Netflix to offer direct downloads of shows

Brian9824

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (99%)
http://animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2007-01-16/netflix-offers-subscribers-the-option-of-instantly-watching-movies-on-their-pcs

Pretty intresting news. I guess this is netflix's counter to blockbuster's total access program and I have to say I find it to be a MUCH better idea. For starters its available to anyone while total access basically requires you to have a blockbuster close to you.

It will be intresting to see how this turns out and the type of selection they have. I'm stoked because they will offer content from ADV's new anime channel.

[quote name='Brian9824']http://animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2007-01-16/netflix-offers-subscribers-the-option-of-instantly-watching-movies-on-their-pcs

Pretty intresting news. I guess this is netflix's counter to blockbuster's total access program and I have to say I find it to be a MUCH better idea. For starters its available to anyone while total access basically requires you to have a blockbuster close to you.

It will be intresting to see how this turns out and the type of selection they have. I'm stoked because they will offer content from ADV's new anime channel.[/quote]

Awesome, I'm very interested in seeing how this pans out as well, thanks for the update

Very interesting. Yes for some it is a better idea or not, Total Access requires you to have a BB near you but this almost requires you have a broadband connection..I think BB still has the edge due to the free rental coupon for games, but Netflix has a MUCH better selection than BB..Who wins? We the consumer! weeeee

[quote name='Brian9824']http://animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2007-01-16/netflix-offers-subscribers-the-option-of-instantly-watching-movies-on-their-pcs

It will be intresting to see how this turns out and the type of selection they have. I'm stoked because they will offer content from ADV's new anime channel.[/QUOTE]
Actually, this is more Netflix's counter to iTunes than BB. BB wasn't ever going to overtake Netflix's lead, unless they cut prices in half. But Netflix's real competition is in VOD. They're trying to stay ahead of the curve.

I'd rather watch a movie on my 36" tv than on my 17" computer monitor, and if i want to watch a movie i dont want to have to wait hours for it to download.

I have a four month membership to netflix i am using now, but i dont see myself ever downloading a movie. While if i had blockbuster, i can see myself going to the store for an instant rental.

I agree this is more to compete with iTunes, than Blockbuster, and just like iTunes, it doesnt appeal to me.

[quote name='sman113']I'd rather watch a movie on my 36" tv than on my 17" computer monitor, and if i want to watch a movie i dont want to have to wait hours for it to download.

I have a four month membership to netflix i am using now, but i dont see myself ever downloading a movie. While if i had blockbuster, i can see myself going to the store for an instant rental.

I agree this is more to compete with iTunes, than Blockbuster, and just like iTunes, it doesnt appeal to me.[/QUOTE]

Some people have Media Center PC's hooked up to their TV's.

As for speed, be sure to read what you are replying to before you say anything.

Following a one-time, under-60-second installation of a simple
browser applet, most subscribers' movie selections will begin playing in
their Web browser in as little as 10 to 15 seconds. Movies can be paused
and a position bar gives viewers the ability to immediately jump to any
point in the movie. In all, the instant watching feature requires only
Internet connectivity with a minimum of one megabit per second of
bandwidth. The more bandwidth a consumer has, the higher quality the video
displayed, ranging from the quality of current Netflix previews to DVD
quality with a three-megabit-per-second connection.

It's also quite easy to hook up computers to tv's. I hook my laptop up to my tv all the time via s-video. This will be great when i'm in school. Have some time to kill and I can just download and watch a movie.

Sounds interesting. If this pans out and they don't throttle people with this. It could have me rejoining Netflix later this year.

For those who say this is a bad idea. Lets say you rented a tv series, your on disc 4. Disc 5 has the "dramatic is the main people going to die" season finale. Are you going to wait a few days until the dvd exchange happens? OR you could go to your pc and watch it without having to wait for the mailman.

I think this is a good idea, and hope it works out for the better.

[quote name='CitizenB']For those who say this is a bad idea. Lets say you rented a tv series, your on disc 4. Disc 5 has the "dramatic is the main people going to die" season finale. Are you going to wait a few days until the dvd exchange happens? OR you could go to your pc and watch it without having to wait for the mailman.

I think this is a good idea, and hope it works out for the better.[/QUOTE]
Well, this is essentially Napster/Yahoo! Music/Zune Pass for films/TV. It will be big for some, and not so much for others. But I agree with you, I can definitely see the usefulness of it.

I guess I'll sign up for another month of Netflix to give the service a try, at least I will in a couple of months once they have everything in place.

For now, I'll stick with Blockbuster Online, the Total Access service made me convert over.

The best part is that it's all in addition to your DVD rentals. It's more like a bonus for being a Netflix customer. So on average, a customer is on the 3 for $17.99 plan. That means about 18 hours of video per month. You can squeeze out about 9 movies or almost an entire season of a TV show. Not bad if you utilize your rentals as well.

For those who say that they'd rather watch it on their big screens at home, think about this: you won't have your HDTV while sitting in class or in the library. I just hope they add OS X support in the next year or so.

bread's done
Back