New LCD TV? Questions/Comments inside

Broccoli Storm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
I'm in the market to get a flat-screen LCD TV for my bed room. I've decided that I want a 32-inch screen because anything bigger would be too big and anything smaller doesn't seem worth it. I will be using this TV for gaming A LOT, but will also be watching a significant amount of TV and movies on it. I would also like to be able to hook my computer up to it and use that as a monitor occasionally (my PC can't handle the greatest and latest games, so I don't think the 1080 is make-or-break here). The big issues I have are the following:

-Pricing: Want it to be less than $700. It can retail for anywhere up to $1,000 because I can most likely find it cheaper somewhere.

-1080 vs. 720: I've read that 1080 really isn't even noticeable at a smaller screen size like this. Can I just go for the 720? If I do get a 1080, I will not be able to get a Samsung/Sharp/Sony model because it would most likely be out of my price range, so please consider that.

-Aspect Ratios, Contrast Ratios, Pixel Response Time, etc: Do these things REALLY matter to someone who just wants a good picture, but isn't a picture quality Nazi?

When I went to Circuit City just to take a look at everything and have it in front of me, the associate threw out things about ghosting, calibration, etc. I know these things matter, but should I be nit-picking on all of these issues? I've seen tons of calibration threads on here, so I am leaning toward saying that I can adjust the TV to fit my liking better on my own rather than having someone set it up for me.

-I want the inputs to get the best picture I can with my 360. I don't think I have an HDMI output on my 360, but it wouldn't hurt to have it for the future. I also need a headphone jack.

-Buying from a store vs. reputable online retailer vs. E-bay/Craigslist: Obviously, as you go through those three options, they get cheaper and cheaper. I also hear that individual TVs vary even if they're the same model. Is saving on price and being able to get something like a Samsung LN32A450 but not being able to see it before I get it worth it, or is that too big of a risk?

Quality vs. Pricing: From the research I've done, I know what brands are supposedly better than others, but is a lower- or middle-tier TV THAT much worse? Compare something like a Vizio or LG with similar specs to a Samsung or Aquos: for someone who wants a good picture, but isn't really going to notice the smaller imperfections, is it worth the extra $100, $200 to get the top-of-the-line model or would I be happy settling with something more entry-level.

Also, for my 360 in particular and best hook ups to my Time Warner Cable Box, what cables will give me the best picture? My 360 is a launch one, so it doesn't have an HDMI output.

Finally, if I find a good deal online somewhere, should I buy it now, or should I just wait another month until Black Friday and hope that I can make out well there?

That's it (finally!). Please recommend me some specific models in both classes (the top-tier stuff, and then maybe some more entry level models) and if possible, let me know why you recommend them! Thanks!

-You should honestly do your own research as people's opinions will often conflict in debate on issues such as 1080 vs 720, whether or not it's worth it to wait until black Friday, and TV specs based on personal preference.
-But from personal experience you want something with high contrast ratio for better colors, low response time (a necessity for gaming), and 1080p if you are using the TV as a monitor occasionally.
-Waiting around for Black Friday is up to you if you want to spend hours waiting on line (most say that in highly populated areas you have to wait as early as before sunset the day before which is Thanksgiving for the door-buster deals on TVs that are few in stock).
-Whether or not you will notice the differences between the lower quality brands vs. the higher quality brands is all opinionated to the person viewing the TVs but I've noticed significant differences. People may often tell you that retail stores purposely mess with the calibrations of the TVs so the higher priced TVs will look better than the lower priced ones, so play around with the settings.
-As for HDMI ports, it's not really a matter of the HDTV actually having one, but the question is how many HDMI ports (as well as other inputs) doe it have?
-For your Cable box, HDMI/DVI works best, followed by component (green/red/blue), and then S-video I believe.

The HDTV that I bought was a 1080p Samsung ln32a550, because I wanted one of the best ones in the market at the time. I paid about 775 on EBAY for a brand new one which was the cheapest I could find at the time. There are a couple on Ebay currently which you can buy in conjunction with the 30% live cashback that microsoft is offering (totally legit and I've already recieved 3 of my cashback payments) for even further discount. I rarely use it as a computer monitor anymore but the extra resolution really does help even if I may not use it to the full extent with a ps3/blu-ray player, but if I were to get a blu-ray player in the future, I would be equipped with a capable HDTV.

[quote name='muhsheesuh']-You should honestly do your own research as people's opinions will often conflict in debate on issues such as 1080 vs 720, whether or not it's worth it to wait until black Friday, and TV specs based on personal preference.
-But from personal experience you want something with high contrast ratio for better colors, low response time (a necessity for gaming), and 1080p if you are using the TV as a monitor occasionally.
-Waiting around for Black Friday is up to you if you want to spend hours waiting on line (most say that in highly populated areas you have to wait as early as before sunset the day before which is Thanksgiving for the door-buster deals on TVs that are few in stock).
-Whether or not you will notice the differences between the lower quality brands vs. the higher quality brands is all opinionated to the person viewing the TVs but I've noticed significant differences. People may often tell you that retail stores purposely mess with the calibrations of the TVs so the higher priced TVs will look better than the lower priced ones, so play around with the settings.
-As for HDMI ports, it's not really a matter of the HDTV actually having one, but the question is how many HDMI ports (as well as other inputs) doe it have?
-For your Cable box, HDMI/DVI works best, followed by component (green/red/blue), and then S-video I believe.

The HDTV that I bought was a 1080p Samsung ln32a550, because I wanted one of the best ones in the market at the time. I paid about 775 on EBAY for a brand new one which was the cheapest I could find at the time. There are a couple on Ebay currently which you can buy in conjunction with the 30% live cashback that microsoft is offering (totally legit and I've already recieved 3 of my cashback payments) for even further discount. I rarely use it as a computer monitor anymore but the extra resolution really does help even if I may not use it to the full extent with a ps3/blu-ray player, but if I were to get a blu-ray player in the future, I would be equipped with a capable HDTV.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing out the 30% off! That'll be a great help in getting me a 1080p set! Any idea if this can be used in conjunction with a 10% off coupon I have from Ebay?

There is not going to be a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32" TV unless you're sitting right in front of the TV, which I imagine you would not be doing in the first place. The only advantage of 1080p in your case would be using the TV as a monitor, otherwise I would personally go with 720p given the size TV that you plan on purchasing.

If you can wait beyond black friday, you might see even better prices since last year retailers got into a bit of a HDTV price wars.

[quote name='Broccoli Storm']Thanks for pointing out the 30% off! That'll be a great help in getting me a 1080p set! Any idea if this can be used in conjunction with a 10% off coupon I have from Ebay?[/QUOTE]

Yes it can be used together.

bread's done
Back