software for Wii converts to 480p?

Maybe I should just get to my concern: movies/TV look better coming through the 360 Netflix software than they do coming through the TV's built-in app. I want to know if this is reality or just perception altered by the 360's snazzier looking Netflix interface.

The stream for the ps3 and 360 can be in HD if your internet is fast enough and if it's available. Not everything is in HD.

I've noticed one thing, whether streamed to a phone or bigger tablet, the netflix stream seems to be of the same resolution. While it may look fine on a small phone, it looks pretty bad stretched out on a tablet.

bread's done
Back