New PSP Owner

ChibiJosh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I know these sort of threads are done to death, but I finally got with the PSP (a 3000, by the way) party.
One question: do the disk drives normally make a bit of noise when loading?

I haven't really followed the PSP much because I never really felt the need to get one, but this Christmas, my brother said he was going to ask for one and wanted me to ask for one as well and I figured why not? So, l need some help with good games that are already out and any that are coming out in the next year.

I'm mostly an RPG fan, but I'll play most anything. I currently have Kenka Bancho, Valkyrie Profile, Persona, and Dissidia. I know I'm going to need to pick up the MGS game and probably Star Ocean 1 and 2. I'm really excited about the new MGS game and Princess Antiphona’s Hymn: Angel’s Score Op.A in the future. What else do I need?

Thanks!

final fantasy VII crisis core is a must
the grand theft auto games are ok
Daxter
ratchet and clank size matters
FFVII download from the playstation store
final fantasy tactics war of the lions? or something like that
jeanne d'arc is supposed to be pretty good, i havnt played it though
god of war: chains of olympus

if i think of any others i will let you know, and i know i didnt list all rpg's

thought of a few more

monster hunters freedom unite
prinny: can i really be a hero?
ultimate ghosts and goblins
little big planet
madden is very good on the psp (imo) if you like madden
rock band unplugged is decent if you like rock band

Gurumin. If only because your username has Chibi in it.

It's a rather fun, and incredibly cute action game, that you should be able to find very cheap as a used copy.

I'm a new PSP 3000 owner myself, and this is the first game I've played on the system.

Also, drive noise is normal. The sound is disconcertingly a lot like a 360 that is scraping and destroying disks, however it is totally benign.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']
little big planet
[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you brought that up because I was wondering about that. I have the PS3 version, and I enjoy it. Are the two versions completely different? I mean, level-wise, the PSP version isn't a port of the PS3 version, right?

[quote name='Gourd']Gurumin. If only because your username has Chibi in it.

It's a rather fun, and incredibly cute action game, that you should be able to find very cheap as a used copy.

I'm a new PSP 3000 owner myself, and this is the first game I've played on the system.

Also, drive noise is normal. The sound is disconcertingly a lot like a 360 that is scraping and destroying disks, however it is totally benign.[/QUOTE]

I checked out Gurumin online, it looks pretty cool. I hadn't heard of it before. Thanks.

I reccomend Monster Hunter Freedom Unite as well. Plus I'm also a new PSP owner as well. :D

But... since I'm a new PSP owner, I can't reccomend anything else really. :/

My favorite PSP titles are "Every Extend Extra"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGQEVpM0Xj0

and "Gitaroo Man Lives"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTHwUa_8Rso

The Sega Genesis Collection is handy for having a bunch of older titles on you, and it's one of the few games I'll recommend for Digital Download, especially since it's on sale right now.

Also, as an old-school music game dude I really enjoy Rock Band Unplugged. It reminds me of the days when music games didn't rely on ridiculous plastic instruments. (I weep for Space Channel 5)

Both Mega Man titles, "Mega Man Powered Up", and "Mega Man X: Maverick Hunter" are great. "MMPU" is a remake of the original Mega Man title on the NES and "MMX:MH" is a remake of the original Mega Man X game on the SNES.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']final fantasy VII crisis core is a must*[/QUOTE]

*If you like Final Fantasy VII and it's 100 billion spinoffs.

[quote name='CloudStrife']Agreed.[/QUOTE]

Sayeth the poster with a Final Fantasy VII-related Avatar and animated signature with a quote.

[quote name='maximumzero']*If you like Final Fantasy VII and it's 100 billion spinoffs.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CloudStrife']Agreed.[/QUOTE]

Sayeth the poster with a Final Fantasy VII-related Avatar and Animated Signature.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I reccomend Monster Hunter Freedom Unite as well. Plus I'm also a new PSP owner as well. :D

But... since I'm a new PSP owner, I can't reccomend anything else really. :/[/QUOTE]
I've heard a lot of buzz about those games.

[quote name='maximumzero']My favorite PSP titles are "Every Extend Extra"
[/QUOTE]
I forgot about this. Ordered!

[quote name='Banjora']The remake of Lunar: Silver Star Story is coming out February 2, titled Lunar: Silver Star Harmony.[/QUOTE]
I played the sequel, but never beat it (I got to the last boss, but didn't have enough healing items and I don't think you could leave the dungeon). I'll probably need to check this out.

hmm...riviera, yggdra union, disgaea 1 + 2, patapon 1 + 2, locoroco 1 + 2, half minute hero, badman (not sure of full title), maverick hunter x (megaman x remake), megaman powered up (megaman remake), final fantasy I + II, space invaders extreme...and more

I'll second EEE. Loco Roco, Patapon, Tekken DR for short bursts. Import wise don't forget about Breath of Fire III and DJ Max.

[quote name='maximumzero']Sayeth the poster with a Final Fantasy VII-related Avatar and animated signature with a quote.[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah your right maybe it was to be expected of me to say FFVII:CC.

Biased? :roll:

[quote name='CloudStrife']Haha, yeah your right maybe it was to be expected of me to say FFVII:CC.

Biased? :roll:[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, I think you would be biased when you have an avatar and game signature from a game series and then suggest that game series outright.

Truth be told if you don't care for Final Fantasy VII there's no reason to play the game.

I'm playing Gurumin right now and it's fun. I'd consider it more of an adventure game along the lines of Zelda though. Yes, you have hit points but the game focuses on action, basic platforming, and simple puzzles.

For RPG's, you must get Jeanne d'Arc and the Disgaeas. Both are simply sublime on the PSP and will give you hours upon hours of enjoyment.

Crisis Core and Brave Story are also good games to get into. Brave Story is average but serviceable if you're looking for a old school turn-based JRPG fix.

[quote name='maximumzero']*If you like Final Fantasy VII and it's 100 billion spinoffs.

[/QUOTE]
[quote name='maximumzero']

Truth be told if you don't care for Final Fantasy VII there's no reason to play the game.[/QUOTE]

well i was suggesting games to the op, not to everyone. and i said it was a must simply because he posted this: I'm mostly an RPG fan, but I'll play most anything. I currently have Kenka Bancho, Valkyrie Profile, Persona, and Dissidia

so going by the fact that he likes rpg's, and he bought disidia, i figured that was a must.

[quote name='depascal22']You don't have to be a FFVII fan to love Dissidia.[/QUOTE]
They're talking about Crisis Core, not Dissidia.

I'd even say that you don't have to be a FFVII fan to be a fan of Crisis Core. The stories are related but the gameplay is so different that you can be a fan of one and not the other.

I didn't like VII's gameplay at all but I really liked the story. To me, Crisis Core was an awesome sequel that actually made me want to go back and play VII. Surprisingly, I still couldn't get into VII.

Final Fantasy VII's combat is menu-based, so you only get to choose commands and is turn-based. Crisis Core is an action RPG where you get to run around freely during combat.

That's good to know. I tried to play VII recently, and the menu based play turned me off. I'll give Crisis Core a shot.

bread's done
Back