Neverwinter Nights like KOTOR?

Not as much as you would think. NWN resembles older bioware games like baldur's gate and icewind dale more than it does KOTOR.

The similarities are that you have multiple dialogue and action choices in NWN like you do in KOTOR. In fact, I think you have more such options in NWN than in KOTOR. But the story is worse on NWN, and since it's older, its gameplay is less refined than in KOTOR. I enjoyed KOTOR combat much more than I did NWN combat.

I did enjoy NWN personally, but some thought it was something of a letdown, more a showcase of the aurora toolset (at least I think that's what it's called) than a great game.

The first NWN was designed to be like a D&D campaign creation tool. There's more fun to be had playing the games others have designed in NWN.

NWN is a great game. Don't bother with the expansions though - they are buggy as hell. Also don't buy the gold version - try to find a copy of the standalone version of NWN.

I have to disagree with some of these statements. I played NWN first and then KOTOR, but when compared to Baldur's Gate and Icewind, I find NWN and KOTOR to be very similar. I also found the two expansions to be much better than the original campaign, especially the second one. I would recommmend finding a Gold edition.
I do think that NWN's story isn't that good and the combat isn't as refined as KOTOR.

KOTOR is based on a modified version of the NWN engine, so yeah they are very similar in terms of gaem mechanics and the like. Its a good game, although I would reccomend the expansions. Both are awesome and I finished them before the actual original campaign. (Never had any problems with bugs or anything....)
Its a great game, worth your time.

bread's done
Back