New Import Games At BB B&M - Jump Superstars ($50) DS and Naruto DS ($40)

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
While I was at my BB today picking up Cooking Mama and some other DVDs, I noticed that they had Jump Superstars and one of the Japanese Naruto games. I practically had to do a double take since I've never seen import titles at a BB and they had the exact same stickers on them at Fry's puts on their import games indicating that they can be played on American systems, but either have english subs or in Japanese. Jump Superstars was priced $50 and Naruto was $40. A bit on the high end and not a true CAG deal, but after GGC it's like buying them from Play Asia with one of their coupons and really not that bad if you can't find an import store or can't buy from online.

I spoke to one of the employees and he was pretty shocked that they got them as well and thought that they had gotten Fry's shipment by accident. Was pretty funny seeing him on the aisle asking his manager about them.

I didn't really check the other sections at my BB, but hopefully they start bringing in more import titles.

Edit: Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet.

Imports at Best Buy? Can't say I'd complain, but I also think that this was either a mistake or it's an idea that's going to die very, very soon.

Here in Tinley Park, IL too. You can also add

PSP Breath of Fire III (European version) for $39.99 ....very tempting
PSP Naruto : Narutimete Portable for $49.99

Maybe some JP Xbox 360 titles will be imported next.... (not bloody likely)

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Here in Tinley Park, IL too. You can also add

Maybe some JP Xbox 360 titles will be next.... (not likely)[/quote]

It sounds like it is mostly all of the import titles that Fry's carries, which if that is the case than from what I 've heard they are trying to get some import 360 games there as well so who knows.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Here in Tinley Park, IL too. You can also add

Maybe some JP Xbox 360 titles will be imported next.... (not bloody likely)[/QUOTE]

Hint: Don't buy BOFIII.

Interesting. I almost bought Jump SuperStars at Fry's a while back, but decided not to. I definitely would have bought Bleach DS from BB w/GGC--would've been even a little cheaper than yesasia w/free shipping...

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']It sounds like it is mostly all of the import titles that Fry's carries, which if that is the case than from what I 've heard they are trying to get some import 360 games there as well so who knows.[/QUOTE]

Don't count on import Xbox 360 games... right now with the games that BB is carrying, they are portable games and work on ANY DS or PSP. Just throw a note that it's a Japanese import and bam, you're set.

Imagine if they started carrying import PS2 / 360 games... it would be a freaking nightmare, they would have so many fucking returns from people not knowing how to play it on their system.

[quote name='Roufuss']Don't count on import Xbox 360 games... right now with the games that BB is carrying, they are portable games and work on ANY DS or PSP. Just throw a note that it's a Japanese import and bam, you're set.

Imagine if they started carrying import PS2 / 360 games... it would be a freaking nightmare, they would have so many fucking returns from people not knowing how to play it on their system.[/QUOTE]

i imagine they would only import the region free xbox 360 games to avoid such problems.

What would they import though? There aren't any Japanese Xbox 360 games that are region free to my knowledge, and there aren't many Japanese games that people would want to import anyway. As for Asian games, the only reason people import them is because they are cheaper (or because they have a Japanese Xbox 360 like me). In terms of the games available, there's precious little that isn't already available in the US.

[quote name='icruise']What would they import though? There aren't any Japanese Xbox 360 games that are region free to my knowledge, and there aren't many Japanese games that people would want to import anyway. As for Asian games, the only reason people import them is because they are cheaper (or because they have a Japanese Xbox 360 like me). In terms of the games available, there's precious little that isn't already available in the US.[/quote]

Aren't there a lot of really good X360 deals on play-asia which are imports?

As I mentioned above, the ones that people buy from Play Asia are the Asian versions of US games (the "Asian" version is not the same as the Japanese version, just so you know). There's no way that Best Buy or any American retail store would import those to sell, since they already sell the US versions for more.

There may be some, but I can't think of any XBox 360 games that are available as region-free imports but are not available in the US.

[quote name='icruise']I can't think of any XBox 360 games that are available as region-free imports but are not available in the US.[/quote] That is correct.

I myself did a double take when I saw those imports. But lets just hope they will bring more games, I wouldn't mind if they were older ones either.

I was a little surprised when Fry's started carrying imports... but Best Buy is a bigger fish. Most (if not all) Japanese games explicitly stat something like the following (taken from my Jump SuperStars):

For sale and use in Japan only. Commercial use, unauthorized copy and rental prohibited.

I can see them turning a blind eye to import shops, and maybe even fry's since they're not everywhere. But Best Buy? If a company had paid money for a localized Breath of Fire III port, for instance, they'd be pretty ticked, right?

[quote name='fujishig']I was a little surprised when Fry's started carrying imports... but Best Buy is a bigger fish. Most (if not all) Japanese games explicitly stat something like the following (taken from my Jump SuperStars):

For sale and use in Japan only. Commercial use, unauthorized copy and rental prohibited.

I can see them turning a blind eye to import shops, and maybe even fry's since they're not everywhere. But Best Buy? If a company had paid money for a localized Breath of Fire III port, for instance, they'd be pretty ticked, right?[/QUOTE]

It would be a real kick in the pants to Sony who dosen't want to see games like BoF 3 and Tales of Eternia in the US, that's for sure.

What would be even more amazing is if they started selling well, which might cause Sony to rethink it's whole stance on ports.

[quote name='icruise']Surely the average consumer isn't going to buy an RPG that's all in Japanese.[/QUOTE]

BoF 3 and Tales of Eternia are probably the European imports which are 100% U.S translated.

I love how Sony tells U.S. consumers what to like.
They don't bother to ask, its just here no BOF III or Tales take Astonishia Story and Kingdom of Paradise!
Their better than some crappy port anyway.
Ha

cool news, Ill check my local bestbuy later when I have some extra cash. ive wanted to get JSS for awhile, but then again the sequel is comeing out soon with online play so I may just wait and see if BB gets that one in as well. this deal may be YMMV, they might just be seeing how it goes in certain stores before carrying it nation wide.

but thats just a blind guess.

I wish they would import the Naruto Ninja Taisen games to BB! I would totally be over those if they were cheaper than play asia and because I don't have to wait for the package to arrive.

[quote name='icruise']Surely the average consumer isn't going to buy an RPG that's all in Japanese.[/QUOTE]

The Breath of Fire III import is the European version. I just picked it up this morning...$39.99.

[quote name='Roufuss']BoF 3 and Tales of Eternia are probably the European imports which are 100% U.S translated.[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken these are the European ports which have the in-game text with an option for English. I think the sticker on the box of these games clearly says that.

[quote name='fujishig']I was a little surprised when Fry's started carrying imports... but Best Buy is a bigger fish. Most (if not all) Japanese games explicitly stat something like the following (taken from my Jump SuperStars):

I can see them turning a blind eye to import shops, and maybe even fry's since they're not everywhere. But Best Buy? If a company had paid money for a localized Breath of Fire III port, for instance, they'd be pretty ticked, right?[/quote]

Ya know, I thougth that as well. Because my buddy was wondering about that. And since its liscensed there it shouldn't be able to be taken over here and sold. Or something like that.

And no Imports @ Best Buy in Ohio (Wooster). I talked to the guy that did video games, he never heard of what was going on. The guy looked like a bassist flunky for REO Speedwagon but whateva. I'm getting Bleach DS and JSS soon enough.

Maybe BB will sell Bleach 2nd and JUS. That I would get. :cool:

Seeing as how there are four Naruto games on the DS (Naruto RPG 2, Naruto RPG 3, Naruto Saikyou Ninja Daikesshu 3, and Naruto Saikyou Ninja Daikesshu 4), would any care to specify which ones they have seen, if they happen to remember?

Seeing as how there are four Naruto games (Naruto RPG 2, Naruto RPG 3, Naruto Saikyou Ninja Daikesshu 3, and Naruto Saikyou Ninja Daikesshu 4) on the DS, would any care to specify which ones they have seen, if they happen to remember?

[quote name='-X-']Seeing as how there are four Naruto games on the DS (Naruto RPG 2, Naruto RPG 3, Naruto Saikyou Ninja Daikesshu 3, and Naruto Saikyou Ninja Daikesshu 4), would any care to specify which ones they have seen, if they happen to remember?[/QUOTE]

Naruto Saikyou Ninja Daikesshu 4 DS for $40, I believe.

Finally saw these appear at my local BB. Broke down and picked up BoF3 for $35 after GGC (god I loved that game). ^_^

I still haven't seen em around mine. Trying to resist the urge to buy Jump, since we know Ultimate is literally on the horizon. Not really any cheaper anyway, except for the $5 price break you can create for yourself with a GGC.

Sure hope they carry Ultimate, hopefully weeks after release. But I'm a bit skeptical. Maybe I should just break down and pre-order it somewhere.

Confirmed at Best Buy in Glen Burnie, MD. 2 or 3 copies each of Naruto and JSS. Also saw some PSP japanese games, but can't confirm titles.

[quote name='G-Nitro']Confirmed at Best Buy in Glen Burnie, MD. 2 or 3 copies each of Naruto and JSS. [/quote]

Saw these in Knoxville, TN also.

Anybody got a link to a review of Naruto and JSS?

bread's done
Back