New Games @ Big Lots for $5 (Band Hero, GH: Van Halen, more)

ViolentLee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
81 (100%)
Was at my local (and new) Big Lots today, and browsed the video-game shelves. Some actual games were out, not just the empty boxes. These games were marked for $5.

Titles I saw included Guitar Hero: Van Halen (360), Band Hero (360) and Guitar Hero World Tour (360). Pretty sure I glimpsed Guitar Hero Metallica (Wii) as well, and a few non-music games. But basically, anything that was shrink-wrapped rather than a display box was $5.

Leftovers from Thanksgiving day sale. Mostly Guitar Hero games. I grabbed Van Halen to complete my collection, but I think it was the Canadian version, since it had French wording on it too

Band Hero is pretty horrible, just so you know. It's mostly intended for casuals and girls. Unless you like not-so-great music, Taylor Swift, and Jesse McCartney, that is...

I played it for the achievements. :(

[quote name='Blade']Band Hero is pretty horrible, just so you know. It's mostly intended for casuals and girls. Unless you like not-so-great music, Taylor Swift, and Jesse McCartney, that is...

I played it for the achievements. :([/QUOTE]

Whore

[quote name='Blade']Band Hero is pretty horrible, just so you know. It's mostly intended for casuals and girls. Unless you like not-so-great music, Taylor Swift, and Jesse McCartney, that is...

At $5, it would even be worth it to import the songs into other GH games. I rented it and did that and the songlist isn't too bad. And the 'chievies/trophies are easy too if you're into that kind of thing. :p

[quote name='Nightmarecast25']I loved Band Hero, but then again, I have broad music tastes, not just metal and rock.[/QUOTE]

you mean there's OTHER TYPES OF MUSIC...OTHER THAN METAL OR ROCK?!

[quote name='trunks982']hey. theres nothing wrong with Taylor Swift![/QUOTE]

Nope. I could look at her all day. No clue what she sings though...

Peter Frampton..

But I agree, the setlist is very meh, and I too played for achievements.. (and exporting the songs to pad my library)

[quote name='JMusic']Nope. I could look at her all day. No clue what she sings though...[/QUOTE]
This right here, I'm not much of a country fan but I could listen to her stuff all day, yup there I said it. :booty:

This is now primarily a Taylor Swift thread that also contains some gaming deals.

taylor-swift03.jpg

[quote name='Blade']Band Hero is pretty horrible, just so you know. It's mostly intended for casuals and girls.[/QUOTE]

Because of course girls don't like to play video games that are actually good, right?

[quote name='Mahgin86']Peter Frampton..

But I agree, the setlist is very meh, and I too played for achievements.. (and exporting the songs to pad my library)[/QUOTE]

Frampton isn't on there, but Aly & AJ, Duffy, and three Taylor Swift songs are. I liked a few of the songs, and I like Joss Stone, but generally it's meh. Here's the set list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_Hero#Console_soundtrack

[quote name='morrodox']Because of course girls don't like to play video games that are actually good, right?[/QUOTE]

Wow, way to be sexist. And where did I say what you ignorantly misconstrued? Can you please help me understand what I actually said? It seems to me like I said "INTENDED," which is very closely related to "TARGETED." But how can I begin to understand my own words? I'm totally the person who created this game. It's so obvious. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
Band hero was alright. Had more fun with that then Van Halen.......and I love Van Halen the band, the game was just horribly designed.

[quote name='Nightmarecast25']I loved Band Hero, but then again, I have broad music tastes, not just metal and rock.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I hate metal, so oftentimes about 20% of the GH/RB setlists I never play. I probably enjoyed at least 50% of the Band Hero songs, and I might be wrong, but I think it was the first one to change the way challenges were presented, which later became the way all GH games did them, and I kinda liked that change.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']At $5, it would even be worth it to import the songs into other GH games. I rented it and did that and the songlist isn't too bad. And the 'chievies/trophies are easy too if you're into that kind of thing. :p[/QUOTE]

Seriously...chievies???

[quote name='animemaniac14']you mean there's OTHER TYPES OF MUSIC...OTHER THAN METAL OR ROCK?![/QUOTE]

Go back to Score Hero you crazy person!!! :p I do listen to metal and rock though, but after hanging out on the score hero and guitar hero forums for a few years I learned that many of them have a hard time believing there is music outside of metal and rock.

I actually do like taylor swift :p

What's the cost to import the Band Hero tracks to your hard drive?
I bought Lego Rock Band for cheap a while back, but then had to spend ~$10 to import. End of the day, wasn't really worth it.

[quote name='ViolentLee']What's the cost to import the Band Hero tracks to your hard drive?
I bought Lego Rock Band for cheap a while back, but then had to spend ~$10 to import. End of the day, wasn't really worth it.[/QUOTE]

I think it's $4.99 to export and you get all but 4 or 5 songs.

[quote name='loki993']Anyone seeing these for PS3? I wouldnt mind picking up GH VanHalen[/QUOTE]

I got PS3 copies of Van Halen and World Tour there for an xmas present for someone...so, yes. Pretty YMMV since these are all Black Friday leftovers (my store was almost already cleaned out when I got mine on on Black Friday)...but, from what I saw, Van Halen seemed to be selling the fewest copies, so you might find it.

I liked Band Hero because of the music. Plus it has some nice graphics and a good UI. Enough that I imported all my Guitar Hero games into Band Hero as the base.

The notes... they got really lazy on the songs. Just a string of same repeating notes in many sections.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Band hero was alright. Had more fun with that then Van Halen.......and I love Van Halen the band, the game was just horribly designed.[/QUOTE]

yeah, the Van Halen game was just full of songs I didn't care for. And you'd think since it's a Van Halen game, that it'd have more VH songs!!!

to me, the only thing great about it was the audience. It has the best audience of any music game! That crowd really rocks and the effect is pretty amazing sometime.

I'm tempted to go search for GH: Van Halen for Wii. I got it through that GH 5 promo but Activision just sent a shitty promo disc in a cardboard sleeve. From a collector standpoint I'd like a case and manual to, so for $5 I'd get it from Big Lots.

Didn't see any $5 games at the Lemon Grove, CA location. Did see an $18.88 God of War collection though. I haven't been paying attention to the price of that title but it seemed pretty good.

[quote name='kodave']I'm tempted to go search for GH: Van Halen for Wii. I got it through that GH 5 promo but Activision just sent a shitty promo disc in a cardboard sleeve. From a collector standpoint I'd like a case and manual to, so for $5 I'd get it from Big Lots.[/QUOTE]

I got the same promo and thought the VH game was a mess. I play most music games on Wii so I know how good it should be. I just remember the extra long loadtimes and framerate issues during gameplay.

Did they fix those problems in the retail version. I'd give it another try if they did

[quote name='rbarba4']I got the same promo and thought the VH game was a mess. I play most music games on Wii so I know how good it should be. I just remember the extra long loadtimes and framerate issues during gameplay.

Did they fix those problems in the retail version. I'd give it another try if they did[/QUOTE]

I have no idea, the promo disc is sitting in my rhythm music genre backlog, also for the Wii. But I seriously doubt they fixed anything. They probably had the game complete and waited a while to sell it after GH5 was released so people would spend their money on GH5 first rather than blow it on Van Halen immediately, since this was still at the peak of the rhythm music boom. And they likely wouldn't have fixed anything on the Wii version. Maybe they patched the other console versions after release.

[quote name='kodave']I have no idea, the promo disc is sitting in my rhythm music genre backlog, also for the Wii. But I seriously doubt they fixed anything. They probably had the game complete and waited a while to sell it after GH5 was released so people would spend their money on GH5 first rather than blow it on Van Halen immediately, since this was still at the peak of the rhythm music boom. And they likely wouldn't have fixed anything on the Wii version. Maybe they patched the other console versions after release.[/QUOTE]

OK, thanks. I'll pass then.

Remember selling the promo copy back before the retail version had even been released

I love VH, but that game felt half done without the Hagar years. Hopefully they have Metallica, its the only one i'm missing.

Are these games still $5? And YMMV? Lastly, are there other games beside the music games? I didn't see this thread last week... might have to stop by Big Lots today after work.

I didn't see any $5 games at the Hallandale FL Big Lots. Good deal for anyone that can find some.

[quote name='DDustiNN']Are these games still $5? And YMMV? Lastly, are there other games beside the music games? I didn't see this thread last week... might have to stop by Big Lots today after work.[/QUOTE]

I think they're still $5 (still had $5 stickers on them the last time I looked, I believe)...again, just leftover stock from Black Friday. There are other games, but not $5. There's been a display at my store with some $10-ish titles, but mostly stuff like Hannah Montana, etc. They did get in a shipment of good games before the holidays...things like Tomb Raider Trilogy and Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare for the PS3. Most of their normal games range from $13.88 (mainly for some DS games) to $18.88 (for most console games)...

Might be worth checking to see what they have left when the B1G1 50% sale starts tomorrow (thanks for the heads up, Sway).

They should make a goth hero. It could come with knives and you have to cut yourself in the same way that the character on the screen does. That would be money.

[quote name='VA']They should make a goth hero. It could come with knives and you have to cut yourself in the same way that the character on the screen does. That would be money.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

Band Hero was not bad, people just hate on it's pop-oriented focus instead of, as stated before, rock and metal. Lots of fun tracks on there. American Pie is a BLAST to play, Black Cat is fun, very diverse, and when you import the tracks you can have something for everyone at your next party.

The Big Lots near me had the Goldeneye 007 bundle with the gold Classic controller (Wii) for $30, if that piques any interest. Not sure if that's YMMV or what.

bread's done
Back