New PC will not start up

SarBear

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
Hey,

I recently got in all the parts for my computer that ordered through newegg. I am new to building, but many references stated that as long as i have followed the manuals for my devices i should have no problems. For the most part, i have no issues.

But, when I am trying to power the rig up, I get nothing. No green light on the motherboard....nothing.

I checked to make sure I had all the necessary cables hooked up, too. 4 pin ATX cable is in, 24 pin motherboard cable is in, pci juicer is hooked up, and a few other devices via the molex connectors. I plugged in my power cable to the supply with it off, as stated, and when I click it to on i get nothing.

I have no idea what to do at this point. Any advice? Here's what I purchased, for reference to those who can possibly help:

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=6190651

Again, if anyone can walk me through a few checks and balances I would be most appreciative.

Are all the little case leads hooked up correctly?

Not sure what they're called, but do you have the spacers installed so your motherboard's not screwed directly onto the case?

I just built my first pc earlier this year.

If nothing is turning on then the obvious place to start is the psu. Sounds like you checked all the connections.

Do you still have your old pc? this could take a while to switch it back and forth but you could test your psu in your old pc. You can also purchase a psu tester and when you plug in cables to it, it will tell you if power is coming through.

Is your power button on the front panel connected correctly? That's another idea.

You wire the mobo to the case power button correctly? also, the spacers for the mobo and case may matter too. Or the PSU. One of those 3 is what I'm thinking where the problem lies. I built my computer a year ago and it had the same problem, I took it to my moms company (computer) and they fixed it by rewiring some cables and rescrewing on the mobo to the case.

Did you make sure to turn on the PSU itself?

There's a button on back of the PSU (back as in, the side of the PSU that you can see from the back of your case- the same side where you plug in the power cable) with an "|" and an "O" position, make sure it's in the "|" position.

If that doesn't work, chances are it's a bad PSU. Get that replaced first.

I had a wonky PSU on my first build which worked randomly but once it worked, it worked perfectly until I unplugged it to take it to/from college/home. I never suspected it to be the PSU but once it really died, it caused a lot of headache before I found out the PSU was bad.

Did you make sure that the RAM is seated correctly, with the clips latching on to it? I built a PC earlier this year, and I couldn't get it to start up either. Turns out my RAM wasn't securely locked into place.

[quote name='metaly']
Not sure what they're called, but do you have the spacers installed so your motherboard's not screwed directly onto the case?[/quote]

This is the first thing that popped into my mind. I didn't use the risers on the first PC I assembled. Luckily it didn't damage anything.

Yea, I had the spacers in correctly. I made sure the ram was seated properly, tried two sticks then down to one. I hooked up my psu to another computer and it does in fact work, it's just one of those that when hooked up to the outlet it doesn't function. -_-

So, I believe the culprit is the motherboard. I'm RMA'ing it. It's a damn gigabyte, too. -_- Ah well. DOA I presume.

A few more things to try, i used to work at a small IT place and we saw a lot of home users with common setup problems, so i'll be extra descriptive and i'm sorry if it sounds like i'm dumbing it down to much...

First of all unplug any hd or optical drive you have. Power on/off. see if there is a change. Make sure you have the ram seated correctly and in the right slot (you have the yellow/red slots) put a pair in the red, then a pair in the yellow, the mobo should have a preference to one slot before the other. Power on/off. Make sure when you installed the cpu correctly you seated it right (this is hard to fuck up on the intel core 2) but make sure the arm is down all the way and that nothing feels loose. strip out and reconnect all your power connectors, and rewire them all.

If it's still not working make sure that your mobo power switch is wired correctly (make sure + on + and - on - ). An old tech bench trick is to take a flat head and run it over all the pins, you'll short out the power ones and turn it on (*try at your own risk*)

if all else fails you can rma it, or try and find a local shop that is willing to take a look at it (DO NOT TAKE IT TO GEEK SQUAD) a good tech should diagnose it pretty quickly with the right tools.

Always plug in the mobo before building your computer. Most mobo's have a light that comes on when they are plugged in that shows if they are working. Sounds like a DOA mobo to me. Take all your parts out of it and send if back for a RMA

Before you RMA if it's not too late - Does the system POST? Or does it not boot at all. If it doesnt boot at all, try as said before, simply hook it up to another computer and test the PSU.

Newegg is always willing to help though, so no worries if you RMA :)

Yea, I took off everything except for the processor (the damn heatsink/fan was a pain to get on), and the darn thing just didn't post. Do all motherboards report posting by a green light? Specifically the ga p35 ds4?

It wasn't the power supply, either. I thought it was at first because when I plugged up just the supply to see if it would even spin for half a second I got nothing. Though, I read a few places that not all power supplies work by just plugging it in and not being connected to the board. After putting it on my buddy's computer it worked. That's when we tested to see if power was getting to the board at all....and that's when we learned it was dead. -_-

I shipped it out Sunday, hopefully I'll get it before the week's over. :)

Ah it sounds most like the mobo being your issue. No worries, though. Newegg will have you up and running soon :)

bread's done
Back