Netflix Streaming Thread 2.0

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']If Netflix tripled the cost of streaming, but put every major release on the streaming service as quick as they do for for the disc system, would you guys be all right with that?[/QUOTE]

Sure. That would be $24 plus tax a month to watch pretty much any movie or TV show I wanted to anytime I wanted. I'd be all over that.

Same here. It would be pretty nuts to be able to do that. But when I think about it, all of the licensing fees as they are now just doesn't seem like it would make it possible.

I wonder if we're moving to a future where something like that could one day be feasible, when costs are lowered due to the ease and increased customer base paying for the service.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']If Netflix tripled the cost of streaming, but put every major release on the streaming service as quick as they do for for the disc system, would you guys be all right with that?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Don't care about newer stuff. If they had an optional higher tier for stuff like that it would be fine, but to put that in place of the current system would be awful.

Terriers is a recommended watch, if nobody has said this lately. A shame this show got cancelled/didn't get renewed.

I also watched the entire run of The Good Guys twice. I was shocked at how good/hilarious this show was after writing it off when it was first announced (not a big Colin Hanks fan). Wish I would have tuned in and been part of the success instead of part of the problem -- granted, it was in the doomsday Friday night time slot from the beginning.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Nope. Don't care about newer stuff. If they had an optional higher tier for stuff like that it would be fine, but to put that in place of the current system would be awful.[/QUOTE]

same here the newer stuff coming out is mostly shit ( mainly in the usa) i like what they have on it now hell they even have silent movies from the 20s bet you cant get that on hulu. netflix isnt for those looking for the newest latest its more for those old school video store types who remember what a good mom and pop video store could be like as well as those who dig on nostaliga when it comes to old tv shows and movies.

its also a good place for people who like foreign films and shows.the anime stuff needs some serious fine tuning.

Actually no, I'd cancel my sub immediately. I don't subscribe for any new releases, I sub for the older stuff/tv shows. At $25 it'd be way overpriced and not worth it.

To clarify, by having every major release I assumed that meant both all new releases and all past released--essentially having everything they have available on disc and streaming currently all available on streaming.

I'd pay a lot for that as there's just too much missing on streaming currently. I don't watch many TV series as I just don't have time for that unless I'm not playing video games at all. Still had tons of movies in my instant queue when I canceled, so the selection is good (just not enough time to watch them right now).

But I do care about newer releases as there is a ton of good stuff coming out if you look beyond the mainstream hollywood releases (and plenty of those are still enjoyable, and lots of the award season releases are very good). But beyond that, streaming is often missing newer indie and foreign films as well as documentaries at times. Much better selection of those than newer hollywood releases for sure, but still missing to many for me to every consider dropping discs and keeping streaming only.

But to each their own of course. If you're not at all interested in newer stuff and just mainly watch TV shows etc. then the current streaming is ideal in terms of content and pricing.

I'm in.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Does anyone else absolutely despise the new interface on the 360? I cannot stand it.[/QUOTE]

I hate going from the dashboard to Netflix (why can't there just be a Netflix button under "video" instead of having to go into "video apps" first?) but I don't mind the new Netflix interface itself other than the fact you can't seem to restart anything without rewinding and they removed the skip feature.

The only way I would pay 3x as much for streaming would be if they got less lazy about putting anime on there, as well as movies, AND they got more anime (because there are a lot of animes that I wish they would get in disc format and they refuse to get)

I've been finding a number of gems of netflix over the holidays. Here are some:

Castaway on the Moon
Aftershock
Kill the irishman
Chaser
Bad Lieutenant
The Disappearance of Alice Creed
The Horseman (awesome revenge flick)
I saw the devil (another awesome revenge flick)

And of course, 13 Assassins needs mentioning again, because if you haven't seen it, you deserve to be raped by a power tool.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Does anyone else absolutely despise the new interface on the 360? I cannot stand it.[/QUOTE]

I HATE that you cant browse a shows episodes without clicking and starting the show first.

Say you wanted to watch a random episode of Arrested, you have to just click the picture of it. Let it buffer. Pause it. Then select more episodes. Trivial but annoying.

Layout is terrible. Why does it wait to shift to the next row of movies in the genre until you get to the end of the screen. Why not slide the list along as i scroll.

bah.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']I would second more anime on Netflix. Simply Gundam would be great. And thanks for tell me about Kill the Irishman is streaming!![/QUOTE]

add my vote to more anime and the option for subs over dubs. id also like access to a complete list of all they have. and the ability to organize your saved movies.

So is this the current pricing structure?

• Unlimited streaming — $7.99 [$95.88 per year]
  • Unlimited DVD, one DVD out at a time — $7.99 (add $2.00 for Blu-Ray) [$95.88 per year; $119.88 for Blu-Ray]
  • Unlimited DVD, two DVDs out at a time — $11.99 (add $2.00 for Blu-Ray) [$143.88 per year; $167.88 for Blu-Ray]
  • Unlimited streaming and DVD, one DVD out at a time — $15.98 (add $2.00 for Blu-Ray) [$191.76 per year; $215.76 for Blu-Ray]
Are there any taxes or other hidden fees? I'm thinking about gifting a year of Netflix to my sister and brother-in-law for Christmas (we celebrate with them the first weekend after New Year's every year)... probably streaming + 1 blu-ray out at a time so $215.76 for the year.

I think you have the Bluray fee wrong (unless it's changed).

It's $1 plus $1 more per disc on your plan. So the 1 disc plan is a $2 BR free, 2 disc is a $3 fee, and so on.

But moot if you're only interested in the 1 disc plan. :D

[quote name='dmaul1114']I think you have the Bluray fee wrong (unless it's changed).

It's $1 plus $1 more per disc on your plan. So the 1 disc plan is a $2 BR free, 2 disc is a $3 fee, and so on.

But moot if you're only interested in the 1 disc plan. :D[/QUOTE]

Got it - thanks.... I'm really torn about which plan to get. I don't know how often they would use the disc part of the plan (could be all the time or never or somewhere in the middle - they aren't "tech savvy" at all but they watch movies as much as the next person, I guess). They have a Wii for streaming although I think their new-ish TV (2 years?) has connectivity/app support so they might be able to get it in HD. Hmm...

I'm also hoping Netflix allows you to pay for a year up front so I don't get a monthly bill. I just want to be one and done with the payments and then leave it up to them if they want to keep it going beyond 2012.

[quote name='Javery']Nice... although it appears to be streaming only? Weird.[/QUOTE]

the streaming is very worth it depending on your tastes. i wish they had more older 70-90s cartons but aside from that thay have a healthy foreign film selection. ive been wasting alot of time on british shows of late hell they have alot of great tv.

For anyone who hasn't seen Sherlock yet, it's well worth watching. It's a BBC show that puts Sherlock Holmes and Watson in a modern setting. The first season is up - it consists of three 90 minute episodes.

I watched "Crossing The Line" which is a documentary about a US Soldier who defected to North Korea in the 60s and still lives there. Very interesting look at North Korea.

I have watched 3 films on my Xbox since the dashboard update and all have required me to completely crank the volume on my receiver. I never had a problem with the volume using the old Netflix app.

Is there any way to fix the volume on the console, or is this just how the app works now? I have to remember to turn down the volume for games or regular tv or else I'd go deaf!

By the way, I just watched "The Horseman". A bit disturbing, but how far would you go to get revenge for your daughter's death?

With the new app... am I the only one having more trouble getting to 'kick in' to HD (or, at least, what Netflix calls HD)?

I used to have no problem, but I've had a handful of HD-labeled movies in the past month just sort of sit and 2-3 bars the whole time. Unless my internet magically changed the same time that the Netflix app did, I'm sort of inclined to believe it's on Netflix.

It's also a big part of why I dislike the new auto-play thing... it used to figure out the quality before it started. This new 'hey, it'll kick in to HD about 45 seconds into the movie (maybe)' shit aggravates me.

Just finished Warehouse 13 (it is corny but OK - like an X-Files light or something). Just started The League - first 2 episodes were hilarious so I have high hopes.

watched the survivors great show but like many great shows it got cancelled and wont finish. gonna watch dr who seen the random episode here and there itll be interesting to see it from the beginning. id also suggest black books as a good show to watch.

[quote name='007']With the new app... am I the only one having more trouble getting to 'kick in' to HD (or, at least, what Netflix calls HD)?

I used to have no problem, but I've had a handful of HD-labeled movies in the past month just sort of sit and 2-3 bars the whole time. Unless my internet magically changed the same time that the Netflix app did, I'm sort of inclined to believe it's on Netflix.

It's also a big part of why I dislike the new auto-play thing... it used to figure out the quality before it started. This new 'hey, it'll kick in to HD about 45 seconds into the movie (maybe)' shit aggravates me.[/QUOTE]

OMG ! I have been searching and searching to see if anyone else has had this problem ! I guess its just not me. With the old Netflix App any content that was "HD" would be HD....but now I am stuck at the 3rd bar in connection, sometimes even the 2nd bar :hot::hot:

[quote name='Javery']Just finished Warehouse 13 (it is corny but OK - like an X-Files light or something). Just started The League - first 2 episodes were hilarious so I have high hopes.[/QUOTE]
It only gets better.

Wish I woulda found this thread sooner. I never go to the OT forum. Anyway, I watched 'The Wave' over some time off around Christmas..a foreign (german) film about high schoolers believing another Hitler couldnt happen. Awesome film if you like foreign movies..they always seem a little grittier to me.

It seems like they have not updated anything in a while. I still see many of the same movies on the newly added list.

[quote name='Tsel']So do you guys go to any sites to see the newly added content or do you rely solely on what Netflix tells you?[/QUOTE]

I use instantwatcher.com, but sometimes it doesn't update for everything that was added that day, but it will eventually show up.

I normally click the "Visual" link at the top and look there. It's much easier to see what movies were added. Anyone have any other sites they use?

I don't know if I saw it in here or where but I am enjoying watching BBC version of Being Human. A girl from work really loves White Collar on USA and bought me the first season for Xmas. Since WC is on Netflix streaming, I took the DVDs to Wal Mart for some credit so everyone makes out. Its an ok show.

[quote name='007']With the new app... am I the only one having more trouble getting to 'kick in' to HD (or, at least, what Netflix calls HD)?

It's also a big part of why I dislike the new auto-play thing... it used to figure out the quality before it started. This new 'hey, it'll kick in to HD about 45 seconds into the movie (maybe)' shit aggravates me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I noticed that too. Another annoying thing about the new NF app..

I cannot stand the new Netflix layout. There isn't one redeeming feature that I've come across, to be honest. It's not as fluid or functional. I'm also on the same boat as you guys where the HD doesn't kick in until later or sometimes not at all. It's very frustrating.

Yeah, the 360 Netflix "app" is a joke. It's terrible to navigate, the goofy autostart pisses me off too. I find the delayed HD isn't so bad...as long as you're only watching TV shows where the "previously on" portion consumes all the time it takes to buffer.

This new dash pretty much fucked up everything that worked fine previously and didn't add a single solitary thing that I would call a nice addition. Microsoft dropped the ball hard. Every app seems to use the same shitty layout the dash does.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Yeah, the 360 Netflix "app" is a joke. It's terrible to navigate, the goofy autostart pisses me off too. I find the delayed HD isn't so bad...as long as you're only watching TV shows where the "previously on" portion consumes all the time it takes to buffer.

This new dash pretty much fucked up everything that worked fine previously and didn't add a single solitary thing that I would call a nice addition. Microsoft dropped the ball hard. Every app seems to use the same shitty layout the dash does.[/QUOTE]

It drives me insane that I can't pick an episode of a show before starting the show. They've really fucked this interface in the face. The navigation is atrocious.

bread's done
Back