New Smashing Pumpkins Single "Tarantula" - New Album Out 7/10 !!!!

argyle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
124 (100%)
I heard the new Pumpkins single on my way home from work today. DJ said they had just gotten it in today. The song's called "Tarantula", and to put it bluntly it kicks ass. Old-school rock-out Pumpkins. This is what I've been missing since the Pumpkins broke up!

So am I the only one psyched for the new album?

BTW, here is a link to the new single - I got this from the Pumpkins official My Space page, so I'm assuming it's ok to post - if not, lmk:

http://rapidshare.com/files/32112430/01_Tarantula.mp3.html

And here's a link to the official SP page, that has a pick of the cover art for the new album (titled Zeitgeist):

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/

"Tarantula" is not up on the official Smashing Pumpkins Myspace page (www.myspace.com/smashingpumpkins).

I love how it sounds like the old Pumpkins though

//edit: oh you found it in the comments

//doubleedit: god this song ROCKS

//tripleedit: The album is out 7/7/07 at 7am... or at least it was supposed to be. oh well

I guess I will have to buy one album this year then.

Wonder if they are any better live this time around, they are playing like 2 weeks at the Filmore. I should probably go see them at least one of those nights to see if they are any better than the other times I had seen em.

I do agree that Tarantula is pretty good.

And is it a crime to have liked Zwan?

/favorite song is still muzzle.

I don't know what to think of the new single really. I like it, and I'll still buy the album, but something just sounds...off. I don't know what it is, but it sounds like its just missing something and I can't really figure what it is.

I've been a huge Pumpkins fan since Gish so I am pretty psyched for the album. I'm going to go listen to tarantula while I mow my lawn.

whooo~!! Pumpkins always been nice, one of the only rock bands I really got into.

thanx!! lookin forward to it!

[quote name='Dandeschain']Hey the new tune ain't half bad. sounds like a Mellon Collie track production wise.[/QUOTE]

Has a raw sound to it that I really like, but still displays the Pumpkins' trademark intricate guitar work and Jimmy's drum skills. It actually reminds me a little of some of the MACHINA 2 stuff, like Glass or White Spider.

I'm psyched. A little bummed that James isn't a part of this, but Billy really was 90% of the band all along anyway, so this should still be good music.

I don't know why Zwan never took off, I thought they had a few good songs, but perhaps Billy's heart just wasn't into that project.

Let's just forget about the Future Embrace...

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']I'm psyched. A little bummed that James isn't a part of this, but Billy really was 90% of the band all along anyway, so this should still be good music.

I don't know why Zwan never took off, I thought they had a few good songs, but perhaps Billy's heart just wasn't into that project.

Let's just forget about the Future Embrace...[/QUOTE]

The Zwan album is pretty good imo. A bit mellow, perhaps, but still has some great songs. From the interviews I read w/ Billy afterwards tho, it seems he & Jimmy were the only ones in that band that took it seriously, so it just kinda fell apart. From my understanding, the band was pretty much dead by the time the album released.

Hey guys, I went on Itunes looking for the new song and while i was on there i noticed that they had a "Rarities and B-Sides" album for sale: $9.99 for 114 songs! I don't know if this is a mistake or not, but I couldn't pass it up!

So far, Enjoying the Album,
Picked it up @ target, the target exclusive track (Zeitgeist) is pretty good, in a mellow way, a little mellon collie, solo guitar/vocal

Anyone get it @ bestbuy for their bonus track? wondering how that one compares?

[quote name='jonlubbe']So far, Enjoying the Album,
Picked it up @ target, the target exclusive track (Zeitgeist) is pretty good, in a mellow way, a little mellon collie, solo guitar/vocal

Anyone get it @ bestbuy for their bonus track? wondering how that one compares?[/quote]

I was too, but I think Target was the way to go here. If not for the track, then for the fact that BB sucks.

The album is decent so far, but the liner notes made me giggle.

"performed artfully by JIMMY CHAMBERLIN: DRUMS / BILLY CORGAN: ALL THE REST"

It's a Corgan solo album with a tag that will move units.

I've never been a HUGE fan of the Pumpkins, but I generally liked most of their singles and have always found Billy Corgan to be an interesting dude. I'm the only person I know of that really enjoyed his solo disc. What's not to love about Billy Corgan and Robert Smith covering the Bee Gees?

Also thought most of Adore was brilliant, as was "Eye" (their contribution to the Lost Highway soundtrack).

I did pick up Zeitgeist. It's alright...sort of a gift to people who think alt-rock peaked in 1994. Nothing really groundbreaking or challenging, just some by-the-numbers rockers, IMO. The first half is really catchy; the backend sort of putters off.

Even though I had low expectations I still think I was expecting more.

I bought this cd last week and haven't been able to get into it. I was a big Pumpkins fan. This just doesn't have the melody I expect from them (not just the softer songs, but also the harder).

bread's done
Back