New Best Buy Policy?

[quote name='dtcarson']I've a had a few cases where the salespeople would introduce themselves, including handshake, and of course the reflex is to introduce yourself as well. Knowing someone's name makes them more of a person, and theoretically harder to say "no" or be rude to. Haven't had this happen on a widespread basis at BB yet. Now to think of a list of entertaining names....
If it's a salesperson being friendly and helpful and trying to put a more personal face on the store and customers, fine; if it is, and is described as, a new policy, that's annoying.[/QUOTE]

i kinda just wanted to hit on the last part of the quote where it talks about it being a new policy, cuz shouldn't that have been the policy all along? Although I am not sold on the whole need to know your name thing... I work in the service industry and I can personally tell you that people don't care what your name is, and the ones who really wanna know will ask, or ask you to write it down with your phone number on it... damn people!

[quote name='hegemonyhog']Customer Service Manual

Watch the customer come through the door. Note personal things about them, like whether or not they wear certain brands, if they looked at any of the front stands of merchandise, and the various interactions they have before they reach you. Bring up each of these in sequential detail.

Gain vital personal information. Even a soldier in a time of war gives up name, rank and serial number. All employees are required to gain the same information from any customer, or else they will be required to report to the central committee for reprogramming.

Compliment them profusely on anything they do, and offer suggestions for personal improvement. Customers love it when you notice little minutae about them, including the smells of soaps, perfumes and colognes that may or may not waft off of them, and minor criticisms designed to improve their posture and other characteristics and mannerisms.

Make it clear you aren't on commission. Nothing makes overly dedicated customer service more welcome than removing the only rational reason for providing it.

Assume every customer needs help. If someone makes a beeline for a product, picks it up, and heads straight for the checkout, intercept them and make sure all their questions are answered about what they've chosen. If they have no questions, answer the questions you feel they should be asking. If they already know the answers, suggest other items that go along with what they're purchasing, and answer questions about those.[/quote]

thank god my bb just may ask do you need any help or anything and if you answer them no they just walk away or stop talking

i swear to god, i went and picked up assassin's creed: limited edition thursday morning (had $40 in GC's, a 10% off coupon and a $5 off coupon), in and out, if someone bothered me and kept trying to talk to me when i knew what i wanted, had it in hand and wanted to get out, i wouldve put them through the giant rockband display

what a horrible way to have CS in store :roll: if they followed through on all this (the people who work there, and I'd assume anyone with brains working at BB no matter the position wouldn't) then they will start losing even more business, nobody even tech-idiots want to put up with that shit on a constant basis

Heh yeah I have had the Best Buy "no commission" treatment, my wife and I went in there looking at dishwashers and out of the corner of my eye I saw this guy making a beeline for us.

More suggestions on how to own the sales drones when they give you The Speech :

-When the guy offers his hand to shake, grab it, shake, and do not let go, continue shaking it for a long time while giving him your best insane grin.

-Express interest in a ridiculously high end item like a $10000 65" HDTV, ask about all the features, have them demonstrate everything on it, and finally offer them $50 for it.

-Do a Larry David and pretend to be retarded (complete with spastic arm movements), say things like "I LIKE YOU!!!", "WILL YOU BE MY FRIEND?" etc.

-Pretend to be an absolute flaming queen and hit on the sales guy bigtime

[quote name='dinovelvet']Heh yeah I have had the Best Buy "no commission" treatment, my wife and I went in there looking at dishwashers and out of the corner of my eye I saw this guy making a beeline for us.

More suggestions on how to own the sales drones when they give you The Speech :

-When the guy offers his hand to shake, grab it, shake, and do not let go, continue shaking it for a long time while giving him your best insane grin.

-Express interest in a ridiculously high end item like a $10000 65" HDTV, ask about all the features, have them demonstrate everything on it, and finally offer them $50 for it.

-Do a Larry David and pretend to be retarded (complete with spastic arm movements), say things like "I LIKE YOU!!!", "WILL YOU BE MY FRIEND?" etc.

-Pretend to be an absolute flaming queen and hit on the sales guy bigtime[/quote]

But what if the sales guy is gay, then you've got a big problem? What I would do would be to go in there and ask for stuff they don't sell and KEEP ASKING, even when the sales clerk tries to get away. Act like a true 'stupid consumer' to the clerk who comes up to you to try the 'personal' approach.

Then, move to a different section or keep walking around and repeat ad nauseam to every clerk who tries the 'personal approach' on ya.

Or, if you wanna gross them out, ask where the toilets are cause you wanna try one before you buy it. :) THAT should shut them up.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But what if the sales guy is gay, then you've got a big problem? What I would do would be to go in there and ask for stuff they don't sell and KEEP ASKING, even when the sales clerk tries to get away. Act like a true 'stupid consumer' to the clerk who comes up to you to try the 'personal' approach.

Then, move to a different section or keep walking around and repeat ad nauseam to every clerk who tries the 'personal approach' on ya.

Or, if you wanna gross them out, ask where the toilets are cause you wanna try one before you buy it. :) THAT should shut them up.[/QUOTE]
What if the salesperson is a woman and then you're going to go to jail for sexual harassment?

I imagine that the people working at these places don't want to do this shit any more than you want to have to deal with them doing it. Why would you want to make their life worse by giving them shit about something they are being forced to do?

[quote name='lanleague']What if the salesperson is a woman and then you're going to go to jail for sexual harassment?[/quote]

Is it sexual harassment to flirt with a salesperson now?

[quote name='hegemonyhog']
Compliment them profusely on anything they do, and offer suggestions for personal improvement. Customers love it when you notice little minutae about them, including the smells of soaps, perfumes and colognes that may or may not waft off of them, and minor criticisms designed to improve their posture and other characteristics and mannerisms.
[/quote]

As opposed to big minutiae?

[quote name='mguiddy']Is it sexual harassment to flirt with a salesperson now?[/QUOTE]

Santa can't even say "ho ho ho" anymore.

while this is a company directive-- yay for customer centricity and the segments (former supervisor still part-timmer) but as with your experience changes from best buy to best buy because the feel of the store and of the employees is a reaction to the GM in the store.

Lots of best buys suck, lots of managment sucks, and lots of 16-17 year olds that work in departments and don't give a shit so they sell you shit you don't need or don't sell you shit you need is a given, but there are people in best buy who seriously want to just help you get what you were looking for and do it in a nice manner, and the name exchange allows a much more personal sitation with a customer.

Yes its a directive to be more comftorable and to get the customer to buy more in the long run, but if your an informed customer as most of us are, then suck it up, give your name so you can acutally have someone who is willing to help you, and if the employee is being a d-bag then ask to speak to a CA in the store

[quote name='lanleague']Santa can't even say "ho ho ho" anymore.[/quote]

Can he say nappy headed ho in place of that? :lol: No wait, that was Don Imus.

As for me though, I talk with the one media manager here at length as it is, he knows me as 'one of the guide guys'. LOL So, I'm golden as far as getting to know the employees and vice versa.

Watch the customer come through the door. Note personal things about them, like whether or not they wear certain brands, if they looked at any of the front stands of merchandise, and the various interactions they have before they reach you. Bring up each of these in sequential detail.

Gain vital personal information. Even a soldier in a time of war gives up name, rank and serial number. All employees are required to gain the same information from any customer, or else they will be required to report to the central committee for reprogramming.

Make it clear you aren't on commission. Nothing makes overly dedicated customer service more welcome than removing the only rational reason for providing it.

Assume every customer needs help. If someone makes a beeline for a product, picks it up, and heads straight for the checkout, intercept them and make sure all their questions are answered about what they've chosen. If they have no questions, answer the questions you feel they should be asking. If they already know the answers, suggest other items that go along with what they're purchasing, and answer questions about those.[/quote]

If a BB employee ever started criticising me on my posture and "mannerisms" I'd throw him into the nearest shelf.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']this reminds me of a time i was at circuit city
pretty much, me and maybe 5 other friends walked into the store,
and were all just looking around
we sorta seperated, seeing that we were buying different things
me and a buddy noticed that 3-4 employees were watching us
they kept walking up and asking if we needed help

anyways, i found the cd i was looking for, and decided to look for my other friends
the same friend i was with noticed that people sorta followed us
we thought it'd be funny if we walked around this one isle to see if they'd keep going around with us
they actually did xP
after about 3 mins walking around the same isle, finally one of them asked if they could hold on to the CD and take it up to the register for us
i said ok, then went to pick up the same CD and taking it to the register
another one comes up to me and asks if they can take it up as well
i told them i was on my way to the register, then all of the sudden the store manager walks up to me
he asks me to leave, and i ask if i can at least make the purchase before i leave
he tells me no, then tells me if he us in the store again, he'll call the police

anyways, i refused to walk into that store again
i hate it when the employees act as if you are stealing their shit

happens to me all the time
every time i'm in one of these stores, they'll ask "do you have any questions"
like if i had a question, i'd come up to one of you and ask xP

anyways, sorry for the long story :p[/QUOTE]

Stores get suspicious when a group of teens or college kids walk into in to the store in groups of 3-5. They *think* they are going to steal. I have had that happen to me where an employee would watch me and start fake following me around. Then I would do the same, give him a stare and start fake following him around til he gives up.

As for the manager telling you to get out, my guess is they were watching you on camera, saw you pick up the same cd's over and over without going to check out and thought you were pranking the store. Honestly I would have told the employee when they asked to take it up to the register, "No thanks, I have arms and legs and can take it there myself, if I need your help, I will let you know."

Assume every customer needs help. If someone makes a beeline for a product, picks it up, and heads straight for the checkout, intercept them and make sure all their questions are answered about what they've chosen. If they have no questions, answer the questions you feel they should be asking. If they already know the answers, suggest other items that go along with what they're purchasing, and answer questions about those.[/QUOTE]

STFU. That is not real...is it?

If they ever ask me my name I will simply say "Taco Bell". See if they respond to THAT. If I'm bored I will go into great detail about my sores on my inner anus.

I made the mistake of working there for a year... I just said hello and asked only the most moronic-looking folk if they needed help.

Obviously I did a lot of asking.

....What? The BB employees want my name, rank & serial number? Oh wait, I'm not in the military, so I'm safe.

The last one is the only thing useful out of all of them....provided if the employee in question has pretty good product knowledge and will know what I'm talking about.

[quote name='ITDEFX']
As for the manager telling you to get out, my guess is they were watching you on camera, saw you pick up the same cd's over and over without going to check out and thought you were pranking the store. Honestly I would have told the employee when they asked to take it up to the register, "No thanks, I have arms and legs and can take it there myself, if I need your help, I will let you know.[/quote]

yeah i only picked up 1 copy after he took mine, and i was heading towards the register

It annoys me so much when an employee ask me a bunch of questions when I tell them I don't need any help. Unless I'm in there for a really good deal I'll just leave the store.
I'm usually not asked any questions at my Best Buy though. Minus the greeting from the guy at the door, I am usually not bothered. I usually look like crap though because I just grab whatever out of my closet and if I'm not working that week I don't shave until I do. Plus people say I look angry all the time. If some employee comes up and offers minor criticisms to me then I'm going to criticise his best buy job and tell him where to stick it.

ROFLS!! You should write those for a living. That's almost sinister.

bread's done
Back