New $282 projector TV with DVD player from Hasbro!!!

whuzizname

CAGiversary!
Well, this is EXACTLY what I've been looking for (I think). An inexpensive projector to play Xbox on. (It even looks like an Xbox....black with green trim.)

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=523&SBR=151&ID=16983

Wal-Mart has it for $282:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4016331

But the only meaningful technical spec given is: Resolutions: 557 x 234. Is that any good?

The movie on the Hasbro site claims a 1000 hour life on the "MR-11 12V bulb". I found these to be pretty inexpensive on Ebay. I think they're also used for track lighting. But are they bright enough for gaming?

Anyone seen this???

WOW, that's freaking cool. I've never seen one of those. The resolution is pretty poor, though. I wouldn't want to use it for anything better than a PS1 or N64. I doubt it has anything better than standard composite inputs either. With any projector you have to have a darkened room to get it bright enough to see well.

Thats a $300 toy... You can get a real projector for ~$500. This is absolute crap.

Keep in mind that this is a toy, and nothing more. If it gets clearanced out for $20, maybe it can be something you can have a little fun with, but it still wouldn't be very good, I wouldn't use it if someone paid me to.

[quote name='dafoomie']Thats a $300 toy... You can get a real projector for ~$500. This is absolute crap.

Keep in mind that this is a toy, and nothing more. If it gets clearanced out for $20, maybe it can be something you can have a little fun with, but it still wouldn't be very good, I wouldn't use it if someone paid me to.[/QUOTE]

Listen to the man... you get what you pay for in the electronics world unless there some sort of deal going on.

557 x 234 is standard TV resolution. So... if anything, it'll look worse than a normal TV because the picture will be faded with any light and you're stretching a low rez image across your wall.

[quote name='whuzizname']But the only meaningful technical spec given is: Resolutions: 557 x 234. Is that any good?[/QUOTE]

No. Real projectors have resolutions in the thousands.

[quote name='Kayden']557 x 234 is standard TV resolution. So... if anything, it'll look worse than a normal TV because the picture will be faded with any light and you're stretching a low rez image across your wall.[/QUOTE]

480 vertical lines of resolution is standard analog NTSC TV resolution. That is WAY below TV resolution, and at that resolution, it's nearing 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio, neither TV nor video games run at.

[quote name='Vegan']No. Real projectors have resolutions in the thousands.[/QUOTE]

Not really. Most Computer based projectors use standard computer resolutions. HD TV projectors are only as large as HD TV, so 1080i/p would be 1920x1080. So, a thousand, but hardly "thousands" as you implied.

[quote name='dafoomie']Thats a $300 toy... You can get a real projector for ~$500. This is absolute crap.

Keep in mind that this is a toy, and nothing more. If it gets clearanced out for $20, maybe it can be something you can have a little fun with, but it still wouldn't be very good, I wouldn't use it if someone paid me to.[/QUOTE]

~500, really? I don't think I've ever seen a good projector for under $899 (except on Black Friday)

There are some projectors that work well in light. I have a sony from about 6 years ago (not vega, but retailed for about 2k). It works just like a normal tv. It's 46 inches and you can see the picture no matter what angle you are at and it looks perfectly normal in a well lit room. The improvement I get in the dark is the same that I'd get with a tube tv.

This is just like the cheap VGA projector on eBay, except it has no DVD player...

The resolution is very low, at 60 inches it will look absolutely horrible.

Go smaller and it might look alright, if the room is right...

but, for $200 more you can get a real projector or better yet, a real CRT tube HDTV, which can display 480p and 1080i natively.

[quote name='whuzizname']Resolutions: 557 x 234. Is that any good?[/QUOTE]Don't you know the answer yourself? If your computer is 1280x1024.... well, it's a simple comparison. Bottom line - It sucks. It's only HALF the resolution of old analog TV (557x480). Your movies would look like 40-year-old videos. Blurry & indistinct.

I wouldn't buy it at any price. What would I do with it? One of those Mickey Mouse TV sets at Target would look better than that thing, probably for cheaper.

bread's done
Back