Netflix Streaming Thread 2.0

[quote name='Javery']Quick! Recommend me a TV show. Something good obviously, sci-fi maybe? No comedies either unless it is really funny (we just finished Warehouse 13 and The League and liked them both).

EDIT: Thoughts on...

- Life On Mars
- Psych
- Damages

???

I want to try Doctor Who but after watching the fist 4 or 5 episodes I don't think my wife will put up with it.[/QUOTE]
Doctor Who is great, just tell her to give it a shot.

[quote name='mitch079']The IT Crowd is hilarious.[/QUOTE]
I love this show, even if you don't work in IT the characters themselves are just great.

I really really really enjoyed Being Human (U.S) it's a great show, if you're into vampires, and supernatural type being like werewolves and ghosts lol.

and i'm sure its been posted a dozen times, but FeedFliks is where its at.

Hidden Palms was actually pretty good for a chick flick soap opera type show. Only 8 episodes also and at the end you could tell they had to rush it because the show was getting cancelled.

WATCH JERICHO!!! I didn't even realize it was up. Very good show. Once again (like Hidden Palms) it was cancelled and you get to season two and see that EVERYTHING is rushed to finish it off. Well worth the watch though.

Testing a new format - listed (w/ links) the most recent updates to IS, along with the past two days. Lots of stuff cropped up on Monday (1/23) including Ghostbusters 2, The Exorcist and Serenity.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Scorch']Testing a new format - listed (w/ links) the most recent updates to IS, along with the past two days. Lots of stuff cropped up on Monday (1/23) including Ghostbusters 2, The Exorcist and Serenity.[/QUOTE]

Love the new format. OP looks slick now. :cool:

I just watched "Carrier" which is a 10-hour documentary series about life aboard the USS Nimitz, which is an Aircraft Carrier. It was very, very good. Highly entertaining and interesting. Would recommend.

[quote name='punklivz']I really really really enjoyed Being Human (U.S) it's a great show, if you're into vampires, and supernatural type being like werewolves and ghosts lol.

and i'm sure its been posted a dozen times, but FeedFliks is where its at.[/QUOTE]

The US version of Being Human pretty much covers all the downsides the BBC version. That, Alphas and Merlin are probably the only shows keeping Syfy relevant.

Speaking of Merlin, I just recently started it on Netflix (about 10 episodes in) and it's really a great show if you're into Arthurian Romance and Fantasy.

[quote name='Duffz']I just started watching prison break (mid season 2 now), its a very good show![/QUOTE]

Great show but it dies fast. I'm sorry but you have seen the best the series has to offer already.

[quote name='WV Matsui']Great show but it dies fast. I'm sorry but you have seen the best the series has to offer already.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I didn't even make it halfway through season 2. Season 1 was great I thought.

Highly recommend Elite Squad, if you want to see what the director of the Robocop reboot can do.
I also recommend Wake Wood for awesome classical style horror.

[quote name='confoosious']Can someone recommend a good wireless bluray player that steams netflix? The parents need one... the cheaper the better.

thx[/QUOTE]

why not try a roku box dealy. its no bluray player but it does wireless and can connect to alot of tvs and be moved around with ease.

Finished Workaholics a couple of weeks ago and it's now one of my favorite shows. Any word on when/if the 2nd season will be added?

[quote name='confoosious']Can someone recommend a good wireless bluray player that steams netflix? The parents need one... the cheaper the better.

thx[/QUOTE]

Refurbished/used Playstation 3. Get one of those and the remote for it. The remote didn't really sell that well, so you can find them a hell of a lot cheaper than the original MSRP.

Does Netflix. And also does Vudu if you wanted to get newer movies a la carte, quicker than Netflix.

thx[/QUOTE]

I was just researching this for myself at Christmas and I went with the Panasonic BDT210. At the time it was only $109 (w/ free copy of Avatar) on Amazon so it wasn't a tough decision. It boots up blu-rays and dvds crazy fast, has viera cast which is updated constantly. And it has all the streaming services you could want - Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, Crackle, etc and you can always dl more through the viera cast menu. Plus it has web apps like Facebook and Youtube. And I really enjoy having a Netflix button on the remote. Pops you right into your queue even if you're in the middle of watching a bluray. Oh and the player has built in wi-fi which is nice. I recommend it.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Refurbished/used Playstation 3. Get one of those and the remote for it. The remote didn't really sell that well, so you can find them a hell of a lot cheaper than the original MSRP.

Does Netflix. And also does Vudu if you wanted to get newer movies a la carte, quicker than Netflix.[/QUOTE]

they don't want a ps3, just a sleek little blu ray player. i know i know.

[quote name='Maklershed']I was just researching this for myself at Christmas and I went with the Panasonic BDT210. At the time it was only $109 (w/ free copy of Avatar) on Amazon so it wasn't a tough decision. It boots up blu-rays and dvds crazy fast, has viera cast which is updated constantly. And it has all the streaming services you could want - Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, Crackle, etc and you can always dl more through the viera cast menu. Plus it has web apps like Facebook and Youtube. And I really enjoy having a Netflix button on the remote. Pops you right into your queue even if you're in the middle of watching a bluray. Oh and the player has built in wi-fi which is nice. I recommend it.[/QUOTE]

thanks. I'll look into that one.

Just finished Season 1 of Sherlock last night (3 episodes; 90 minutes each). It was really enjoyable - especially the season finale. I can't wait for them to add Season 2.

[quote name='Javery']Just finished Season 1 of Sherlock last night (3 episodes; 90 minutes each). It was really enjoyable - especially the season finale. I can't wait for them to add Season 2.[/QUOTE]

Watched the first two so far, I think the shows very good but find the last 25 mins or so of each when he encounters what he's looking for, drags pretty bad.

Also, the Asian actress in episode 2 is really terrific. She is in British stuff mainly, was great in Secret Diary of a Call Girl.

Ohh forgot my recommendation: Downton Abbey season 1. I know what you're probably all thinking "BBC period piece drama - sounds boring!" which is kinda what I was thinking before I started it but I assure you its good. Very interesting how it details the struggles and in fighting of the two seperate class systems. Also interesting how each class system story has its own seperate heroes and villians. Plus it has a bit of a comedic tilt to it at times to break up the drama with the two grandmothers bickering back and forth and competing with each other all the time. One of which is Maggie Smith aka Professor McGonagall in Harry Potter and she's great.

I need to watch this. My wife finished Season 1 and 2 in about a week and was annoyed I told her it looked horrible but people keep raving about it so I should probably give it a shot. It is most definitely not something I would ever be into but who knows - I thought I would hate Big Love and I ended up really liking it.

Gosford Park was all the British upstairs/downstairs drama I needed. I suppose they're an indulgence for limeys the same way that mafia bullshit is for yanks.

Does anyone know what Neflix's agreement is with content providers on updating available seasons? javery mentioned Sherlock, let's use that as an example. Will the S2 episodes be available, or was the agreement Netflix struck exclusively for the S1 content?

Also, for some reason I can only access seasons 1-4 of DS9. Why is that?

I love prison break! Season 1 is the best but I liked them all. Since I loved some of the characters, I liked to see how they progressed. The ending was pretty bad ass!

thx[/QUOTE]

Apple tv all the way! Very vey easy to use and under $100!

[quote name='shieryda']Quite a few movies disappearing from the instant queue next week, right? I have at least 8 that will be gone on 2/29.[/QUOTE]

I have 11. :(

Fortunately, they're all ones that I only had mild interest in so it won't be too much of a loss. I still may try and watch as many as I can before the 29th.

watching Being Elmo. It's fucking awesome. Though it says narrated bt Oprah Winfrey, it's not that bad. She doesn't talk much. But this doc is pretty sweet.

I'm trying to get all of the Starz Play movies that are on my queue watched by the 29th. I watched two tonight.

Frozen and And Soon The Darkness. If you have a couple hours to kill, do something else with them. These were two of the most boring movies I've seen in a long time. And Soon The Darkness is pretty much 1 hour of build-up, 15 minutes of an unsatisfying 'climax' if you will. Frozen is interesting and probably would've been better had there been likeable characters, but alas, I found myself not caring in the slightest and actually wanting them to die. Also (Frozen spoilers),
why are there the most vicious wolves on the planet in this movie?

Anyone watch The Disappearance of Alice Creed? That'll probably be the next one I tackle.

Oh my god, I tried watching Hunt to Kill starring Stone Cold Steve Austin based purely on the fact that it stars him and my god, is it awful. I knew it was a B-movie, but this is just retardedly bad. I normally don't stop movies so early, but I'm just gonna chalk this one up as a loss and abandon it forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive had netflix since it first came out. I love the streaming and i hate the streaming at the same time... they move things and take things out of my queue for example and then like a month or two later the movies pop back up on my queue. Then another thing I hate and love is the tv series... they put them on there but dont keep them current. Sons of Anarchy for example they only have like two seasons and im pretty sure there are 4... Dr Who is frustrating too cause they havent bothered to put anoy of the next two seasons on there ( when i say dr who I mean the new ones not interested in the old ones ) Just watched The world of drunken master ... good moviie love the fight scenes!!

The Disappearance of Alice Creed is good. I've been trying to get people to watch it along with a zillion other quality movies.

It's hella frustrating trying to get anyone to watch anything on Netflix that didn't have mass mainstream marketing.

If I weren't so busy I'd love to start a blog of "awesome netflix movies you never heard of."

[quote name='elessar123']Do you grind up bluray discs to fit in that?[/QUOTE]

hahaha. I already know how to stream shit. But less tech savvy people need standard stuff. Else, I've have a digital library all set for them.

[quote name='lv2sicktduck']Ive had netflix since it first came out. I love the streaming and i hate the streaming at the same time... they move things and take things out of my queue for example and then like a month or two later the movies pop back up on my queue. Then another thing I hate and love is the tv series... they put them on there but dont keep them current. Sons of Anarchy for example they only have like two seasons and im pretty sure there are 4... Dr Who is frustrating too cause they havent bothered to put anoy of the next two seasons on there ( when i say dr who I mean the new ones not interested in the old ones ) Just watched The world of drunken master ... good moviie love the fight scenes!![/QUOTE]

But that's the point. Nobody is gonna watch stuff on regular tv/cable if it's already available on netflix. "Do I wanna watch Spartacus Vengeance now or wait 2 years?" The networks gotta eat too. Every season costs money to stream.

theyve been pouring on the cheesy 70s and 80s flicks of late like orca man ive been trying to see that for years and alot of pam greir stuff.

[quote name='lv2sicktduck']Ive had netflix since it first came out. I love the streaming and i hate the streaming at the same time... they move things and take things out of my queue for example and then like a month or two later the movies pop back up on my queue. Then another thing I hate and love is the tv series... they put them on there but dont keep them current. Sons of Anarchy for example they only have like two seasons and im pretty sure there are 4... Dr Who is frustrating too cause they havent bothered to put anoy of the next two seasons on there ( when i say dr who I mean the new ones not interested in the old ones ) Just watched The world of drunken master ... good moviie love the fight scenes!![/QUOTE]

Season 3 of Sons of Anarchy is on there. I doubt you will season 4 until a few months after the DVD/Blu Ray is out.

[quote name='shieryda']"Frozen" is at the top of my queue. I will pass now.[/QUOTE]

It did keep my attention, but not really in a good way. I was only in it to see the ending, pretty much, and it really wasn't that satisfying. Interesting premise, but poorly executed.

[quote name='thrustbucket']The Disappearance of Alice Creed is good. I've been trying to get people to watch it along with a zillion other quality movies.

It's hella frustrating trying to get anyone to watch anything on Netflix that didn't have mass mainstream marketing.

If I weren't so busy I'd love to start a blog of "awesome netflix movies you never heard of."[/QUOTE]
Ive seen the disappearance of Alice Creed I really liked it. I know what you mean when you say its hard to get people to watch things.. I love foreign movies and its really hard to get people to watch the trilogy Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, Oldboy, and Lady Vengeance. I know they are on the darker side but they are really good movies. Another excellent movie is Ichi the Killer... people just don't want to read subtitles or something I'm a self professed subtitle whore. I think people should really open thier eyes to things that arent just American there is a whole world out there why miss out.

[quote name='confoosious']hahaha. I already know how to stream shit. But less tech savvy people need standard stuff. Else, I've have a digital library all set for them.

But that's the point. Nobody is gonna watch stuff on regular tv/cable if it's already available on netflix. "Do I wanna watch Spartacus Vengeance now or wait 2 years?" The networks gotta eat too. Every season costs money to stream.[/QUOTE]
I know that cable has to make money but i still think they shouldn't bother putting it on if they cant keep it current. For example when the series Heroes was huge the day after a new episode aired on TV Netflix would air the new episode as well. Both cable and Netflix used to do their thing and be able to both make money. Now you have to be content with whatever little tease they want to put on.

bread's done
Back