New or Old PS3 box art logo?

All I can say is I'm glad I got a PS3 last year. That way I still have my console with the superior spidey font, and most of my games have it too. I really wish they didn't change it. While I still love my ps3 far more than any other console I have, I don't really like their new design decisions. I prefer the fat console way more than the slim, and I don't like the new logos and whatnot.

The new horizontal logo is much better use of space combining the PS3 logo and Playstation Network logos into one bar at the top. The old cases look too busy with a horizontal and vertical bar with text filling both of them. The new cases have all that on the top and still leaves space. The spine also looks better now and is much more identifiable. The new look is definitely better.

I prefer the new a lot more and i also like how they went back to the logos for what the game uses, i.e. number of players, hd space, resolution, dualshock, headset, etc.

But it irritates me that they changed the size of the spine logo so that they really stick out on my shelves. Part of Me hopes that the Cover Project starts converting old covers into new ones to promote my anal-ness.

I don't care for the new cover in digital form, but it looks much better on a physical box. I liked the old style of cover, as it was kind of a return to the PS1-style covers, but they messed that up when they started adding a tab on the top with "Only on PlayStation" and a PlayStation Network logo if it had online.

I prefer the old logo A TON more...couple of reasons why. I grew very fond of the little red square chilling at the top of the spine of each game. Also, I like how the case actually has Playstation 3 at the top of it...ON the plastic. The newer cases just say BluRay...I hate that. I also just prefer the old logo more. I don't like this new PS3 Slim logo going on, and it's bad enough having to see it each time my PS3 boots up. Blah...long live the older style!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't care for the new cover in digital form, but it looks much better on a physical box. I liked the old style of cover, as it was kind of a return to the PS1-style covers, but they messed that up when they started adding a tab on the top with "Only on PlayStation" and a PlayStation Network logo if it had online.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. PS1 and PS2 game cases didn't carry such a moniker of "Only on", exclusivity, etc. like the other consoles did, and it was one of those little touches to the presentation of the games that I liked IMO. And now they're on PS3 (and PSP) game cases.

Slightly off-topic, but I'm curious now...were there any titles released that had the old-style "PLAYSTATION®Network" on the cover, before PLAYSTATION was de-capitalized to PlayStation? SOCOM: Confrontation comes to mind but I'm not sure.

[quote name='BigD']Also, I like how the case actually has Playstation 3 at the top of it...ON the plastic. The newer cases just say BluRay...I hate that.[/QUOTE]
This.

Question: I assume that the first-run titles with the new box art design/logo were all first-party, i.e. LBP GOTY, Uncharted 2? Thing is, until the slim PS3 and re-branding were revealed, the cover artwork floating around on retailer websites + the PlayStation Blog carried the old style.

Did the first batches of LBP (for example) end up in stores with the old cover style upon release date? If they indeed exist, could they be rare? Hmm.

The only thing I don't like about the new box art is that grey gradient...it looks so...noobish. Gotta agree with the art on the back of the cover (inside of the game case). It's unfortunate Dragon Age: Origins' is white/blank :(

BOTH. They should make games 50% old and 50% new so people can buy whichever they want, plus i never understand why people argue over the packaging, so childish, just play the game

I like the new version a lot more, But I hate the fact that Sony had to change it mid life. I like having all my games look the same (I won't buy Greatest Hit versions for that reason).

On the plus side for me, I only own 3 PS3 games so I could always go to thecoverproject.net and download replacement covers for my old PS3 games.

[quote name='MICHAE2414']Did the first batches of LBP (for example) end up in stores with the old cover style upon release date? If they indeed exist, could they be rare? Hmm.[/QUOTE]
Adding to this: I noticed that the in the promo ad for Sony's Best Buy bundle of a Bravia + PS3 (here), Kevin Butler holds up LBP GOTY and it has the old cover style...but every retail copy I've seen has the new style. (...!)

The GOTY edition came out before the new styles of boxart started. Uncharted 2 was the first Sony game to have it, so it was probably reprinted with the new style at some point recently since Amazon and Gamestop have the old style for their listings of the game.

I prefer the old ones, something about them look hella sexy to me.

I still haven't bought a game with the new logo though. Well actually I bought GoW collection, but I haven't seen it in person yet since it's back at home. Might change my mind once I see it in person though.

reviving this to know your opinions 3 years later. I think it's so much better and very very happy they changed it.

That Spider Man font was terrible. The new logo is great but the new blue cheapo accessory boxes look awful.

The PS2 had the most stylish game cases and hardware boxes.

I'm fine with both, but if I have to choose I'm goin' with the new design. It looks more clean and sleek than the old design.

bread's done
Back