New Mitch Hedberg CD releasing in a week

Strell

CAGiversary!
Feedback
288 (100%)
It's called "Do You Believe in Gosh?" and was recorded shortly before his death. Contains new material in a more free form delivery, with audience interaction and a lot of jokes he was still framing.

Cannot wait. Good things always happen on 9/9 and this is no exception.

Here's an Amazon page on it.

Remember: Ducks eat for free at Subway.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rabbitt']Funny guy, but I can't bring myself to purchase something from an artist that is dead.[/QUOTE]

Yeah! I think Mr Hedberg would want me to steal his CD so I don't have to pay those money-grubbing bastards who're making the profit off him! :cool:

*This post does not make certain that CheapAssGamer.com Forums member Moxio (forum # 5684) will actually pirate said CD. Pirating is against the law and against the rules of CheapAssGamer.com. Any post or comment suggesting that Moxio will pirate the CD is punishable by CheapAssGamer.com Forums moderators and subject to reporting or deletion.

[quote name='Moxio']Yeah! I think Mr Hedberg would want me to steal his CD so I don't have to pay those money-grubbing bastards who're making the profit off him! :cool:

*This post does not make certain that CheapAssGamer.com Forums member Moxio (forum # 5684) will actually pirate said CD. Pirating is against the law and against the rules of CheapAssGamer.com. Any post or comment suggesting that Moxio will pirate the CD is punishable by CheapAssGamer.com Forums moderators and subject to reporting or deletion.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say or suggest that those were my intentions.

This will disappoint Mitch All Together fans so much.

His normal performances were pretty sloppy and all over the place.

Me (as somebody with a few bootlegs and Strategic Grill Locations) will love it :D

[quote name='Sporadic']This will disappoint Mitch All Together fans so much.

His normal performances were pretty sloppy and all over the place.

Me (as somebody with a few bootlegs and Strategic Grill Locations) will love it :D[/QUOTE]

....Huh?

I don't follow that logic at all. More Mitch Hedberg is a good thing. I think I could put up with a track of him brushing his teeth.

I guess it's something about how previous CDs are more "structured" and this one supposedly isn't? Yeah? I dunno. Having seen him perform a few times, I think any fan of his knows what to expect.

[quote name='rabbitt']Funny guy, but I can't bring myself to purchase something from an artist that is dead.[/QUOTE]

This is just silly, given that your sig suggests you'll be buying something with a dead actor in it soon.

Let us utilize the power of the MindReader plugin I have on Firefox:

[quote name='dallow']Exactly Strell.

Just like I wouldn't mind a CDVD of Morrissey just bathing in the tub.
Listen to Watch the scrubbing![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Strell']....Huh?

I don't follow that logic at all. More Mitch Hedberg is a good thing. I think I could put up with a track of him brushing his teeth.

I guess it's something about how previous CDs are more "structured" and this one supposedly isn't? Yeah? I dunno. Having seen him perform a few times, I think any fan of his knows what to expect.[/QUOTE]

Alot of fans have only been exposed to Mitch All Together, which is edited and very fast paced/on.

Those people will buy this new album expecting more of the same but will end up disappointed because it (probably) won't be edited/fast paced.

Mitch live was much slower and sloppy than Mitch All Together.

I don't care because I love everything Mitch, but the poor saps who have only listened to/like Mitch All Together will ultimately be disappointed.

- edit http://hedburgh.com/media.shtml Go there, they have 9 Mitch bootlegs up.

Exactly how much sloppier is this supposed to be than Strategic Grill Locations? I think that was the perfect balance between slop/on point. Mitch All Together was too on point, don't disappoint me with something that's too sloppy.

This skit about the fire prevention frog always cracks me up. I wonder If Mitch will become the next Tupac and some more new material will be released in a few years.

[quote name='Sporadic']Alot of fans have only been exposed to Mitch All Together, which is edited and very fast paced/on.

Mitch live was much slower and sloppy than Mitch All Together.
[/quote]

Not quite.

Mitch always put on a drughead motif, and the general conclusion among fans is that the second CD is faster because his increased popularity put him into a position where he could score harder drugs. There's speculation that this is the reason he talks faster and is more jittery, as well as making a lot of little noises during his later sets.

There's a dramatic shift between his early years and his final ones that seem to go along with this theory. He moved away from - perhaps - only having access to "low grade" drugs (marijuana) and was able to score stuff like acid and cocaine. Since his death is pretty much considered to be an OD, it goes along with that too.

The editting of the CD doesn't have anything to do with it - it's that he changed his delivery because of drugs. He still sort of has the same mechanics and rhythms, but overall he's faster, with more staccato and generally a rushed urgency overcurrent presiding over his sets.

I imagine if I grab some of the bootlegs you've linked to, the early to later ones would reflect all of this. I have a good friend who knows more about Mitch's personal life than I know (he and I had seen him live a few times at the Laff Stop in Houston, which was Mitch's favorite club), and he's the one who told me all of this. And he has more insight on the underworld of drugs than I could ever have, and I've never known him to life or spread false rumors, so I'm siding with his research on the matter.

Having seen him perform twice there and once with Lewis Black during a Comedy Central tour, I noticed the differences over the years (probably 2-3 years of timeline here). When he was performing during the CC tour, he was notably faster and jostled around a lot on stage. Earlier performances were far, far more relaxed.

This isn't to sound hostile or condescending - it's really just a group of statements on the discussion.

I don't care because I love everything Mitch, but the poor saps who have only listened to/like Mitch All Together will ultimately be disappointed.

Unrelated topic: I guess this is the same sort of logic I use when I criticize how gamers who started RPGs with FFVII didn't really earn their stripes.

[quote name='Greetard']Exactly how much sloppier is this supposed to be than Strategic Grill Locations? I think that was the perfect balance between slop/on point. Mitch All Together was too on point, don't disappoint me with something that's too sloppy.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this - I like the more relaxed Mitch as well.

[quote name='thorbahn3']This skit about the fire prevention frog always cracks me up. I wonder If Mitch will become the next Tupac and some more new material will be released in a few years.[/QUOTE]

Only if there is a just diety governing this universe.

[quote name='Strell']Not quite.

Mitch always put on a drughead motif, and the general conclusion among fans is that the second CD is faster because his increased popularity put him into a position where he could score harder drugs. There's speculation that this is the reason he talks faster and is more jittery, as well as making a lot of little noises during his later sets.

There's a dramatic shift between his early years and his final ones that seem to go along with this theory. He moved away from - perhaps - only having access to "low grade" drugs (marijuana) and was able to score stuff like acid and cocaine. Since his death is pretty much considered to be an OD, it goes along with that too.

The editting of the CD doesn't have anything to do with it - it's that he changed his delivery because of drugs. He still sort of has the same mechanics and rhythms, but overall he's faster, with more staccato and generally a rushed urgency overcurrent presiding over his sets.

I imagine if I grab some of the bootlegs you've linked to, the early to later ones would reflect all of this. I have a good friend who knows more about Mitch's personal life than I know (he and I had seen him live a few times at the Laff Stop in Houston, which was Mitch's favorite club), and he's the one who told me all of this. And he has more insight on the underworld of drugs than I could ever have, and I've never known him to life or spread false rumors, so I'm siding with his research on the matter.

Having seen him perform twice there and once with Lewis Black during a Comedy Central tour, I noticed the differences over the years (probably 2-3 years of timeline here). When he was performing during the CC tour, he was notably faster and jostled around a lot on stage. Earlier performances were far, far more relaxed.

This isn't to sound hostile or condescending - it's really just a group of statements on the discussion.[/QUOTE]

It is in the editing of the CD. Just look at Lewis Black's The White Album. That album is spot on and nearly perfect but it doesn't reflect his style because they edited out all of the breaks/failed jokes (really go track down the EP Revolver, it has the unedited cut of Wisconsin that's 7 minutes instead of 3, almost ten minutes of outtakes and a two minute outro). One possible theory (besides the drugs issue) is that Mitch could have changed his style to try and match the editing of Mitch All Together.

He had money (and was doing hard drugs) before his first CD was released and he was severely fucked up during his final years. He almost lost his leg due to shooting up between his toes and continued shooting up after the doctors saved it, just in the other leg.

Check out this article EW wrote a fantastic article a few years ago about him

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1080613_2,00.html

In 1998, he made a glorious return to Montreal. His headlining set — a hilarious 10-minute ramble — left a theater of more than 2,000 people weeping with laughter, and as soon as the festival was over, he had a $500,000 sitcom deal with Fox. Mary and Arne Hedberg danced in their kitchen with joy when they heard the news. Hedberg just smiled his sheepish grin and cashed the check.

Nothing would ever come of the sitcom deal. It wasn't for lack of trying — it's just no one could find anything that would work on Fox for Hedberg. But now he had some serious money. That, and a new friend named Lynn Shawcroft. The two had been briefly introduced back in 1996 at the New Faces showcase. By the fall of 1998 they were close, and soon Mitch moved out of Johnson's apartment and into the Chelsea Hotel in Manhattan. ''We were together nine years,'' Johnson says. ''We tried, but that October we broke it off completely.''

Hedberg had fallen in love. Shawcroft was adoring and a little wild — the perfect match for his brilliant, insecure, and sweet temperament. They married a few months later. ''It happened in February of 1999. We found out in November,'' says Mary Hedberg. ''I found out in an e-mail from another friend. She said, 'Well, now that Mitch is married...' I was at my desk and tears, lots of tears, just came flying and I said, 'Married? Mitch is married?' He didn't want to tell us. They told us later that they didn't want us to be hurt for Jana.''

The new couple hit the road. Whereas Johnson had kept a job at home, Shawcroft was more than happy to live out of rental cars and airport terminals with her new husband. They started traveling and didn't stop. Watching horror movies in hotel rooms. Ordering chicken burritos. Doing shows and then swiftly sneaking out the door. Shawcroft's job was to have the exit route planned and the car already started by the time Hedberg finished his set. They fancied themselves American outlaws, comedy's answer to Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love. ''He was into that whole romantic rock & roll Jim Morrison/Kurt Cobain thing,'' says Johnson. ''It was who he was.''

The duo became famous for flaky behavior, stuff like deciding to drive cross-country to gigs on a whim and leaving a van at the Phoenix airport for seven months at $16 a day. (''By the time we got it out,'' she laughs, ''the bill cost more than the van.'') ''Mitch and Lynn were together all the time,'' says Hedberg's longtime manager, Dave Becky. ''They lived in their own little world.'' And that world included drugs.

No one is quite sure when Hedberg started seriously using heroin, but Shawcroft says he had tried the drug before they met. From the outside, it was hard to tell what was going on. Hedberg and Shawcroft's relationship was startlingly opaque — Mary Hedberg estimates she and Arne spent a total of 24 hours with the couple over their six years of marriage — and the stand-up scene is filled with high-functioning drug users. Against that backdrop, he was the picture of professionalism. Despite rumors of heavy drug use, Hedberg would arrive, perform, and leave audiences happy.

''Mitch was a live-and-let-live guy,'' says Becky. ''When we would talk about [the drug gossip] he would always say, 'I'm fine, man. I'm writing jokes. I'm selling tickets. My fans love me.' He never would say, 'I have a problem. I'm in trouble. I'm unhappy.' We always tried to get to the bottom of what he was doing and he kept saying 'I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm fine.'''

But the rumors were becoming too pervasive, too worrying. In the summer of 2002, Mary and Arne tracked down the couple in Texas and confronted him about substance abuse. The conversation did not go well. ''Lo and behold, they talked us out of it,'' says Arne, with a shake of the head. '''This is all just a big myth. Here's why and blah blah blah.' They teamed up on us. The truth is, they snookered us.''

Any pretense that the comedian was clean was shattered a year later. Hedberg had just wrapped up a series of shows at an Austin comedy club when he and Lynn were stopped at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. A federal officer opened up a red bag covered with white flowers that had Hedberg's name on it. Inside was a Red Bull can with three syringes and a smudge of heroin on the bottom. When the officer searched Hedberg's backpack he found a fistful of pills — Valium and Xanax, as it turned out — that the comedian said he'd gotten from someone downtown. (He later pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor drug charge.)

Hedberg spent two nights in jail, where a routine examination showed that an infection had been festering in his right leg for months. He was shipped to a county hospital, and while he was there, doctors told Shawcroft the leg was in alarmingly bad shape. Mary and Arne arranged to have Mitch transported to a Houston hospital, where surgeons operated for 13 hours. The leg was saved — though Hedberg would limp for the rest of his life. But after that nobody had any illusions that Hedberg was actually okay. In fact, everyone was scared to death. Everyone except Shawcroft. ''To me it was a relief,'' she says quietly. ''I mean, when he got arrested it was very scary. But it got us to stop working for a couple of months and almost back to health. For a while.''

Lynn Shawcroft sits in a hotel in Beverly Hills. The red paint on her nails is flaked and chewed. Her face is puffed and her eyes are hidden by dark sunglasses. Ripped jeans dangle over dirty sneakers. She looks a wreck.

''I'm scared,'' she says in a thin, watery voice. ''I don't know if I can do this.''

''Here's the thing you really need to know,'' says Kagan, who spent significant time with both Shawcroft and Hedberg. ''The story of Mitch Hedberg is a love story. A great love story.'' Today, Shawcroft just looks at her shoes and says, ''It is a love story. It is, it is, it is.''

The time since Hedberg's death has been tough on Shawcroft. There was the funeral. The endless condolence cards to answer. In fact, since her husband's passing, she has become extremely hard to reach, refusing interview requests and avoiding most friends' telephone calls. Now, as she opens up for the first time, it's clear that the little moments hurt the most. ''I opened one of his journals after he died,'' she says, ''and there was a line, 'Do you believe in Gosh?''' She grins. ''The f---er could write. I'd turn around and he'd have five new jokes.''

She starts shaking a bit as she remembers the end. ''We were going to Baltimore [that last night]]. We had been in New York for all these days, and we had kept jumping hotels.... It was the most confusing night of my life. I was in the bedroom, and then I went in the bathroom. And when I came out he didn't look right. So I grabbed him and tried to give him mouth-to-mouth and called 911.''

''It's so hard. How am I going to do this? He was beyond even a best friend. He loved monster movies.'' She looks up as if to say Betcha didn't know that. ''He did. He couldn't watch them on his own, though. He'd make me watch them with him.''

She stops, gulps air, and takes off her sunglasses. Her eyes are wet with tears.

Back in 2003, after he was released from the hospital, Hedberg fought his way back to performing, playing 54 cities around the country with Dave Attell and Lewis Black. He missed only one show on that tour, in Phoenix. He had gotten stuck in traffic.

But as the money grew better and better — a Comedy Central special and a CD had sent his price tag as high as $25,000 for a night's work — his health was getting worse and worse. It didn't help that he had been on the road for six years straight. There was never a vacation. He and Shawcroft rarely made it to their home in the mountains outside of L.A., and then it was just a quick stop to collect piles of mail. They traveled so much that Mitch laid out $84,000 for a motor home, the only way he could see to drive from gig to gig. ''He was working too hard,'' Shawcroft says. ''He partied hard, too, but I think everyone attributed everything to drugs without realizing that he was burning out as well. Now I look back and wish when we were in Texas I had just said, 'No more.' No more.''

His last tour — with singing comedian Stephen Lynch — was tough. For the first time in Hedberg's 19-year career, there were reports of bad shows, sets where he would show up obviously drunk or stoned and lie on his back in the middle of the stage and burble nonsense. ''That happened toward the end,'' says Clear Channel's Geof Wills, who booked his last two tours. ''Sometimes [he was] brilliant. Other times I thought, 'Hey, Mitch, that wasn't the greatest thing in the world.' He was clearly compromised.''

The final six shows at Carolines in March of this year were typical. About half of them were bad. Not awful. Just bad. Mitch would look at his notes and fret when the jokes didn't sing, or just speed through his set. The rest were phenomenal, though, glorious 60-minute blocks that left people crying into their two-drink minimums.

[quote name='Sporadic']It is in the editing of the CD. Just look at Lewis Black's The White Album. That album is spot on and nearly perfect but it doesn't reflect his style because they edited out all of the breaks/failed jokes (really go track down the EP Revolver, it has the unedited cut of Wisconsin that's 7 minutes instead of 3, almost ten minutes of outtakes and a two minute outro). [/quote]

I have the Revolver EP.

"Ladies...could you please shut the fuck up? I don't have the time, I don't have the time."

It's possible to say that Mitch changed his style to try and match the editing of Mitch All Together.

He changed his style because he was severely fucked up. He's moving ten times as fast on that CD than on Strategic Grill Locations, or on his original Comedy Central standup specials, or really anything before it. That's my point. I'll even go halfway and say maybe the editting is cutting out a lot of failed jokes and things (get the DVD on Mitch Altogether and watch the unedited CC Special - it's insane how much is cut out), but his delivery and rhythm is off the charts compared to his earlier years.

He had money (and was doing hard drugs) before his first CD was released and he was severely fucked up during his final years.

Yeah, but it screwed him up more as time went on, and more money = easier access.

(goes to read link)

[quote name='Strell']
This is just silly, given that your sig suggests you'll be buying something with a dead actor in it soon.[/QUOTE]

A wrong assumption, but I'll play ball.

In a movie, you have a large cast of people working on one result. The director, actors, make-up and costume designers all play a part in creating one piece of art.

With a comedian, the only person telling the jokes is that comedian. He or she may get inspiration from several sources, but there are far less people getting a slice of the pie when you buy a stand-up comedian's CD or DVD.

Movies and stand-up comedy are two completely different forms of entertainment. But I suppose if the entire cast of The Dark Knight were dead, you might have a point.

Oh, so it has to do with silly mechanics about who gets money where. My mistake. I thought you'd have a good reason.

[quote name='Strell']Oh, so it has to do with silly mechanics about who gets money where. My mistake. I thought you'd have a good reason.[/QUOTE]

I care about where my money goes. Why is that absurd to you?

Would you donate to an organization that gives 90% of the funds to starving children, as opposed to 100%?

That's a "cross the bridge when I get to it" situation, and really doesn't compare nicely here since there's an added layer of humanitarianism at play.

I guess I shouldn't sound so harsh, since you actually have a reason, which is more than I can say for most people when they decide for or against something. So yeah, I can champion that.

I just fail to see how in the entertainment industry - with things solely built for entertainment and not any other motives - really meshes up here. There's at least a group of people working on this CD to make sure it gets released, that the operation goes smoothly, and then that the appropriate parties get their take of the pie. The fact that Mitch is dead alters that proliferation, but not in such a radical way that it suddenly negates any reason to sell it.

All the money dumped into the entertainment medium tends to go to a small group of people anyway, and most of the time that small group of people had precisely bunk to do with the product to begin with. They were just steamrollin' the thing from the get-go, and are greedily awaiting their cuts the second the cash starts to pour in. Doesn't really matter what band you like, for example - it's going to the record companies, and all those bastards are sitting in hot tubs filled with champagne right now, and not giving two shits about who is generating what where from.

So that's why it comes off as silly to me, since it seems little removed from all the classic arguments where someone asks me "Don't you care about X?" when X isn't better served no matter what I do.

In the end it doesn't matter. This is more Mitch Hedberg, and I'm more than overjoyed on that premise alone.

I just finished listening to the CD and I gotta say that I really enjoyed it. This is fresh Hedberg material with a few old jokes here and there. It's a good fix, but it made me miss him a whole lot more. Thanks for the laughs Mitch.

Just picked this up from Best Buy. Will most likely conclude my bday listening to it tonight.

Just as God intended.

I was pretty shocked to see this on the release lists.

Will definitely pick it up and give it a listen, in memory of this great comedy hero.
emot911dj1.gif

I hope Mitch will continue this 2Pac, Aaliyah, Biggie Smalls, (insert dead rap artist here) trend of releasing postmortem albums. He should tell George Carlin to do the same.

Listened to it tonight...not the funniest stuff he has ever done but still enjoyed it a lot. When he thanked the crowd and stepped off stage I swore only 20 minutes had gone by....wish it was longer.

The funniest thing he's ever done (IMO) was when I went to see him in the summer of 2001 at the Houston Laugh/Laff Spot/Stop whatever...he went on for forever about a bleach bottle the club manager gave him to drink orange juice out of...i almost passed out from laughing too hard

bread's done
Back