New GS.com "In store pickup" Free Shipping

Logical Dolphin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Along the similar vein as Amazon's "release day delivery", GS.com is offering "In store pickup" on select items. The only titles I have seen for this so far are Soul Caliber IV, and Guitar Hero World Tour.

The principle advantage of this option is that you will save on shipping charges, since you can utilize the overnight shipping that the B&M stores use when they get in high profile titles.

Assuming you will be able to use appropriate GS.com coupon codes for this option, this might be a good choice for many people.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this is for new games only? It would be awesome to be able to use the web coupon codes and pick it up in-store.

[quote name='radjago']So this is for new games only? It would be awesome to be able to use the web coupon codes and pick it up in-store.[/quote]

This program (so far) is designed for pre-orders only. I bet this is a new GS plan to help boost preorder/sales numbers in their B&M stores.

You use a credit card to "reserve" the games online and specify which store you would like to pick it up at. You will pay for the game in full at the store when it releases.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']This program (so far) is designed for pre-orders only. I bet this is a new GS plan to help boost preorder/sales numbers in their B&M stores.[/quote]
Sounds like a pretty damn good plan to me. I'd be more apt to place my preorder from the comfort of my home rather than the store (who knows, may get a crazy twitch at 3:30 in the morning sometime and place the pre-order); but on that note it would make more sense to order it from amazon w/ free shipping and no tax (sorry NY) since amazon has a pretty good track record of getting games to people on the release day, regardless of their shipping method - I like this idea for gamestop and I may go ahead and place my pre-order for little big planet to pickup at my local store through their website. Options are a good thing.

I hope this type of a system becomes a standard thing for virtually every item. It might be if it really takes off, and will make that in-store locator even more significant.

[quote name='dg7md']I hope this becomes a standard thing for virtually every item. It might be if it really takes off, and will make that in-store locator even more significant.[/quote]

I think that is a goal GS stated when they went through the website upgrade. If CC & BB can do instore pickup through the internet there is no reason GS shouldn't be able to as well.

Perhaps too much to hope for, but in-store pickup for used items with a guarantee of completeness would be pretty great.

Used games might be more difficult if they have to shift through their own disorganized racks to find a case, sometimes, I only see this with new games they have behind their counter and more popular used titles.

This is the only right way to do pre-orders. It saves you that useless second trip to reserve the thing, and you might actually be able to buy the game on release date at gamestop for once..

Maybe it's me but I don't really see the point in this. If I have to drive to the store to pick it up anyway why bother with the ordering online?

I've never once seen a new game sell out at a gamestop so if I have to drive there to get it that day why even bother ordering it online?

[quote name='duckydan']Maybe it's me but I don't really see the point in this. If I have to drive to the store to pick it up anyway why bother with the ordering online?[/quote]
So you don't have to waste gas driving to the store to just pre-order a game? Also, Some stores like to give you a hard time if you try to pick up a game on day one without a pre-order. And then there are the games they probably won't brother stocking if people don't pre-order it...

Didn't EB used to do something like this? I seemed to recall them taking ordered online for in-store pickup.

If EB refuses to take your $60 for a new game I'm sure there's another store, usually within walking distance, that will gladly take it. That said in all of my years of gaming I've never had a store run out of a game on day 1 (aside from a special promotion such as when target had the 2 guitar pack for GH3 PS2) where I said "man I wish I paid $10 in advance to preorder that game"

This is such good news - thank you. I'm with many here in hoping that this eventually applies to used games. Generally what keep sme from doing more ordering through GS online for used stuff is the shipping + tax. If I could combine this with online coupon discounts, I would definitely order more from them.

I've had great luck ordering used in the past, and even though I don't care about "complete" games at all, the games I have ordered have always arrived complete. I know others dislike some of their business practices, but ultimately I'm fine with GS as long I can get a deal.

ok, so this is basically a way to preorder without going to the store? very good news

So what happens if you fail to come in and pick up/pay for your pre-order? Do they then charge your CC the amount of the game? Sounds like something I won't be using either way.

About time is right... i hate to wait on lines... with this option, i probably only need to wait on lines only once, pick up, not bad at all.

p.s. i hate shipping for two reasons, #1 being damaged corners (LE MGS guide book got a din on the corner) #2 waiting for the stuffs to arrive. Since GS stores are pretty much everywhere in Manhattan, NYC, this is all good...

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']So what happens if you fail to come in and pick up/pay for your pre-order? Do they then charge your CC the amount of the game? Sounds like something I won't be using either way.[/quote]

I believe you have to pickup the stuffs within a period of time, maybe a week. Pretty much like BB's store pickup option. I remember once i forgot to pick up an order from BB in store, the store canceled my order after a week or so, my CC was never charged (although it feels like it was charged, i.e. the confirmation e-mail for pickup),

I'm pretty sure Gamestop only hold pre-orders (reserves) for 48 hours. At least that's the way it used to be. I can't imagine them NOT charging you something if you don't come in and get it, otherwise there would be nothing stopping you from changing your mind and not getting the game.

I used the in store pickup option for the Fable 2 collectors edition. It said if I don't pick it up in 48 hours that they will charge my credit card 5 bucks, and I'll loose my reservation. I like the idea of reserving a game and not having to put any money down. If I don't want the game later I don't have to fight the GS employees to get my 5 buck deposit back. The email says that I have the option to edit my reservation anytime by calling the local store I used for the pickup.

They pay for your shipping, and you get the game on launch day. I would rather pay $.50 worth of gas driving to GS than pay at least a gallon worth for shipping. Thats also not counting the several days of waiting for the mail man.

bread's done
Back