New PS2 Slims Converted to Used (GS 39.99)

DCpinoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey everyone, sorry if this is old news. Gamestop has started to convert all their new PS2 Slims to Used (without breaking the seals on it). So that means that it's going for 39.99 now for brand new Slims. YMMV, but it's confirmed in Davis, CA and has been confirmed by another member also. Apparently they just received the email the other day to begin the process. Good luck!

[quote name='blindinglights']Thanks so much to the guy who said they converted new PS2s to used at Gamestop this week. Just picked up a brand new sealed one for $39.99.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheJayxor392']New-to-Used conversions are nationwide and affect every store. Every store receives an e-mail notifying them of the item they have in stock as New that are being converted to Used.

So yes, go trying to find some at a store near you. Since the SKU has been deleted from the systems, you'll have to call every store that has Used Slim PS2s in stock.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CaoPi']Did you unban yourself from gamestop? ;)[/QUOTE]
No. To quote the butler from Mr. Deeds. I am sneaky sneaky.:lol: Of course, not sneaky enough since the DM has caught me going into his home office store at least once.:lol: Wouldn't you know it it was the day after a guide drop and I kinda went in there to check for some dropped guides besides to peruse the PS2 titles.:D

I was shocked they had a copy of the Midway Arcade Treasures in stock and COMPLETE at that store.:whistle2:#
[quote name='slowdive21']I don't know if this has been re-released on ps3, but GTA Vice City is a great PS2 game. I am not usually a fan of GTA type games but GTA 3 and Vice City are worth playing.

Kingdom Hearts and the Shin Megami Tensi Series are good too.[/QUOTE]
Vice City is worth it just for the music imo. I can only imagine all of the hassle and switched out music we'd end up getting instead of the tunes that made the game so much fun to play originally.

[quote name='Yamato']On track? This thread is just a bunch of people either saying "yep i got one" or "no, couldn't find any". There's nothing productive going on here.

Regardless, I'm done. In fact, let me ask you guys a question.

What PS2 games are you buying these consoles for? Are you looking to replay some titles, or what?[/QUOTE]

Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
I tried playing San Andreas on the PS2 I got from Target for $50 a while ago on clearance and I felt like my eyes were gonna start bleeding at any moment. That's how :puke: it looked to me.:whistle2:# Yet I played almost 200 hours in the game back when all I had was a PS2 and Xbox.[/QUOTE]

While we have all raised our standards thanks to the high horsepower of current gen hardware, I think that old big ass tube CRT TVs were alot more forgiving of the PS2 that LCDs are....alot of stuff was jaggy back in the day, but CRTs smoothed it over a bit while LCDs seem to exacerbate jagginess...

[quote name='Yamato']

What PS2 games are you buying these consoles for? Are you looking to replay some titles, or what?[/QUOTE]
I'm currently replaying Wild Arms Alter Code F, and on the look out for Dragon Quest VIII, since I never finished it.

[quote name='Yamato']

Smackdowm vs Raw 2006, smackdown here comes the pain, fire pro wrestling returns, kingdom hearts and Dot hack games.

[quote name='K_G']While we have all raised our standards thanks to the high horsepower of current gen hardware, I think that old big ass tube CRT TVs were alot more forgiving of the PS2 that LCDs are....alot of stuff was jaggy back in the day, but CRTs smoothed it over a bit while LCDs seem to exacerbate jagginess...[/QUOTE]
I was playing on my 20" SDtv up in my room and the red 'glare' effect in San Andreas was blinding 90% of the time. Not to mention that the cars chug along at uneven speeds and will rear end your car if you slow down on the bigger highways in the game.

Like I said, I used to enjoy the game, but it was a huge disappointment when I tried playing it again.:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Like I said, I used to enjoy the game, but it was a huge disappointment when I tried playing it again.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a previous relationship I once had.

[quote name='K_G']While we have all raised our standards thanks to the high horsepower of current gen hardware, I think that old big ass tube CRT TVs were alot more forgiving of the PS2 that LCDs are....alot of stuff was jaggy back in the day, but CRTs smoothed it over a bit while LCDs seem to exacerbate jagginess...[/QUOTE]

I agree with you there. The CRT hides all the problems non HD graphics have. I'm in the process of setting up an old CRT in another room for any non HD gaming. This hobby is starting to take up too much space!

On a side note San Andres plays on the 360 according to the compatibility website. Why not play it on the 360? The upscaler in the 360 should make it look better.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If I bought one of these, I'd most likely be buying it to pick up the classic game collections at the next B2G2 that GS has, like the Midway's Arcade Treasures collections.

[/QUOTE]

This is what I primarily use my PS2 for anymore. I must have around 20 of them. A lot less expensive than buying them as dl's for modern consoles. And since those games weren't hd anyway, playing on a last gen console on a crt isn't too hard on the eyes. I've been picking up compilations on my Xbox 360 for the exact same reason.

[quote name='mogamer']This is what I primarily use my PS2 for anymore. I must have around 20 of them. A lot less expensive than buying them as dl's for modern consoles. And since those games weren't hd anyway, playing on a last gen console on a crt isn't too hard on the eyes. I've been picking up compilations on my Xbox 360 for the exact same reason.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Taito Legends 1 and 2. Great collections!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taito_Legends
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taito_Legends_2

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was playing on my 20" SDtv up in my room and the red 'glare' effect in San Andreas was blinding 90% of the time. Not to mention that the cars chug along at uneven speeds and will rear end your car if you slow down on the bigger highways in the game.

Like I said, I used to enjoy the game, but it was a huge disappointment when I tried playing it again.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Not this game specifically but glare on CRT's had ruined so many games and DVD's for me. I'd rather watch stuff letterboxed in the middle of my HDTV than put up with the glare, I don't actually know what to call it but its when the picture doesn't fill your whole HDTV. There are a lot of games where its so dark you can't see where you are going and glare only makes that worse. Some DVD's play with the see through effect, where you can still see the picture but its like you can see everything else in the room reflecting into the DVD as well, the picture looks transparent.

Seems to only happen in certain conditions though and only with certain DVD's as I can watch certain VHS tapes on my CRT and they look fine and are not see through. But if you put a CRT in a dark basement with completely covered windows or no windows and no lights I assume these effects would go away and you would only see the TV. Unfortunately I don't think most of us can replicate those conditions.

Struck out at another 3 Gamestops today -- two said 'We haven't gotten any new PS2's in years', one of the two scoffed at me for wanting to 'inspect the condition of the used ones'.

The third was very, very frank -- 'Yeah, we just converted our new ones to used. It was posted on some internet forum I think, and we sold out of them real quick. I have one left but it looks like a 7 year old owned it.' It even had a copy of Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone inside of it (which he didn't know about!).

I think this effectively ends my PS2 hunt :(

[quote name='b3b0p']I struck out in Oklahoma. No PS2's were found.

Felt strange, but the employees were nice. Had not been inside a gamestop in what must be near a decade now. I think college... 2005?[/QUOTE]

Where in Oklahoma are you at? The GameStop in Edmond (by Target) is pretty nice and the employees are fine. They have a couple of good looking chicks, which is rare for GameStop.

The one in Norman (across from Target) is also very nice. I even found 2 copies of used Dead Space 2 that still had the online code in them. The case, game and manual looked brand new.

Theres been a lot of complaints about the bad quality of the picture of PS2s on an HDTV.
One solution I found was to use a component cable like the one here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10830&cs_id=1083003&p_id=4009&seq=1&format=2

DO NOT use the composite cable that came with the PS2. Its easy to get confused but a component cable (NOT composite cable) ramps up the graphics on the PS2 to HD-ish quality. It wont be as good as HDMI but it will float around 480p for games that support them. GT4 supports up to 1080i

Games that support HD (480p):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_HD_support

EDIT: Looks like monoprice is out. At least you know what cable you need to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those still interested there are quite a few floating around the Sacramento area. There are currently 9 in stock at the Roseville Galleria store and a few by the one at Auburn and Madison.

[quote name='clortho']For those still interested there are quite a few floating around the Sacramento area. There are currently 9 in stock at the Roseville Galleria store and a few by the one at Auburn and Madison.[/QUOTE]

What colors?

There's a game stop at a outdoor mall here in cali, after killing some time waiting on Episode 1 to start, I stumbled on 2 white singstar PS2 bundles brand new in-box. The GS employee had to knock the dust off them, she hesitated on selling me both but the manager was cool with it. Came up with 2 white ps2's for $83 n change.

[quote name='Breakshammy']There's a game stop at a outdoor mall here in cali, after killing some time waiting on Episode 1 to start, I stumbled on 2 white singstar PS2 bundles brand new in-box. The GS employee had to knock the dust off them, she hesitated on selling me both but the manager was cool with it. Came up with 2 white ps2's for $83 n change.[/QUOTE]

Lucky, I haven't been able to find any new ones in my area.

Either of you know an 'exact' way to check the amount of memory on a PS2 memory card? Just got my 128mb $6.99 one from overseas and it pops up saying 8mb, but I'm thinking that could(better) be wrong.

I know someone, somewhere said they bought 1 and it was 64, instead of 128.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Either of you know an 'exact' way to check the amount of memory on a PS2 memory card? Just got my 128mb $6.99 one from overseas and it pops up saying 8mb, but I'm thinking that could(better) be wrong.

I know someone, somewhere said they bought 1 and it was 64, instead of 128.[/QUOTE]

Hate to say it but something like this normally means you got scammed.
I remember buying flash drives from overseas that advertised 8 GB only to find out they took a 2 GB memory chip in and stuffed it in the housing.

In my personal experience those "super" memory cards are prone to some real problems. Why not just use the 8 mb official ones? Most ps2 game saves hardly take that much in terms of space.

[quote name='Gosha']The katana brand memory cards are really nice for third party. They page the data out in 8mb increments.[/QUOTE]

I believe that's because they're second party cards (not made by Sony, but they are officially licensed).

[quote name='mrfossey']I bought this years ago when I switched over to LCD, and while it still doesn't look amazing, this cable gets the job done as best as possible. Think I bought it for around $5 as well.[/QUOTE]

Overall thoughts to the PS2 with component cables? Since my 60GB PS3 gave up the ghost awhile ago, a library of PS2 games is sitting idle. I hooked up my old fat PS2 to my HDTV and it looks atrocious (I miss the upscaling from the PS3...ugh). Is it worth picking up a cable on the cheap, or should I just wait to emulate?

[quote name='Gosha']The katana brand memory cards are really nice for third party. They page the data out in 8mb increments.[/QUOTE]

Yup. They were an official 3rd party licensee with the official Sony PS2 logos on their products.

I have one of their switchable memory cards, with 4 banks, and while I don't use it a lot any more, I have not had any problems with it. I now use it as my primary card with my kids--it means no card swapping needed, just switching, and I use my 1st party Sony cards to back-up our saves.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']Actually found a white ceramic bundle. super stoked since I didnt think I'd even find a black one.[/QUOTE]

So envious right now, but congrats. Apparently, I just missed out on a silver and then a white bundle at two successive Gamestops back when I was hunting for PS2's a few weeks ago. Wish I had seen the guy who beat me to the punch. Would have paid him for one of them :whistle2:(

Also, good to see another Gooner on the forums. Sadly not the best season for us..

[quote name='AFC']So envious right now, but congrats. Apparently, I just missed out on a silver and then a white bundle at two successive Gamestops back when I was hunting for PS2's a few weeks ago. Wish I had seen the guy who beat me to the punch. Would have paid him for one of them :whistle2:(

Also, good to see another Gooner on the forums. Sadly not the best season for us..[/QUOTE]

My friend, I don't think we'll have another good season for a longggg time. Its the end of an era at Arsenal and sadly mid table mediocrity awaits us...

(hope Im wrong)

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']My friend, I don't think we'll have another good season for a longggg time. Its the end of an era at Arsenal and sadly mid table mediocrity awaits us...

(hope Im wrong)[/QUOTE]

So do I. As long as we stay in the top 4 this year, we'll have a chance to attract players in the summer when, hopefully, the board/Wenger will be more willing to throw out some cash. Just hoping that St. Totteringham's Day will come this year.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']My friend, I don't think we'll have another good season for a longggg time. Its the end of an era at Arsenal and sadly mid table mediocrity awaits us...

(hope Im wrong)[/QUOTE]

Midtable mediocrity is not so bad, it's the flirting with relegation that stings.

Go Toffees!

[quote name='Double-J']Overall thoughts to the PS2 with component cables? Since my 60GB PS3 gave up the ghost awhile ago, a library of PS2 games is sitting idle. I hooked up my old fat PS2 to my HDTV and it looks atrocious (I miss the upscaling from the PS3...ugh). Is it worth picking up a cable on the cheap, or should I just wait to emulate?[/QUOTE]Component will look better for sure, but I think my games look better running on the PS3 and being upscaled. Certain games with attempts at detailed graphics like SOCOM's bushes you need to crawl through while being stealthy will look rough.

[quote name='Double-J']Overall thoughts to the PS2 with component cables? Since my 60GB PS3 gave up the ghost awhile ago, a library of PS2 games is sitting idle. I hooked up my old fat PS2 to my HDTV and it looks atrocious (I miss the upscaling from the PS3...ugh). Is it worth picking up a cable on the cheap, or should I just wait to emulate?[/QUOTE]

Like others have said, get a component cable. The look really varies by game. Here is some good information as to the HD support in various PS2 games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_HD_support

Don't overlook turning on progressive scan mode (in games that support it) by holding down the (triangle) and (X) buttons when the Playstation logo appears. Also don't forget to check the games video options for things like widescreen etc.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Component will look better for sure, but I think my games look better running on the PS3 and being upscaled. Certain games with attempts at detailed graphics like SOCOM's bushes you need to crawl through while being stealthy will look rough.[/QUOTE]
Certain modern games(GTA IV/Episodes) have some facets that already look rough when viewed from certain angles in the game. Case in point: trees in the GTA games. You can clearly see how they created them and they look very 'flat' while in midair in a helicopter.

Called maybe 20 Gamestops but was able to pick up a new sealed PS2 Slim for $39.99 plus tax :cool: as my old PS2 slim's laser was acting up and too expensive to fix. If anyone has DIY tips to fix the laser I would appreciate it. I might pick another PS2 Slim up for shitz n giggles.

Is it worth picking up another PS2 Slim as I bought a new one yesterday? I just don't want the laser to crap out on me again and have to replace it plus the PS3 isn't backwards compatible. Also anyone have tips to prevent overheating? Called a couple stores that still have some sealed but no luck finding the white or silver slims. If anyone has a silver/white ps2 slim sealed and looking to trade or if anyone wants one, let me know, and maybe we can work something out. But the majority of the stores I called stated that they hadn't had one in years :roll:.

[quote name='JYabbz']Is it worth picking up another PS2 Slim as I bought a new one yesterday? I just don't want the laser to crap out on me again and have to replace it plus the PS3 isn't backwards compatible. Also anyone have tips to prevent overheating? Called a couple stores that still have some sealed but no luck finding the white or silver slims. If anyone has a silver/white ps2 slim sealed and looking to trade or if anyone wants one, let me know, and maybe we can work something out. But the majority of the stores I called stated that they hadn't had one in years :roll:.[/QUOTE]

U got a "new" PS2 at Gamestop? (in PS2 box)

It's worth it if u have large collection and you can use it as a DVD player.
(DVD Players new at store is $30-$40)

[quote name='JYabbz']Is it worth picking up another PS2 Slim as I bought a new one yesterday? I just don't want the laser to crap out on me again and have to replace it plus the PS3 isn't backwards compatible. Also anyone have tips to prevent overheating? Called a couple stores that still have some sealed but no luck finding the white or silver slims. If anyone has a silver/white ps2 slim sealed and looking to trade or if anyone wants one, let me know, and maybe we can work something out. But the majority of the stores I called stated that they hadn't had one in years :roll:.[/QUOTE]
Overheating? On the PS2 slim? I've never heard of that issue before, but I have heard of people causing damage to their games by snapping/popping the games on and off the spindle in the system too quickly or too hard.

My one buddy and I played a marathon gaming session the one night on his slim PS2(10+ hours) and while the system did get warm/very warm it didn't even suffer a single graphical hiccup.

Now on the other hand if you're playing games that have a lot of videos and do a lot of streaming from the disc then I might see how it could possibly overheat. But the slims seem to be very well built machines by comparison to their fat model brethren.

[quote name='The Punisher']U got a "new" PS2 at Gamestop? (in PS2 box)

It's worth it if u have large collection and you can use it as a DVD player.
(DVD Players new at store is $30-$40)[/QUOTE]

Yes I got a NEW PS2 SLIM @ GAMESTOP (IN PS2 BOX) = SEALED. I was wondering if it was worth getting another one as a backup just in case the new one breaks in the future and my PS3 is not backwards compatible.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Overheating? On the PS2 slim? I've never heard of that issue before, but I have heard of people causing damage to their games by snapping/popping the games on and off the spindle in the system too quickly or too hard.

My one buddy and I played a marathon gaming session the one night on his slim PS2(10+ hours) and while the system did get warm/very warm it didn't even suffer a single graphical hiccup.

Now on the other hand if you're playing games that have a lot of videos and do a lot of streaming from the disc then I might see how it could possibly overheat. But the slims seem to be very well built machines by comparison to their fat model brethren.[/QUOTE]

Must have been some issue on the used PS2 slim I bought last year, it would overheat after playing an hour. Probably causing the destruction of my laser/lens, leading it to DRE

bread's done
Back