New Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles video up!

I got my ass royally kicked by RE:0. I made it to the part where you battle the giant centipede and just got stuck. I could never beat that thing and I don't even think it is supposed to be that hard.

I actually liked the game, but I thought it was harder than hell. Actually, the more I think about it, the only RE games I have actually beaten are Code Veronica and RE4.

I need to get REMake for the GC and play that...

[quote name='lebowsky']I got my ass royally kicked by RE:0. I made it to the part where you battle the giant centipede and just got stuck. I could never beat that thing and I don't even think it is supposed to be that hard.

I actually liked the game, but I thought it was harder than hell. Actually, the more I think about it, the only RE games I have actually beaten are Code Veronica and RE4.

I need to get REMake for the GC and play that...[/quote]Played RE:0 for about an hour, got used to the control scheme pretty quickly, but after I realized how shitty the save system was, and that I would either have to leave the game on pause for a day or replay the first hour of the game the next time I had free time, it was game over. At least with UC, I'll play through parts of all the games I didn't bother with. :D

[quote name='lebowsky']I need to get REMake for the GC and play that...[/QUOTE]

I thought REmake was harder than RE0, but that's just me, and I never finished either. :D The concept is cool and the visual execution is awesome. It's just the damn awkwardness of the controls and camera angles and the perilous limits on ammo in some sections. Guess I didn't have the patience to see it through.

[quote name='botticus']Played RE:0 for about an hour, got used to the control scheme pretty quickly, but after I realized how shitty the save system was, and that I would either have to leave the game on pause for a day or replay the first hour of the game the next time I had free time, it was game over. At least with UC, I'll play through parts of all the games I didn't bother with. :D[/quote]

The ribbon based save system has been the downfall of almost all of the pre-RE4 games. You are forced to play for a long-ass time to avoid using too many ribbons - then you die and lose all the progress you had made.

I know a lot of people piss and moan about the tank controls of the pre-RE4 games, but I understood why it was that way. If you had precise control of your character, the game would be too easy. I can't give Capcom a break on the save sytem, however. With tank controls and limited ammo, the games are hard enough as it is. You don't need to add another level of frustration with those damn typewriter ribbons.

[quote name='lebowsky']The ribbon based save system has been the downfall of almost all of the pre-RE4 games. You are forced to play for a long-ass time to avoid using too many ribbons - then you die and lose all the progress you had made.

I know a lot of people piss and moan about the tank controls of the pre-RE4 games, but I understood why it was that way. If you had precise control of your character, the game would be too easy. I can't give Capcom a break on the save sytem, however. With tank controls and limited ammo, the games are hard enough as it is. You don't need to add another level of frustration with those damn typewriter ribbons.[/QUOTE]

Those ribbons are one of the reasons I won't pick up my old RE games again. Thinking back I don't see how they added to the games in any way other than increasing the difficulty in a cheap, unimaginative way. I guess they figured that we didn't have enough crap to manage in our inventory.

[quote name='Scrubking']Those ribbons are one of the reasons I won't pick up my old RE games again. Thinking back I don't see how they added to the games in any way other than increasing the difficulty in a cheap, unimaginative way. I guess they figured that we didn't have enough crap to manage in our inventory.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think it's so you don't do what I did as I played through another famously scary game, Undying, which is quicksave every three feet. It takes much of the terror out to save every time you do anything because you're so afraid something is going to jump out at you and you'll wind up wasting three precious bullets with your panic fire.

What was that name of RE light gun game on PSX?

Wait, RE Survivor?

I JUST remembered that game. Ahh PSX.

box_104598.jpg

re_gs_6.jpg

re_gs_2.jpg

Why is everyone so obsessed with Wesker? Who gives a shit about him. In almost every RE game, everyone asks what is he up to. I say, who cares.

[quote name='dallow']What was that name of RE light gun game on PSX?

Wait, RE Survivor?

I JUST remembered that game. Ahh PSX.

box_104598.jpg

re_gs_6.jpg

re_gs_2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Looks like the Wii version :rofl:

Yea, cmon, SOMEONE had to do it, right?

RE0 wasn't a terrible game, it really wasn't. The only problem was the story was RIDICULOUSLY STUPID. That game is the epitome of why prequels shouldn't exist.

Also, since someone mentioned him, I love how suddenly Wesker has become the main antagonist of the series. I hadn't even realized it until I played Code Veronica X about a year ago with that nice shiny new Wesker ending. A bit surprising for those of use who just played CV when it first came out (DC FTW). Either way, I guess we're stuck with him.

In terms of UC, I'm much more interested to see RE2, Nemesis, and CV. (EDIT- ah, upon poking around, I've discovered that CV isn't in this one, a fact which I was previously unaware of. Whoops.)

[quote name='trq']Well, I think it's so you don't do what I did as I played through another famously scary game, Undying, which is quicksave every three feet. It takes much of the terror out to save every time you do anything because you're so afraid something is going to jump out at you and you'll wind up wasting three precious bullets with your panic fire.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thats true but easily solvable by keeping the typewriters but not requiring the ribbons.

Felt the ribbons made the game too hard?

F'ing wimps.

Again, it wasn't that it was hard. It's the fact that is was cheap. Like when fighting games give you bosses with ultra cheap moves isntead of giving them better ai or balance.

Anyway, when are we going to get a damn gun peripheral?

thumb_VWIOT002400_04_L.jpg

[quote name='dallow']Felt the ribbons made the game too hard?

F'ing wimps.[/QUOTE]
I didn't mind it back then, when I had all the time in the world to play. But now its such a chore and we're spoiled.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I didn't mind it back then, when I had all the time in the world to play. But now its such a chore and we're spoiled.[/quote]

Ha, that's the response I was looking for.
Sorry Scrubking.

This is my favorite game franchise, which is why I'm embarrassed to say I've only beaten two Resident Evil games (RE4 and Outbreak).

I have RE4, Outbreak, remake, Zero, and DS.

- I'm stuck on the knife battle with the snake in DS. How the hell are you supposed to beat that?
- In Zero, I'm stuck with NO ammo, NO health (one hit left), and I saved just before a boss battle. That's what I get for thinking I could beat the game on hard. I'm starting over with Zero.
- The first time I played the remake I made it to the introduction of the Hunters, then my brother accidentally put my memory card in a Blockbuster box and returned it to the store. So I played through it again, up until the first snake battle; then my game got caught in some sort of glitch. It promted me to throw away a certain key, so I did. Then when I tried to get into the snake room, it said I needed the key that I had just thrown away, so there was no way to advance. So I started playing it AGAIN, and this time, my brother's friend took my card home by mistake. He thought it was his card and he had no idea why there was RE data on it, so he deleted it.

At that point I just gave up with the remake. Some higher power obviously doesn't want me to finish it.

As for the controls, camera angles, and save system, I love it all. Not knowing what you might have to endure on your trek back to a typewriter makes the game so much scarier, as do the cinematic camera angles. I don't know why I like the controls so much though...

I have RE0, REmake, and RE4, the farthest i ever played was in RE4, just past the bridge to the castle, RE0 and REmake were way too hard for me, though i enjoyed the time i spent with them, the difficulty was just insane

[quote name='d00k']This is my favorite game franchise, which is why I'm embarrassed to say I've only beaten two Resident Evil games (RE4 and Outbreak).

I have RE4, Outbreak, remake, Zero, and DS.

- I'm stuck on the knife battle with the snake in DS. How the hell are you supposed to beat that?
- In Zero, I'm stuck with NO ammo, NO health (one hit left), and I saved just before a boss battle. That's what I get for thinking I could beat the game on hard. I'm starting over with Zero.
- The first time I played the remake I made it to the introduction of the Hunters, then my brother accidentally put my memory card in a Blockbuster box and returned it to the store. So I played through it again, up until the first snake battle; then my game got caught in some sort of glitch. It promted me to throw away a certain key, so I did. Then when I tried to get into the snake room, it said I needed the key that I had just thrown away, so there was no way to advance. So I started playing it AGAIN, and this time, my brother's friend took my card home by mistake. He thought it was his card and he had no idea why there was RE data on it, so he deleted it.

At that point I just gave up with the remake. Some higher power obviously doesn't want me to finish it.

As for the controls, camera angles, and save system, I love it all. Not knowing what you might have to endure on your trek back to a typewriter makes the game so much scarier, as do the cinematic camera angles. I don't know why I like the controls so much though...[/quote]

Play it again. The time is right my son.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Play it again. The time is right my son.[/quote]

I will. As soon as I beat Zero. This will all move a lot faster once summer finally gets here.

[quote name='d00k']I will. As soon as I beat Zero. This will all move a lot faster once summer finally gets here.[/quote]

Have you played the one for PSX? I still say REmake is the scariest game ever made.

I must be the second person. I loved RE0. Anyway, I'm excited for this game. My only concern is whether or not there's any depth to it since that is the number one flaw of any light gun game. I'm hoping this is more than that and that those additional gameplay elements are pulled off well.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Have you played the one for PSX?[/quote]

No, I've never even seen a PSX...

[quote name='Zen Davis']I still say REmake is the scariest game ever made.[/quote]

At the moment I agree with you, but I officially start playing my first Silent Hill game tommorrow (2). I'll see how I feel after that.

[quote name='Chacrana']I must be the second person. I loved RE0. Anyway, I'm excited for this game. My only concern is whether or not there's any depth to it since that is the number one flaw of any light gun game. I'm hoping this is more than that and that those additional gameplay elements are pulled off well.[/quote]I though RE0 was good, even though I only got so far in it (lets put it this way, I didn't like it as much as 2 or Code Veronica and it was another RE game in the same style with no real changes to it so I got tired of it). I do agree about the depth part of the game, I am kinda weary about picking this up becuse I too am afraid this game will lack depth and length to it. I don't want to spend $50 on a 4 hour light gun game. I mean atleast in the classic resident evils you were solving interesting puzzles that added to the fun and length. I am glad they are going back to classic RE style because while I loved 4, the classic games just have something to them that no other game could re create.

[quote name='d00k']No, I've never even seen a PSX...

At the moment I agree with you, but I officially start playing my first Silent Hill game tommorrow (2). I'll see how I feel after that.[/QUOTE]

You know, I would've said that FEAR or Silent Hill were the scariest games ever, but I spent some time playing REmake on an HDTV with good surround sound, and it's an experience. The ambient noises make this game. It's immersing and scary as fuck when you have the proper setup for it.

I never played any of the RE's on the PSX. RE4 prompted me to gathering all of the RE games. So I got Remake, 2, 3, Code Veronica, and 0 for the Cube. I also picked up RE1 for the DS. I wanted to try the original and the new touch screen stuff. So I beat 4 and then 1 on the DS. I went into 1 knowing about the tank controls and all and I loved it. I have to get around to playing the others now. I'm looking foward to this but as others have said I wonder how deep it will be. This might be a pick up somewhere down the road rather than right away. It doesn't help I have all the others to finish!

[quote name='Zen Davis']Have you played the one for PSX? I still say REmake is the scariest game ever made.[/QUOTE]
Is it much different from the original RE? I don't play much horror games but Eternal Darkness with the hallucenations (or that part where you just walk up to the bathtub) and I think Clock Tower 3 had their insanely scary moments. Clock Tower just made me feel so much more vunerable cause you played as a teen girl and couldn't really fight back.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Is it much different from the original RE? I don't play much horror games but Eternal Darkness with the hallucenations (or that part where you just walk up to the bathtub) and I think Clock Tower 3 had their insanely scary moments. Clock Tower just made me feel so much more vunerable cause you played as a teen girl and couldn't really fight back.[/quote]
Difference is one looks like heaven, and the other looks like pixelated crap with rendered backgrounds.
(note, i still have fond memories of that pixelated mess, and would still play it, one of my favorite gaming memories was playing this game on PSX)

RE:
1_G.sized.jpg

REmake:
biohazard_032702_22.jpg

I played a bit of REmake and found it incredibly dull. The only thing I liked about it was Jill's butt.

What?

Also, given that I STILL play Time Crisis 2, 3, and Vampire Night on my Ps2, and I've had them for a year, UC is gonna be tough to unsell me on.

If they throw in Jill's butt, it may be a Day 1 buy.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I played a bit of REmake and found it incredibly dull. The only thing I liked about it was Jill's butt.

What?[/quote]

High five!

[quote name='CouRageouS']Is it much different from the original RE? I don't play much horror games but Eternal Darkness with the hallucenations (or that part where you just walk up to the bathtub) and I think Clock Tower 3 had their insanely scary moments. Clock Tower just made me feel so much more vunerable cause you played as a teen girl and couldn't really fight back.[/quote]

It's A LOT harder. It's not nearly as campy and as a result, far more terrifying than the first version, especially when the Crimson Zombies start popping up. The experience feels like an overload of what made the first one good. Since ammunition and health is so much more scarce, the enemies are much harder to kill, and because of the save slot system, you feel much more vulnerable compared to the first game. The game is pure atmosphere.

I prefer it to Eternal Darkness, because I personally didn't find ED that scary (it just fucked with your head), and the only great part of Clock Tower 3 was the opening chapter where the young kid got her head smashed in. In addition, the graphics for REmake are beautiful. They are prerendered as well, but are still amazing and hold up today.

sharks001.jpg

biohazardfin30.jpg

[quote name='CouRageouS']Is it much different from the original RE? I don't play much horror games but Eternal Darkness with the hallucenations (or that part where you just walk up to the bathtub) and I think Clock Tower 3 had their insanely scary moments. Clock Tower just made me feel so much more vunerable cause you played as a teen girl and couldn't really fight back.[/QUOTE]

You should try and play either the original Clock Tower or Haunting Ground. Clock Tower 3 was nowhere near as good as the other Clock Tower games in my opinion.

I could never get out fo the first part of Clock Tower... Then i sold it well before it became a cult like hit it is now..

Anyway.

See, the challenge was so much of the thrill in the first RE, which was my first game on my near-launch PS1. I didn't even know what the game was really about, but it looked bad ass and was by capcom. I didn't even have a memory card so I couldn't save for the first couple of weeks, no online help...that was awesome.

Somewhere along the way it got tedious...maybe with the third game.

This new Umbrella Chronicles looks awesome...but don't tell me it's yet another REmake?!? This one though looks like a first person shooter - is it like RE Dead Aim or whatever it was called? It looks like it will be pretty damn fun with the wiimote

[quote name='Chacrana']I spent some time playing REmake on an HDTV with good surround sound, and it's an experience. The ambient noises make this game. It's immersing and scary as fuck when you have the proper setup for it.[/quote]
Did you play it in 480p? I play Cube RE games on the Wii with component cables and they still only display in 480i.

[quote name='Zen Davis']It's not nearly as campy and as a result, far more terrifying than the first version, especially when the Crimson Zombies start popping up. [/quote]
Those things are some of the scariest game monsters I've ever encountered. They sound so horrifying. My heart always jumped into my throat whenever I'd enter a room with a strange camera angle and all I could hear was "BHAAAHG" and the sound of running footsteps. Even the way they get up scares the shit out of me.

(Video of one waking up. It's at the very end).

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=sBZgAIvClRs[/media]

[quote name='d00k']Did you play it in 480p? I play Cube RE games on the Wii with component cables and they still only display in 480i.[/quote]
You have to hold the "B Button" when the game starts to get it to load up in 480p. Errr... for RE4 that is.

Those things are some of the scariest game monsters I've ever encountered. They sound so horrifying. My heart always jumped into my throat whenever I'd enter a room with a strange camera angle and all I could hear was "BHAAAHG" and the sound of running footsteps.
I f'n HATED those running footsteps. When you hear them, you know it's time to move your ass.

I don't think REmake had a progressive scan mode, but it still looked amazing. And really, while the crimson heads are scary as fuck, what really got me was all the creaking sounds and the footsteps outside when I tried the game on my sound setup. All those subtle things really add up.

[quote name='Zen Davis']You have to hold the "B Button" when the game starts to get it to load up in 480p. Errr... for RE4 that is.

I f'n HATED those running footsteps. When you hear them, you know it's time to move your ass.[/quote]

Does the B button thing go for all RE games? That's kinda dumb, why don't they just have an option or something?

Everytime I heard those footsteps coming toward me, I seriously just started to panic. I hate that feeling of something that you can't see coming at you.

[quote name='d00k']- I'm stuck on the knife battle with the snake in DS. How the hell are you supposed to beat that?[/quote]Heh. The snake fight in the bonus run through (to open up the other characters for multi card play) is even tougher. You have to get the pattern down, same as most every other boss type fight in the world of gaming. As his prepares to lunge towards you, knife him. Repeatedly if you can. Be prepared, Yawn will sometimes double or triple lunge you so keep the stylus prepared to knife him.

Definately start over. And do multiple saves. Two saves on one file, then switch and save on another file. This way if you block yourself into this same scenario, you don't have to start over completely. You just lose an hour or so of play.

So I played through it again, up until the first snake battle; then my game got caught in some sort of glitch. It promted me to throw away a certain key, so I did. Then when I tried to get into the snake room, it said I needed the key that I had just thrown away, so there was no way to advance.
Actually the key before Yawn (I forget which key that is) is only used once, I believe. You might not have found it yet. But that seems to be moot at this point anyway.

When that's the case, go with it. But that is too bad in this case because REmake has some nice added material. And it's a great game even if you haven't played the original or RE DC.

I have the same kind of sadness over REmake as I do for RE4. Namely, that I've already played it. They are the kind of game that your first time playing through is a great experience. After that, you know where you're going, you know what's coming up. And you've probably unlocked a weapon or ammo bonus or something to make it much less challanging. That edge, coupled with no longer facing an un-known... it's never the same.

As for the controls, camera angles, and save system, I love it all. Not knowing what you might have to endure on your trek back to a typewriter makes the game so much scarier, as do the cinematic camera angles. I don't know why I like the controls so much though...
preach it, brother. I like the tank controls and the static camera angles as well. RE4 changed things with Leon's case/storage box, but I did wind up liking having a very blindside at all times. Nothing like thinking you've got the Ganados under control, and then being blindsided by a hoarde you had no idea were coming up on your side.

Captain Luffy, you just HAD to post that picture of Neptune, didn't you? =P Of all the things in the game... I have a phobia of large fish/sharks/whales and I kid you not, it took me 45 minutes to get Jill to walk around Neptune to the control panel thingy. My younger brother (who had been watching as I played through the game) got fed up and left after 10 minutes. Yeah, it's a game. Yes, it's fake. But fear is fear and that scared the crap out of me.

Same brother recently got his revenge on me when I was fooling around playing through RE4 again. Leon's about to get in the little motor boat, and he tells me to shoot the lake by the pier. I don't get angry all that often, but that was a low down dirty trick to play on someone when they have a fear of something.

[quote name='Chacrana']And really, while the crimson heads are scary as fuck, what really got me was all the creaking sounds and the footsteps outside when I tried the game on my sound setup.[/quote]The best Crimson moment for me was seeing a door, or rather the lack OF a door in the east hallway. I'm just going along and then it occurs to me, "hey what happened to the do- AAAAghh!!!"

And put a sweater on.

Guess I should comment on the video. Looks fun. Wish they hadn't gone with the RE4 model/skin of Wesker. He looks too small. And sort of like David Bowie.

I just hope they don't use Richard Waugh as the VA for him. urf. Peter Jessop did a low-key, but excellent job as his voice in REmake. Then they went to Richard Waugh who gives Albert a ham-fisted performance, and takes away any credibility as a legitimate villian. "time to die, DOCtor." The stories get bad enough. :roll:

Speaking of Wesker, does anyone know if Krauser is supposed to have been infected with las plagas parasite, or actually given a t-virus (or t-v virus) by Wesker? Because the plagas bosses were um... completely transformed and Krausers transformation was localized in his arm, along with his enhanced strength and speed. Which to me, seemed more like the characteristics of the TV-virus as evidenced by the fight with Wesker in CV.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Its an on-rails shooter with scenarios/levels from throughout the whole RE series.[/quote]

Ahh that's good, I thought from the trailer it was just a on-rails remake of Resi 0 and Resi 1.

I had never played a RE game much until REmake, just couldn't get over the tank controls. Glad I did, that is one cool game.

Is it true that Lisa wasn't in the original one? Do you still go to the cabin? That place was scary, especially after what happens when you go to leave.

My scariest moment was after I beat it; I was playing through it again and that one dangerous zombie guy runs up to me strapped full of grenades. I knew there was something different about him, but didn't see the grenades on him the first time and of course my first instinct was to shoot him. BOOM!

bread's done
Back