New sega dreamcast $89.99 after $10 off coupon.

Dreamcast was a much better system than people made it out to be.

Not sure why it's reputation got beat down so bad I personally loved it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bvharris']Wasn't there an issue with some of the last batch of thinkgeek new DCs not being exactly new? Or was that Amazon?[/QUOTE]

I'm very interested to know more about this.

[quote name='bvharris']Wasn't there an issue with some of the last batch of thinkgeek new DCs not being exactly new? Or was that Amazon?[/QUOTE]Not sure, but it could possibly be Thinkgeek. The product page has a notice on there that says "they do their best" to make sure you get a new and unopened one. If you do happen to get one that's in bad condition though, just contact them and they'll ship you out another one.

[quote name='devoe']Dreamcast was a much better system then people made it out to be.

Not sure why it's reputation got beat down so bad I personally loved it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure who you think is hating on the Dreamcast, I think you'll find that most gamers remember the console very fondly. I know I do.

[quote name='devoe']Dreamcast was a much better system then people made it out to be.

Not sure why it's reputation got beat down so bad I personally loved it.[/QUOTE]

Than not then.

I dont think it gets a bad reputation now. In fact I think most people remember it being better than it was. It was a great console with all the potential in the world, just didnt have the titles to back it up. Sure it had a few fun games, no must have titles though. Sega seems to cater more towards the arcade fans than to the home console fans and that is partly why it never took off. Its sad that still to this day Sega cant grasp how to animate human actions yet. Maybe the gravity is different in Japan so everyone floats around.

I think if everyone who has been buying the new DC for ~$100 today was willing to do so 10 years ago maybe it would have been able to get more 3rd party exclusives and stayed alive. I got my DC for free with purchase of a game. Times have changed I guess.

Many would be surprised to know that the Dreamcast really didn't fail in the traditional sense... it was simply killed off by Sega too early.

The Dreamcast has the distinction of being one of the biggest console launches of all time, selling a crapton of units in the first week alone. Sales were hit a bit hard by the announcement of the PS2, but they were respectable.

Sega killed the Dreamcast, because there were firm sales expectations. They had to sell a certain number of units by the end of the year, or face the chopping block. That sales goal was unrealistic, and so the console was killed just over a year and a half into its life cycle.

It's really sad, actually. The games were fantastic, and some features were ahead of their time. I miss the crap out of the Dreamcast.

[quote name='musha666']Than not then.

I dont think it gets a bad reputation now. In fact I think most people remember it being better than it was. It was a great console with all the potential in the world, just didnt have the titles to back it up. Sure it had a few fun games, no must have titles though. Sega seems to cater more towards the arcade fans than to the home console fans and that is partly why it never took off. Its sad that still to this day Sega cant grasp how to animate human actions yet. Maybe the gravity is different in Japan so everyone floats around.
[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends how you define "must have". Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, and Skies of Arcadia are just three that pop into my head as "must have" titles for that system. Phantasy Star Online at the time too, though obviously it wouldn't hold up as well today.

It sold well in Japan, where it was released almost a year earlier than North America. It took so long for games to be translated or re-voiced, that by the time of release, many people decided to hold out till PS2. But in Japan, the console had huge success, particularly on the support of the fighting games alone.

I still have mine, keeping it more for fondness, since It doesn't get played much anymore.

Can anyone list some exclusive DC games? I might want to get this, but there's no point if I can just get those games on other systems (I have Skies of Arcadia Legends on gamecube).

[quote name='Arcturiang']Can anyone list some exclusive DC games? I might want to get this, but there's no point if I can just get those games on other systems (I have Skies of Arcadia Legends on gamecube).[/QUOTE]

Shenmue
Jet Grind Radio
Soul Calibur (this is now on XBLA, but oh well)

Just to get the ball rolling. Some other great games like Skies of Arcadia or Grandia II got ports, but were intended to be played with the VMU in my eyes (Skies was anyway).

Also, because sega chose not to use a dvd player, people were buying a ps2 simply for dvd also, looks like sony did the same thing again releasing it later with new technology (Blu-ray) eexcept things werent nearly as favorable for sony this time.

Enjoyed this documentary "per-say"

[media]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3NfgF08EQE
[/media]

Makes me want to play mine right now, I've never experienced the great games however i have them...

[quote name='Arcturiang']Can anyone list some exclusive DC games? I might want to get this, but there's no point if I can just get those games on other systems (I have Skies of Arcadia Legends on gamecube).[/QUOTE]

Illbleed, Gundam 0079, Cannon Spike, Tech Romancer and on and on ...

[quote name='zsciaeount']Many would be surprised to know that the Dreamcast really didn't fail in the traditional sense... it was simply killed off by Sega too early.

The Dreamcast has the distinction of being one of the biggest console launches of all time, selling a crapton of units in the first week alone. Sales were hit a bit hard by the announcement of the PS2, but they were respectable.

Sega killed the Dreamcast, because there were firm sales expectations. They had to sell a certain number of units by the end of the year, or face the chopping block. That sales goal was unrealistic, and so the console was killed just over a year and a half into its life cycle.

It's really sad, actually. The games were fantastic, and some features were ahead of their time. I miss the crap out of the Dreamcast.[/QUOTE]

This is not correct. While Sega did have sales goals, they actually continued to market and sell the console for almost three years despite very heavy losses. It was simply the fact that the PS2 vastly outsold the Dreamcast in 2001 in both the US and in Japan that killed it. Developers and Sega itself needed a large install base to make money off hardware and software. The critical mass just never came together and rather than continuing to lose large amounts of money, Sega had to stop the bleeding.

[quote name='bvharris']Wasn't there an issue with some of the last batch of thinkgeek new DCs not being exactly new? Or was that Amazon?[/QUOTE]

My brother ordered one from estarland that was advertised as "new". It had a dead internal battery and it looked like someone's ink pen exploded on the top in a small spot. They took it back as a return though, so I suppose they made good. There were also issues with the ordering process as well, it was just a goofy transaction all around.

Just depends on how you look at it. I have several used dreamcast systems and 1 new one. I'm happier with the one I puchased new than all the used ones put together. Just nothing like that new console smell.

[quote name='Funkenstein91']It's really not worth playing $90 for a new Dreamcast. You can generally find used ones for $20 in stores.[/QUOTE]

Thats what Ive been saying forever. Go to any pawn shop and you can get one for 20 bucks. These are very reliable consoles used or not. Paying close to 90 dollars is ridiculous.

Or check out Craigslist. Looking now, I have about 5 ads in my area over the last few days, and one of them is $20 for a working console, two controllers, and four games (three sports titles and Soul Caliber). Don't see the point in spending $90 for this when much, much cheaper options are available used.

you guys don't understand some people are freaks like me and would love Brand New in box Dreamcast even if i already have 3 loose consoles.

I always point out that for every person that says that the DC is the most reliable console ever, there's another (me) who had both his original launch console AND two used ones crap out on them.

So, yeah, I'm more than willing to pay $90 for a brand new DC than keep rolling the dice on used ones.

Just a heads up for those that are interested, I got mine from FedEx today. Looks good and is sealed. here are a few pictures from my phone:

3663521804_2b57ce50b3_o.jpg

3662719123_cee258c267_o.jpg

[quote name='007']I always point out that for every person that says that the DC is the most reliable console ever, there's another (me) who had both his original launch console AND two used ones crap out on them.

So, yeah, I'm more than willing to pay $90 for a brand new DC than keep rolling the dice on used ones.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. Once these are back in stock (still showing OOS on the site), I may pull the trigger on a DC. Hopefully I'll get a sports version, at least that way, it'll come with a few games.

To my suprise, I actually received my Dreamcast today. Upon inspecting my box, which looked to be in pretty good condition, I noticed a QA passed sticker on both ends of the box. However when I opened it, it was missing the A/V Cables, phone cord and Power cable. Everything else was included...The unit (still sealed in it's bag), a controller (also sealed and wire tied), instruction manuals, and 3 games (This must be the sports edition). I already have a tempermental Dreamcast hooked up, so I plugged the unit into those cables and it worked flawlessly (So nice to play MvC2, without it sounding like a blender, again). I have an email to Customer Service and I am awaiting a response. I'll post an update.

bread's done
Back