networking noob needs help

LaraCroftsLeftBoob

CAGiversary!
Feedback
55 (100%)
i got a dell dimension 9150 that the integrated NIC went out on. i currently have my cable modem hooked up via usb. i also have an xbox 360. i'm tired of swapping connections back and forth so i want to set up a router. are there any good routers that would hook to my comp through usb and to my xbox over ethernet cable? or does anyone have a recomendation for a good, but cheap NIC card i could add? or what about a ethernet to usb adapter? and what about a good, but not too expensive router that would work for my comp and 360? i guess i should mention i prefer wired over wireless, since i already have the ethernet cable to run to my 360, and it would save me the cost of having to buy wireless adapters.

summary:

dimension 9150, with bad integrated NIC

xbox 360

cable modem

need wired router

need NIC card or ethernet to usb adapter, or router that will hook to comp via usb and 360 via ethernet

So your NIC is dead? Pretty sure you have to replace that because there's no way you can get online through USB unless it was a wifi usb card but you don't have a wireless router and don't want one so that would be useless. Get a new NIC. I would say that if you don't use the internet on your computer at the same time as you do with your 360, a hub or switch would be fine.

Right now I have my ethernet cord from my router plugged into a hub, then my pc, ps3, and 360 plugged into that hub. I don't use any at the same time and don't experience lag in games and download/upload speeds are fine.

[quote name='dragonsho']So your NIC is dead? Pretty sure you have to replace that because there's no way you can get online through USB unless it was a wifi usb card but you don't have a wireless router and don't want one so that would be useless. Get a new NIC. I would say that if you don't use the internet on your computer at the same time as you do with your 360, a hub or switch would be fine.[/QUOTE]

Some cable modems can connect to your PC via USB as well as Ethernet. I don't think newer ones do though.

But if you wanna hook up a router, I'm pretty sure you need to get a new NIC. I don't think any routers can connect to a PC via USB though I can't say for sure.

I'd recommend getting a new NIC PCI card and a wired router if you don't want the hassle of switching wires and being able to have both PC and X360 online at once.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156107
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127091

~$35 for both, after rebate and free shipping.

bread's done
Back