New law requires fingerprints and multiple ID when selling games

Scrubking

CAGiversary!
Independent merchants selling and buying used CDs across the United States say they are alarmed by stepped-up pawn-broker-related laws recently enacted in Florida and Utah and pending in Rhode Island and Wisconsin.

In Florida, the new legislation requires all stores buying second-hand merchandise for resale to apply for a permit and file security in the form of a $10,000 bond with the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. In addition, stores would be required to thumb-print customers selling used CDs, and acquire a copy of state-issued identity documents such as a driver's license. Furthermore, stores could issue only store credit -- not cash -- in exchange for traded CDs, and would be required to hold discs for 30 days before reselling them.

Meanwhile, NARM says it will try to help shape the pending legislation. In Florida, retailers selling previously owned videos and videogames managed to carve out a partial exemption from the law so that they do not need a permit and have to wait only 15 days before reselling the merchandise.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN0448721120070505?feedType=RSS

Blah ~! ;) there goes my part time job of stealing CD's from unlocked cars and trading them for cash at stores to support my crack addiction... :drool:

THIS IS ASS.

I don't want the government snooping into my business and collecting my biometric data. If I want to sell CDs, I'm going to sell my goddamn CDs, dammit!!!

Why does the title say "games" when this seems to be about (music) CDs?

If these laws branched over to video games, Gamestop's business model would be severely crippled.

[quote name='yukine']Why does the title say "games" when this seems to be about (music) CDs?

If these laws branched over to video games, Gamestop's business model would be severely crippled.[/QUOTE]

Well there's one reason to root for it. I'm going to start making signs and going door to door immediately to get this enacted nationwide. ;)

[quote name='yukine']Why does the title say "games" when this seems to be about (music) CDs?

If these laws branched over to video games, Gamestop's business model would be severely crippled.[/QUOTE]

It does affect games and movies as well, though it seems to be mainly directed towards music cds.

All depends on the wording. If they say just CDs, then that could cover anything from PS1 to music to some PS2 games. If they say optical media, that'll cover everything but old cartridges.

Either way, the law is dumb as the point of a pawn shop is to get cash for shit you don't want anymore.

If these laws branched over to video games, Gamestop's business model would be severely crippled.[/quote]

bread's done
Back