New rules for video game sales on eBay -- Any one see this?

The only good thing I can see coming out of this is sellers no longer listing used games as new. The ones that say new, only played once. Or new, the shrinkwrap was just removed.

I don't think this will have that big of an effect really. It just will allow people to narrow down search results a bit more. And like YoshiFan1 said, it means sellers can no longer list something that was opened and played as New. I always hated that.

How exactly is this going to open a huge can of worms? If anything, it provides for a more accurate description of new and used.

[quote name='mtxbass1']How exactly is this going to open a huge can of worms? If anything, it provides for a more accurate description of new and used.[/quote]
Exactly. I was wondering the same thing. This doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

Here's the scenario I was thinking of : A seller wants to list a slightly used copy of a game with no scratches on the disc that he could see..he lists the game as "like new" instead of taking the default "acceptable" rating to get a little more for the game. Along comes an anal buyer and once he gets the game claims he sees wispy scratches on the disc and files a "not as described claim" and gives negative feedback to the seller....rinse...repeat..again and again....That's a can of worms in my book.

[quote name='eaglebeak']Here's the scenario I was thinking of : A seller wants to list a slightly used copy of a game with no scratches on the disc that he could see..he lists the game as "like new" instead of taking the default "acceptable" rating to get a little more for the game. Along comes an anal buyer and once he gets the game claims he sees wispy scratches on the disc and files a "not as described claim" and gives negative feedback to the seller....rinse...repeat..again and again....That's a can of worms in my book.[/quote]
That could already happen based on item descriptions in the auction itself. That's nothing new at all. It already happens, it will continue happening.

[quote name='YodaEXE']That could already happen based on item descriptions in the auction itself. That's nothing new at all. It already happens, it will continue happening.[/QUOTE]

I think it gives them more of a basis to do it, though, now with the new rules.

If it was opened and played, even once it's used.
If it is like new, with no scratches or sign of usage, put it in the description.

I also think that this is going to create problems. I dislike selling comics on eBay because no matter what condition I say they're in buyers always nitpick even though I believe I described them perfectly. I'm afraid the same thing will happen with disks now.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']The only good thing I can see coming out of this is sellers no longer listing used games as new. The ones that say new, only played once. Or new, the shrinkwrap was just removed.[/QUOTE]

I honestly think that people who've done that before will continue to do it. They'll just say it's in "brand new" condition even though it's not brand new.

My buddy's already had a couple auctions pulled for listing discs as "like new". He wasn't making any outrageous claims like it was sealed or something, just that the games were in pretty mint condition and played only once or twice before. It's not that big of a deal, you just have to be a little more careful in your wording than before.

For the kind of price-points you get on eBay, it's not really that big of a hassle to be more selective in terms of word-choice.

[quote name='thelazyone22']My buddy's already had a couple auctions pulled for listing discs as "like new". He wasn't making any outrageous claims like it was sealed or something, just that the games were in pretty mint condition and played only once or twice before. It's not that big of a deal, you just have to be a little more careful in your wording than before.

For the kind of price-points you get on eBay, it's not really that big of a hassle to be more selective in terms of word-choice.[/QUOTE]

They pull those because you're not allowed to put new in the title in any form (like new, as new, etc.) unless you're selling something that's "brand new". It's basically because buyers are too stupid to figure it out by actually reading the auction description or use the filter.

[quote name='Vinny']They pull those because you're not allowed to put new in the title in any form (like new, as new, etc.) unless you're selling something that's "brand new". It's basically because buyers are too stupid to figure it out by actually reading the auction description or use the filter.[/quote]

Yeah, exactly.

Doesn't matter, he lost a couple bucks on listing fees (there should be a grace period while the rules settle in, i.e. free relistings), relisted anyway, and moved on. Just gotta be a little more careful in the future.

the putting "like new" in the discription has been around for awhile. It hasn't just started.. Ebay doens't like any used games to have new in the title for a coupld of years now. So your buddy was in the wrong, but not becuase of the new listing rule.

[quote name='mtxbass1']How exactly is this going to open a huge can of worms? If anything, it provides for a more accurate description of new and used.[/quote]
Agreed.
If it's not new, it's not new:applause:

they're finally using it on ebay. This is what half.com has been using. I think it's a good change, though sellers still might list their game in better condition than it really is.

[quote name='KSHLove']though sellers still might list their game in better condition than it really is.[/quote]

Kind of like some people on CAG. :)

~HotShotX

bread's done
Back