New EB Games Video Game Warranty's

Scahom1

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, just got the word from my DM that we are starting a new warranty program for video games. Pretty much every game besides the PC games that require a user-specific ID key (so this eliminates MMORPG's) can qualify for the warranty. If the game is ever scratched, cracked, or just stops working, you can return it for another copy of the game at the store. It is a one time swap, so you'll have to buy another warranty once you get your new game.

This works for new and pre-played games. The price of the warranty is $3 for a game over $24.99, and $2 for a game under $24.99. This does not replace the current 14 day warranty. You must keep the receipt for the warranty, nothing is stored in our computer.

What do you guys think? $3 isn't bad to protect your $50 game...

Are people really this careless with their discs? I've never ever had a game die on me, simply because my games are either in the console/PC or in a case.

Somehow I'm able to keep from ruining my discs.. so no, this is a big a waste of money as Best Buy's extended warranty.

Do people shove discs up their ass in confusion or what the hell happens?

what the heck? my ebgames has always offered a permenant policy that lasts forever on used games, if it doesnt work, theyll replace it no questions for as long as i keep the receipt, even 15 years from now i was told. this has been going on for well over a year now.

What happens if it's a game like Gitaroo Man and the store can't obtain a new copy?

This isn't something I'd necessarily be interested in, but I am curious.

Unless the disc is totally destroyed, isn't it just as cheap to get a disc game resurfaced? I bet they just resurface the old game and sell it as new or as a trade-in.

Yours is just doing it? Mine started it last week.

Heh, I should've bought that used copy of Suikoden II yesterday for $45 and then the warranty and then immediately exchanged it, because that disc was knocked up more than a high school cheerleader.

I think this is a fairly bad deal. Game Stop has a 90 day warranty on all used games and I have never even had to use that. Unless you are in the habit of using games as coasters, I see no need to waste the money.

[quote name='Scahom1']What do you guys think? $3 isn't bad to protect your $50 game...[/quote]

What are these $50 games that you speak of? ;)

I think the only two cd's I've ever had 'break' were a cheap music CDR that stayed in the hot car too long and starting skipping, and a Printmaster Gold CDRom that my dog ate [well, he chewed into it and broke it pretty good.] And I doubt any warranty will cover acts of Dog.
; )
This to me seems like one of those things you can do better yourself. The only way to totally cover yourself would be to buy the warranty on *everything*. If you're going to do that, just put 3 bucks in the bank when you buy a game; if one ever breaks, bust into the bank and go buy a replacement. If it doesn't break, you've still got the money.

Great, now not only do I have to fend off the requests to preorder something or buy a strategy guide. Now I have to listen to them explain the lame ass warrenty and tell them no thanks 5 times before they accept it and ring me up.

Last time I bought games at TRU, the guy asked me about the warranty for every game individually as he rang them up. I said no initially I didn't need it, and he kept asking for the other two games as he scanned each one. Annoying.

[quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='Scahom1']What do you guys think? $3 isn't bad to protect your $50 game...[/quote]

What are these $50 games that you speak of? ;)[/quote]

50$?? since when did that exist?

Honestly, I can't remember when I've actually spent $50 on a game.

I think it may have been when it first came out Crimson Skies, but even then, I traded some games in to get it.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Unless the disc is totally destroyed, isn't it just as cheap to get a disc game resurfaced? I bet they just resurface the old game and sell it as new or as a trade-in.[/quote]

okay this may be a stupid question but where can i get my discs resurfaced. I got a copy of SSX3 that broke since it was past 90 days, i gotta pay $15 DOLLARS FOR A REPLACEMENT from ea. naturally, i wouldnt pay that much, even though ive got money, ive been using it for new games.

"If the game is ever scratched..."

Ever? So it's a lifetime guarentee? Man, I might get this for same of those might-be-hard-to-find-again-one-day games. Like Ghost in the Shell (PS1)

BTW About '97 Babbages had no limits on their return policy; as long as you had a receipt. The clerks told me you could have returned a $50 Atari 2600 game if you still had a receipt.

Man, how things have changed!

[quote name='Scahom1']I think he meant using a Game Doctor or something of the sort.[/quote]

Nope, there are places that'll professionally resurface games. I don't know of any big chains that offer it across the board as a service, but check around locally and you should be able to find something. A professional resurfacing machine can make a game look almost new. Better than a Game Doctor, but it'll cost you a few bucks per disc, roughly the same as buying those stupid warranties. It won't fix it if you crack the game or damage the data layer.

[quote name='rallen']If the game is ever scratched,

Ever? so it's a lifetime guarentee? Man, I might get this for same that might be hard to find again one day.

BTW About '97 Babbages had no limits on their return policy; as long as you had a receipt. The clerks told me you could have returned a $50 Atari 2600 game if you still had a receipt.

Man, how things have changed![/quote]

Yeah...

Problem with the "receipt system" these days is a lot of stores use that really shitty fax paper, than unless kept at a certain temperature and humidity, start degrading as soon as you leave the store, eventually fading back to the white paper. So it's basically "as long as we can read your receipt which won't last 6 months anyway..."

[quote name='BigHow']What happens if it's a game like Gitaroo Man and the store can't obtain a new copy?

This isn't something I'd necessarily be interested in, but I am curious.[/quote]

That's a really good question, I'm curious as well.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more it seems that this could be abused badly. Will they really take the game back and give you a new one? What's to stop someone who buys a game in crappy condition from buying a new copy from ebgames w/ the warrenty then take back the old one to exchange for a new one and then either sell the new the copy or return to ebgames for a full refund?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='rallen']If the game is ever scratched,

Ever? so it's a lifetime guarentee? Man, I might get this for same that might be hard to find again one day.

Man, how things have changed![/quote]

Yeah...

Problem with the "receipt system" these days is a lot of stores use that really shitty fax paper, than unless kept at a certain temperature and humidity, start degrading as soon as you leave the store, eventually fading back to the white paper. So it's basically "as long as we can read your receipt which won't last 6 months anyway..."[/quote]

That is the truest thing Ive ever read here. Next they ll go to actual disappearing ink.

Wow. I've been through three states, and five EB stores, and I have never heard of such a crap-tastic idea. The basic policy allows defective pre-played merch a lifetime replacement, and new is covered (with exceptions) for 14 days. Now, the only time such a policy would merit would be on the preplayed - which is already covered! Do your company justice, and not mention these triflings again. I mean, you make it sound like the company is going to charge for a policy which is a fundamental asset to our GamePro training protocols. To further, I could only think of two markets that could (and would) viably use/pay for such a plan, and for the paperwork involved, the cost would outweigh the benefits. This just pushes that the company has different practices in different regions around the world, and here in our own nation. Take the Music CD trade - started in Florida, and has moved outward from there. Or, the Repair Master ESA protocol- almost everywhere uses a number based system shot through HQ. Although again, FL has to use an external warranty service (lovely politics). Cash for games? - again, started with different markets. And need I mention the promos always pimped selectively in Philly and San Fran?

To close, just because it's in your district, does not make it nationwide, and for a service like this, you can see why.
-The K

[quote name='jimbodan'][quote name='BigHow']What happens if it's a game like Gitaroo Man and the store can't obtain a new copy?

This isn't something I'd necessarily be interested in, but I am curious.[/quote]

That's a really good question, I'm curious as well.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more it seems that this could be abused badly. Will they really take the game back and give you a new one? What's to stop someone who buys a game in crappy condition from buying a new copy from ebgames w/ the warrenty then take back the old one to exchange for a new one and then either sell the new the copy or return to ebgames for a full refund?[/quote]

The product is returned to the customer in the same status as received. IE: If you bring a game back and it's opened, the outgoing product is visually inspected to help ensure an error-free product.

bread's done
Back