New Mortal Kombat Tournament/Kollector's Edition @ Gamestop $99.99/$149.99 360/PS3

TheNeck

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Pre-order only, not out till April 26, 2011 according to Amazon.

Kollector's Edition Info
-Kollectible figurines of Scorpion and Sub-Zero that double up as video game ‘bookends’ for your favorite Mortal Kombat games.
-A 110+ page book featuring original concept sketches and game art from the 2011 version of Mortal Kombat.

Tournament Edition Info
-Mortal Kombat Fight Stick (More information about the joystick, thanks wargamer.)
-High quality, authentic Suzo Happ arcade parts for the ultimate in performance
-Features the classic Mortal Kombat ergonomic button layout to best optimize game play.
-Flip open lid for easy arcade part customization access and storage.

360 Kollector's Editon $99.99
PS3 Kollector's Edition $99.99

360 Tournament Edition
$149.99
PS3 Tournament Edition $149.99

Amazon PS3 Tournament Edition $149.99
Amazon 360 Tournament Edition $149.99
(thanks bojay1997 for the link to amazon)

I can't decide which one to pre-order. :whistle2:(

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jackie Chandler']That is the fucking ugliest button layout I've ever seen in my entire life.[/QUOTE]

You obviously never played MK3 or UMK3 in the arcade. This is the button layout that all MK enthusiasts have yearned to have at home for a long time, but no joystick has ever been close.

If you want that 2 rows of 3 buttons BS go play street fighter, where block is simply holding back. MK has the block button in the middle, surrounded by two upper buttons (High punch, High Kick) and two lower buttons (Low punch, Low Kick), and finally the Run button in the bottom left which was ergonomically placed for your left thumb. I hope that explains the configuration. I have a SF Tournament controller with the Joystick-mod rather than the Gum-ball crap it came with, and I think I'm still going to get this one.

I'm just hoping that the stick will be at least the quality of the sf te sticks or at least a good hrap stick and not the tekken 6 collectors stick out of the box. Mind you the tekken stick though wireless needed lots of modding to bring it to competition quality. I just don't want to spend $150 plus $50+ for additional parts. Love the layout though.

[quote name='Draknight']I'm just hoping that the stick will be at least the quality of the sf te sticks or at least a good hrap stick and not the tekken 6 collectors stick out of the box. Mind you the tekken stick though wireless needed lots of modding to bring it to competition quality. I just don't want to spend $150 plus $50+ for additional parts. Love the layout though.[/QUOTE]

I dont have much experience with the tekken stick, but HAPP used to be good stuff..Did the tekken stick have HAPP parts?

[quote name='TheToE']I dont have much experience with the tekken stick, but HAPP used to be good stuff..Did the tekken stick have HAPP parts?[/QUOTE]

Hori parts.

The layout of this stick while fitting for MK looks completely impractical for everything else. Otherwise I'd jump right on this bundle.

[quote name='Thrinn']Had you made this argument a couple of years ago before SF4's whole philosophy of "fighting games have gotten too complicated" then it would have held true a bit more. Sometimes people just want to sit down and have fun without having to over think things like frame data and just-frames while they play. MK's simplicity can be a strong selling point.[/QUOTE]

i play street fighter casually and don't know much about reading frame data and timing, but i hope to one day learn how to read and utilize frame data to get better.

there are many things that make street fighter great and a perfect tournament type game. takes years to build up the skills and is challenging. you need perfect timing and execution, ability to read and bait other players, and good strategies but doesn't get boring. (kind of like chess, golf, or starcraft).

[quote name='KaneRobot']Actually, it's:

-Pissed off & bitter Capcom slappies that can't stand it when another fighting game gets attention.

It's cute that you think stuff like Smash Bros, Smackdown, and Fight Night will have anything to do with how this game sells. Way to pad a list.

[/QUOTE]

i agree that mortal kombat has not stuck to tradition and maybe added too many changes, but i can't agree with that poster that mortal kombat has been "hot garbage" for years since i never really played enough of da, deception, or Armageddon to give it a chance and officially qualify it as such.

i saw the list of games like super smash bros smackdown, fight night, and ufc and thought wtf. those aren't even fighting games. brawl is more of a party game, fight night is boxing, and ufc is cage fighting/mma kick boxing.

and other games like tekken, soul caliber, blaze blue, guilty gear, etc have never been as popular as mk back in the day or now, so why are they even considered now when mk is returning back to its roots. mk has always been a close 2nd compared to street fighter back in the arcade days. i have faith this mk will deliver.

[quote name='technics1200']I have a SF Tournament controller with the Joystick-mod rather than the Gum-ball crap it came with, and I think I'm still going to get this one.[/QUOTE]

i like the look and feel of the american style joysticks better too, but a lot of people swear by the sanwa. i'll have to give both a try and develop a new way to hold and use a joystick. the ball and stick just feels awkward in my hands (no homo), unless i can find another way i like to hold and use a joystick.

[quote name='Draknight']I just don't want to spend $150 plus $50+ for additional parts. Love the layout though.[/QUOTE]

i have a few te sticks and still planning to spend money for additional parts (octogate, dual mod) on top of the $150 for those sticks. i don't think there is a perfect stick from factory. you will end up modding it to perfect it for yourself, unless you don't care how it is stock.

Preordered the Tourney Edition for the stick. Glad it looks to be of good quality and the correct layout, didn't want to have to re-adjust playing MK on my vlx. Just hope the build is sturdy!

I am very familiar with the button layout since my friend owns a MK arcade machine, but I've never gotten a handle of the block button. I would have put two repeated block buttons that line up with high and low. I argue that it's not ergonomic to play it as it is, but I recognize millions of players have gotten use to the control mechanics.

Just to ask again as I have not seen an answere is the Tournament Edition GameStop only or will Amazon get it also? I see now that Amazon.com has the KE listed.

[quote name='frpilot']and other games like tekken, soul caliber, blaze blue, guilty gear, etc have never been as popular as mk back in the day or now, so why are they even considered now when mk is returning back to its roots.[/QUOTE]

Hate to break it to you, but last I checked the fighting game scene/community for Guilty Gear and BlazBlue both beat the hell out of anything MK has had for the past. . . decade I'd say? =P

Not to bash on MK. I enjoy it, and am excited as all hell for this new release. Sure back in the day MK had a lot of popularity going for it (i'd say this peaked about the time of UMK3 or Trilogy, personally). One could even argue that the amount of popularity it had back then would rival that of Gear or BlazBlue nowadays. But there is no way that in the past however many years that MK has had even half of the active scene and fans as the games mentioned in the quote tags here. Even putting aside my nature as an Arc System Works fanboy, it takes 5 minutes on any fighter-centric forums or community site to see this. Hell. I regularly see Tekken 6 at fighter meetups. Same for Gear and BlazBlue. Honestly? I don't remember the last time I saw anything even related to MK at such a meetup or tourney.

Anyway, as said above. Looking forward to this pack. $60 for the game means $90 for the stick and other collector's goodies. All things considered, that stick looks pretty good quality and craftsmanship wise. Since Amazon apparently will have this preorder, may have to get an MK stick and Reptile skin afterall. :D

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Hate to break it to you, but last I checked the fighting game scene/community for Guilty Gear and BlazBlue both beat the hell out of anything MK has had for the past. . . decade I'd say? =P

Not to bash on MK. I enjoy it, and am excited as all hell for this new release. Sure back in the day MK had a lot of popularity going for it (i'd say this peaked about the time of UMK3 or Trilogy, personally). One could even argue that the amount of popularity it had back then would rival that of Gear or BlazBlue nowadays. But there is no way that in the past however many years that MK has had even half of the active scene and fans as the games mentioned in the quote tags here.[/QUOTE]

maybe i shouldn't compared mk to anything in the present because anything that is played moderately now would beat out a nonexistent mk community right now. (i agree with you. practically no one is playing da, deception, Armageddon, mk vs dc. pretty much anything released in the mk series in the last 10+ years after umk3 has become irrelevant)

but are you serious there is actually a big community for guity gear and blazblue? i thought there is only a handful of people playing those two games. (by handful, i mean as many people who are playing games like ssf2thd, tekken, mvc2, capcom vs snk 2, etc). i still see games like tekken 6, mvc2, guilty gear, cvsnk2, and ssf2thd remix at tournaments, but those tournaments are usually only a smaller group of players and end quickly. the main feature is almost always ssf4.

it's hard for me to believe guilty gear and blazblue have such a big following to rival the amount of people playing mk3 in the past, since back then i recall everyone either played sf AND mk (not OR). Maybe a slightly more people playing sf, but not that many more.

[quote name='frpilot']maybe i shouldn't compared mk to anything in the present because anything that is played moderately now would beat out a nonexistent mk community right now. (i agree with you. practically no one is playing da, deception, Armageddon, mk vs dc. pretty much anything released in the mk series in the last 10+ years after umk3 has become irrelevant)

but are you serious there is actually a big community for guity gear and blazblue? i thought there is only a handful of people playing those two games. (by handful, i mean as many people who are playing games like ssf2thd, tekken, mvc2, capcom vs snk 2, etc). i still see games like tekken 6, mvc2, guilty gear, cvsnk2, and ssf2thd remix at tournaments, but those tournaments are usually only a smaller group of players and end quickly. the main feature is almost always ssf4.

it's hard for me to believe guilty gear and blazblue have such a big following to rival the amount of people playing mk3 in the past, since back then i recall everyone either played sf AND mk (not OR). Maybe a slightly more people playing sf, but not that many more.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I was but a young twerp when MK3 was out and new, so it's hard to gauge and compare to back then. (Hence me saying you could easily argue for prior MK3) Gear isn't doing nearly as well as it used to, since once BlazBlue came out the majority of people saw it as a 'better' and shinier Guilty Gear. You still find pockets of hardcore kiddies who love Gear for it's sheer amount of complexity and skill requirements. (I'm often enough counted in said pockets :p )

That said though, BlazBlue seems to be pretty big at least at the moment. In my opinion and off of my observations, it's going stronger than MvC2, CvS2, SSF2THDR, to use a few of your examples. SF4 still beats it out for raw popularity but I think this is due in large part to capcom marketing and constantly hyping their game up to the crowds. (Take for example the SSF4 launch party crowd)

Now that all said, it does seem like new MK is going to do real well too. Fighters have seen a big revitalization (due to SF4 and BlazBlue both imo, though Tekken 6 has probably helped too) and you have a lot of peeps who loved MK back when pretty excited for what looks to be the first good MK game in a while. I don't think it'll beat out SF4 and the SF4 fightsticks due to Capcom marketing, but I think anyone saying it's going to fail or fall on it's face is grossly underestimating the anticipation people have going here.

[quote name='Zero Kyori']I think the fact that Melty Blood took over Blazblue's spot at EVO says alot about the game.[/QUOTE]
Last I checked that was only for the year between Calamity Trigger and Continuum Shift, which makes complete sense. A lot of the BB crowd was not participating only because half of their combos and character stats were up in the air. With Continuum Shift out now (and CS2 around the corner, but no flat out -new- blazblue) BB seems to have gotten back into it's stride. I'd be rather surprised if Melty Blood continues to keep the spot it "took over" from BlazBlue.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Honestly, I was but a young twerp when MK3 was out and new, so it's hard to gauge and compare to back then. (Hence me saying you could easily argue for prior MK3)...

That said though, BlazBlue seems to be pretty big at least at the moment. In my opinion and off of my observations, it's going stronger than MvC2, CvS2, SSF2THDR, to use a few of your examples. SF4 still beats it out for raw popularity but I think this is due in large part to capcom marketing and constantly hyping their game up to the crowds. (Take for example the SSF4 launch party crowd)
[/QUOTE]

sigh... i guess i am just becoming an old man. i was young too when mk first came out. i remember mk3 at the arcades and i was probably about in 4th or 5th grade. i remember when i was in first or second grade, and swapping techniques and how to do sf2 "special moves" with some other kids.

i heard that gear has intense graphics for a 2d fighter, but didn't have the patience or time to learn another fighter and blazblue is practically better and newer. i would expect bb to have a more and newer following than those old games like mvc2, cvs2, ssf2t or ssf2thdr.

this mk does get me hyped up since it will pretty much be an updated mk1-mk3. sf4 is pretty much an updated sf2, and look how well that did. i wish they added more characters though, but i guess that (more characters, more fighting styles, more weapons, etc) was what the mk developers did to get into this mess anyways. it eventually steered away from the tried and true successful formula of mk1 - mk3 and the later mk's became something else. i mean.. come on.. 64+ characters in armegeddon, who has the time to learn all those characters, combos, and counters to other characters.

oh and what the hell is melty blood. (don't answer this... ill just wiki it)

Blazblue is hugely popular? When did that happen? Ive been on the competitive fighting scene for years and BB is far from "big at the moment". its a good game but the scene is relatively small as a whole.

[quote name='BargainGamer']These are pretty interesting editions but not a good deal for me at all, I just remember the SF4 Tournament sticks so damn expensive and overhyped.[/QUOTE]

Overhyped? The sanwa stick is the best stick ever made! Worth every penny if you love fighting games. ;)

[quote name='gmsick']Blazblue is hugely popular? When did that happen? Ive been on the competitive fighting scene for years and BB is far from "big at the moment". its a good game but the scene is relatively small as a whole.[/QUOTE]

this is what i thought...

[quote name='n1c0']Hori parts.

The layout of this stick while fitting for MK looks completely impractical for everything else. Otherwise I'd jump right on this bundle.[/QUOTE]

Best point i read so far.

All i own is a SESF4 stick unmodded :( need me some sanwa buttons and stick

[quote name='bojay1997']Amazon has the TE listed:

http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Tournament-Xbox-360/dp/B004GD3NAQ/[/QUOTE]

Must have been posted some time today. I wonder if reptile will be with it also. Would love to get all 3 of them so I hope they come out as DLC later on. Might get this on both the PS3 and 360. Anyone know if the 360 will have a character that is only for it like Kratos on the PS3 version.

[quote name='FactionG']It'll be awesome if they throw in easter eggs. I for one want the MK II's million kung lao babies glitch back.[/QUOTE]

Don't remember that one but I remember playing MK II at a friends house when I was a kid and some how we always got another round to fight Shao Kahn. At the end he would start to have the smoke pattern like Smoke did. We couldn't beat him at all and he wouldn't even move. I also remember Raiden's Fergality. Maybe they will have some stuff hidden in it.

[quote name='gmsick']Blazblue is hugely popular? When did that happen? Ive been on the competitive fighting scene for years and BB is far from "big at the moment". its a good game but the scene is relatively small as a whole.[/QUOTE]

Not sure where you got the "hugely popular" from. Understand that when I use the term "big at the moment" I would describe SF4 as "effing huge" or something other adjective matching with much more than "big at the moment". As I already said, SF4 has beat it out by far due to massive marketing on Capcom's part (not to mention a big existing SF fanbase). My point was that it was by and far bigger than anything MK has at the moment, as well as more of a scene than the other mentioned non-SF4 titles as far as I've seen. (Talking about CvS2, MvC2, and SSF2T by my own observations) Last Seattle event I went to it had a pretty good showing (about tied with Tekken 6) soon after the japanese arcade release of CS; I can only imagine the console release stateside strengthening those numbers. In addition to that, could just be sites that I frequent, but online it seems to have just as much if not more of a fanbase than any other 'smaller' fighter. As for online play, I've never noticed any shortage of opponents when playing on LIVE.

As for offline, could just be location. Granted I haven't gone to every event hosted in the state, but as far as Oregon goes BB seems to show up and have a decently sized crowd at any gaming events I've gone to. Is it taking the fighting world by storm? Not particularly. Does it match SF4? Naw, and maybe I am just completely unaware of underground MvC2 or CvS2 scenes. As far as I can tell though it's been doing a pretty good job making a userbase for itself both online and off. (In the Pacific Northwest, anyway)

I am confused read back a few pages why is there arguing that MK doesn't sell? MK vs DCU sold very well considering (1.9 Million units sold according to midway bankruptcy docs) and the fact remains that MK does sell very well in the US.

Its not deep like some games (SFIV, Tekken, etc) but for the non-hardcore fan its a blast to be able to rip someone in half and it still sells.

[quote name='joshnorm']I am confused read back a few pages why is there arguing that MK doesn't sell? MK vs DCU sold very well considering (1.9 Million units sold according to midway bankruptcy docs) and the fact remains that MK does sell very well in the US.

Its not deep like some games (SFIV, Tekken, etc) but for the non-hardcore fan its a blast to be able to rip someone in half and it still sells.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is arguing MK doesn't sell and most of us really like the MK series and will be buying this game. The discussion was whether or not we should jump in on a $150 stick bundle with a stick optimized for one specific game. The general consensus seems to be that these stick bundles will drop in price and not sell out, so there is no point in pre-ordering.

I don't see a lot of people buying the TE but I don't think MK will have a problem with sales overall. It will bring in a lot more casuals who would never touch SF4, BB or T6.

[quote name='bojay1997']I don't think anyone is arguing MK doesn't sell and most of us really like the MK series and will be buying this game. The discussion was whether or not we should jump in on a $150 stick bundle with a stick optimized for one specific game. The general consensus seems to be that these stick bundles will drop in price and not sell out, so there is no point in pre-ordering.[/QUOTE]

Oh well that makes more sense. I though it was MK not selling, carry on everyone dont mind me :whistle2:\"

I love this thread. It takes me back to elementary school when some of us would like mortal kombat and others would like street fighter. I am almost thirty and threads like this make me feel young again. (i know 30 isn't old, but when i have a job, a mortgage, and 2 kids...any little bit helps)

please, please continue.

I look forward to my arcade stick...told the wife it was like my DK Bongos or my rock band drums. This is a fancy accessory for one game...maybe more if they ever re-release 1-trilogy on disc. After trilogy, they moved away from this layout.

I probably go to more competitions/tournaments than most... but whenever there is a BlazBlue event, there are a ton of entrants (not comparing it to SF4).

At Season's Beatings 5, BlazBlue had well over 100+ entrants. The second highest entered game at the event.

[quote name='MarkMan']I probably go to more competitions/tournaments than most... but whenever there is a BlazBlue event, there are a ton of entrants (not comparing it to SF4).

[/QUOTE]
You're so lucky you get to be in the presence of diago so many times.

I don't see the stick going down in price as fast or as much as some seem to think. I see it maybe hitting 80 around black friday or on amazon's dotd. I did however just put a preorder down at gamestop on the PS3 version.

To bad I wont see posters all round town that have "It has begun" and the logo on them. I remember back when the first one came out all that was on tv was some kid yelling it and posters at just about every place I went to. Didn't know what it was for till I saw it in GamePro.

[quote name='GUNNM']You're so lucky you get to be in the presence of diago so many times.[/QUOTE]

EVO 04 Moment #37 never gets old, EVER! :D

[quote name='GUNNM']You're so lucky you get to be in the presence of diago so many times.[/QUOTE]

Is it really luck? lol.

Daigo is cool. He's just another guy who enjoys playing fighting games.

dang, the stick box is pretty sick. might even breathe life back into MK vs DCU...now to just print out a moves list for all the characters and tape it to the wall.

[quote name='MarkMan']Is it really luck? lol.

Daigo is cool. He's just another guy who enjoys playing fighting games.[/QUOTE]
Does he awesomeness rub off on you and you're tekken gameplay improves 100x until it wears off?

it was to come with the first 3 games that were to come out on the PS3 and maybe the 360. Someone posted about it on CAG some time ago.

That's actually a good point I had completely forgotten about. To all those saying "buying a stick for just one fighter is lame", it becomes more worth it depending on just how much MK you do (or plan to) play. Hell, now I'm even more tempted to grab this knowing I can play XBL UMK3 with it. :D Not to mention the rumors of a Mortal Kombat HD collection (1, 2, and 3? something like that?) being released also makes this stick more worthwhile if you would ever plan on getting those.

My current plan? Get one of these, rock some new-gen MK, UMK3 on 360, and then dual-mod it to also work for PS3 and play some MK Trilogy with it. :D Suddenly this $80-90 stick just got a bit more value out of it's price for me.

Edit --
Hell. Just remembered that my local game store wants to run some classic MK3 on SNES tournies. Considering putting an MC Cthulhu board in there and getting SNES support on one of these puppies!

[quote name='MarkMan']I probably go to more competitions/tournaments than most... but whenever there is a BlazBlue event, there are a ton of entrants (not comparing it to SF4).

At Season's Beatings 5, BlazBlue had well over 100+ entrants. The second highest entered game at the event.[/QUOTE]

yeah i was there. SB is one of the countries biggest tourneys. like EVO if you get a thousand gamers that travel from around the country of course you'll get all the BB players together. but only a few big tourneys can pull those numbers. and 100 for arguably the 2nd biggest tourney in the US isnt impressive. the game is great but as i said earlier its far from huge.

btw thanks for coming to final round. Atlanta has been getting a ton more support in the gaming scene and our community has doubled easily. with big names coming to final round & events like fight club its brought in a ton of new & returning players. We are leveling up.

bread's done
Back