New Super Mario Bros. Wii - General Discussion & Info

Multiple characters on the screen with the ice flower is a recipe for death. People lose track of which character is theirs.

The worst is trying to make a jump and someone else decides to go for it at the same time, hitting you on the head and sending you straight to your doom.

The main problem i have is the 2 toads. Its so stupid and when the blue toad gets the ice flower, you can hardly even tell. They should have worked in one more character out of the enormous mario universe. That and the waggle is so bad even tho you get used to it for picking up objects after a while, theres no benefit to it at ALL.

[quote name='blitz6speed']The main problem i have is the 2 toads. Its so stupid and when the blue toad gets the ice flower, you can hardly even tell. They should have worked in one more character out of the enormous mario universe. That and the waggle is so bad even tho you get used to it for picking up objects after a while, theres no benefit to it at ALL.[/QUOTE]

This.

Motion controls that you cannot disable?

Ugh. Well, I'll get it eventually... but that kills the idea of getting it til the price somehow lowers to thirtyish. Thanks for the heads up, everyone... otherwise I woulda' impulse bought it.

While I'm firmly in the 'why in the hell can't I just pick up barrels and blocks as easy as I can shells' camp, I have to just say this... if you are on the fence about this because of motion controls, don't be. I admit there would've been easier ways to perform the function, but it's not quite as awful some people make it seem.

I've had quite a few games that I hated because of 'forced motion controls', but this is far and away not one of them. This is no different than the 'flick controller to spin' of Mario Galaxy, which I also felt wasn't intrusive. They may not be necessary, but to call them game-ruining would be an outright lie.

[quote name='007']I've had quite a few games that I hated because of 'forced motion controls', but this is far and away not one of them. This is no different than the 'flick controller to spin' of Mario Galaxy, which I also felt wasn't intrusive. They may not be necessary, but to call them game-ruining would be an outright lie.[/QUOTE]
True, but the unnecessary inclusion of motion control is nothing to gloss over. In a game that certainly did not come together by accident, some dickweed CHOSE to force this control scheme on the audience. There might have been a multitude of control options as in MKWii, but instead the gamer is given wiimote + shake and that option only.

Think back to the lovely controls of SMB3 or SMW. Relax with that memory. The precision. So comfortable, so responsive. They're as memorable as the levels and characters themselves.

Now wake from the reverie. That dickweed made it so that when a number of gamers look back on this title, they're going to think, "Why did I have to shake to pick things up or float up n' up? Better yet, why did I have to shake at all?" That dickweed fucked up.

[quote name='Strell']He probably coined Gary the Goomba too.[/QUOTE]

In the 2D platformer, I like to think that all of the goombas I'm stomping have peculiar names. I also like to imagine that they're all prepared to engage me in some forced, "quirky," banal dialogue that requires that I keep ... hitting ... A ... to ... continue. It makes the stomping all the sweeter.

Do they all start with G? Or are the other 89 letters of the alphabet included? Are proper and/or trademarked names excluded?

I'm here to rescue the princess, not play Scrabble.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Here's the Iwata Asks for NSMB Wii. It's a great interview.

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/nsmb/vol1_page1.jsp[/QUOTE]

Just finished reading it. It's a really great interview.

There's all the obvious stuff in there but there's a few intriguing tidbits as well, such as how the mushroom came about and why it was designed the way it was. Miyamoto really knows his stuff.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Well Famitsu gave it a 40/40. I'm getting this for Christmas as well hopefully.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why it's getting like.. perfect scores. It's actually a really great game, but there are flaws. But :shrug: that's me. I am enjoying it a lot though!

[quote name='lilboo']I don't know why it's getting like.. perfect scores. It's actually a really great game, but there are flaws. But :shrug: that's me. I am enjoying it a lot though![/QUOTE]

Famitsu bases their reviews on hype, ads, and sometimes the actual game.

[quote name='lilboo']I don't know why it's getting like.. perfect scores. It's actually a really great game, but there are flaws. But :shrug: that's me. I am enjoying it a lot though![/QUOTE]
I agree. It's _this_ close from being as good to knock around with as SMB3. Not putting it on outright equal terms with SMB3 (the context is much different for each), but in terms of exploring levels/worlds, replaying levels, etc., they've each got a lot to offer. Add in the multiplayer and there's a lot there. But then there's the faults...

And for me the main fault boils down to the damn controls. The MP shenanigans I can handle because getting 4P simultaneously is a wee fraction of the audience, so when that's confusing and too chaotic it's just a tiny bit of the experience. Everyone, whether it's 1P or 4P, has to tolerate the controls.

So this oversight is very frustrating. This game with controls on par with SMW would be my favorite title on the Wii. Easily. It's got good levels, they punch all the Mushroom Kingdom buttons by grabbing fun features from past titles, they just left out the sweet, super-tight play control. (And by that I mean replacing the waggle mechanic with something that is repeatable and reliable -- i.e. button push. Also the Classic Jesus Controller option would've been a friendly touch.)

My hope now is that homebrew people pick up the slack and make an alternate control scheme. They did it with Phantom Hourglass.

[quote name='Doomed']My hope now is that homebrew people pick up the slack and make an alternate control scheme. They did it with Phantom Hourglass.[/QUOTE]

Star Fox DS could really benefit from that.

[quote name='theflicker']Star Fox DS could really benefit from that.[/QUOTE]
It already has, just look around. ;)

As for where, you have to find it yourself.

/not condoning piracy

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Well Famitsu gave it a 40/40. I'm getting this for Christmas as well hopefully.[/QUOTE]

Based on this scale, Mario Galaxy is a 65/40.

[quote name='Zing']Based on this scale, Mario Galaxy is a 65/40.[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt go that far, but I understand the sentiment. Still, I'm playing NSMBW more than I played Galaxy and thus far I've played every level with my finance.

Despite its faults (and there are faults), Nintendo has found a way to print cash... Again...

Dear Nintendo, another game in the stylings of SMB2!

Even with this game's faults, it doesn't detract the enjoyment of playing with friends and dicking around with each other while trying to make it through the levels. And at the same time, it manages to make it playable for veterans and newcomers alike.

Sometimes I feel we as gamers are overly picky when it comes to finding faults with a game. Sure, the control scheme could have been improved but overall the game still captures the essence of Mario and is still fun. Sometimes the game itself outweighs any shortfalls you may find.

I just beat this last night, and am looking forward to even more playtime when friends come over. Screw Mario Party, I'd rather play NSMBW.

[quote name='foltzie']I wouldnt go that far, but I understand the sentiment. Still, I'm playing NSMBW more than I played Galaxy and thus far I've played every level with my finance.

Despite its faults (and there are faults), Nintendo has found a way to print cash... Again...

Dear Nintendo, another game in the stylings of SMB2![/QUOTE]

They would be completely foolish to not release another NSMB Wii game. The next game, they could totally just work on the minor flaws in this game and make it a great game.

I would love to see it be called New Super Mario Bros 2..and have it be more or less of a remake of Super Mario Bros 2 (USA). With the character selection and the bad guys. C'mon, who wouldn't want to see bosses like Mouser, FryuGuy, Tryclyde, that weird ass crab, and Wart return?!

Eh, I'd rather they just bring back the raccoon tail/suit (without the fly meter, I heard flying is not good demographic wise), frog suit, etc. I want a Mario game with like 6 suits. I also could do without motion controls but who cares? 2D Mario is always awesome.

[quote name='lilboo']
I would love to see it be called New Super Mario Bros 2..and have it be more or less of a remake of Super Mario Bros 2 (USA).[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't it technically be New Super Mario Bros. 3? And after two sequels is it really considered 'New' anymore? :)

[quote name='lilboo']They would be completely foolish to not release another NSMB Wii game. The next game, they could totally just work on the minor flaws in this game and make it a great game.

I would love to see it be called New Super Mario Bros 2..and have it be more or less of a remake of Super Mario Bros 2 (USA). With the character selection and the bad guys. C'mon, who wouldn't want to see bosses like Mouser, FryuGuy, Tryclyde, that weird ass crab, and Wart return?![/QUOTE]

Clawgrip, dawg! Snip snip! :lol:

[quote name='lilboo']They would be completely foolish to not release another NSMB Wii game. The next game, they could totally just work on the minor flaws in this game and make it a great game.

I would love to see it be called New Super Mario Bros 2..and have it be more or less of a remake of Super Mario Bros 2 (USA). With the character selection and the bad guys. C'mon, who wouldn't want to see bosses like Mouser, FryuGuy, Tryclyde, that weird ass crab, and Wart return?![/QUOTE]

I think gaming has reached the point where yearly iterations simply aren't enough to produce new, original content that is popular with the masses (look at the uproar over Left 4 Dead 2). I bet a lot of people wished they would release Brawl 2 with much better online and less floaty controls, but that's not Nintendo. Even sports games, the king of annual releases, only make marginal improvements every year (can you see Tiger Woods 11 being much better than 10?)

A NSMB 2 with more Yoshi's, throwing shells upward, CC support, and a character roster wouldn't be hard, but it would basically be a GOTY edition. I don't think Nintendo does that. I mean, Galaxy 2 isn't just Galaxy + Yoshi: they have to make entirely new levels and such.

I also agree that perhaps we're being a little too picky about this game. If it's too much like old-school Mario then we say Nintendo's being safe. If it's too "new" we wish for the traditional Mario. But we're all gamers and we're allowed our opinions. ;)

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I think gaming has reached the point where yearly iterations simply aren't enough to produce new, original content that is popular with the masses (look at the uproar over Left 4 Dead 2). I bet a lot of people wished they would release Brawl 2 with much better online and less floaty controls, but that's not Nintendo. Even sports games, the king of annual releases, only make marginal improvements every year (can you see Tiger Woods 11 being much better than 10?)

A NSMB 2 with more Yoshi's, throwing shells upward, CC support, and a character roster wouldn't be hard, but it would basically be a GOTY edition. I don't think Nintendo does that. I mean, Galaxy 2 isn't just Galaxy + Yoshi: they have to make entirely new levels and such.

I also agree that perhaps we're being a little too picky about this game. If it's too much like old-school Mario then we say Nintendo's being safe. If it's too "new" we wish for the traditional Mario. But we're all gamers and we're allowed our opinions. ;)[/QUOTE]

No. Whiny Nitpickers Edition.

fuck this game and the fucking motion controls. It was an annoyance at first, but it's downright infuriating in the later levels. I cruised through world 5 enjoying the game for the most part, but now I'm aggravated. I'm sorry I bought this because the sale represents someone happy with the product to Nintendo.

I went easy on it before, but gloves are off, it's clear that they rushed this game out for the holidays. It's completely uninspired considering how extremely little it brings to the table compared to the DS version that came out over THREE AND HALF YEARS AGO. Hearing Mario say the same three or four noises for hours on end makes me want to punch babies and kick puppies. Why no option for regular controls or character selection? Why don't they show the koopa kids jumping off the dropship if I warped past a world and go to it for the first time? Why can't I choose to start at either the beginning of a level OR the checkpoint when I'm star hunting? And now I'm jipped out of a bonus for letting the Luigi walkthrough box show up at all regardless of whether I use it? Considering that Mario has always set the benchmark for platforming, it's completely unpolished and a pathetic effort to put something out for holiday sales.

And to expand on that, where are the original games Nintendo? Even Gamecube brought us Luigi's Mansion, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Battalion Wars, ChibiRobo, and even great continuations of Zelda, Metroid, FZero, Starfox, etc. Since spring 08 we got Punch out and I guess a new Animal Crossing? Wii Music, Wii Fit Plus and Wii Sports Resort are NOT hallmark games. And they even got so lazy they stopped remaking Gamecube games (Strikers, Sluggers) they just released ports to say "We put out real games this year!" Extremely disappointing.

Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort are very much hallmark games whether you think so or not. The Miis are just as much of a part of Nintendo's repertoire as Mario now.

I do agree that the original titles, hell even non-Mario titles are lacking. Where's Pikmin 3, Waverace and F-Zero? What about the elusive Kid Icarus? Luigi's Mansion 2 with the Wiimote would be a no-brainer as evidenced by Ghostbusters.

[quote name='QiG']fuck this game and the fucking motion controls. [/QUOTE]
Dang, son. Let's do this a bit at a time.

Make it plain, brother.

[quote name='QiG']...it's clear that they rushed this game out for the holidays. [/QUOTE]
It's clear to me that a lot of time was put into the game. Regardless of the release schedule.

[quote name='QiG']It's completely uninspired considering how extremely little it brings to the table compared to the DS version that came out over THREE AND HALF YEARS AGO.[/QUOTE]
The underlying assumption here is that Nintendo was compelled to "inspire" and deliver appetizers to this table of which you speak.

This title is nostalgia in more ways that one: they're not only going way back with a little 2D platforming, they're pulling in all our favorite elements from great 2D platformers gone by. I would say they succeeded in scratching that 2D Mushroom Kingdom itch, but WTF do I know?

I would only fault them in going halfway in their retro/nostalgia fun: if you're going to bother to get in the wayback machine, have the decency to tether this experience to tight, crisp play control.

[quote name='QiG']Hearing Mario say the same three or four noises for hours on end makes me want to punch babies and kick puppies.[/QUOTE]
You must've been so pissed in SMB through SMW when he said jack shit. The babies you punched in 1989 alone! ANGRY!

[quote name='QiG']Why no option for regular controls or character selection?[/QUOTE]
Right on target on the regular (if you mean CC or minus-waggle) controls.

As for character selection, it's not an unfair request, but I think the defense might be that all characters would play the same anyhow. Which is to say, they didn't want to give the impression of a SMB2-type affair.

[quote name='QiG']Why don't they show the koopa kids jumping off the dropship if I warped past a world and go to it for the first time?[/QUOTE]
Ain't no high like a crack pipe high cause a crack pipe high makes you write crazy shit like this^^^^

[quote name='QiG']Why can't I choose to start at either the beginning of a level OR the checkpoint when I'm star hunting?[/QUOTE]
I don't see how the checkpoint mechanic is any different than it was in SMW. And, yes, SMW is the standard for excellence. So your request is invalid. Move along.

[quote name='QiG']And now I'm jipped out of a bonus for letting the Luigi walkthrough box show up at all regardless of whether I use it?[/QUOTE]
I don't know what you mean about a bonus, but I would like to agree on this if the point is "fuck that stupid fucking Luigi box." Don't insult me with your petty walkthroughs, Luigi. You green cock.

[quote name='dothog']
I don't know what you mean about a bonus, but I would like to agree on this if the point is "fuck that stupid fucking Luigi box." Don't insult me with your petty walkthroughs, Luigi. You green cock.[/QUOTE]
From the interview that was posted here somewhere. There's a star in the title screen or something for never making Luigi call you a dumbass.

I laughed at the part of the interview where he said people at the Super Mario Club were like "this level is really hard" and they check their file, and they died like 3 times. :lol:

[quote name='Corvin']Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort are very much hallmark games whether you think so or not. The Miis are just as much of a part of Nintendo's repertoire as Mario now.

I do agree that the original titles, hell even non-Mario titles are lacking. Where's Pikmin 3, Waverace and F-Zero? What about the elusive Kid Icarus? Luigi's Mansion 2 with the Wiimote would be a no-brainer as evidenced by Ghostbusters.[/QUOTE]
Pikmin 3 is coming. Miyamoto told me so. He'd never let me down, after all, he did work on Wii Music and Super Mario World.

[quote name='Corvin']Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort are very much hallmark games whether you think so or not. The Miis are just as much of a part of Nintendo's repertoire as Mario now.

I do agree that the original titles, hell even non-Mario titles are lacking. Where's Pikmin 3, Waverace and F-Zero? What about the elusive Kid Icarus? Luigi's Mansion 2 with the Wiimote would be a no-brainer as evidenced by Ghostbusters.[/QUOTE]
Pikmin 3 is coming. Miyamoto told me so. He'd never let me down, after all, he did work on Wii Music and Super Mario World.

[quote name='dothog']
I would only fault them in going halfway in their retro/nostalgia fun: if you're going to bother to get in the wayback machine, have the decency to tether this experience to tight, crisp play control.

Bingo

You must've been so pissed in SMB through SMW when he said jack shit. The babies you punched in 1989 alone! ANGRY!

I'd rather have him be mute than get spammed with the same few lines over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

I don't see how the checkpoint mechanic is any different than it was in SMW. And, yes, SMW is the standard for excellence. So your request is invalid. Move along.

The difference is that you could collect coins for an extra life in SMW vs now coins are collectibles. If I miss one and hit a checkpoint, now I have to finish the level and do it all again. Is it a big deal to start over? Is it a big deal to add the option for start of level or checkpoint?
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Sounds like QiG went from "I hate NSMBWii" to "I hate Nintendo".

Nice meltdown. 6/10[/QUOTE]

Here's the deal. I was at the tower in world 7 where I got stuck. First, I got ticked when I kept seeing that coin to the left of the checkpoint and there was no easy way for me to start the level over. Fine, I'll just get my happy ass through the level and start over. But the motion control lift is such a pain in the ass that I really struggle with it in and of itself with everything going on, on top of trying to get that 3rd coin. :bomb::bomb:

So I posted my rant, messed around with other things and came back to it. Oh yeah, Nintendo thought it would be clever to make saving on demand an unlockable bonus, the coins I got in levels 7-1 through 7-3 were gone and I had to do them over again since I hadn't cleared the tower to save. I get to the same point and still have trouble, so I said F it, this games going on goozex to the lucky lad that's first in the queue.

If Nintendo wants Music, Fit, and Sports Resort to be their hallmark games, that's fine, they can laugh all the way to the bank when long time loyalists like me are asking for more traditional games. But for crying out loud, when you throw us a bone by making a game like this, do it right and do it with some more attention to detail. Brawl had about 10 million ways to control which was awesome, and then they release Punch-Out and now this without CC support. Hell, it was Nintendo themselves that released the classic controller and it's useless for gamecube games or even 1st party games now. The wiimote flipped sideways is serviceable, I guess, but it's that or full motion on most games? Ugh. Even EA listened to fan requests for another control scheme in FNR4 and took care of it. Nintendo didn't even bother implementing an update delivery system for its console to fix it if they wanted to.

I'm not trying to tell someone not to enjoy motion controls, if you get your gaming rocks off by swinging the controller around, have at it. It's not for me, but I deal with it if implemented reasonably. But third party support for this system is sad no matter how many 'adult' games Sega puts out. So I rely on Nintendo published games to keep the system afloat. This is the first Wii game I was genuinely excited for in damn near two years and it falls flat for me. There's a ton of better games out for other systems worth every penny released every fall. What's next now... Galaxy 2 or the next Metroid hopefully next holiday season? Forget about it. I don't want to hear the Nintendo apologists, almost everyone has posted that they like it but one aspect of the game doesn't mesh with them, not a coincidence.

I'm just not giving N a pass on this one, the quality is shit.

So I bit the bullet after hearing the buzz surrounding this game from a few close friends, and got it.

I gotta say.....it's....GOOD. Yes, it's riddled with mediocre graphics, forgettable tunes, but the most important piece to the formula, the level design, is quite fun.

Honestly the sideways wiimote ain't too bad of an NES pad, not counting the few times my big hands butt pressed Mario in a platform jump. Motion controls seem to do the job so far, but I can't say I'm convinced that they were an essential inclusion.

I can't predict whether I'll be playing this version of Mario the most from now. However, I can't deny that I'm loving the time I've spent so far. Whereas in playing the first NSMB, I just kept waiting to be entertained and challenged. That's not to say this game is hard, but it's definitely not a bore.

Oh, and I don't like multiplayer that much. Could be the fact that I only got the chance to play with noobs that slowed my a game down. Who knows.

In summation, if NSMB didn't quite do it for you and you like Mario games, NSMBWii might just be your game.

(Though I'm not finished)

Last edited by a moderator:
I played this last night with three other people, two of whom were not gamers at all, and we all had a blast. Just tell noobs to hit A if they are about to die, or to do so if they feel overwhelmed. Problem solved. We had instances where I'd run through a tough section alone, and then free everyone else. We even warped over to worlds 5 and 6, and none of them complained despite the rising difficulty.

The motion controls are _____ but I'm amazed at the tantrums some people are throwing about them. It's on the same continuum as using dual sticks, and when I'm watching casual players deal with it better than you supposed hardcore players, I just have to wonder a bit.

But still, multiplayer is a lot of fun. It has the same level of charm I associate with Smash Bros, which I credit as having very open ended gameplay. There's so much that can happen, but all of it makes sense. At some point I launched someone into one of the Koopa Kids, proclaiming "Take one for the team!"

[quote name='Strell']
The motion controls are _____ but I'm amazed at the tantrums some people are throwing about them. It's on the same continuum as using dual sticks, and when I'm watching casual players deal with it better than you supposed hardcore players, I just have to wonder a bit.[/QUOTE]
I don't know who's in your crosshairs on this, shooter, but the "dual sticks" analogy is false.

The thing is this: for a control scheme to be outstanding, there has to be precision. The dual sticks, in my experience, are very precise. Using them well is hard, but the difficulties are those of the player and not the implement. The same cannot be said for waggle-dependent control. I don't want to get into arguments of physiology and kinesiology, but my guess is even the most practiced of gamers will not hit the waggle with the precision and accuracy of the simple button.

The precision on NSMBW in particular bugs me. And when I use precision, that is to say the mechanic for a given action, e.g. puling off the whirlybird, has to be repeatable. If I engage it the same way 100 times by shaking the wiimote thusly, I should see the same result 100 times on-screen. If you claim that engaging an accelerometer with a waggle is as repeatable as a button or directional push, why you're just stirring shit up, son. (In which case, mission accomplished.)

Anyhow, if your argument is "The game is easy as piss anyhow, so what does it matter if the waggle makes it tough to judge when that whirlybird goes off exactly?" then I kind of see your point. But if the argument is that there's a lot of noise over nothing, I disagree. It's something substantial, something that prevents this game from being in the company of the great 2D platformers IMO.

[quote name='Strell']The motion controls are _____ but I'm amazed at the tantrums some people are throwing about them. It's on the same continuum as using dual sticks, and when I'm watching casual players deal with it better than you supposed hardcore players, I just have to wonder a bit.[/QUOTE]

I will say this, the motion controls have introduced a nasty habit.

I was playing Uncharted 2 today, and flicked the controller in an attempt to get extra air time for Drake. Damn you Nintendo.

[quote name='dothog'] But if the argument is that there's a lot of noise over nothing, I disagree. [/QUOTE]

I think there's more than is justified (justifiable?), is all. A quick movement in any direction accomplishes as an input, and I've had no trouble with the moveable see-saws. I'll see eye to eye and say that a total legacy setup should have been included. And go further and say that the precision takes a hit.

But I'm talking a hit under microscopic levels, generally unseen unless you are actively trying to look. Again, I see people who barely play games have no trouble with these controls. If we're going to just dismiss that as anecdotal testimony, then why does it not go the other way around? Is it simply because there's more of it on online gaming boards, and therefore it rules supreme by girth and volume alone?

I had another friend tell me the same thing with Metroid Prime 3. And I asked him to replicate it in front of me. And it turns out he was doing something completely wrong, as in execution. And I pointed it out and showed him the correct method, and he shut up after that. So I'm just not sold that this isn't more of the same puffery that this system has gotten from a bunch of entrenched perception, the likes of which sounds really plausible when put into the same bowl as a bunch of like-colored M&Ms.

The thing re: dual sticks is more that it's another memory to send to my muscles. I don't get hung up on the see-saws because I instantly thought "just hold this position." Maybe that's partially because I have a little piano training. Maybe it's because I've played games all the time. Maybe it's because I'm no totally against new forms of input. I don't know, it could be a combination of things. I'm just a bit lost when I hear people talk as though the involuntary actions of their body - heart beats, blood flow, hair growing - are totally ruining the game. But I agree that this isn't a wholly fair comparison since one offers better precision.

So maybe I think of it as an expansion to precision, even though it can't be by definition. Or something. I'm sort of flailing around here.

There's another part of this where I'm projecting into the future, watching from an omnipotent point (like a cosmic lifeguard), assuming Nintendo is using the Wii as almost nothing more than a gigantic gallery of field research, to be implemented in further systems and/or other areas. But that's a bit sci-fi and only tangentially related to this discussion. Or, actually, it might be more relevant to visit in a year, after Natal and the SonyWhatever have been somewhat established, to see if people are just then magically coming to terms with it, and thus making their words just seem like a big load of whining.

Batten down the hatches and full speed ahead to the future, I suppose. Filled with me dying in a game because a fan blew against my arm, and the machine interpreted this as "run the fuck off the cliff."

I really need some good players to play this with. It's not very exciting to play through it with my wife when she loses all five of her lives halfway through the level. She then needs to sit there and watch me play solo until I end the level so she can continue. She dies approximately 20 times to my one death.

It would be a lot of fun with another skilled player. You could set up some nice tricks. With new players its basically me playing through the level, only dying due to luck or getting pushed/hit by my teammate.

So, if you dont think this is the greatest game of all time, you have a personal vendetta against nintendo, and you have no clue how to properly play video games.

Got it.

[quote name='blitz6speed']The world is black and white![/QUOTE]

You always have such nuanced argument. Good job. i100 bucks says he comes back with a generic fanboy comment.

Ok, I'll stop taking a crap on Nintendo and try to be more on topic. After reading the Miyamoto-Iwata interview I was thoroughly impressed with the amount of thought that went into the design of the first level of Super Mario Bros (NES). So much so that I can't help but ask myself why it felt like a good decision to tack on the controls the way they did in this game when it was perfectly capable of standing on its own without them. I can think of several examples of subtle motion control implementation that don't bother me at all: Balancing as you walk on a bridge in Uncharted, aiming an arrow in Heavenly Sword, turning a valve in Killzone, yanking out a soul in Folklore or shaking off an enemy in HotD:Overkill. The common thread in these examples is that when you are expected to carry out a motion it 1) mimics what you'd actually be doing with your hands B) is the only thing you need to focus on at that moment in the game. And maybe it is just another muscle memory routine, but to be fair it's pretty complex to steady the controller while jumping, dodging and throwing bombs that are coming in from multiple directions.

I'd be more inclined to bite my tongue if I kept seeing people say "Wow, this game is really innovative. I feel like the motion controls really added to it. The presentation/audio/graphics are blowing me away." I couldn't say that there's one single thing I'd call game breaking but when I noticed I was challenged more by getting my character to perform how I wanted to than the level design (which is key in platformers), all the other things on top of that I don't agree with just added up enough for me to stop and realize that I'm simply not enjoying this game as much as I hoped/expected to.

Strell, I respect that you're one of the most articulate posters on this board but I believe that your argument to downplay the issue of a bit of a reach. :whistle2:#

[quote name='QiG'] I believe that your argument to downplay the issue of a bit of a reach. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

That's cool. Just understand I think the outrage is a bit of a reach, is all. In the end, I like the game, and that's all its sphere of influence needs to cover.

bread's done
Back