New hard drive, or new PS3?

LuisRM

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm hoping to get some opinions on my situation. I currently have an 80gb PS3 (fat bc) and I'm out of hard drive space. The system has gotten a black screen (no picture, but sound) a couple of times and required a system reset (no lost data though). I don’t know why.

I can buy a new 320gb hard drive for $95 or I can buy a new 320gb PS3 for $275. Gamestop has a promotion to trade in your ps3 for $110. I don't want to sell on Craigslist or Ebay though due to the potential black screen issue.

My buddy has a new 250gb PS3 he's trying to unload, but I don't know what a fair offer is. Any thoughts?

One way or the other I need a larger hard drive. I just have too much stuff on there and have to upgrade. My total out of pocket could be as little as $95. Or with a trade in, as much as $165. That is a difference of $70 for a larger hard drive and newer system. There are misc. plusses and minuses which I could go into, but I think they even out.

I don’t see the PS3 dropping in price or having any super deals until closer to the holidays. Thanks for any opinions on what I should do. :D

As long as it's not freezing up during games I would say just get a bigger hard drive. You should be able to find one for a lot less than $95 if you keep an eye out for sales. I would also stay with the same speed specs as the original drive, as faster ones tend to run warmer and the last thing you want to do is add more heat. Hope that helps.

Another question is if you manually go through and delete the game data from older games you haven't played in a long time. I'm not talking your game saves, but the info the games copy from the disc to the hard drive to decrease load times.

If not, I think you'll be surprised how much data you can free up. Lots of games take up anywhere from 2GB to 4GB, so it doesn't take much to free up a ton of space.

For some reason when I started Skyrim on my PS3 a few weeks ago (using patch 1.4 from the start), it was slow and frames were being skipped. I removed a few extra GB of data from the hard drive, then Skyrim started behaving fine.

Just an alternative if you don't want to spend money on a new hard drive or new PS3.

I would probably just get a new ps3 as long as it doesn't hurt you too bad financially. Your old one may work fine for a good while longer, but it won't last forever.

Thanks for all the reply's and suggestions everyone. I really appreciate it.

Brewtownska, I'll take a look at my files. I try and go through it regularly, but I may have missed some larger data. Being a PS+ member though, I'm bound to run out of space in a couple of months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have the original fat 80gb w/BC. I had to delete a lot of data installs just to play a new game or download DLC/PSN.PS1 Classics, PSN+ games/etc. I'm in the same market as you Luis. Looking for a new HDD or just save up and get a new PS3. Also would like to know what brands and specs to look at too!

Yeah I'd go with the hard drive upgrade. 80GB BC model here too, put a 320gb Western Digital 5400rpm drive in their. Works like a charm.

Off topic, but I really hope the rumors of being able to install disc games to the hardrive on PS4/Orbis are true. I plan on putting in a SSD, so I'd imagine that install + SSD = lightning quick. I just hope prices come down by 2014.

I'm fairly sure once you've "bought" an item in the PSN store, you can delete it and re-download it as often as you want. I think the exception to that is if your PSN+ subscription lapses, then it will deny you access to download something again (but it would also deny you access to the game already downloaded to your PS3, so either way you lose). So if you have any large games you haven't played in a while, you can still delete them and re-download them again at a later point.

bread's done
Back