New to PSN / How do you change your avatar?

AngryDragon888

CAGiversary!
I'm new to PlayStation (well, at least since the PS one) so forgive my ignorance.  How the hell do you change your PlayStation avatar? (i.e. the block headed face in my forum sig) I'm sure it's something extremely obvious that I'm missing.  Also, I only have a PS Vita if that makes any difference.

In addition, I know that having a Plus account gives you discounts and they also have free games from time to time.  Is a Plus account worth it if you have just the Vita?  In other words, are the free games typically playable on the Vita.

Thanks in advance for any help!

In order to change your avatar you pick Settings (green icon) -> PlayStation Network -> Profile -> Avatar.

As for getting a PS+ subscription... I've been a subscriber since the Instant Game Collection service launched for Vita in November, and these are the games I got out of it so far:

Vita

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND (still available)
Chronovolt
Disgaea 3
Foosball 2012 (+PS3)
Germinator (still available)
Gravity Rush (still available)
Jet Set Radio
Knytt Underground (+PS3) (still available)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Pinball Arcade (+PS3) (still available)
Plants vs Zombies
Retro City Rampage (+PS3)
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Uncharted: Golden Abyss (still available)
WipEout 2048 (still available)
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (scheduled for later this month)
Zombie Tycoon II (+PS3)

PSP
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
Gods Eater Burst (scheduled for later this month)
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny (still available)
Tekken 6

Might seem like a decent deal, but I also got like... 50 free PS3 games or something crazy like that, so you definitely get the short end of the stick if you're just a Vita owner. It's really up to you if you think it's worth it or not. You also get discounts, but with the absurd amount of free games I got out of PS+, I've stopped buying them. I literally had a copy of Virtue's Last Reward in my online shopping basket when I read that it'd be coming to the Instant Game Collection. If you plan on getting a PS+ subscription, definitely subscribe to the PS Blog feed or visit the site to keep yourself in the know.

Last edited by a moderator:
In order to change your avatar you pick Settings (green icon) -> PlayStation Network -> Profile -> Avatar.

As for getting a PS+ subscription... I've been a subscriber since the Instant Game Collection service launched for Vita in November, and these are the games I got out of it so far:
Yep, that was pretty obvious. I was able to change it even though it isn't showing up...guess it hasn't synced up somewhere along the line.

Probably end up signing up for plus here at some point. Even though I don't have a PS3 it still seems like a pretty good deal. In addition, I may be going with the PS4 at year's end, but I haven't made that decision yet....which is a whole different topic.

Thanks for all the info, you were very helpful.

bread's done
Back