New Super Mario Bros. 2 (August 2012)

Was thinking about picking this up, looks like its good but I have super mario 3D land to finish up. Ill wait for a price drop on this thanks CAGS /]

Okay, I'm prepared to eat my words. After seeing more of NSMBU earlier today, it looks much closer to what I'm looking for.

Is there anything to collecting the coins besides the 1mil and 9.999999 mil?

I mean really who is going to play it to collect that many hours...

I guess the same people who played final fantasy 4/2 us (whatever it is) to lvl all players to lvl 99. I lvled all except rydia to 99 then my college roomate deleted my save file ...... fuck I was so pissed.

[quote name='ebucel']Is there anything to collecting the coins besides the 1mil and 9.999999 mil?

I mean really who is going to play it to collect that many hours...

I guess the same people who played final fantasy 4/2 us (whatever it is) to lvl all players to lvl 99. I lvled all except rydia to 99 then my college roomate deleted my save file ...... fuck I was so pissed.[/QUOTE]

Just the title screen changes. They are stretch goals for the completists.

[quote name='Mixer236']Okay, I'm prepared to eat my words. After seeing more of NSMBU earlier today, it looks much closer to what I'm looking for.[/QUOTE]

U or 2? I'd say yeah, U does look a lot better. The backgrounds look awesome. And I imagine the last level or world being Peach's Castle and a pseudo homage to both Super Mario World's last level and Super Mario 64.

As for 2, I'm up to 200,000 Coins at the moment. I'm going to try and get 10-20k a day and pace it out.

Beat the main game 100% tonight, got my 5 shining stars by the save file. All in all I'm happy enough with the game it's not the greatest Mario game ever, but was definitely enjoyable. I'm also around 200k in coins and am going to do the same strategy of 10-20k a day or so in coin rush. For that fact I'm glad I got the downloadable version, pop it in for a few minutes without screwing with carts.

Just finished the game today, and it's a disappointment for me.
However, at first try it's a disappointment, then it GROWS on you. It just gets better and better, and by the time I finished the game, (8 hours later), I felt it was one of the better New Super Mario Bros. games. (NSMB Wii was pretty mediocre to me.)

Pretty much the quickest way to get 1 Million Coins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gAZuW7Ykho

After 150,000 Coins in roughly 20 minutes, I'm now up to 652,000 Coins and quickly closing in on a Million Coins.

Also, DLC is probably this Thursday.

EDIT: After another 15 minutes, I'm over 800,000 Coins. I should have 1 Million Coins by the end of today.

EDIT 2: After another 25 minutes, I hit 1 Million Coins. 1,002,340 to be exact. Yay...I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JCally']I kind of lost steam on it after 500,000. It's just more of a grind than fun.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I might try the 30k trick a few times for fun, but I'll just wait for the dlc for more coins, or streetpass tags.

Hopefully Nintendo releases more than these few packs.

I've managed to score a few Street Pass Coin Rush matches from people around town, and it really is a lot of fun trying to beat high scores (as well as to hit crazy high scores to trade back to them!)

I swear, if there were:

-online leaderboards;
-the ability to transfer coin rush challenges online and not just by Street Pass;
-the ability to save more than 1 record at a time for Street Passing...

Then I would never be able to put the game down. I realize all of those things would be expecting a lot from Nintendo given their conservative online approach, but ugh, Coin Rush is very addictive & fun, and it really annoys me that it's not implemented better.

If the game had online leaderboards (like that one DLC packs is apparently going to have) it'd improve the game's replay value a lot. Especially if it was split into Time and Coins Collected per level. Challenging Friends List Records would also be very cool.

I'm interested in what the DLC Packs are, especially the Hard one. That one seems insane.

Finally got around to finishing this, I actually did have a lot of fun with it but I don't see myself getting 1 millions coins (unless I use one of those quick methods). I'm looking forward to both the DLC since it's a low price and NSMBU as I have that pre-ordered already, I'm not as burned out of Mario as some other people are so I still enjoy going through the same style of 2d games just with more levels.

The new levels look more like the kind of craziness I was hoping for and expecting in this game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKim29Falgs&feature=player_embedded#!

It was always entertaining but so much of it felt like a retread of things they've already done, then every once in awhile it would surprise me. In the normal single player, all the coins feel so unnecessary, but in Coin Rush it's pure insanity. If these are $2 each, I'll probably get them.

With the emphasis on coin collecting, I think Nintendo really missed a huge opportunity to have a bunch of unlocks and easter eggs in this game. Retro levels, retro mode, hard mode, new skins, more levels beyond the painfully standard 8+1... this could have been the ultimate Mario game.

Also, I bet other Japanese devs (Capcom) are looking at Nintendo and saying, "You mean you didn't have your DLC developed and on the cartridge back in August? Amateurs!"

Right at 2:30 it looks like a lot of fun (and challenge - for once). I'm not sure I'm sold on Nintendo DLC though.

[quote name='Javery']Right at 2:30 it looks like a lot of fun (and challenge - for once). I'm not sure I'm sold on Nintendo DLC though.[/QUOTE]

It's about cost over value. The replay value going for high scores means I'll probably spend $2 on at least one of them (although it might be as much as $3, depending on how the 2000 yen JP price translates domestically).

I can't blame them for following suit since, for better or worse, it's proved such a successful business model, and third-party publishers have come to depend on or at least expect the revenue of DLC. Nintendo is probably doing it with a flagship IP to demonstrate that it's possible on the 3DS and that people will buy it. I just wish NSMB2 was more robust to begin with, as lamented in my prior post. There was a time when Nintendo games aspired to be The Best and not just simply Good Enough. If it wasn't for NSMB Wii, then the 3DS version wouldn't be so bland as a direct sequel to the 2006 DS game.

I loved how the DS original felt like the original Mario Bros with some modern conventions thrown in, and at times NSMB2 hits a good pace and feels similar to Mario 3. Mostly though it just felt as though they couldn't decide what direction to take the game in.

I have a question about Street Pass... When you pass the same person a second time, do the results of your challenging the record they sent you the 1st time get sent over? If I totally destroy someone else's record, will they know it? Or do you only get a single high score each time to trade?

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=35363

$2.50 each
Gold Rush Pack: Fun new courses that give novice players the best chance to collect lots of gold, and veterans the chance to set even higher Coin Rush records.

Coin Challenge Pack A: The New Super Mario Bros. 2 website will track the rankings based on the scores for this pack, enabling players to measure their scores against other tallies from around the world in these more open courses.

Nerve-Wrack Pack: Intense new courses designed for veteran players looking for new challenges.

$0.83 a level... Not quite as good as the old Super Mario Bros 3 e-Cards, but a lot less hassle and I never thought I would call Nintendo's online options less of a hassle than something.

DLC is up for purchase. For some reason I thought the 3 packs had a staggered release, but all 3 are up now. $2.50 each or you can buy all of them at once for $7.50. Wish they had even a slight discount for purchasing them as a single pack, but then again Nintendo had always been a little uncompromising with its online pricing.

I really do love Coin Rush though, so I'm tempted. It helps I only paid $30 for NSMB2 via that Newegg promo. If I had paid full MSRP, the extra DLC cost would seem excessive.

The Nerve Wrack Pack is really just Kaizo Mario. I spent a good 20 minutes trying to beat the first stage of it, only to fail the first jump of the second stage. Considering you can't 'practice' these stages, it makes it that much more difficult. While I've never played Kaizo Mario, it ultimately just boils down to each stage being an individual puzzle. So if you are really wanting some challenge in your Mario game, this is it.

The Perfect Run from Super Mario Galaxy 2 has nothing on this.

I haven't tried the other DLC packs though, but I did purchase them.

[quote name='KingBroly']The Nerve Wrack Pack is really just Kaizo Mario. I spent a good 20 minutes trying to beat the first stage of it, only to fail the first jump of the second stage. Considering you can't 'practice' these stages, it makes it that much more difficult. While I've never played Kaizo Mario, it ultimately just boils down to each stage being an individual puzzle. So if you are really wanting some challenge in your Mario game, this is it.

The Perfect Run from Super Mario Galaxy 2 has nothing on this.

I haven't tried the other DLC packs though, but I did purchase them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I was worried about, I would be more interested if you could practice them in a free play mode because that sounds more like Contra 4 =)

My confusion regarding the DLC is that I thought these 3 packs would come out once a month, but apparently there are 2 more packs coming in November and December. That makes me wonder if they will all be grouped together in a cheaper download later.

Still, I think I'm okay with this kind of content since if you hate Coin Rush or only want to play single player then you are missing out on anything.

The Nerve Wrack Pack is designed by and for dicks. Eff that pack... I'm too old for that kind of thing.

bread's done
Back