New 60gb PS3s @ gohastings.com $399.99 (also refurb for 256.49)

[quote name='Blitz_Pro']Why is this so expensive? $100 more than the slim 120 GB[/QUOTE]

Because it essentially has a $100 dollar Playstation 2 built into it.

[quote name='RLaidEPeas']Because it essentially has a $100 dollar Playstation 2 built into it.[/QUOTE]

You could probably tape a ps3 slim onto a ps2 slim and get the same size and less heat/electricity than this. :)

[quote name='joeboosauce']$100 extra to play PS2 games? I don't think so...[/QUOTE]

I realize that what I'm about to do is going to ruin your secret identity as the comic book villain "Hater Man™", who is infamous for his appearances to ruin special events like Christmas, Easter, birthdays and Taylor Swift award acceptance speeches, but I must do what I must do.

1) Any time a manufacturer releases a product at launch that carries special features which are absent in later models, that particular product becomes a "novelty item". This novelty item is worth more money than it normally launched for at later dates. That's what people here look for, given that they're not just gamers looking for a deal but also gamers looking for a deal on a collector's item.

2) The launch PS3 didn't just "play" PS2 games, it upscaled them and very well, I might add. Don't get me wrong, I was a huge advocate of the "just buy a PS2" route, but when I played Persona 4 on a regular PS2 after playing it on my friend's PS3, I was confounded with sadness because it looked much better on his system. A lot of the jagged lines were gone.

3) A lot of people like the ease of having one system that does everything for them and having the ability to play the same games on one system for the cost of the two systems separately is a very good deal. Why? It saves space, it's aesthetically nicer, it's convenient, it saves you the trouble of having extra controllers, power cables, video cables, surround sound cables.

So in closing, please don't address the whole "launch PS3" matter until you've read 1-3 and are well informed.

Thanks for stopping by.

[quote name='NamelessMC']I realize that what I'm about to do is going to ruin your secret identity as the comic book villain "Hater Man™", who is infamous for his appearances to ruin special events like Christmas, Easter, birthdays and Taylor Swift award acceptance speeches, but I must do what I must do.

1) Any time a manufacturer releases a product at launch that carries special features which are absent in later models, that particular product becomes a "novelty item". This novelty item is worth more money than it normally launched for at later dates. That's what people here look for, given that they're not just gamers looking for a deal but also gamers looking for a deal on a collector's item.

2) The launch PS3 didn't just "play" PS2 games, it upscaled them and very well, I might add. Don't get me wrong, I was a huge advocate of the "just buy a PS2" route, but when I played Persona 4 on a regular PS2 after playing it on my friend's PS3, I was confounded with sadness because it looked much better on his system. A lot of the jagged lines were gone.

3) A lot of people like the ease of having one system that does everything for them and having the ability to play the same games on one system for the cost of the two systems separately is a very good deal. Why? It saves space, it's aesthetically nicer, it's convenient, it saves you the trouble of having extra controllers, power cables, video cables, surround sound cables.

So in closing, please don't address the whole "launch PS3" matter until you've read 1-3 and are well informed.

Thanks for stopping by.[/QUOTE]

nice.

[quote name='NamelessMC']I realize that what I'm about to do is going to ruin your secret identity as the comic book villain "Hater Man™", who is infamous for his appearances to ruin special events like Christmas, Easter, birthdays and Taylor Swift award acceptance speeches, but I must do what I must do.

I agree with buying ps3 since it makes it so much easier and looks visually appealing but since i got imports and "backup" games running on my ps2, i don't see any chance of ps3 bc compatibility, especially on backups and imports. So I would probably buy a separate ps2 for this reason ;)

wut.

Your semi-informative post just KO'd me.

Don't forget, the 60gb also has more USB ports, memory card reader, and can play SACDs. Granted, the first two things can be mitigated by buying additional hardware, and not many people care about SACDs, but they took out more than "duct taping a PS2" would fix...

While it's ridiculous to pay inflated Ebay prices for one, at this price and if you are in the market for a PS3...

You'll be stupid to not pick one up.

I actually got an order in before it was out of stock, but I'm skeptical as to whether it will actually ship. What are the odds that they just now put the last remaining stock up on their website, or that no one had noticed it until now. I did a quick search on ebay and a new 60gb is selling for nearly a grand, and sometimes more.

I'm not holding my breath, but it would be a nice surprise if it does actually ship and is in fact new.

How many people actually got an order in before it was out of stock? I actually ordered 2 of them and I didn't order until after 3am EST. The thread had been up for at least 3 hours at that point.

Don't forget. It also had 4 usb ports on it.

[quote name='salparadise78']How many people actually got an order in before it was out of stock? I actually ordered 2 of them and I didn't order until after 3am EST. The thread had been up for at least 3 hours at that point.[/QUOTE]

out of curiosity why would you order 2 of them?

A little off topic, but how well does an upscaling A/V receiver do on upscaling PS2 titles? My receiver will upscale but I don't have a PS2 to try it. Maybe I'll borrow my brother-in-law's PS2 and see.

It's a shame I missed out on this. Mine still works, but I would've bought another one, just in case it ever broke.

Don't 60GB PS3s go for $1000+ brand new on the "after market"? Anyway I see 60GB PS3s at pawn shops for around $250 or even less, and they usually have cheap warranties (except for mom n pop shops). Might be worth calling around if you really wanted a 60GB, but honestly I'd go for the 120GB slim unless you want to change the hard drive out on the 60GB. Considering some of the install sizes for PS3 games you'll fill up a 60GB PS3 HDD faster than a 20GB 360 HDD ;)

I have the OG 60GB and its the shit.

1 box plays all my PS1/2/3 games.

It also upscales them, and it has 4 USB ports, and card readers (which I actually use).

Let's not forget a host of other excellent features that you may never see on another console again. In addition to absolute complete bc with PS1 and PS2, and the aforementioned upscaling, the 60gb has 4 usb slots which is quite handy when you've got multiple things to charge simultaneously (controllers, headset, PSP, etc.); and more importantly it has incredible memory card support--not just Sony Produos, but SDs, mini sds...also very nice if you've got a bevy of cards for a bevy or portable electronics...

So yeah, the 60gb is really the system to own. Great find OP!

I have a 60GB and I could care less....I wish I would have sold it while the getting was good. I see EBAY prices going for about the price of a new PS3....so, one shouldn't have to pay a premium. Although, getting a NIB might be harder. I would sell mine for the right offer...just transferring everything would be a hassle.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']OK, I'm wondering if these 60GBs are new. Anyone who orders, please report back when you receive. :)[/QUOTE]
I will, I'm skeptical though. I only received the order confirmation, but no shipping estimate or anything like that. I will update as the info comes in.

[quote name='jumpercable']OOS :(

anyone know if the ps2 component cables upscale as good as the BC ps3s?[/QUOTE]

I don't believe the PS2 upscales at all. It will only output a 480p signal, just like the Wii. Having recently gotten an HDTV and component cables for the Wii, the biggest issue is jaggies, but IMO it's an acceptable trade-off for the things that are improved.

[quote name='NamelessMC']I realize that what I'm about to do is going to ruin your secret identity as the comic book (Hip-Hop) villain "Hater Man™", who is infamous for his appearances to ruin special events like Christmas, Easter, birthdays and Taylor Swift award acceptance speeches, and Wack Mainstream Rap Concerts (you forgot this ;)) but I must do what I must do.[/QUOTE]
Whats this?

Secret Identity?
VILLAIN? :twisted:
comic book?
hip-hop?

......:whistle2:k

MADVILLAIN! :bomb:

This is now a Madvillain Appreciation Thread. Post some Madvillain appreciation/content!
Madvillain.jpg

"Madvillain" - Madlib and MF DOOM

madvillain-madvillainy2.jpg

Madvillainy - The Album

madvillain-allcaps1.JPG
\
All Caps - "Just remember, ALL CAPS when you spell the man's name" - Madvillain

Mad05.jpg

"She told him "Wear the Mask"
He said "You bet your sweet ass"" - Madvillain

"Went to hell and back, saw devil sellin crack. In fact,
had to come back with the brother with the mask by yelling "BLACK!"" - WildChild on Madvillain

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']OK, I'm wondering if these 60GBs are new. Anyone who orders, please report back when you receive. :)[/QUOTE]

I ordered a 60GB from Amazon a few months back when they came back into stock there. Sadly, when I received it, it was used. I hope you guys have better luck.

[quote name='crazy1moretime']Mine has shipped! I ordered the used one on Sat.[/QUOTE]

Make sure you have a warranty. YLOD on the 60gb is too frequent to take a chance.

[quote name='elemnopee']I understand the benefits of the 60gb, but aren't the 60gb models more prone to YLOD than other models?[/QUOTE]

My 60gb was so loud that I could not even watch a blu-ray. It also got extremely hot and would shut down about 1 1/2 hours into a movie. I returned it. The replacement model did not get as hot but was even louder. Returned it as well, got a ps2 slim and was given a LE MGS4 Gun Metal Gray 40gb. The 40gb is gimped out compared to the 60gb but it is so quiet and never over heats. Replaced the 40gb HD with a 250gb WD Scorpio Black HD. It is now a pretty good media server.

I hope you have better luck with your 60gb.

I still haven't heard anything from Hastings about shipment of my "new" 60gb PS3. I'm definitely losing hope on this one. Anyone who ordered a new one get a delivery confirmation yet or receive theirs?

bread's done
Back