New Monthly $5 Dollar Cert for Power Up Rewards Pro

Fatbot3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Please delete if this is irrelevant but I was at GameStop today picking up my Pokemon Switch Lite and learned a $15 Power Up membership now comes with a monthly 5 dollar cert that works on anything in the store. The cert expires monthly and while the manager in the store said it was live ( I got a 5 dollar cert for signing up immediately) I saw on the site it doesn't start until Jan 2020. $60 for $15 seems like a desent deal though with just a few limitations. Here's the details for those interested.

https://www.gamestop.com/poweruprewards/

I signed up for Pro on the 11th this month. Last week I called customer service about not getting my monthly $5.00 certificate yet. They told me it should arrive by next week; if not call back. I called today after still not getting it, and they added 5000 rewards points to my account.

I was able to use my $10 cert the other day. But like everyone else I know, I'm pretty done with GS since I can't use my 20% used games anymore. Was the only reason I was going in there anyways. I also heard that GS will be going down by the end of the year so if you have any pre-orders or giftcards to use them up before it's too late.

I'm just waiting for 2/1 to roll around and still not get one of these coupons. At that point I can raise hell for both months and get some inconvenience tax. ;)

I finally got one of these certificates. February’s certificate was emailed to me an hour ago and it’s in active offers now.

Went to use my Jan coupon yesterday and it was gone from my active offers in app. Oddly my Feb one was there. I was like wtf... I do not get a full month to use these?

With this being a leap year and Gamestop IT being what it is... bet we will get another coupon on the 29th..... and then one more on March 1st!   :razz:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I also couldn't use my coupon on PSN credit, both card and print out receipt

Lol this new program is literally a waste of time and money.

So can you use on a 10 dollar PSN card?
I'ved used both my sign up $5 and the Jan $5 coupons on PSN cards. They have to be the physical version though, as the code printout on receipt version doesn't work for some reason.

EDIT: I see other people are saying that even physical doesn't work for them. The physical card I bought with my Jan coupon was before the Jan 16th changeover. Perhaps that's why (i.e. they patched it out)? Haven't tried the Feb one yet.

Went to use my Jan coupon yesterday and it was gone from my active offers in app. Oddly my Feb one was there. I was like wtf... I do not get a full month to use these?
PUR coupons are well known for disappearing early from your active offers. You shouldn't wait until the last minute to use them. That probably doesn't help you now, sorry.

One one hand not working on PSN credit really sucks. I was planning on getting some PSN credit for 50% off. On the other hand, I'm already going to make the $15 back on three purchases I was sure to make. The new Pro might not be that good, but I never subscribed to it in the past. It's working out decent enough for me and my Gamestop purchase habits.

As long as it doesn't sucker me into buying $20+ items I wouldn't have bought otherwise. It would be alright getting $10 items for 50% off, but I might just use the coupons on random $5.00 crap. It'll pretty much turn into a loot box service.

For reference, I tried with a physical card (for PSN and eShop) last night with no luck. It might be an issue unique to my area.

It didn’t work yesterday when I tried with my January coupon, so the store just gave me a $5 “promo not found” discount because they thought it was supposed to work. Haven’t tried with February’s yet.
Lucky. This is what my store should have done.
I just ended up getting Samurai Shodown.

I finally got one this month, but when I went in to use it, the associate couldn't find it in their system. Their computer came up saying I didn't have any active offers, but when I get home it's still listed on my account on the website (I didn't have a phone there to check with). Anybody else have an issue like this?

If it was like my store which I just came back from, their system is down today. You have to show the coupon on a phone so they can scan it when that happens.

Shocked I actually got the coupon, not gonna lie. I tried using it online but not sure how... is it not possible to use it online? 

Shocked I actually got the coupon, not gonna lie. I tried using it online but not sure how... is it not possible to use it online?
In-store only

Finally got this months, but does it work for PSN credit? I'm seeing yes and no here from people. Don't want to waste my time and gas going if I'm going to be denied.

Finally got one of these damn things. Plan to use mine tomorrow on PSN credit to pay for spotify. If it doesn't work, I'll ask if they can manually because it's time something started working right from them. :shame:

FYI - Just stacked the monthly $5 rewards offer and a 5,000 point $5 certificate toward a physical $10 Nintendo eShop card. Rensselaer, NY. Love a $0 total.

I'm shocked that GameStop is giving everyone with this membership a certificate that can be used on digital goods.  All of those purchases are a net loss for them as there isn't much (if any) room for them to make money on digital goods.  Maybe they are doing it out of good will?  More likely a mess-up on someones part.

I'm shocked that GameStop is giving everyone with this membership a certificate that can be used on digital goods. All of those purchases are a net loss for them as there isn't much (if any) room for them to make money on digital goods. Maybe they are doing it out of good will? More likely a mess-up on someones part.
Given how many individual stores and their managers have promoted it and how they deliberately went out of their way to fix the coupons so they would work with digital currency, it seems entirely intentional. I think they see it as a loss-leader in order to get people physically in the store at least 12 times a year (where they'll probably buy other stuff with much comfier profit margins). They're also probably banking on people forgetting/not bothering at times throughout the year. It's not like the membership is free either (unless you have tons of points like some of us), and they stripped away some of the perks (no used discount, no physical Game Informer).

Why can’t we buy anything with the $5, it’s not like the subscription is free. Come on GameStop

Given how many individual stores and their managers have promoted it and how they deliberately went out of their way to fix the coupons so they would work with digital currency, it seems entirely intentional. I think they see it as a loss-leader in order to get people physically in the store at least 12 times a year (where they'll probably buy other stuff with much comfier profit margins). They're also probably banking on people forgetting/not bothering at times throughout the year. It's not like the membership is free either (unless you have tons of points like some of us), and they stripped away some of the perks (no used discount, no physical Game Informer).
This. They just want traffic. They're in a such a tailspin they need bodies through the door to see if they can impulse sell all the Think Geek junk they carry these days. If they can find the right mix of customer for that stuff they won't have shutter half the stores but imo it's unlikely.

My Pro ends this week and I got the $5 anyway, which is nice considering I didnt get January. However regarding renewing- it would probably be better to wait until March 1? Provided they still have the $5 sign up bonus. 

Seeing as how I already got my monthly reward, extending it now kind of gets me nothing?

Only reason for you to re-up now is if you plan to do enough trading in the next few weeks to offset the cost of PUR.

And I'll keep the illusion going for them since I traded in a couple games yesterday (which I was going to do anyways since trade values are high) and gave them a pre-order for the trade bonus (which of course will just be canceled later, but hey). Otherwise it'll just be trips like usual for the odd exclusive funko pop (Death Watch Mandalorian recently) and now PSN credit for half off to pay for spotify. I'm their worst kind of customer because conventional advertising and loss leaders don't work on me.

Does anyone know if this can be used on eshop cards? When I used mine a week ago I was told there's no answer and do not know, maybe they would have an answer in a month.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if this can be used on eshop cards? When I used mine a week ago I was told there's no answer and do not know, maybe they would have an answer in a month.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I put my free $5 towards an Xbox gift card with no issues today. Based on that and reports from others, I wouldn’t expect there to be an issue with eShop cards.

Sent from my SM-G975U using TapataI
I used mine on an eshop card this weekend so the system definitely allows it now, compared to last month where it only worked on PSN for me.

bread's done
Back