New Music You're Listening To

DJ K8E

Banned
Just post here whenever you're listening to or getting ready listen to a new album for the first time. New meaning, released in the last year or so, or yet to be released. I'll start out.

Aiden - Nightmare Anatomy
Decoder Ring - Fractions
Faktion - Faktion
Locksley - Locksley EP
Powerman 5000 - Destroy What You Enjoy
Showoff - Waiting For You EP

Can anyone recommend the new Cut Chemist, Jurassic 5, Rise Against, or Busta Rhymes? I should give them a listen, but I haven't, are they any good?

[quote name='DJ K8E']Powerman 5000 - Destroy What You Enjoy[/QUOTE]
I hope that turns out good... but I don't know if I like the musical direction they've veered off towards.

I miss the days of the genre-bending Mega!! Kung Fu Radio. :(

[quote name='Brak']I hope that turns out good... but I don't know if I like the musical direction they've veered off towards.

I miss the days of the genre-bending Mega!! Kung Fu Radio. :([/QUOTE]

What do you mean? I got into them on their second CD, I forgot the name of it but it had that Worlds Collide song on it... they were pretty decent live too.

And if his singles are any indication, that new Busta Rhymes CD will suck ass... sorry, but I think his beats are shitty and his songs are all pretty much shit (though that newest single of his is the worst).

[quote name='Brak']I hope that turns out good... but I don't know if I like the musical direction they've veered off towards.

I miss the days of the genre-bending Mega!! Kung Fu Radio. :([/QUOTE]

I liked Tonight the Stars Revolt and a couple other tracks off Anyone For Doomsday, but didn't like the sci-fi tangent they kept trying to go for. That's why I really enjoyed Transform, and it caught me by surprise. It's just straight-ahead rock, and it sounds like what they were made to do, to me.

[quote name='DJ K8E']
Can anyone recommend the new Cut Chemist, Jurassic 5, Rise Against, or Busta Rhymes? I should give them a listen, but I haven't, are they any good?[/quote]
I've liked Rise Against for a long time, but only listened to them on and off, usually around new cd releases. Their new cd came out July 4th. I'm really enjoying it. You can listen to the whole cd at http://www.purevolume.com/riseagainst

[quote name='Roufuss']What do you mean? I got into them on their second CD, I forgot the name of it but it had that Worlds Collide song on it... they were pretty decent live too.[/QUOTE]
That was their third, actually. Before they did Tonight the Stars Revolt, they had two albums under their belts. True Force and Mega!! Kung Fu Radio, which were a mixture of funk, hard rock, metal and hip-hop.

Tonight the Stars Revolt was a change in their style, but I enjoyed it; thought it was a very good record.

Their album after Anyone For Doomsday? (which was never released -- but later had a limited release; I got one ;) ), Transform, was more of a hard rock record... it was good, but I don't know if it was great, or that good of a progression, as it lost the genre-bending feel.

Here's a video from the Mega!! Kung Fu Radio record:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO9eyJVAaw8[/media]

I regard Mega!! Kung Fu Radio as one of the greatest records ever recorded.

[quote name='Brak']That was their third, actually. Before they did Tonight the Stars Revolt, they had two albums under their belts. True Force and Mega!! Kung Fu Radio, which were a mixture of funk, hard rock, metal and hip-hop.

Tonight the Stars Revolt was a change in their style, but I enjoyed it; thought it was a very good record.

Their album after Anyone For Doomsday? (which was never released -- but later had a limited release; I got one ;) ), Transform, was more of a hard rock record... it was good, but I don't know if it was great, or that good of a progression, as it lost the genre-bending feel.

Here's a video from the Mega!! Kung Fu Radio record:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO9eyJVAaw8

I regard Mega!! Kung Fu Radio as one of the greatest records ever recorded.[/QUOTE]

So is Transform out now? I remember Tonight the Stars Revolt was pretty rocking, if Transform is like that without the sci - fi feel I may pick it up.

I remember the lead singer is Rob Zombie's kid brother.

As far as new bands go, I've been listening to Catherine alot. Their first full length comes out August 8th.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yUono5IBok[/media]

[quote name='Roufuss']So is Transform out now? I remember Tonight the Stars Revolt was pretty rocking, if Transform is like that without the sci - fi feel I may pick it up.

I remember the lead singer is Rob Zombie's kid brother.[/QUOTE]
Transform came out three years ago, I think. It's straight forward hard rock, and doesn't sound much like Tonight the Stars Revolt or their earlier work. It was one of the many progressions in their career -- a good progression, but I wish I could hear more of the old funk-rock stylings of old.

And, as K8E mentioned, they have a new record coming out. It releases in August (1st, I think).

[quote name='Brak']Transform came out three years ago, I think. It's straight forward hard rock, and doesn't sound much like Tonight the Stars Revolt or their earlier work. It was one of the many progressions in their career -- a good progression, but I wish I could hear more of the old funk-rock stylings of old.[/QUOTE]

Methinks I will check it out... the radio played some Powerman 5000 the other day and I forgot how great they were.

I never realized people actually listen to Powerman 5000. Like noone in my area had heard of them until I wouldn't shut up about them. I loved the sci-fi thing they had going, I may not totally agree with the way they went with Transform, but it was still a good album.

What's the release date their new album? I'm definetly going to have to check it out.

Been listening to:

The Mars Volta-Amputechture-Technically, its not out yet but I couldnt hold out any longer after the album got leaked. When Frances the Mute got leaked I downloaded it, but ended up buying two copies on launch day out of guilt. :(

Another band I listen to alot of is killwhitneydead.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32_SUtk9fG4[/media]
They're big horror movie fans, and use alot of samples from horror flicks in their songs, as you can see. ;)

I'm picking up the new Strapping Young Lad and All That Remains albums this Tuesday, followed by the new Eighteen Visions and Terror albums the next two weeks. I'm so excited for this Tuesday!

I got in a import album today that I've been trying to get ahold of since late last year when it came out - Per Gessle - Son of a Plumber. It's a double-album, and I'm really digging it so far. Has a great 60's vibe, and no one writes a pop song like Per does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3qgv4sgaa8

EDIT: I have no idea how you guys get videos to appear in the thread.

I heard the J5 album is okay, but nothing special. I think someone mentioned that it's kinda different, and not in a good way. I won't know until it's officially released, but that's what I read.

I don't have it yet, since I want to buy it legally, but I'm looking forward to Thom Yorke's album.

I've been enjoying "Ganging Up on the Sun" by Guster, which shows some maturity. Mr. Lif's new CD is pretty good, but not spectacular.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']I don't have it yet, since I want to buy it legally, but I'm looking forward to Thom Yorke's album.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't get really excited for it. I did. I thought he was gonna go off on some wild tangent completely apart from Radiohead, but he didn't. It sounds like bland Radiohead, and bland Radiohead makes kittens cry.

I can safely say though that Aiden is boring, they're a bad My Chemical Romance, and for those that hate MCR to begin with, that makes them twice as bad. Faktion isn't much better... sadly.

Grabbed a couple more too, damn I hate OiNK...

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Don't You Fake It
New York Dolls - One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This
Dragonforce - Inhuman Rapmage
Johnny Cash - American V
Cut Chemist - The Audiences Listening
Rise Against - The Sufferer and the Witness
Busta Rhymes - The Big Band (Busta's one of my old-school faves, I got to see how he sounds now...)

Andrew W.K. is going to release three albums between 2006 - 2007. :O

"Close Calls With Brick Walls"
"Young Lord"
"The Carrier"

One of them has leaked online.

I don't listen to much new stuff, I tend towards older crust and grind albums. But, the most recent albums I think are Ge.nghis Tron's Dead Mounain Mouth and 324's Rebelgrind

[quote name='Brak']Andrew W.K. is going to release three albums between 2006 - 2007. :O

"Close Calls With Brick Walls"
"Young Lord"
"The Carrier"

One of them has leaked online.
[/quote]

Really? I can't find any...

[quote name='DJ K8E']Really? I can't find any...[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I found some of the tracks...

Some sound dingy, in quality, and some sound good... I couldn't find the complete album, anywhere, so it must be an early-ass leak.

I can wholeheartedly recommend that Showoff EP. Especially if you remember them from before, but even if you don't it's still very solid. I'd like to hear a new full-length from them now, they've got it right. I'm definitely ordering this one!

[quote name='DJ K8E']I can wholeheartedly recommend that Showoff EP. Especially if you remember them from before, but even if you don't it's still very solid. I'd like to hear a new full-length from them now, they've got it right. I'm definitely ordering this one![/quote]

Its so wierd that showoff is still big. I grew up with those guys in Yorkville, IL and went to school with them. At one point I almost was there new drummer when they were having problems. So wierd, so so so wierd....

HOW THE fuck HAVEN"T YOU MENTIONED THESE BANDS!?!?

Muse - Blackholes and Revelations
(different from there first 3 albums but everytime i listen to it i love it more.)

Silent Civilian
(Ex singer from Spineshank and very very very like Mudvayne, extrememly talented guitarist and drummer.)

The Fray
(hahah yeah i'm gay i really dig there album though, its different)

Anna Nalick
(yeah i'm a big Tori Amos fan and this is the best thing that happen to the woman scene since tori. Her lyrics are fucking amazing and good god shes gorgeous. Her best lyric is about the song that shes writing down and it can no longer threaten her when she puts it on paper, god damn shes talented)

Peeping tom
(the most accesible Mike Patton album since his Mr. Bungle/FNM days. Plus its fucking awesome)

Peter Gabriel - Growing up
(wow i just really started listening to peter gabriel and that man is fucking talented)

Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E
(its funny to go back and listen to this album cause it brings back so many high school memories and also it brings back the memory of them not sucking an asshole. Incubus has acutally been quoted saying that they couldn't believe that they made this album and considered it their worst album ever. What a fucking tard..)

Lastly

Jem
(shes got killer beats, totally fucking hawt with the WT and she has a song about blowing a guy. Need i say more?)

I've been listening to Wolfmother's self-titled album. It's alright. I think it's too repetitive to be called "great", but they definitely have a unique sound, and if they diversify their songs a bit more in the future, they could be great.

I've been listening to alot of:

Dredg
The Fold
Red - They're way overproduced but their melodies are great.
and lately I've been listening to alot of classic rock like Yes, theyre awesome.

Kind of new CDs I love these days:

Tapes N Tapes
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Wolf Parade
Bloc Party

I didn't know the new J5 was coming out already - I'll have to check that out but I doubt it will top the first 2 classics.

I listened to "The Eraser" by Thom Yorke for the first time today...it's simplistic but it works. It doesn't blow me away or anything, just pretty good.

Listening to God or julie's cd "What Doesn't Kill You..." right now. http://www.purevolume.com/godorjulie

Have been listening to The Early november's new triple disc "The Mother, The Mechanic, and the Path." since tuesday. --http://www.purevolume.com/theearlynovember

Will be getting the new Umbrellas cd in 2 weeks when it comes out. -- http://www.purevolume.com/umbrellas

Some stuff I've been listening to that isn't new:

Our Lady Peace - Happiness/Spiritual Machines
Brand New - Deja Entendu
Blue October - Consent to Treatment
Some by Sea - On Fire! Igloo
Keane - Under the Iron Sea

(I know under the iron sea is pretty new, but i get a lot of cds so they don't stay new for long)

[quote name='senorwoohoo']I listened to "The Eraser" by Thom Yorke for the first time today...it's simplistic but it works. It doesn't blow me away or anything, just pretty good.[/quote]

It grows on you. It's like a catchier Kid A - not a lot of guitars and lots of drum machines and electronic touches but the songs get stuck in my head... he definitely needs Radiohead to be great though but this is still an above average CD... B+ probably.

I've been listening to the new Forecast and Early November records (All 4 of them in total). Good stuff. I also bought the new Warped Tour 06 compilation, 51 songs, about 7 of them are actually good. OH well, it's only $8.

bread's done
Back