New EB Winter Sale - Starts 1/3

Johnny Postman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
187 (100%)
Picked up a copy of Fight Club today at the local EB and grabbed the new coupon/sale booklet. Sale begins on 1/3 and has some OK deals. Didn't see them posted yet so here goes...

General deals

Buy 1/Get 1 50% off all pre-played stuff - games/movies/accessories
$10 Bonus Trade-in Credit on 3 PS2/XB/GC games - NO EXCLUSIONS
Trade in 2 games get Halo 2, GTA:SA, NFS: underground 2 or Mercenaries for $24.99 (exclusion list applies)

Coupons/Voucher - just listing them off

GBA SP Accessory Starter Kit $9.99
Everquest II (PC) - $34.99
FF: Crystal Chronicles (GC) - $14.99 after voucher rebate
Syphon Filter: Omega Strain (PS2), Max Payne 2(XB/PS2), XIII(XB/PS2) - $9.99 ea
All ESPN 2K5 titles - 2 for $30
Tenchu: Return from Darkness (XB) - $9.99
Viewtiful Joe 2 (PS2), Mega Man X Command Mission (PS2), Ape Escape : Pumped and Primed (PS2) - $10 Off
Rainbow Six 3 (XB/PS2), Rainbow Six 3 : Black Arrow (XB), Splinter Cell : Pandora Tomorrow (XB/PS2) - $5 off
Timesplitters 2 (PS2), Devil May Cry 2 (PS2) - $14.99 ea
Full Spectrum Warrior (XB) - $19.99
Select Activision Titles - $5 off (THUG2, COD: Finest Hour, Spiderman 2, X-men Legends)
Pirates of the Caribbean, Pure Pinball, Pac-man World 2 (all XB) - $5 off
OutRun 2, Sudeki, Fable (all XB) - $5 off
Paper Mario : The Thousand Year Door - $29.99 after voucher rebate
N-Gage games $4.99-$9.99
$10 off some PC games (I of the Dragon, Galactica Civilization Deluxe, Shadow Vault, Vendetta Online, Time of Defiance)
$9.99 ea - NHL Hitz 2003 (GC), Die Hard Vendetta (GC), Mat Hoffman Pro BMX 2 (GC), THPS 3 (GC), Mega Man Battle 3 White/Blue (GBA), Kelly Slater Pro Surfer (GBA), Konami Collector's (GBA)
$5 off some PC games (Half-Life 2, Tribes: Vengeance, Silent Hill 4, Ground Control II)
$10 voucher rebate on Dance Pad Deluxe
$5 off Mega Man 4 :Rising Sun/Blue Moon (GBA)
$10 voucher rebate on some PC games (XIII, Alexander : King of COunquerors, SC:pT, Warlords 4, CSI)
Backyard Wrestling 2 (XB/PS2) $29.99
B2G1 on GBA Videos

Do they sell their games 3 for < $10. If so, you could go in and say, give me X amount in credit up front, or piss them off by buying 3, 6, 9, 3^x games and selling them back to get huge amounts of profit (credit). Unless the trading rules keep you from doing so. Just like the damn GR deals. Milk it for all its worth.

On a side note, does EB feel the sting of GR competition. I see gamecrazy ads all over now too.

EB used to sell games like Madden 2001 for $2 but they raised the price up to $3. So for like $22 you can buy $3 sports games and trade them in (over time) for $50.

I just called EB and they told me that i can trade in 1 title each time i enter the store. So if i want to trade in doubles i have to make 2 trips.

[quote name='"gsr"']just curious..how is this $10 deal so good?

i mean, 9 times out of 10, you're going to trade in a game that is probably worth $.50-$1.00 and if you trade in 3 games like that you're looking at probably 10-15 bucks tops for 3 games

I'd rather keep 3 games instead of letting them go for 10 bucks[/quote]

I usually don't bother with something like this, but I had some cheap games that I picked up as impulse purchases for $5 or so then found out that they sucked. Rather than having them sit around gathering dust, I traded some in. Depreciation on games is pretty steep...they were pretty much worthless so it would have been pointless to trade them in at another time.

I traded in 6 games (no duplicates or jampacks), but had to go to two stores over this. The woman (manager) at the one store refused to make two seperate transactions for me, was really rude, and gave me a huge lecture that what I was doing (trading in games?) was unethical. She wanted to give me $16 for all 6 games instead of the $26. I took back three and went to the eb directly downstairs from her to trade in the other three. Really, even if that was the only store, I would have just come back at another time when she wasn't working to trade in the other three. The guy downstairs was really nice and apologized for the other manager's behavior.

[quote name='"62t"']I just called EB and they told me that i can trade in 1 title each time i enter the store. So if i want to trade in doubles i have to make 2 trips.[/quote]

Yea, this deal seems to be highly dependant on the mood of the people working at your local eb...

yah, luckily i walked into the manager of the eb i went to and he was like i have to wait to see iwhat the other employee said... newaYz im goign to own eb and fye for screwing around with my time

Where do you guys get these really cheap games that are less then $2? I see Jampacks every now and then but they're at least $3-5 each... I can rarely find sports games that are older then a year or two (which still ring up around $10).

Also, I'm guessing that they'll take the GameCube preview disc (that really old one that you could buy for $10)? And the Star Wars Rogue Squadren III preview disc (free if you preordered the game)?

I traded in Defender (sealed heh heh) and two jampacks for a total of $12.50. However they did not have the game I wanted, Midway Arcade Treasures 1 (with the new cover) :(

They said it's most likely a Best Buy exclusive... I wonder what to do... should I try getting BB to PM it?

[quote name='Vinny']Where do you guys get these really cheap games that are less then $2? I see Jampacks every now and then but they're at least $3-5 each... I can rarely find sports games that are older then a year or two (which still ring up around $10).

Also, I'm guessing that they'll take the GameCube preview disc (that really old one that you could buy for $10)? And the Star Wars Rogue Squadren III preview disc (free if you preordered the game)?[/quote]

Many of us got in the TRU deal and got mnay games for less than $1, and many for free.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I traded in Defender (sealed heh heh) and two jampacks for a total of $12.50. However they did not have the game I wanted, Midway Arcade Treasures 1 (with the new cover) :(

They said it's most likely a Best Buy exclusive... I wonder what to do... should I try getting BB to PM it?[/quote]

What are you going to PM to if BB is the place that has the game?

ok i see

anyway i tried trading in some games today. After 6 games they told me that all they can take and i should go to another eb.

[quote name='Vinny']Where do you guys get these really cheap games that are less then $2? I see Jampacks every now and then but they're at least $3-5 each... I can rarely find sports games that are older then a year or two (which still ring up around $10).

[/quote]

There was this great coupon at TRU (expired on 12/31 RIP :cry: ) . . . it took $10 off each pair of games that you bought. It worked with other offers and on clearance items.

As a result, many games (some good ones) were very cheap and even free. (I got about 15 games for something like $40 . . . Xenosaga, Mafia, Tenchu, The Thing, Hitman 2).

Also, some really crappy games were free too.

Some people "bought" piles of the crappy free ones for just this occasion. I didn't but for those who have 30 copies of MOJO or Black and Bruised . . . this is the kind of deal they were looking for. $10 dollars in EBGames credit for free

. . . if you can get all 30 copies into EB for this deal . . .

$100 for moving inventory from TRU to EBGames.

[quote name='suko_32']The trade in deal wil the 10 bucks, could I put it on my eb card?[/quote]

i did it w/o any problem.

hehe yah, so it was the last day of the TRU sale and i got myself like 20 copies of rracing evolution and like 20 combined copies of NFL 2k3 and NCAA 2k3, just for this occassion... but there are some pretty good trade in deals for the racing evolution... but i was turned down, but Gamecrazy will match the 7.5 price but only 2 a day... and im not 18 bleh trouble..

[quote name='schultzed'][quote name='Vinny']Where do you guys get these really cheap games that are less then $2? I see Jampacks every now and then but they're at least $3-5 each... I can rarely find sports games that are older then a year or two (which still ring up around $10).

[/quote]

There was this great coupon at TRU (expired on 12/31 RIP :cry: ) . . . it took $10 off each pair of games that you bought. It worked with other offers and on clearance items.

As a result, many games (some good ones) were very cheap and even free. (I got about 15 games for something like $40 . . . Xenosaga, Mafia, Tenchu, The Thing, Hitman 2).

Also, some really crappy games were free too.

Some people "bought" piles of the crappy free ones for just this occasion. I didn't but for those who have 30 copies of MOJO or Black and Bruised . . . this is the kind of deal they were looking for. $10 dollars in EBGames credit for free

. . . if you can get all 30 copies into EB for this deal . . .

$100 for moving inventory from TRU to EBGames.[/quote]

I went there when that sale was going on, they didn't have freakin' anything there... well at least at my local TRU :x Everything was regular-priced and I coudn't find the green tagged stuff

i know FYE would, but i got into a fight with them today for screwing me over, i went in there yesterday and asked a guy about trading in like 20 copies of the r:racing evolution and he said it would be alright, i even called to confirm that he would be there tomorrow to do it, i go there today to do it and hes there and tells me another guy will be doing the transaction, and half way thru, he calls his manager and i get owned...thus i write an angry email to the customer service just because they wasted my time

sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere in the forums, but all the Gamestops near me are running a similar deal now(i'm assuming this is to beef up their used game selection).
It's not nearly as good as EB's though:

-Trade in 3 used games, get $10 free extra credit(sports/wrestling/demo disks excluded)

I guess this would be good alternative if you didn't have a EB nearby... or if you REALLY hate EB. Gamestop on the average has given me more than EB for my older trades....
Then again trading my jampacks in for $10+ credit is too good to pass up.... I'll be going to EB.

[quote name='suko_32']Anyone tried a Jampack type of thing yet?[/quote]

Yeah I tried it with 6 jampacks. Three of the most recent and three of the oldest. At first the worker didn't understand the deal (?!) but after he punched in the code, only the three most recent packs went through. The older ones didn't because they were "POS" titles; whatever that means. We got the manager out and yeah he couldn't get those POS jampacks to go through. So I took what added up to almost $13 store credit.

I was tempted to get the XBox Tenchu for $10 but earlier I went to TRU and got it for $5.50 (Liquidation). Instead I got a new Disgaea which rung up for $35 before store credit.

[quote name='ManChowder']sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere in the forums, but all the Gamestops near me are running a similar deal now(i'm assuming this is to beef up their used game selection).
It's not nearly as good as EB's though:

-Trade in 3 used games, get $10 free extra credit(sports/wrestling/demo disks excluded)

I guess this would be good alternative if you didn't have a EB nearby... or if you REALLY hate EB. Gamestop on the average has given me more than EB for my older trades....
Then again trading my jampacks in for $10+ credit is too good to pass up.... I'll be going to EB.[/quote]

Thanks anyways. I also notice Gamestop does offer a tad more than EB on many games. I think I'll unload the more popular titles at Gamestop, and then unload the remaining "crap" at EB.

I still have quite a few leftover games from the Circuit City $5 sale. Why I bought Fairly Odd Parents is beyond me.

[quote name='centraldogmae']only the three most recent packs went through. The older ones didn't because they were "POS" titles; whatever that means. We got the manager out and yeah he couldn't get those POS jampacks to go through.
[/quote]
:rofl: eb no longer accepting "POS" titles

[quote name='centraldogmae']I was tempted to get the XBox Tenchu for $10 but earlier I went to TRU and got it for $5.50 (Liquidation).[/quote]

You were tempted to pay $10 for something you had earlier bought for $5.50?

[quote name='centraldogmae'][quote name='suko_32']Anyone tried a Jampack type of thing yet?[/quote]

Yeah I tried it with 6 jampacks. Three of the most recent and three of the oldest. At first the worker didn't understand the deal (?!) but after he punched in the code, only the three most recent packs went through. The older ones didn't because they were "POS" titles; whatever that means. We got the manager out and yeah he couldn't get those POS jampacks to go through. So I took what added up to almost $13 store credit.

I was tempted to get the XBox Tenchu for $10 but earlier I went to TRU and got it for $5.50 (Liquidation). Instead I got a new Disgaea which rung up for $35 before store credit.[/quote]

do u remember which jampack came up as POS.... or is it POX

I traded in 3 old PS2 sports games and got a total of $11.50 store credit. EB would have only offered me $0.25, $0.25, and $1.00 for the games if not for the $10 deal. :rofl:

I ended up buying Fatal Frame(xbox) and Aerobiz(snes) for a combined $13.38 after first using 30% off FF and then using the trade-in credit. I also somehow ended up getting 20% off Aerobiz.

[quote name='trunks982'][quote name='centraldogmae'][quote name='suko_32']Anyone tried a Jampack type of thing yet?[/quote]

I was tempted to get the XBox Tenchu for $10 but earlier I went to TRU and got it for $5.50 (Liquidation). Instead I got a new Disgaea which rung up for $35 before store credit.[/quote]

do u remember which jampack came up as POS.... or is it POX[/quote]

Yeah, are you sure they didn't say POX? Either way, they should have taken those Jampacks and you should have gotten the $10 extra credit.

POX means its a pre-owned item excluded from special deals, but the $10 extra credit includes the POX titles.

Also, in-store, the Buy 1 Get 50% off doesn't work with the Edge Card. :(

[quote name='phammerz']where do you guys find these penny jampacks etc[/quote]

Using SAVER code at Ebgames.com will get you free shipping with a used game, so you can sort of get a jampack for free.

[quote name='phammerz']where do you guys find these penny jampacks etc[/quote]

Occasioanlly Circuit City clears out Jampacks, Promo Items, and Demos for a penny. I think the last one was the Kill Zone Demo.

[quote name='trunks982'][quote name='centraldogmae'][quote name='suko_32']Anyone tried a Jampack type of thing yet?[/quote]

That would be a great hidden joke if they rang up as POS... :lol:

anyone tried 3 jampacks? i have the winter 03 jampacks. i want to trade in 2 winter03 jampacks and 1 madden 03. will it work for the trade 3 and get $10 bonus?

[quote name='trunks982']anyone tried 3 jampacks? i have the winter 03 jampacks. i want to trade in 2 winter03 jampacks and 1 madden 03. will it work for the trade 3 and get $10 bonus?[/quote]

I traded in 1 Winter 2003 Jampack yesterday no problem. I don't think you would have any problems trading in two of them in a set of 3 unless the employee at your EBgames didn't want to allow it....but I have the flyer from in store handy & it says nothing about trading in multiples of the same game not being allowed with this promo.

yah, but luckily i ran into all sticklers of the policy, techinically they can get fired for taking the same game

[quote name='spyhunterk19'][quote name='trunks982'][quote name='centraldogmae'][quote name='suko_32']Anyone tried a Jampack type of thing yet?[/quote]

That would be a great hidden joke if they rang up as POS... :lol:[/quote]

Stupid POS game...great for trading in :D

[quote name='62t']also does anyone know a good place to get jampacks for cheap?[/quote]

I just found one (Spring 2004) at a Shopko for $1.49 . . . I needed an extra game to get the $10 . . . I'm going to try it with 2 TRU freebies I don't need.

I trade in:
Nintendo preview disc (GC)
SW Rogue Squadren III Preview disc (GC)
Bloodrayne (GC)
NBA Live 2002 (XB)
Vexx (GC)
Rygar (PS2)

Actual credit was $5, but then I got $20 bonus for a total of ~$25.

Picked up Outrun 2 ($15), got the Edge card ($5), and put $5 down on Suikoden IV (didn't get an artbook though). I had a penny left and they had to put it on my EDGE card.LOL

Ok here's what cleared and what didn't clear

Jampacks that worked: PO-Jampack V11 (Spring 04) , PO- Jampack Summer 03 (rated M version), POX- Jampack Winter 02

Jampacks that did not work: POX- Jampack Winter 01, POX Jampack Summer 02 (rated T version), POX- Jampack Winter 03 (rated T version)

They took 1 POX item and it was less recent than one of the ones they didn't take. This is real odd i know. I'll go back tomorrow if i get over the flu. And yes, some Jampacks have demos that others don't. Thats why there's rated T and M versions.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar'][quote name='phammerz']where do you guys find these penny jampacks etc[/quote]

Occasioanlly Circuit City clears out Jampacks, Promo Items, and Demos for a penny. I think the last one was the Kill Zone Demo.[/quote]

I know the Getaway: Black Monday demos are there now, but I don't know if they're pennying them out or not. They also don't come in a normal PS2 case, just a cardboard sleeve.

OP I noticed that you listed Mercenaries as part of the trade in deal along with GTA:SA, Halo 2, and NFSU2. EB Games website only lists those three and not Mercenaries. Can you please double check cause I'm interested in the game and might use that deal.

[quote name='centraldogmae']Ok here's what cleared and what didn't clear

Jampacks that worked: PO-Jampack V11 (Spring 04) , PO- Jampack Summer 03 (rated M version), POX- Jampack Winter 02

Jampacks that did not work: POX- Jampack Winter 01, POX Jampack Summer 02 (rated T version), POX- Jampack Winter 03 (rated T version)

They took 1 POX item and it was less recent than one of the ones they didn't take. This is real odd i know. I'll go back tomorrow if i get over the flu. And yes, some Jampacks have demos that others don't. Thats why there's rated T and M versions.[/quote]

They are supposed to take ALL games. Each store will be different, but every store will take POX games. If an employee says it didn't work they are BSing you. The register does it all automatically.

I recently started working at an EBgames. I'm pretty much know the ins and outs. I know enough though that each store is different. For example, we take multiple copies of the same game, we take games with out instructions and cases while still giving you the same trade-in credit. Hell, we don't even check to see if a game is defective or not until much much later. We also take in all consoles as if they are working, as long as the outside isn't damaged. If you're trading in a console, never ever say it doesn't work.

And for some reason, EBgames won't be carrying pre-played DVD's anymore. They are all being recalled for some reason. Maybe to be sold online only? I don't know, even the manager was clueless.

bread's done
Back