new futurama episodes return june 24!!!

Jesus Christ, the Susan Boyle gag was the worst. I literally groaned. It and the "eyephone" and "tweeter" or whatever were as bad as when The Simpsons tries to shoehorn in a pop-culture gag and totally flops at it (LOL GET IT THEY'RE GOING TO THE MAPPLE STORE FOR A MYPOD!). I really don't like how with every episode there are more and more totally blatant present-day pop cult references. An episode based around parodying the iphone launch and viral videos is never going to hold up as well as something like Luck of the Fryish, War is the H-Word, the Roswell episode, etc, which are still great a decade (roughly?) later.

It had funny parts (Flexo!), but ugh did I groan at every Apple, Twitter, Susan Boyle, Jared from Subway etc reference.

The Susan Boyle gag crashed and burned for me and dragged down the episode since it was one of the major elements in the plot. I can honestly say it's one of the few Futurama gags that has made me groan and I don't think it's going to get any funnier for me upon repeat viewings.

So apparently there was another new episode and it was more Family Guy in their pop culture references than the old Futurama series?

Now I'm glad I forgot it was even back on the air. If that's the caliber of episodes to expect from the 26 episodes, then I'm glad I missed it.

[quote name='DestroVega']Jeez, I thought it was a very funny episode. to each his own I guess.[/QUOTE]
I didn't even see the episode this week. I guess that just shows how far off my radar conventional tv and this series has fallen.

I'm usually surfing the internet researching my hobbies and interests at night anymore or playing a game on the PS3, so by the time I remember there was something I was going to watch on tv I have to YouTube it or whatever.

[quote name='Strell']So hey, Futurama writers.

Are you trying to convince me Fox was actually right to cancel you years ago?[/QUOTE]

The movies already convinced me of that a couple years ago. :cry:

[quote name='Strell']So hey, Futurama writers.

Are you trying to convince me Fox was actually right to cancel you years ago?[/QUOTE]
I take it the last two episodes(including this week's) sucked? I haven't watched any since the second new one.

Now if Adult Swim never lost the rights to the show and were the ones to make new episodes, then I might be watching them.

But I've even stopped watching everything on that network within a network for the most part cuz most of the shit on there I've seen about 1000x each and some of it(Tim & Eric in particular)you couldn't pay me enough to watch even once.:puke:

About the only shows I still watch on there are The Boondocks, Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Venture Brothers. However, they stopped the new season of VB midway through and I have no clue when they're going to start up again.:roll:

I'm done with this show. Just like the Simpson's, the writers are more concerned with being current and didactic than actually being funny.

The Susan Boyle joke felt 100% straight out of Simpsons.

They also seem to be taking a page from the Simpsons' "let's ruin every character we've spent years building up by destroying their entire identities from the inside out just for the sake of shitty jokes and contrived plots" book.

Stolen from:
http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/scripts/itchy-scratchy-poochie

FUTURAMA WRITERS:
Never! (He tears he script in half, sober writers gasp) You can't just kill of a classic TV show. Futurama could be bigger than curly fries. But first it has to win back the audience. That's why I'm going to read these lines I wrote myself with my own two hands.
COMEDY CENTRAL:
Forget it Futurama Writers. We can do this show without you, if we have to.
ORIGINAL VOICE CAST:
But not without us!
COMEDY CENTRAL:
Oh, jeez!
ORIGINAL VOICE CAST:
Let him try the new lines.
COMEDY CENTRAL:
Alright. Alright. We'll try them. Action.
ORIGINAL VOICE CAST:
Hi, Futurama Writers. You look like you've got something to say. Do you?
FUTURAMA WRITERS:
Yes, I certainly do! Hello there. I know there's a lot of people who don't like the show and wish it would go away. I think we got off on the wrong foot. I know I can come off a little proactive, and for that I'm sorry. But if everyone could find a place in their hearts for the little show that nobody wanted, I know we can make them laugh and cry until we grow old together.

Jeepers. Way to cram non-heterosexual marriages down our throats, and not really try to justify the position. Futurama has gone down the toilet for not being as crazy as Roberto as it was.

[quote name='Strell']Poochie Futurama died on the way back to his its home planet new channel.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Strell. You're a true brother in Sarcasm and Mocking.

[quote name='SpazX']I thought the susan boyle one was bad, but the last one was pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I thought last night's episode was much better than last week's. I'm holding out hope for the rest of the season.

Personally, I'm going to give the show some leeway. Especially with these early episodes, if they don't knock it out of the park every week, you have to remember that it's been 7 years that this show was off the air (I'm not counting the movies; to me that's apples to oranges). For all intents and purposes, this is like a brand new show, and how many shows can you think of that are doing their best work 4 episodes in? I'm not sure, but I assume the writing staff is not completely intact with everyone who was there before, so they may have some growing pains. Even in it's original run, Futurama did have the occasional clunker episode. I'm still ecstatic that it's back, and hope it continues on beyond the 26 eps Comedy Central ordered.

That being said, yeah, the Susan Boyle joke was painful. Hopefully, that's the season's low point.

I caught the latter half of the robo sexual episode the other night really early in the morning(2-3am)and I have to admit that it was chuckle worthy, but not at all up to par with the show I remember.

this is how i feel, I didnt feel the first ep was completely up to par, but I realized its been years since they were in that groove. how long did it take the show to get up to how you remember loving it? for me a few eps, for my wife probably about season 2, it takes time to get back into it, and the movies dont technically count because those were wrote to be long and for the most part delivered but now they have to buckle down again and write half hour long shows again, I say let them get about 10 eps under their belt before saying it was a mistake to bring it back because thats about where the show really started shining in the first run. I have faith that they can really get it together

[quote name='Danimal']Personally, I'm going to give the show some leeway. Especially with these early episodes, if they don't knock it out of the park every week, you have to remember that it's been 7 years that this show was off the air (I'm not counting the movies; to me that's apples to oranges). For all intents and purposes, this is like a brand new show, and how many shows can you think of that are doing their best work 4 episodes in? I'm not sure, but I assume the writing staff is not completely intact with everyone who was there before, so they may have some growing pains. Even in it's original run, Futurama did have the occasional clunker episode. I'm still ecstatic that it's back, and hope it continues on beyond the 26 eps Comedy Central ordered.

That being said, yeah, the Susan Boyle joke was painful. Hopefully, that's the season's low point.[/QUOTE]

Here's what I think of each episode so far, on a scale from bad to awesome.

1 - mediocre
2 - good
3 - pretty bad
4 - pretty good
5 - pretty good

I only really disliked the susan boyle episode, all the others weren't bad, some better than others.

Susan Boil lost me a bit, and the robosexual episode had me scratching my head, but I enjoyed the first two...

Crossing fingers that this week's is better. (I have it DVRed... Will see it tonight.)

I have last night's ep on my computer.

The first episode was very "meh". I disliked the Adam & Eve episode. Everything else has been good (though not as great as old eps).

Still, I'm hoping they are getting the ratings they need. Mediocre eps now will likely lead to great eps later (as they get in the groove).

I like that they've basically confirmed Amy as the show slut. They couldn't go too far on fox, but now they aren't even trying to hide it anymore.

Finally watched last week's episode tonight.

Not very good, IMO. It and the Adam & Eve episode were poor.

[quote name='Filler2001']Regarding tonights episode:

Why did Hermes make Bender mortal?
[/QUOTE]

He was "defective" by not having the copy box installed. (I guess he couldn't go back and install it. Maybe it takes too much time?) Hermes was supposed to throw him in the recycling bin. Instead, he "saves" him, by marking him as working/acceptable. So, with no copy box, he's mortal.

Last night's episode was a step forward. Not near the greatness Futurama CAN be, but at least a step forward. I hope it doesn't start an endless loop of
retconning and mythos layering
but I'd settle for that than shitty Susan Boyle jokes and other pop references that wouldn't have been funny HAD they been contemporarily relevant.

Last episode was good, but I kind of had a feeling about the end, I still like how whenever Hermes is involved, there's going to be limboing.

I just saw the latest episode. So lemme get this straight:

All of a sudden Bender is revealed to be immortal despite the fact that, you know, he tried to kill himself in THE VERY FIRST EPISODE OF THE SERIES?

Now it was still a good episode, but stop fucking around with established canon for the sake of a plot device already.

i thought all the episodes have been pretty good so far. my favorites were the last 2. "and now i present, Leanardo Decaprio!" lol

Latest episode was definitely a step in the right direction, even as unfunny as some of these eps are they still haven't topped the pure garbage family guy came out with after the cancellation . I've been going through season 7 wanting to just start banging my head on the wall

Family Guy and American Dad are still around, yet Fox never tried to bring back Futurama? That show was the best, right there with the Simpsons. At this point, I would say the previous Futurama seasons are better then the new Simpsons...which are...so-so.

Definitely feels like the rust is starting to come off. I really think the show's usually better when they write to be more timeless than in the now.

I remember listening to that NPR interview in the car. I thought his explanation for Zoidberg was a little strange, they've basically turned him into Curly, but he didn't mention him as an inspiration for the character.

bread's done
Back