New Laptop Advice...

sassylaurie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
My daughter is graduating and going on to college. We are going to get her a laptop as part of her graduation present. Only looking to spend $400 or less. A few things I am looking for are:

15.6" screen - perfect size for a future editor/novelist
Full keyboard w/numpad
6 Cell Battery
USB 3.0 port
HDMI Out

I think I have narrowed it down to these 2 - but it doesn't need to be:
$369 after $100 MIR
http://www.frys.com/product/7088631#detailed
$360.99 on clearance in stock at a BB within reasonable distance:
http://stores.bestbuy.com/27/clearance/computers-tablets/laptop-netbook-computers/lenovo-156-laptop-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/1068B9U/4960855/#p

Both have i3-2350M Intel 2nd gen i3 processors, full numpad, 500gb HDD, 4gb Mem, Intel HD 300 gpu, HDMI out, 6 Cell battery, media card reader

Right now, I am thinking the Fujitsu has the edge because of the built in Bluetooth and doesn't need for an eSata to USB 3.0 adapter like the Lenovo. Then again, I don't have to mess with a MIR for the Lenovo.

Any input/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

MIRs are a hassle but in the end they're worth it. Out of the two you listed, they're pretty much identical. Laptops in that price range will usually come with the on-board graphics (in this case Intel HD 3000) and not an actual dedicated video card. Not sure if your daughter will need one for editing or not.

If I were you, I'd also look into Newegg.com and look around at their ~$400 price range laptops as they have a ton of Acer laptops (Acer parts are usually made from spare HP parts if I'm not mistaken) that are good quality and have what you are looking for.

Is her major going to be something like journalism or English then? If so, then you should be fine but bear in mind as someone just said she may need better graphics, depending on what she'll use it for. Out of those 2 though I'd go with the Fujitsu from Fry's. The Lenovo is already dated in regard to the USB ports, yes you could use the adapter, but best just to go with the newer model IMO if you are ending up paying the same price almost.

One thing you may make sure of though is that you can easily upgrade the ram & hard drive. In pretty much all laptops of that size it's almost never a problem, but if it's going to last her 4-5 years, depending on use, she may have to upgrade one of those eventually. Same goes for the battery.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Is her major going to be something like journalism or English then? If so, then you should be fine but bear in mind as someone just said she may need better graphics, depending on what she'll use it for. Out of those 2 though I'd go with the Fujitsu from Fry's. The Lenovo is already dated in regard to the USB ports, yes you could use the adapter, but best just to go with the newer model IMO if you are ending up paying the same price almost.

One thing you may make sure of though is that you can easily upgrade the ram & hard drive. In pretty much all laptops of that size it's almost never a problem, but if it's going to last her 4-5 years, depending on use, she may have to upgrade one of those eventually. Same goes for the battery.[/QUOTE]

Yes, as of now her major is American Lit, so the on-board graphics should be fine. She has been using a 10.1" Dell Netbook for the last couple of years and has never complained - so this is a major upgrade. I like the Intel HD 3000 because according to forums and benchmarks, she should be able to play some newer games, even if on lower settings, and most older games on mid-high settings.

As far as the HDD upgrade, that is some of my reasoning on the USB 3.0 ports. Expanding it with external storage if/when needed. Jump drives and ext. HDD's are becoming extremely cheap, so I think the 500gb internal is a good size, as opposed to the 320gb included with most laptops in this price range. In looking at the RAM, both laptops are expandable to at least 16gb.

I have been leaning toward the Fujitsu, but I hesitate for a couple of reasons. First, the MIR. Second, I don't live anywhere near a Fry's for any CS, and finally, I have never looked at a Fujitsu. It looks like they are quality builds, but I would like to see one in person.

bread's done
Back