New Computer Questions

Psydrogen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I just got a new computer and now have a few questions. I hope somebody out there can help me out.

First of all, I have iTunes and an iPod on my old PC. I'm going to take my Firewire card out and put it in my new PC. I will eventually erase everything on the old, so should I first de-authorize my Apple music on the old computer? I know there's something about the music can only be played on up to three computers, so I will have no use wasting one on a computer that won't be used. Will my iPod connect and play easily when I first put it on the new?

Secondly, I have way too many Firefox Bookmarks. How can I easily copy the list and put it into the new PC? I can't seem to find them in a directory.

Third, when I decide to fully erase the old drive, what is the best way to do it? I don't want to leave behind anything personal.

I'm sure there's more questions, but that's all I can think of for now. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I'm no expert but to answer your second question just exported bookmark file and save it onto a cd or disk.

And about the erasing the hd (I assume you're gonna sell it or something). I've read that there's no way to completely clean a drive. If someone is motivated enough they can find anything on an erased drive. If thats 100% true I dont know. To put it to you another way I dont know the answer to your third question ;)

I now see that in Manage Bookmarks there is an export and an import, so I'm assuming that's the way to do it. Thanks Maklershed.

[quote name='Psydrogen']Secondly, I have way too many Firefox Bookmarks. How can I easily copy the list and put it into the new PC? I can't seem to find them in a directory.[/QUOTE]

Actually it is very easy to find. Bookmark file is located in the following:
C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(random letters and numbers).default\bookmarks.html

[quote name='Psydrogen']I just got a new computer and now have a few questions. I hope somebody out there can help me out.

First of all, I have iTunes and an iPod on my old PC. I'm going to take my Firewire card out and put it in my new PC. I will eventually erase everything on the old, so should I first de-authorize my Apple music on the old computer? I know there's something about the music can only be played on up to three computers, so I will have no use wasting one on a computer that won't be used. Will my iPod connect and play easily when I first put it on the new?

Secondly, I have way too many Firefox Bookmarks. How can I easily copy the list and put it into the new PC? I can't seem to find them in a directory.

Third, when I decide to fully erase the old drive, what is the best way to do it? I don't want to leave behind anything personal.

I'm sure there's more questions, but that's all I can think of for now. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

To erase with a high amount of certainty, reformat it a couple of times. Though it isn't 100% reliable, it'll make it damn near impossible for anyone other than the most dedicated inquisitor.

[quote name='jaykrue']To erase with a high amount of certainty, reformat it a couple of times. Though it isn't 100% reliable, it'll make it damn near impossible for anyone other than the most dedicated inquisitor.[/QUOTE]

No even after several reformats stuff could still be found but with some trouble. The best thing to do if you want ultimate privacy is to set the hard drive on fire then smash it with a sledge hammer a couple times. That should do it.

Autoclave works well. You can do 25 random bit passes- which essentially means it fills the drive up randomly 25 times. Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyy hard to get around. Government minimum for wiped certification is a 3 pass random write.

Thanks for the ideas. Now does any know about the iPod question? I can't find anything about switching computers on Apple's site.

[quote name='Vegan']When all human interaction is dead, Google's job is done.[/QUOTE]

I just love being able to send people to that website. One of my students did it to me last year and I thought it was hilarious.

I Googled "transferring itunes new computer" and the first result was a valid response, hence my snarkyness.

bread's done
Back