New kotor in the works from bioware

a_bleak_tomorrow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
This was posted on kotaku

During EA's analyst report earlier today, it was seemingly revealed that in addition to working on more Mass Effect, Dragon Age and a "New MMO", BioWare are also handling a new Knights of the Old Republic title. Which means that, if accurate, it's not their upcoming MMO. So, a new, straight-up RPG, then? Probably. If this is indeed correct (and we're checking with EA), your excitement glands can't possibly repel joy of this magnitude.

Sounds good to me I was so disappointed when i found out there were no light sabers in mass effect. I loved the first one, and liked the second one cant wait to see what they do with this new one hopefully it will be a mid 09 release i definitely dont see it coming out this year.

I'm very happy that Bioware is (apparently) making a single player KotOR. I was really worried that the KotOR series would be MMO only after the opened their Austin studio.

The report also shows that Pandemic is working on a LotR game, I really hope they are rebooting the Oblivion clone, I was really looking forward to it.

[quote name='coolsteel']As long as it isn't pawned off to another company to screw up like KOTOR II i'm all for it[/quote]
Yeah i definitely agree. I'm pretty sure that was a lucas arts decision not a bioware decision though for kotor 2

[quote name='a_bleak_tomorrow']Yeah i definitely agree. I'm pretty sure that was a lucas arts decision not a bioware decision though for kotor 2[/QUOTE]

That was actually Bioware, they were knee deep in developing Jade Empire and suggested someone else to do it

[quote name='coolsteel']As long as it isn't pawned off to another company and rushed the game for the holiday to screw up like KOTOR II i'm all for it[/QUOTE]

fixed

[quote name='ananag112']Please buy the Star Trek license EA and let Bioware turn it into an RPG like Mass Effect.[/QUOTE]
Yes please.

Two problems with this.

First, no matter what, they're going to have to go back to non-real time combat. The Mass Effect engine isn't really going to work with lightsabers.

Second, when exactly is BioWare planning on pumping out Mass Effect 2, Sonic RPG, a new KOTOR, AND that dragon game? Has BioWare suddenly expanded? From what I remember, they were generally a one game at a time sort of company, which is why KOTOR2 got farmed out. So, did the EA merger give them more people or what?

Anyway, admittedly, after KOTOR2, my interest in the series has waned, so as much as I know a BioWare made KOTOR3 will rock my socks, I find it tough to get excited, which I suppose is a good thing.

[quote name='007']Two problems with this.

First, no matter what, they're going to have to go back to non-real time combat. The Mass Effect engine isn't really going to work with lightsabers.

Second, when exactly is BioWare planning on pumping out Mass Effect 2, Sonic RPG, a new KOTOR, AND that dragon game? Has BioWare suddenly expanded? From what I remember, they were generally a one game at a time sort of company, which is why KOTOR2 got farmed out. So, did the EA merger give them more people or what?

Anyway, admittedly, after KOTOR2, my interest in the series has waned, so as much as I know a BioWare made KOTOR3 will rock my socks, I find it tough to get excited, which I suppose is a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Well the Sonic game should ne almost done, and Bioware got a new studio in Texas I think.

[quote name='62t']Well the Sonic game should ne almost done, and Bioware got a new studio in Texas I think.[/quote]
The studio in Texas is developing the MMO.

I believe that Bioware formed a new team to make portable games, so the main Bioware team(s?) aren't working on Sonic.

Dragon Age has been in development for a few years now, so hopefully they are almost done with it.

With the Mass Effect engine and many assests done I would imagine that they don't have nearly as many people working on Mass Effect 2 as they had working on Mass Effect 1.

[quote name='62t']fixed[/quote] Yeah, obsidian did great and would have made a stellar game if it wasn't pushed out the door.

It'sMagneto;3944030]Yeah said:
Very true. Obsidian did they best they could with the time they had. It's not their fault that LucasArts insisted that it be out by December 2004, giving them less then 2 years to develop the game.

[quote name='ananag112']Please buy the Star Trek license EA and let Bioware turn it into an RPG like Mass Effect. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Now that would be spectacular

Mass Effect already feels like a high budget version of Babylon 5. It would be amazing to see what Bioware could do with Star Trek, especially if they were given free reign by Paramount (which would never happen).

[quote name='Kaijufan']Very true. Obsidian did they best they could with the time they had. It's not their fault that LucasArts insisted that it be out by December 2004, giving them less then 2 years to develop the game.[/QUOTE]

Yes but was it not Obsidian who FINALLY gave a more balanced view of the Sith? If it wasn't for Darth Revan the Republic would've been DESTROYED in the Madalorian Wars thanks to the idiot Jedi Council's inaction.
Lucas should put out a more fair handed Star Wars movie depicting the Sith. I would also like to see a SW movie depicting the very first Sith's rise, explaining how they came to be.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Very true. Obsidian did they best they could with the time they had. It's not their fault that LucasArts insisted that it be out by December 2004, giving them less then 2 years to develop the game.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm naive, but why would they have needed more than two years to develop KOTOR 2? It uses the same engine as the original, and if nothing else, would have probably sold less if not released during the holidays.

EA CEO: "Johnson! Who were the guys that made that starwars game that sold so many copies?"

Johnson: "Uh I believe that was Bioware sir."

EA CEO: " Ok lets buy em out and get them to make 5 or 6 more of em on the double! HELL, we can get them to make half a game then sell the the other half in small installments! You know. like 10 bucks for a red lightsword or saber or whatever those stupid kids call em!"

Johnson: "Your a genius sir!"

EA CEO: "God damn rights I am! Now prepare my 3 o'clock money bath"

Johnson: "Rightaway sir!"
Seen that another site, I found it funny, thought some others might aswell.

[quote name='coolsteel']As long as it isn't pawned off to another company to screw up like KOTOR II i'm all for it[/QUOTE]

kotor 2 would have blown kotor 1 out of the water if not for all of the cut content

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cut_...nights_of_the_Old_Republic_II:_The_Sith_Lords

i am still pretty shocked that people are saying obsidian did a bad job on kotor 2. the things they had in the works, darth atris, the holocron quests, the hk-47 planet, the disciple vs atton fight, the handmaiden vs visas fight, hanharr sacrificing himself to save the exile???

how on earth can people say that obsidian messed up kotor 2? lucasarts messed up kotor 2 by rushing it to store shelves for the chrismas shopping season

[quote name='whitereflection']Maybe I'm naive, but why would they have needed more than two years to develop KOTOR 2? It uses the same engine as the original, and if nothing else, would have probably sold less if not released during the holidays.[/quote]
Dracula posted a list of all the cut content from KotOR 2. Not only that, but they revisited 2 planets, letting them reuse game assets.
Plus, the first KotOR was released in August, it's not like they needed to release it in December for it to sell well. Less then 2 years just isn't enough development time for a AAA game.

Exactly, it was certainly LucasArts fault with KOTOR, not Obsidian. Thank god someone is finally defending them.

On that note, though, it still doesn't change the fact that the game was a disappointment. I understand that the cut content sounded AMAZING, but if it's not in the game, it's irrelevant in any discussion that doesn't directly involve absolving Obsidian from total blame. If anything, the knowledge of what we should have gotten only makes it that much worse.

I actually stated in the Mass Effect thread a few weeks ago that Mass Effect for the most part feels like playing an episode of Star Trek. The only real difference is the universe, technology and the setup. I agree that a Star Trek themed Mass Effect game would be exactly what that franchise needs. And we could see something big happen when the new movie comes out with that license.

As far as this game, I really hope it's live action like Mass Effect rather than turn based. That would be badass.

[quote name='lordwow']I actually stated in the Mass Effect thread a few weeks ago that Mass Effect for the most part feels like playing an episode of Star Trek. The only real difference is the universe, technology and the setup. I agree that a Star Trek themed Mass Effect game would be exactly what that franchise needs. And we could see something big happen when the new movie comes out with that license.

As far as this game, I really hope it's live action like Mass Effect rather than turn based. That would be badass.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. The entire "putting the human race down" is what Enterprise was all about. A game set soon after the events of Enterprise would make a nice Star Trek game like Mass Effect IMO

I have KOTOR1 in front of me, havent played it yet, I might have to buckle down and try it out, after of course I beat Lost Odyssey(9/10 game easily)

[quote name='Poor2More']I have KOTOR1 in front of me, havent played it yet, I might have to buckle down and try it out, after of course I beat Lost Odyssey(9/10 game easily)[/QUOTE]

KOTOR1 is very solid, albeit perhaps a bit dated now.

so i have a question, was any of that cut content ever released? i'm sure they could have released a couple of patches and expansions for the PC and xbox.

and i'm stoked that bioware is doing the next KOTOR, and Obsidian didnt do a bad job it was just rushed so i agree with the others so dont hate on them...

[quote name='Poor2More']I have KOTOR1 in front of me, havent played it yet, I might have to buckle down and try it out, after of course I beat Lost Odyssey(9/10 game easily)[/QUOTE]
KOTOR is still an amazing game. Definitely play it soon.

I also agree that the second game was good up until the end. Up until the point it fell apart, I loved it. It's a damn shame they didn't get the time they needed to finish it.

[quote name='anarchyburger']so i have a question, was any of that cut content ever released? i'm sure they could have released a couple of patches and expansions for the PC and xbox.

and i'm stoked that bioware is doing the next KOTOR, and Obsidian didnt do a bad job it was just rushed so i agree with the others so dont hate on them...[/QUOTE]

According to the site with the list, there's a mod coming out for PC with most of the content re-added.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Dracula posted a list of all the cut content from KotOR 2. Not only that, but they revisited 2 planets, letting them reuse game assets.
Plus, the first KotOR was released in August, it's not like they needed to release it in December for it to sell wells. Less then 2 years just isn't enough development time for a AAA game.[/quote]Simply put, Kotor 2 was an embarrasingly incomplete product.

That aside, I played I & II again back in december, and it's a really clunky and slow rpg. When they first came out, I was into 'em. Now I wonder how they appealed to me in the first place.

New KotOR? Neat.

New KotOR by Bioware? NOW!

EDIT:
[quote name='007']Exactly, it was certainly LucasArts fault with KOTOR, not Obsidian. Thank god someone is finally defending them.

On that note, though, it still doesn't change the fact that the game was a disappointment. I understand that the cut content sounded AMAZING, but if it's not in the game, it's irrelevant in any discussion that doesn't directly involve absolving Obsidian from total blame. If anything, the knowledge of what we should have gotten only makes it that much worse.[/quote]
Would have been nice if they didn't keep referring to cut content every other fucking minute in the game. Cutscenes made no sense (my favourite being the one where
GOTO shot down Bao's Remote, then everyone acted like nothing happened - even the Remote was totally fine.
), quests led to nowhere, and the ending bit with Hanharr and Mira was a total fucking mess.

[quote name='The Crotch']New KotOR? Neat.

New KotOR by Bioware? NOW!

EDIT:

Would have been nice if they didn't keep referring to cut content every other fucking minute in the game. Cutscenes made no sense (my favourite being the one where
GOTO shot down Bao's Remote, then everyone acted like nothing happened - even the Remote was totally fine.
), quests led to nowhere, and the ending bit with Hanharr and Mira was a total fucking mess.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it would have been better if the game just ended after revisiting onderon. and yeah I was really really pissed that

GOTO shot down Bao's Remote, then everyone acted like nothing happened - even the Remote was totally fine. quests led to nowhere, and the ending bit with Hanharr and Mira was a total fucking mess. Also, they never explained how the handmaiden and kreia returned to telos after the jedi kill the exile. And if the ebon hawk crashed on malachor V, why is the exile the only one in the party, when apparently mira was OK, she just sort of appeared out of nowhere on the ground, where is everyone else? And there wasnt any HK 47 factory. and they never fully explained how sion and Nihilus raised an army, and what are all of those Nihilus slaves on his ship, are we supposed to rescue them? wtf. How is Nihilus even able to operate a starship with nobody on his bridge? there are so many plot holes, it makes me sick. just stop playing after returning to duxn and onderan
),

Also, too much fucking one-on-one fighting. The worst bit is how it's always the long-ranged characters who have to do the solo combat. The bit with wannabe-Carth Vs the dancers was alright since you could just hide behind the desk, but the big long bit with Mira was absolutely painful.

bread's done
Back