New 60gb PS3s @ gohastings.com $399.99 (also refurb for 256.49)

My 60gb has been running smoothly since launch. I also wish I could have sold mind, since I have no use for the BC and the 4 usb slots. I also now pretty much play all games on the 360 except for the PS3 exclusives of course. My 60gb is going to waste as a media server.

[quote name='azngtlman']My 60gb has been running smoothly since launch. I also wish I could have sold mind, since I have no use for the BC and the 4 usb slots. I also now pretty much play all games on the 360 except for the PS3 exclusives of course. My 60gb is going to waste as a media server.[/QUOTE]

This, except mine is a VERY expensive Blu-Ray player. I use it for movies nearly exclusively. Although I will play God of War III when it comes out.

If anyone in the southern CA area is interested in a used 60 GB PS3, I'm sellin mine for $300 and it comes with two controllers and a ton of PS1 and PS2 games. Send me a PM if interested.

[quote name='elemnopee']I understand the benefits of the 60gb, but aren't the 60gb models more prone to YLOD than other models?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but there are no numbers out there to suggest that they are dropping at such a rate that they should be avoided.

I don't know what some of you guys are smoking, but have you guys actually played a PS2 game upscaled on PS3?

I've had my 60GB since the day it dropped to $500 and they were giving out 5 free Blu Rays, and while it's nice to be able to play all three generations of PlayStation games in my living room, there isn't some amazing difference with the PS2 games like the posts in this thread are suggesting.

PS2 games look a little better on my 40" Samsung than when using component cables and my PS2 slim, but really, it still looks like shit. I played through ZoE2, GTA:SA, Jak & Daxter, and MGS3 on the PS3 when I still lived in a shared duplex and space was too limited for a ton of consoles in my room. Since I got my own place though, I have a nice SDTV for my older consoles and I just use that for my PS2 gaming now.

There isn't nearly enough difference that should encourage anyone to go out and search out a 60GB model when you could have a cheaper, brand new 120GB slim PS3 (and if you need it - a new PS2 slim) for the same price or cheaper.

[quote name='SimaYi']Does Sony keep popping out a couple of these things every 9 months to piss people off?[/QUOTE]
Backstock.

I remember a couple of years ago Play-Asia came upon two pallets of OG GameBoy backstock. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD.

In big warehouses these things happen.

[quote name='autopiloton']I don't know what some of you guys are smoking, but have you guys actually played a PS2 game upscaled on PS3?

I've had my 60GB since the day it dropped to $500 and they were giving out 5 free Blu Rays, and while it's nice to be able to play all three generations of PlayStation games in my living room, there isn't some amazing difference with the PS2 games like the posts in this thread are suggesting.

PS2 games look a little better on my 40" Samsung than when using component cables and my PS2 slim, but really, it still looks like shit. I played through ZoE2, GTA:SA, Jak & Daxter, and MGS3 on the PS3 when I still lived in a shared duplex and space was too limited for a ton of consoles in my room. Since I got my own place though, I have a nice SDTV for my older consoles and I just use that for my PS2 gaming now.

There isn't nearly enough difference that should encourage anyone to go out and search out a 60GB model when you could have a cheaper, brand new 120GB slim PS3 (and if you need it - a new PS2 slim) for the same price or cheaper.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with this. I have had a 60 gb ps3 from launch, and have compared it directly to a ps2 game running through component cables on a hdtv. There is a noticeable difference (mostly in the area of anti aliasing), especially noticeable when you play games that don't natively support progressive scan on the ps2 they are going to look even worse. Another issue is games that don't support widescreen can be 'fitted' with the ps3 upscaler on a HDTV. These features, in conjunction with the 2 extra usb ports (4 total which is nice since I have ps3 camera, buzz controller adapter, charging cable, and ps3 bluetooth all plugged in), and built it memory card slots for SD, Compact flash, and memory stick all combine to make the 60gb ps3 a very attractive model to those in the market for a ps2 and ps3. Another thing to take into consideration is most of us don't wan't 5 or 6 different devices plugged into our tv, especially with overlapping functionality.

To all the people who say they just play their xbox, and ps3 is a overglorified bluray player, just wait till your third xbox dies and is out of warranty, and your "overglorified bluray player" is still working. There is something to be said for reliability in a product, and that is a pretty major department the xbox is lacking in.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jamesesdad']There is a noticeable difference (mostly in the area of anti aliasing), especially noticeable when you play games that don't natively support progressive scan on the ps2 they are going to look even worse. Another issue is games that don't support widescreen can be 'fitted' with the ps3 upscaler on a HDTV. These features, in conjunction with the 2 extra usb ports (4 total which is nice since I have ps3 camera, buzz controller adapter, charging cable, and ps3 bluetooth all plugged in), and built it memory card slots for SD, Compact flash, and memory stick all combine to make the 60gb ps3 a very attractive model to those in the market for a ps2 and ps3. Another thing to take into consideration is most of us don't wan't 5 or 6 different devices plugged into our tv, especially with overlapping functionality.[/QUOTE]

I do not disagree that the there is a noticeable difference. However, that difference being an improvement worthy of seeking out an older model that is higher priced is what I don't agree with.

After the PS2 game is smoothed and upscaled it still looks crappy because it takes on a blurry/hazy look to it when smoothing out the image. To me, that's not much of an step up, and definitely not something I would use as a point to push someone to drop more money on.

Going from this:
auwjn4.png

to this:
30lmn8o.jpg

When I get the impression people are making that difference out to be like the upscaling they're doing with PCSX2 on PC, I just have to :bs:

Don't get me wrong, I love my 60gb. I play my PS3 more than any of my other consoles and I don't regret buying it. Like you pointed out, having more USB ports is great (I have a keyboard, charger, and usually 2 jump drives plugged in) and having an all in one device is convenient if you're tight on entertainment center real estate. I just don't see the PS2 upscaling as a big selling point.

tl;dr - PS3 60GB is cool, ps2 upscaling not so great without rose-tinted glasses

Lets be honest.......

Ps2 uses wireless controllers, who needs extra usbs ( to charge?)

When I move onto the next generation past titles are no where close to current games. Try Playing Madden 2005 then Madden 2011 or any other sports/action game and it's night and day difference.

BC for me and the gaming community as a whole is dead. Heck I cant even play COD4 after MW2, the point is to move forward not backwards.

[quote name='jamesesdad']To all the people who say they just play their xbox, and ps3 is a overglorified bluray player, just wait till your third xbox dies and is out of warranty, and your "overglorified bluray player" is still working. There is something to be said for reliability in a product, and that is a pretty major department the xbox is lacking in.[/QUOTE]

Having went through four 360s with my launch 20 GB PS3 still going strong, I have to say Amen to this.

60GB's definitely still exist in the wild. I talked with a Sony rep when she came in my store a few months back and she said she had recently went to a Wal-Mart (which would date it around Summer 09) and she said there were several 20GB and 60GB units just sitting in the back.

I should get a job there just to see what's in the back, then quit.

I worked at RadioShack which was much smaller scale and we had some cell phone/AV accessories that were so derelict they would come up free if you brought them and price checked them. What's worse is that they were completely usable and not obsolete.

[quote name='saturnotaku']Having went through four 360s with my launch 20 GB PS3 still going strong, I have to say Amen to this.[/QUOTE]

You guys say stuff like this as if the launch PS2s didn't have problems with DREs.

Tears - I'll cry for you, since you've clearly never owned a timeless game that was worth having BC for.

[quote name='autopiloton']I do not disagree that the there is a noticeable difference. However, that difference being an improvement worthy of seeking out an older model that is higher priced is what I don't agree with.

After the PS2 game is smoothed and upscaled it still looks crappy because it takes on a blurry/hazy look to it when smoothing out the image. To me, that's not much of an step up, and definitely not something I would use as a point to push someone to drop more money on.

When I get the impression people are making that difference out to be like the upscaling they're doing with PCSX2 on PC, I just have to :bs:

Don't get me wrong, I love my 60gb. I play my PS3 more than any of my other consoles and I don't regret buying it. Like you pointed out, having more USB ports is great (I have a keyboard, charger, and usually 2 jump drives plugged in) and having an all in one device is convenient if you're tight on entertainment center real estate. I just don't see the PS2 upscaling as a big selling point.

tl;dr - PS3 60GB is cool, ps2 upscaling not so great without rose-tinted glasses[/QUOTE]
Amen. I had an original launch 60GB and it ran great, and played all PS2 games great, but the graphics were still way too ugly to play after playing games in HD. The other issue I had was it was so friggin loud! It bothered me so i sold it to get a slim and never looked back. Different strokes for different folks.

Also, it isnt that I dont like old school games. I LOVE SNES and Genesis titles, but I just cannot go back to PS1/Dreamcast/Ps2/Xbox games at all. The 3d polygons kills it for me. Give me 2d anyday if it isnt in HD.

[quote name='ninja dog']so, did anyone actually get their systems?[/QUOTE]
Good question. I'm wondering if the people who ordered actually got their systems or not.

Still waiting for replies.

I'm actually done with the 60 to be honest. I've had two YLOD on me in a year, so I'm finally just having Sony swap it out for a Slim instead of repairing it again or giving me another 60 refurb.

I know other people with 60s who've experienced similar heating problems (and before you ask, my systems are always cleaned and well ventilated).

Pound for pound the 60 is still the best PS3 model, but as they get older I'm not sure they're worth the headache.

bread's done
Back