New Computer

ssablain

CAGiversary!
I am looking for a new computer but with so many different options I am stuck trying to figure out what is the best route for me to take. I really don't want to spend more than $500 on the machine but will consider up to $600 if it will make that much of a difference. I don't play any videos games on my pc at the moment and the only one I plan on playing any time soon is Guild Wars 2. I have duel monitors so I am constantly running multiple different programs but none of them are too extensive. For the most part all I do is surf the internet, watch movies, stream movies, use Itunes, run a program that converts files. Chances are I will be doing two or three of those things at the same time. I am trying to get the most bang for my buck and I am not sure if I should buy a premade computer, premade barebones kits, or buy all of the parts individually. Hopefully I have provided enough information and thanks for everyones time and responses.

I generally start with barebones kits at Newegg.com and see if they are any sales/deals, and then build from there. Do you have a copy of Windows (7 or 8)? If so, I would build my own, otherwise buying premade may save you a bit of money.

I have a code for Windows 7 from a laptop that I am not using but I don't have the disc to install it on another computer.

Don't go with a barebones or build your own if you're not gaming. People tend to be overzealous there. Just buy a Dell if you don't need the horsepower, you save a bit of money that way. In fact, if you know how to build your own, I'd look at slickdeals to grab a refurb. If anything goes wrong, you should be able to fix it. They just had some gaming capable machines with i5s and a 7850 for under 600 bucks recently.

For the most part it will not be a gaming machine. The only games that I really play on the PC are MMORPG (Which I don't believe would demand that much out of a PC.) I will take a look on Slickdeals and see what I can find. I have built my own PC in the past so I have options I just get confused when I start comparing all of the machines with their slight differences. If anyone sees specific machines that would meet my needs please post them so I can take a look. I have been looking all morning on different sites and I am even more confused than I was when I started.

[quote name='ssablain']For the most part it will not be a gaming machine. The only games that I really play on the PC are MMORPG (Which I don't believe would demand that much out of a PC.) I will take a look on Slickdeals and see what I can find. I have built my own PC in the past so I have options I just get confused when I start comparing all of the machines with their slight differences. If anyone sees specific machines that would meet my needs please post them so I can take a look. I have been looking all morning on different sites and I am even more confused than I was when I started.[/QUOTE]

welp, that takes research and patience, you need to know what you need. Otherwise, you'll just end up buying a mac mini.

Lets try this approach. Can anyone find a better machine or make a better machine than this for under $500.00? I know it is nothing special by any means but I believe it will meet all of my needs.

Dell Inspiron 660 - $469.00

Processor: Intel Core 3rd generation i5-3330 Processor (3.0 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.20 GHz)
Windows 8
Dell Outlet Inspiron 660 Minitower
2TB, 7200 RPM 3.5 inch SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
8GB, DDR3 UDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, Non-ECC (2 DIMMs)
16X DVD +/- RW Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 1GB DDR3

[quote name='billymcdugal']is there a microcenter near by? i got my laptop for 150 bucks cheaper than going on the dell website.[/QUOTE]

No unfortunately. I have heard people mention them in multiple threads but when I went to their website there is none that are anywhere close to me.

[quote name='ssablain']No unfortunately. I have heard people mention them in multiple threads but when I went to their website there is none that are anywhere close to me.[/QUOTE]
yeah they will ship, but if your gonna pay an extra 10 bucks for each part with shipping probably not worth it

You might spend a little more but if you dont want to game then id recommend a cpu with the intell 4000 graphic chip in it and some mobo with that graphic booster stuff(it's called VMP i think, i know it starts with a v hehe). you wont even need to buy a video card doing this as theonboard graphics is good enough to handle most normal stuff like 1080p video. also going this rought you get a really fast processor to tear though everything you're doing and the 3rd gen of intell processors boot up in like 5 seconds so it's really worth getting them imo :)

on another note i've had a bad experience with newegg so i can't recommend that place. buy parts you know cant break from there but defiantly no mobos or things that can get broken in the mail. look up the parts you want on NG and go to amazon and buy em imo hehe.

[quote name='Kevfactor']You might spend a little more but if you dont want to game then id recommend a cpu with the intell 4000 graphic chip in it and some mobo with that graphic booster stuff(it's called VMP i think, i know it starts with a v hehe). you wont even need to buy a video card doing this as theonboard graphics is good enough to handle most normal stuff like 1080p video. also going this rought you get a really fast processor to tear though everything you're doing and the 3rd gen of intell processors boot up in like 5 seconds so it's really worth getting them imo :)

on another note i've had a bad experience with newegg so i can't recommend that place. buy parts you know cant break from there but defiantly no mobos or things that can get broken in the mail. look up the parts you want on NG and go to amazon and buy em imo hehe.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice, I will go check this stuff out.

[quote name='ssablain']Lets try this approach. Can anyone find a better machine or make a better machine than this for under $500.00? I know it is nothing special by any means but I believe it will meet all of my needs.

Dell Inspiron 660 - $469.00

Processor: Intel Core 3rd generation i5-3330 Processor (3.0 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.20 GHz)
Windows 8
Dell Outlet Inspiron 660 Minitower
2TB, 7200 RPM 3.5 inch SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
8GB, DDR3 UDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, Non-ECC (2 DIMMs)
16X DVD +/- RW Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 1GB DDR3[/QUOTE]

This isn't a bad build. I second the comment about slickdeals...Set up a deal alert on Dell computers, they go on sale all the time.

Thanks everyone for the advice. If anyone finds any machines or has any more suggestions please keep them coming.

Ive got a question -

When Im using the google reader while at work, the only thing I see when I subscribe to the General board is the first post in each thread. I cant find a way to be able to scroll through all of the posts in the thread after the first one. Am I missing something? Gets kinda boring seeing just the 1st post in each thread....

bread's done
Back