New iPod announced, Movies and Videogames...

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
indextopb20060912.jpg

Now that you can buy movies from the iTunes Store and sync them to your iPod, the whole world is your theater. With a 30GB or 80GB iPod in hand, those movies fit comfortably next to TV shows, new iPod games, podcasts, audiobooks, photo albums, and, of course, an entire library of music — up to 20,000 songs, in fact. Now starting at $249, iPod is a pocket-size prodigy.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipod.html

Wow... kinda makes my Ipod Nano seem trivial by comparision.

The tech geek in me wants one of these, but I know it will just sit there and gather dust much like my Nano is doing, plus I don't want to rebuy all my movies / shows just to watch them on the go.

Subtle, but worthwhile changes. Too bad I already have a video Ipod. :p

Then again, would my wife want a pink Nano for xmas...?

HA-HA! I am right! My girlfriend was bugging me for about a month to get her an iPod and she didn't want tot wait. Good thing I convinced her to hold out just a little longer since she was all about having it for video. That iTV thing has potential too for her, but I don't even watch TV.

[quote name='evanft']Can't you already play games on an iPod?[/quote]

yeah, but now you can buy them through iTunes.

They're not bad games, actually, but I'm sure everyone already has these on their cell phone, or PC, etc.. And of course, there's the iPod Mame (which featured Pac-Man, ironically).

I'm tempted to dl one, though, since I still have credits from that driving survey (thx CAG!)...

Here are the new nanos:

indexfallingnanos20060912.png

A thinner design. Five stylish colors. A brighter display. Up to 24 hours of battery life. Just about the only thing that hasn’t changed is the name. In 2GB, 4GB, and 8GB models starting at $149

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I still don't want an iPod. CD player + CD-R = $40

When Apple comes out with the $40 iPod, maybe I'll get one.[/QUOTE]
Depending on how you use it, that can be a great way to go. For others, though, it's great to have their entire music collection on one small device without hauling books of discs around. They're still incredibly expensive, but worthwhiel if you have use for it.

I might be getting a Nano soon. My PSP does games perfectly and movies much better than the ipod because of the nice screen size, but I want a smaller MP3 player. I was going to pick up the $100 SanDisk MP3 player, but an ipod for $150 sounds good. I'm glad I didn't buy the 1 GB version a few months ago.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']When Apple comes out with the $40 iPod[/QUOTE]

You don't know much about Apple, do you? They don't do "sales."

OT, today marks the *SECOND* occasion on which I buy an iPod and a new version is announced a day later. The first time (just about a year ago, actually), I ordered a mini for my wife; the next morning, BAM! Hello Nano!

Last night, I ordered a 20in iMac, and a 2GB Nano (since I get a rebate for the full price of the Nano). This morning: BAM! New Nano.

On both occasions, to Apple's credit, they put a hold on my order. I switched up to the Nano last year, but since the new Nanos don't qualify for the rebate, I stuck with last year's model. I'll just end up giving it away for Christmas anyway.

Uh Question.

So the only difference between this "new" iPod is that you can now pay to download stupid flash games on it?

Cmon. Apple.

Nice quote from Conan btw.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Uh Question.

So the only difference between this "new" iPod is that you can now pay to download stupid flash games on it?

Cmon. Apple.

Nice quote from Conan btw.[/quote]

Upgrade in capacity, $50 cheaper for each model.

A touch screen video iPod is in the works for later though (basically, the entire face would be the screen.)

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Upgrade in capacity, $50 cheaper for each model.

A touch screen video iPod is in the works for later though (basically, the entire face would be the screen.)[/QUOTE]

I understand it's cheaper. But if the touch screen video iPod is true, Apple is simply duping people into purchasing this one because of the cheaper price-tag, only to show them that their "new" product is already obsolete, only months (I have no idea, this touch screen rumor has been around forever) later.

There's also a new iPod shuffe.

http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/

They arnt duped if they want it.
I will most likely pick up the new 80gig version and not wait for the newer video one. It will most likely be another $100-$150 more than the current ipod, and frankly, that'll be a bit too much.

I dunno, I guess I'll just sell this old one soon and get the new one...Anybody want a 30gb ipod video for around $225? :p

i already have a video but im really tempted to buy the new nano for my music and then having the video for...you know, videos. i know it sounds crazy but those nanos look so sweeet. plus i only need 1,000 or so songs...

[quote name='SpazX']I dunno, I guess I'll just sell this old one soon and get the new one...Anybody want a 30gb ipod video for around $225? :p[/quote]

No offense, but I think most people would rather spend $125 more to get one with 4 times as much memory and brand new with a warrenty...Since they're already spending so much, $125 wouldn't seem like too much to quad the memory IMO.

I've been holding off from an ipod for a while since my PSP has become pretty handy for music, but I'm strongly considering getting an ipod due to portability issues. I'll either wait a year or get one of these.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']No offense, but I think most people would rather spend $125 more to get one with 4 times as much memory and brand new with a warrenty...Since they're already spending so much, $125 wouldn't seem like too much to quad the memory IMO.[/quote]
Not if they don't want to pay more money :p (And it's 10gb short of 3 times the memory, not 4 ;)).

They updated the software though; no search function like the new version, but it has the gapless playback and it's compatible with the games and movies, so I don't think I'll get a new one.

It's basically iPod Video Lite :p. Brighter screen and supposedly better battery life, the 20gb extension on the higher end model is the only big change since the lower end one didn't get an upgrade on its capacity like usual.

[quote name='kennistond']They also have iTunes 7 out incase anyone was wondering

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/[/quote]
Yeah, I installed it and it seems like a nice step up from 6. I like the organization better and the info screen for the ipod (where you can update the software and restore the ipod now). Not to mention you can now get album artwork with it.

the lower price is the best part. 10% off for students, right?

already have a 30 gig, but it'll be good to know these are out when my current one dies. yeah, I'm a sheep like that.

I can't wait 'til Microsoft's MP3 / Media Player comes out... then, maybe, these damn things will be cheaper.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']am a wrong at saying that Apple probably saw the potential of the XBL Arcade and did it with their own thing?[/QUOTE]

nah, they're just plugging things into their Itunes model at this point. music worked, shows worked, now they're seeing if games and movies will too.

Imo, it's a better bet that MS took a few notes from apple in aspects of the 360. From the sleek, modern, white design to microtransactions in the Marketplace.

[quote name='SpazX']Yeah, I installed it and it seems like a nice step up from 6. I like the organization better and the info screen for the ipod (where you can update the software and restore the ipod now). Not to mention you can now get album artwork with it.[/quote]

You mean it retrives it automatically? What if it's my own(non itunes) albums? Is the flipthrough feature really that great?

They could just call it a game system for crying out loud and sell it like a regular media device. What a waste of hardware.

The new shuffle is sexy :

indexsleeveguy20060912.jpg

The world’s smallest digital music player and just $79, the 1GB iPod shuffle lets you wear up to 240 songs(1) on your sleeve. Or your lapel. Or your belt. Clip on iPod shuffle and wear it as a badge of musical devotion.

[quote name='RegalSin2020']They could just call it a game system for crying out loud and sell it like a regular media device. What a waste of hardware.[/QUOTE]

what

I have been wanting an Ipod video, I will probably pick the 80gb one up soon. The better battery life is the main bonus.

I don't think I will hold out for the touch screen, plus I'm not so sure that's not just a rumor. From what I have seen, that may have just been a fan video, and I am not so sure the touch screen is practical on the Ipod. I don't think people are getting duped buying this version even if there is a touch screen on the way, it probably isn't practical yet.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']am a wrong at saying that Apple probably saw the potential of the XBL Arcade and did it with their own thing?[/QUOTE]
I think you're probably wrong, considering the "casual games" market has been growing for a few years now before the Marketplace really took off with the 360. I'd say the success of cell phone games had more to do with this. Though, actually, my personal thought is that Apple isn't a very reactionary company. They've known for a while where the iPod was headed since the thing first proved a success. There were rumors for a long time of the addition of video. They added music videos. Then TV shows. Then movies and games. Games were rumored for a long time, too. I imagine they're planning at least a year or so in advance, if not more.

[quote name='relentlessRolento']
am a wrong at saying that Apple probably saw the potential of the XBL Arcade and did it with their own thing?.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are, the first gen ipod came with games. All ipods have 4 games bulit in they have parachute, snake, and a knock off breakout. Some newer ones have soltarie. So the ipod has always had games. If you look on the net a few companies have offered game for the ipod for years now. The games on itunes are just that. The first time Apple themsleves have sold extra games for the ipod.

If anyone is wondering about M$ ipod killer its just that. it would kill an ipod if it landed on one. http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1993

[quote name='cochesecochese']You mean it retrives it automatically? What if it's my own(non itunes) albums? Is the flipthrough feature really that great?[/quote]

It's automatic, I already have art for all my stuff so I dunno how well it works and it's just a button in itunes so it only works on songs in your itunes library. The flipthrough feature looks nice, it's not really practical if you want to go through your music quickly, but it does look really nice...

[quote name='KingDox']I hope that Apple lets me update the firmware on my 5G ipod to have most of the features of these 5.5G ipods.[/QUOTE]

New firmware update is available through iTunes 7. You can upgrade your 5g iPod video so you can download purchased games on it. Not every day you get another portable gaming device for free. Sweet.

[quote name='TC']What is this iTV thing that was mentioned?[/quote]

Its a device that will connect to your TV and wirelessly stream music and video purchased from iTunes. Not sure if it streams directly from PC or iPod.

bread's done
Back