New pro elite PS3 wireless controller $34.99 @ Amazon

Nice. I think I will snag one of them.

My only issue is the bumpy texture. Why do 3rd party manufacturers always feel the need to add grips? I would much rather have it smooth like the 1st party stock controllers and have the option to buy some grip sleeves or whatnot if I really wanted them.

didn't Best Buy clearance these things off at the beginning of the year for like $10?

edit: d-pad looks like crap and uncomfortable.

You have to love the Frequently Bought Together section:

"Frequently Bought Together

Customers buy this item with Halo Reach by Microsoft Xbox 360 $59.99"

[quote name='vic_x51']didn't Best Buy clearance these things off at the beginning of the year for like $10?

edit: d-pad looks like crap and uncomfortable.[/QUOTE]

That's was the rocket fish controller and I don't recommend it. Hell I refuse to pay over $15 for any third party controller

[quote name='vic_x51']didn't Best Buy clearance these things off at the beginning of the year for like $10?

Nope, those were made by a company called Rocketfish. This is a new controller.

If you're getting this controller you probably aren't in it for the D-pad.

I have the USB version of this controller (20 bucks) for playing Battlefield. Picked it up on Sunday. It plays super nice. I usually HATE 3rd party controllers.

My K/D ratio has went up this week. It is much easier to use esp if you are a multiplatform gamer. Toysrus also sells it this week in store for 34.99 (they sold out on Sunday so I bought Wired).

This is the first good 3rd party controller I have used but still keep around your DS for fighters (I have a Tourny stick) or for platformers.

^ I think the point is just that. For users of both PS3 and Xbox 360 that find the 360 control superior.
I'd probably agree that the 360 controller is better for shooters...

maybe this will be good for those migrating over to PSN from xbox live due to the membership price increase for Microsoft. just a thought

[quote name='pureheat101']^ I think the point is just that. For users of both PS3 and Xbox 360 that find the 360 control superior.
I'd probably agree that the 360 controller is better for shooters...

maybe this will be good for those migrating over to PSN from xbox live due to the membership price increase for Microsoft. just a thought[/QUOTE]
Oh ok I see. I dont think they are that different though. Going from PS3 controller to 360 wasnt hard as I thought it would be.

Personally, I have a huge backlog of stuff I want to play on the PS3, but am less inclined to because I dislike the shape and weight of the Dualshock 3. This, to me, looks pretty enticing, though, as I prefer the 360 controller hands down. However, the fact that it isn't bluetooth is definitely weaksauce. I think I'll wait a bit.

[quote name='ATHF']I dont get it...it looks just like a 360 controller? Whats the point.[/QUOTE]

No wonder it looked familiar to me.

SOLD!!!!!!

There is no question Xbox 360 controllers are better for FPS.

PS3 controllers are better for everything else.

Just my opinion. However, if this was shaped like a PS3 controller, I probably would've gone for it.

[quote name='MICHGoBlue']There is no question Xbox 360 controllers are better for FPS.

[/QUOTE]
Don't forget third person shooters. Third person action/exploration games as well- and flight sims. Also, games with six degrees of freedom. It's a push either way for racing.

I got so incredibly frustrated with symmetric TS and the thumb-bumping playing Uncharted 2; I wanted to go back and replay it after I finished it but couldn't.

[quote name='ATHF']I dont get it...it looks just like a 360 controller? Whats the point.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='pureheat101']^ I think the point is just that.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Personally, I've owned all the Sony home consoles, and I use to love the design of their controllers. After owning a 360 for a couple of years, though, I much prefer its controller.

If this controller doesn't take AA batteries then what happens when it no longer holds a charge? Paper weight.

I haven't tried this controller yet, but one of my gripes w/ the PS3 controller was the resistance on the analog sticks. I don't have a problem w/ the layout at all, but i like the stiffer resistance of the xbox controller for fps games. Once some more reviews come out, i might jump on this in the future. as it is now, i've been playing all multi platform fps games on xbox.

Ive been toying with the idea of getting that weird adapter thingy they sell at meritline.com that allows you to use your 360 controller on your ps3 minus sixaxis obviously.

[quote name='tufnoodle']I haven't tried this controller yet, but one of my gripes w/ the PS3 controller was the resistance on the analog sticks. I don't have a problem w/ the layout at all, but i like the stiffer resistance of the xbox controller for fps games. Once some more reviews come out, i might jump on this in the future. as it is now, i've been playing all multi platform fps games on xbox.[/QUOTE]

You really won't like this one. It doesn't have much resistance. It is about the same as the PS3.

[quote name='meta460085']If this controller doesn't take AA batteries then what happens when it no longer holds a charge? Paper weight.[/QUOTE]

When it no longer holds a charge, you plug it into usb and use it as a wired controller. Just like every other PS3 controller...

[quote name='k1llm3kwik']You really won't like this one. It doesn't have much resistance. It is about the same as the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info!

No. Those were the Rocketfish controllers, which are not too bad for third party. They(Rocketfish) run on Bluetooth and have an internal rechargable battery like the Dual Shock 3's.

However for those who are interested in finding one of them be warned that the battery life leaves something be desired, the L2/R2 triggers are weaker than the DS3's and the PS button on the controllers needs to be loosened up before it becomes somewhat useful.

But for $10 the Rocketfish controllers from BB aren't a bad option for a spare controller really.

I still have like 3 of them on my trade list actually. I bought a bunch of them for friends but they all backed out of wanting them....AFTER the return period.:roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='h3llbring3r']Don't forget third person shooters. Third person action/exploration games as well- and flight sims. Also, games with six degrees of freedom. It's a push either way for racing.

I got so incredibly frustrated with symmetric TS and the thumb-bumping playing Uncharted 2; I wanted to go back and replay it after I finished it but couldn't.[/QUOTE]

I actually don't like the 360 controller for anything other than sim racers. I prefer R1/L1 for aim/shoot over anything. That probably comes from my preference of single action triggers.

This looks great for people who don't like the DS3. I probably would have kept my 360 if there was a quality 360 controller mimicking the DS3.

and the L+R triggers look like ass, as well.

The SKU for the Best Buy Rocketfish controllers is: 9443809.

This is in case anyone wants to try locating one in store, though they've been on clearance for a while now.

[quote name='nhlmaniac']When it no longer holds a charge, you plug it into usb and use it as a wired controller. Just like every other PS3 controller...[/QUOTE]

When my sixaxis stopped taking a charge I bought a $12 replacement battery. Point being that often these 3rd party wireless controllers use weird batteries that are impossible to find. If 6 months down the line your gonna be plugging it is to use it just get the wired version of this controller, atleast then you gonna save your self a usb port since the wireless will ultimately need a usb port for the dongle and one for power.

Does anyone know how this compares with http://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Wireless-Controller-Rumble-Playstation-3/dp/B002T4SH0A/ ?

It's also similar to Xbox controller, flipping Dpad and Left Analog. The stick placement is not an issue for me, just ergonomics. I like 360 controller's ergonomics more, you grip it with your entire palm rather than just on the tips of your hands. Anyone who's used both DS3 and 360 controls knows what i'm talking about.

[quote name='chopper731']I actually don't like the 360 controller for anything other than sim racers. I prefer R1/L1 for aim/shoot over anything. That probably comes from my preference of single action triggers.
[/QUOTE]
That's bizarre, the complete and total opposite of the consensus I get about current gen. controller preferences- preferring the 360 controller for the one genre that people generally like the symmetric analog sticks for. You sir are the rule proving exception, a unique outlier. :applause:

The fact that it looks like the 360 is the selling point for me. I hate the placement of the left analog stick on the Sony pad.

If it was BT I'd buy it, it does look perfect. But alas I already have 2 DS3s, and since I only have 2 USB slots I value them a lot for charging my ipod and using a flash drive...

[quote name='yamugushi']If it was BT I'd buy it, it does look perfect. But alas I already have 2 DS3s, and since I only have 2 USB slots I value them a lot for charging my ipod and using a flash drive...[/QUOTE]
A USB hub is a great way to expand your PS3 so it has more USB ports.;)

I have the Rock Band external hub that I got on clearance from Target for $5 a while ago and it works great.

As for controllers with Bluetooth, again I'll mention the Best Buy clearance of the Rocketfish controllers for only $10 each.

SKU: 9443809

[quote name='yamugushi']If it was BT I'd buy it, it does look perfect. But alas I already have 2 DS3s, and since I only have 2 USB slots I value them a lot for charging my ipod and using a flash drive...[/QUOTE]
Exactly my position. I love that they're using the Xbox 360 design, but wish it had bluetooth. It's funny, I disliked the Xbox design when I first tried it, but now that I have and use both, the Xbox controller is far more comfortable, it has buttons where my fingers normally sit. As is, the L2 / R2 buttons are so awkward to hold down, most PS3 shooters use L1 / R1 instead.

I hope Sony update's their controller's ergonomics for the next console.

Looks pretty good, but I'm not wiling to drop that much money to find out for myself. Maybe if I can get them for sub $20.

Besides, I found a good alternative in using those PS2 Logitech controllers.

Plus, I have a 360 controller that's starting to give me problems and I'm just waiting for it to conk out. Once it does, I'm going to cram my Sixaxis controller, that I never use anymore, into the 360 shell

I am tempted to order one of these. I have that Rocket Fish controller, but the L1/R1 buttons are terribly uncomfortable. I can't play shooters for more than a few minutes because my hands cramp up due to the size and position of those buttons. It would be nice if more games supported a full custom button config so you could set R2 as fire instead of R1.

bread's done
Back