"New" Dreamcast - Am I gonna get ripped off?

Shadow2222

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
First of all, the auction still has 20 hours left, so I may very well be outbid. However, after bidding, I noticed the seller had relisted this, so I doubt I will get outbid.

Anyways, there was a very plain listing for a "new" Dreamcast, so I bid $30 (with $8 shipping). I understand that this is most likely a refurb (especially looking at his feedback), but I figured eBay Buyer Protection is always there if I need it.

Basically, I need a Dreamcast expert to tell me in advance how this should be packaged if it really was brand new, because I have heard quite a few horror stories about fake "new" dreamcasts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260987716716#ht_500wt_1076

EDIT: Hmm, all of a sudden I can't access this listing or the seller's page, and it isn't in my "Current Bids/Offers" section anymore. Did he take it down?

EDIT 2: Now it is back up again. I don't have a very good feeling about this :(

Last edited by a moderator:
You should ask him if it comes with the box. Ideally even with the negative review $30 is too much without a proper description.

Hell I have 3 DC's, 2 of them are modded to play Japanese games.

Just for future reference, if I do win this auction, does anyone remember how the Dreamcast was packaged in the box? For example, did the plastic baggies have any markings and were they taped or completely sealed? I want to be able to tell right out of the box (if there is one lol) if I am getting scammed.

For what it's worth, if there is no box, I think I already have a case with eBay Buyer Protection, because the new condition states that an item is unopened in its original packaging (aka how it appeared on the retail shelf).

EDIT: I have been outbid, and I am really torn on whether to count this as a blessing or increase my bid :(

Last edited by a moderator:
1.Email the seller and ask if it's a NEW & UNOPENED box. Send the response to your email.

2.You never know unless you try.

3.Trust your gut.

For what its worth, these are the messages I sent him last night (and have, of course, not received any reply to):

"So this is really new in the box (as the New condition states)? And it is the NTSC model of the Dreamcast?"

and

"Two more quick questions. Firstly, this does contain all the original packaging unopened, correct? Second, do you have any pictures of it."

Him not replying yet gives me the impression that I should refrain from bidding any further on this.

It's not worth taking a chance on; you try filing a paypal claim and you'll be looking at paying return shipping to send it back.

bread's done
Back