New 3D TV - Would Best Buy Price Match Amazon?

kenjimeadu

CAGiversary!
So I'm thinking about the Samsung 7000 series, only because it's a few bucks more than the 6900 and it's 3D. I'm not so much sold on 3D, but if I can get 240HZ for that price, I'll do it. Anywho, my question is this:

I found my dream TV in store at Best Buy for 2099, but I also found it online with Amazon for 1759 or so. Best Buy has always said they would price match Amazon, and for me - at least - they've done it in the past. What does CAG think about getting the same treatment for a TV? Do I have any shot?

[quote name='kenjimeadu']So I'm thinking about the Samsung 7000 series, only because it's a few bucks more than the 6900 and it's 3D. I'm not so much sold on 3D, but if I can get 240HZ for that price, I'll do it. Anywho, my question is this:

I found my dream TV in store at Best Buy for 2099, but I also found it online with Amazon for 1759 or so. Best Buy has always said they would price match Amazon, and for me - at least - they've done it in the past. What does CAG think about getting the same treatment for a TV? Do I have any shot?[/QUOTE]

At such a huge difference they might not. However you can try to get on their good side by buying overprice accessories to get on their good side (and return later)

most best buys will not match an online retailer, its even in their policy, even though there is an option in the price reduction screen. if you get a manager that actually cares about customers and wanted to close the sale to boost numbers, then yes you could get it to work.

[quote name='Animal7390']most best buys will not match an online retailer, its even in their policy, even though there is an option in the price reduction screen. if you get a manager that actually cares about customers and wanted to close the sale to boost numbers, then yes you could get it to work.[/QUOTE]

Actually if the manager cares about numbers that matter they will not price match that. Best Buy does not normally put TVs on sale, its that they get a kickback from the manufacturer. If they take a discount beyond the original kickback the manufactures does not give the "rebate" back.

That would create a negative margin sale making them lose money on the TV. You can't boost numbers when it costs you money. =)

Also, BB might have a bundle package with the 3d blu ray player and glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say give it a try. We just priced matched an ipod touch from amazon. Like stated above, buy a harmony remote and some hdmi cables then tell them about amazon. If they aren't having it, just pass. Mention another store and they'll strongly consider it.

It is in their stated store policy on PMs that they won't match Internet retailers.

Anything above and beyond that is at the discretion of the store manager, who may make a one-time exception for you and this purchase. I'm sure if your purchased an extended warranty on the TV at the time of purchase, he might be more willing to help you, since warranties are huge margin items for them.

Thing is, if you don't want 3D, I've seen plenty of people on AVSForum.com talk about how the 6800/6900 (6900 is a BB-specific 6800) has as good PQ as the 7000, if not better.

When I bought my TV from Best Buy two years ago, they price matched Amazon for me. I had a print out of Amazon's page with their price on it. They took it and actually checked the website to make sure that was the current price. They would have added on shipping costs to the price they matched, but Amazon had free shipping. The salesperson I dealt with told me that it was ultimately up to the manager if they'd price match. It seems like you have to get the right manager, and the policy may have changed since I got my TV.

Actually when we bought our 55" LED last fall, they were willing to PM a more obscure website... but would not honor the additional free Blu ray player ....

But the pm price alone was substantially less than their retail price....

Sorry, do not remember the exact numbers...

Ended up waiting a few more weeks and BBuy had the exact model on for a special one nite savings event...

Oh, and I they did pm Amazon for a Dual Shock 3 once...

So, go in with confidence, ask for the Manager and try!

I would say no simply because, as already mentioned, this sale would probably result in a negative margin sale for Best Buy.

However, I would would approach it with the intention of buying the TV, at Amazon's price, plus the blacktie warranty and a few super overpriced HDMI cables.

The warranty and the HDMI cables could then be returned within 30 days.

Trying a deal like this would present the BB manager with the idea that they are losing a little on the TV but making a nice amount on the cables + the basically 100% profit that the warranty is.

All that being said, the only online offers I've ever got BB to match were for games and movies.....no big ticket items.

Just buy it from Amazon. Even if BB PM's the price you're still going to have to pay tax.

bread's done
Back