New Hampshire thread

360CoreGaMer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Hey,

I know there has to be some people from NH on this board, where are some good places to check out for video games?

a great place to find some retro gaming systems, but not for prices is a little place called Game Spin located in somersworth NH.

I'm from Troy myself which is also right down the road from Keene so yeah, limited to pretty much the two Gamestops. The GS in the Colony Mill used to have some decent people working there but they've moved on.

Last I knew Keene also had an independent store, Game Express or something of the like, does anyone know if its still around? I remember I got some decent deals on a bunch of Dreamcast stuff there years back.

[quote name='Black Edge']I'm from Troy myself which is also right down the road from Keene so yeah, limited to pretty much the two Gamestops. The GS in the Colony Mill used to have some decent people working there but they've moved on.

Last I knew Keene also had an independent store, Game Express or something of the like, does anyone know if its still around? I remember I got some decent deals on a bunch of Dreamcast stuff there years back.[/quote]

Sweet, someone else that is actually in the same area as me. I go to the Hinsdale GS more than the Keene two. There is a lady at the Colony Mill one that I swear to god hates me.

[quote name='Black Edge']I'm from Troy myself which is also right down the road from Keene so yeah, limited to pretty much the two Gamestops. The GS in the Colony Mill used to have some decent people working there but they've moved on.

Last I knew Keene also had an independent store, Game Express or something of the like, does anyone know if its still around? I remember I got some decent deals on a bunch of Dreamcast stuff there years back.[/quote]

Are you thinking of the game store that was in that little strip mall plaza near Friendlys? I dont remember the name of that store but it was awful. I shopped there once and got a defective N64 game that did not work out of the package (which is really rare from what I've heard). When I took it back to the store (about 90 minutes after I bought it) the owner told me it "wasn't his problem". When I persisted in asking for him to give me a replacement, he physically grabbed me by the back of the neck and dragged me to the door and pushed me out.

What a jackass. No wonder that place went out of business in less than a year. Good riddance

I called the cops on that guy when he put his hands on me, but of course the cops wouldn't listen to a kid over a business owner. They basically patted me on my head and sent me on my merry way. I told the cops that the store had video security cameras and they should check the tapes to see I was telling the truth and they said they would look into it (which we all know is code for "I don't have time to deal with you right now kid. Go away.)

Micro44 - I do recall the place you're talking about, though the name escapes me. I was never too fond of it, I think the only thing I ever bought from there was Mega Man Legends back on the PlayStation. The guy who ran it always struck me as shady. There is another place though, it's on West Street right off the rotary at the head of the square in downtown Keene, right next to a comic book shop. It's called Game Express, but I haven't been there in a while so I'm not sure if its still open. If they are I'm surprised, they've been there since just before EB Games went into the Colony Mill. The guy that runs that place was always friendly enough, if you bought enough he'd give you a deal on it. Might be worthwhile to check out if they're still around.

Antic - I wonder if I'm thinking of the same person here. Last summer both my sister and myself picked up a bunch of Nintendo DS stuff (system included) and there was this rather large girl working there that pretty much flatly refused to give us any help, she just sat in a corner and played her DS while making the trainee run the computer system he obviously hadn't been properly trained on. It took us both a half hour to check out which is insane. Later I went back to pick up Bioshock on release day and got the same waste of space behind the counter. I asked for the game and she replied "Did you pre-order it?" and I said "no" and she responded "then no". I then asked "do you know anywhere else in town that has it" and she just said "no, everyone's sold out". After a five minute drive to the Target near Home Depot I had a copy in my hands, one of the ten they had in stock. Suffice to say I didn't return to that EB until I heard that they had fired her for being rude to customers.

I hope that's the person you're thinking of, it's a shame to see more dead weight working there. Our game store options are rather limited in this area and, as much as I hate it sometimes, EB / Gamestop comes in as the only option in a crunch.

[quote name='Black Edge']Antic - I wonder if I'm thinking of the same person here. Last summer both my sister and myself picked up a bunch of Nintendo DS stuff (system included) and there was this rather large girl working there that pretty much flatly refused to give us any help, she just sat in a corner and played her DS while making the trainee run the computer system he obviously hadn't been properly trained on. It took us both a half hour to check out which is insane. Later I went back to pick up Bioshock on release day and got the same waste of space behind the counter. I asked for the game and she replied "Did you pre-order it?" and I said "no" and she responded "then no". I then asked "do you know anywhere else in town that has it" and she just said "no, everyone's sold out". After a five minute drive to the Target near Home Depot I had a copy in my hands, one of the ten they had in stock. Suffice to say I didn't return to that EB until I heard that they had fired her for being rude to customers.

I hope that's the person you're thinking of, it's a shame to see more dead weight working there. Our game store options are rather limited in this area and, as much as I hate it sometimes, EB / Gamestop comes in as the only option in a crunch.[/quote]

I wish it was the same girl, but it isn't unfortunately. She got pissed at me two seperate occasions when I was using the 25% on used games coupon (xbox once, PS2 the next). I'm not into buying games that look like someone stepped on it and spun around in a circle on it. I had got 5 games and two of them were like this. I said I didn't want them, and she gave me the whole "it's really not a big deal with the condition, it's guaranteed to play fine" angrily spiel. I said that I'll still pass, and she started huffing and puffing at me, and then looked at her co-worker as she started mumbling. I bought the other ones, and she then started talking shit loudly about how ridiculous it was that I cared about the discs as I walked out.

The second incident that happened involving her came when I was picking up Suikoden IV and FFXII Collector's Edition with the coupon. Suikoden IV was fine, but the problem happened with Final Fantasy. She searched through the counter, and only pulled out the game disc. She started to put it in the case to start to scan it, and I asked her "isn't it two discs?" She replied with "yeah, but I can't find it. The disc in there is for the regular edition too, but it's ok because the content is the same". I told her I didn't want it because there really isn't a reason to pay more for a game if I don't even get the extra content. She pulled the same huffing and puffing, and I just got out as soon as I could with Suikoden.

I barely ever go to that one now. I only go there if I'm looking for a game that isn't anywhere else. Heh, sorry for my long story.

I only tried buying something from the Colony Mill EB once, and they gave me a hard time there so I never went back. I was buying a used copy of Metroid Prime Pinball for DS for my wife and I to play. When the girl was taking the used game out to put in the case there was no manual. I asked if there was a manual for it somewhere and she said "It's Pinball...if you don't know how to play pinball by now a little book isn't going to help you."

I asked for a number to call her manager to complain about her attitude and she just threw the game on the counter and walked to the back room and never came back out. I waited for about 3 minutes and just gave up and left.

I have had pretty good luck at the other EB down by Home Depot.

The old place you guys are thinking of was called Game Pad I think. Went there once after I got my PS1 then it disappeared.

Game Express is okay. It smells like a pet store because of all the cats they have. Either that or it's just one cat that absolutely destroys the litter box. It's full of new PS2 and Xbox games that are never going to sell. I stop by every now and then and I see the exact same copies of old games sitting on the shelves for $20+, most of which you can get anywhere else for a lot less. I suppose it's good if you want something lie Psi-Ops or War or the Monsters new. I rarely buy anything there. Probably only four or five things in the past five or so years. Not many PS3/360 games.

They are pretty cool about trades though. They don't screw you as badly as GameStop. I had a new Mass Effect LE still in the shrink wrap and since I had $8 in credit already, he gave me $52 so I could basically get GTA4 for free when it came out. I always kind worried about losing out on my credit though if they went out of business. And they print out credit reciepts and they like to hold onto them while giving you nothing to prove you have credit there other than giving them your name. Kinda shady if you ask me. I got them to give me a reciept though.

Their hours suck. Every other time I go there, there is a sign that says, "out to lunch, be back at 1" or whatever. A few weeks ago I was looking for Twin Snakes for GC and around 3:30 there was a sign that said "be back at 4". I went back at around 4:45 and they were closed. It's like they don't want me to shop there. Right now they are open only on Thursdays for a few hours or something because of a "family emergency."

Edit; Some ideas sound great, until they are written down.

Better idea however would be if we from New Hampshire, and close to it, could all meet up and go look for deals, perhaps a meet up at a flea market or something.

The only stores that sell exclusivly games in my area are Gamestops in Manch Vegas. Besides Chains and a Play N Trade (which is too far out for me to get to reguarly), are there any other game stores in NH?

Don't know if it matters to anyone, but there's a Gamestop being built in Rochester right off of exit 13. Less driving for me now :D

[quote name='Ahadi']Don't know if it matters to anyone, but there's a Gamestop being built in Rochester right off of exit 13. Less driving for me now :D[/quote]

I was driving back from Rochester the other day and saw it off of route 16 by the Lowes there, which is really awesome... too bad I barely ever go up that way.

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']I was driving back from Rochester the other day and saw it off of route 16 by the Lowes there, which is really awesome... too bad I barely ever go up that way.[/QUOTE]

It's quite nice for me. Now its a 3 mile drive as opposed to 12 to 25 to Dover/Newington/Portsmouth.

I'm just worried about the douchebags that will end up working there, and even worse, the douchebags that will be shopping there. The Rochester store has potential to be a god awful place.

The Rochester area you will get such a variety of people, but I can see it mostly being bad, but hopefully it won't be as bad as we think.

Now I live in MA about 20 minutes from the NH border, and I'm between probably 6 or so Gamestops all of which are 20 minutes away from where I am, and I really want them to open one a bit closer to me, just to have one more local... not that a 20 minute drive is a problem, but it's still a pain when I want to go somewhere... and that's all stores, not just GS that are 20 minutes away at least.

[quote name='Ahadi']It's quite nice for me. Now its a 3 mile drive as opposed to 12 to 25 to Dover/Newington/Portsmouth.

I'm just worried about the douchebags that will end up working there, and even worse, the douchebags that will be shopping there. The Rochester store has potential to be a god awful place.[/quote]

It is nice to have 3 so close.

There are 3 Gamestops in ManchVegas within about 1 mile of each other. Heck, 2 of them are in the same mall (ones an EB tho)

Just a quick thing, they're opening a Circuit City in Amherst today at 6PM, and first 100 people get a $50 Dollar Gift Card, and it's 10% off DVDs and a majority of CDS priced 11-15 will be 9.99. Plus they have the standard giveaways and stuff

[quote name='DaftPunkFan37']
Just a quick thing, they're opening a Circuit City in Amherst today at 6PM, and first 100 people get a $50 Dollar Gift Card, and it's 10% off DVDs and a majority of CDS priced 11-15 will be 9.99. Plus they have the standard giveaways and stuff[/quote]

Seriously?! Please tell me you're not talking about the one on route 101A? I was just there yesterday and I didn't know about this :bomb:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Seriously?! Please tell me you're not talking about the one on route 101A? I was just there yesterday and I didn't know about this :bomb:[/quote]
Near a Sports Authority and a Micheals. They had coupons at the store with it.

I was so pissed off. I got there an hour before, and there were at least 200 people in line, and they had already given out the gift card. Went to Sports Authority and Micheals with my Ma, and when we checked the line again, there were 300 people!! :O

It's one of those "The City" stores, which is a lot smaller, and was really nice.

I got my revenge for not gettign a gift card by switching a couple of the computers home pages to Joystiq announcing the 360 price cut, and talked about it loudly when I got to the end of the line. So I feel happy. Plus I got a Cup and Cup Holder, which was also nice

200 people in line? Wow. I wouldn't do that for a giftcard.

I'll have to check that place out before I leave for school. Sounds nice, and they may still be running some promotions or something.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']200 people in line? Wow. I wouldn't do that for a giftcard.

I'll have to check that place out before I leave for school. Sounds nice, and they may still be running some promotions or something.[/quote]
It was only for the first 100 people too, and they had already handed it out

The coupon was through Sunday, so you shoudl be fine as long as they have one

- micro

Do you, by any chance, know if the GameStop in Keene is doing a midnight release for Fallout 3? I can't imagine they would be; it doesn't have a large enough fan base behind it.

Just thought I'd ask. My trips into Keene are very limited, so I can't really go ask them. I have no car here :cry:

Have not heard anything about it. I am thinking about waiting for a month or two on it to see if that Amazon.com premium edition with the clock ever goes on sale like the Legendary Halo 3 did.

The one up here in Littleton NH is constantly packed. It's crazy how deprieved the north country was of a game store besides Wal-Mart. Can only imagine how well a Best Buy would do.

I fortunatly only lost power from Thursday Night to Saturday. Though I lost cable from Sunday-Tuesday, despite having Saturday (fuckING COMCAST CAN SUCK MY DICK, especially since I have to pay a shitload for it)

Although it wasn't too bad. I didn't have school Friday, Monday, or Tuesday (and we should've had Wednesday, bus nearly crashed on the road). In addition, I got out at 2PM last Thursday due to the ice and i'm getting out tomorrow at 1PM due to the snow

But ya, I'll upload some sick pics later

Oddly, Northern NH was mostly unaffected by the storms...but we're having a massive storm right now.

Oh and the Littleton NH Gamestop does not sell sealed games. At all. Even when you buy a game "new", it's opened and they take the disc out of a mailer and put it in. Ridiculous. You can't even return anything because they're automatically open when you buy the game. Anyone know who to report this too? You can't even buy Christmas presents because they're already opened.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Oddly, Northern NH was mostly unaffected by the storms...but we're having a massive storm right now.

Oh and the Littleton NH Gamestop does not sell sealed games. At all. Even when you buy a game "new", it's opened and they take the disc out of a mailer and put it in. Ridiculous. You can't even return anything because they're automatically open when you buy the game. Anyone know who to report this too? You can't even buy Christmas presents because they're already opened.[/quote]

I don't think reporting them is going to do anything. Gamestop doesn't care about it's customers. Mine is the same way unless you're there at launch and they haven't had a chance to open the game yet. I bought Devil May Cry 4 new at mine, and the guy put a HUGE scratch on the bottom when pulling it out of the mailer. From then on, I swore I was never buying new games from them again, unless it's a midnight launch and it's sealed.

It makes absolutely no fucking sense for them to be opening games. It would be one thing if their policies were at least consistent, but they're not. Some stores won't refund open games, and some won't refund sealed games, and in some places, they won't refund either. It's ludacris. I only go to gamestop when I'm buying used, but I'm trying not to buy used anymore, so Gamestop has been almost totally phased out for me.

[quote name='Ahadi']Anyone know if Pink DS Lite's are tough to find in the Portsmouth/Dover/Rochester area?[/quote]

A few days before Christmas? Yes. I think any DS will be hard to find...

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']A few days before Christmas? Yes. I think any DS will be hard to find...[/QUOTE]

We managed to snag a pink DS and a Wii ;)

I can't really help you with air brushing though. I believe there's a place in the Fox Run Mall in Newington, but I'm pretty sure that's way out of your way.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I don't think reporting them is going to do anything. Gamestop doesn't care about it's customers. Mine is the same way unless you're there at launch and they haven't had a chance to open the game yet. I bought Devil May Cry 4 new at my, and the guy out a HUGE scratch in the bottom when pulling it out of the mailer. From then on, I swore I was never buying new games from them again, unless it's a midnight launch and it's sealed.

It makes absolutely no fucking sense for them to be opening games. It would be one thing if their policies were at least consistent, but they're not. Some stores won't refund open games, and some won't refund sealed games, and in some places, they won't refund either. It's ludacris. I only go to gamestop when I'm buying used, but I'm trying not to buy used anymore, so Gamestop has been almost totally phased out for me.[/QUOTE]

I was just really mad when I wrote that lol. It's so stupid. I'm glad I finally have a gamestop so I can have variety compared to having only a walmart for the past 8 years (and before that mail order), but it's still stupid that they open the games. When I ask why they say "So we make sure they're complete". Le sigh.

yea, i cant remember anytime that i have actually bought a new game at gamestop.

i buy used, saves money, and if i ever buy new it sure isnt at GS.

are there any members that actually report deals here from the new Hampshire area? I guess I can report that radioshack in Salem by has guitar hero 3 bundle for ps2 for 22.99 price range. Sorry I can't Remember exactly how much but it was pretty cheap. If anyone else please report thanks!
I'm looking for the gaming ottoman that has been clearanced at various targets. Has anyone seen this for cheaper than 39.99?

I don't quite understand how that is a factor of someone reporting clearance deals at local radioshacks, sears, targets. We do have those stores in new Hampshire. Feel free to get it through my thick skull.

[quote name='Joe Sparxxx']I don't quite understand how that is a factor of someone reporting clearance deals at local radioshacks, sears, targets. We do have those stores in new Hampshire. Feel free to get it through my thick skull.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to come off sounding rude. It's just that when deals say YMMV, what it means is "everywhere but NH" :lol: We do get the raw end of the deals up here... and if you find a deal, in my experience, it's a one shot mistake/happening.

Either way, welcome to the NH thread :D Happy hunting ;)

bread's done
Back