New trade in 10% ,20% ,40% - GameStop

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnrealZero

CAGiversary!
The new guide with Resident Evil 5 on the cover shows that then new trade ins. Says offer ends 04/05/09 so maybe it starts right after the 10$ for 3 next gen games traded in.

Trade in 2 games 10%
Trade in 4 games 20%
Trade in 6 games or more 40%

Also 25$ extra when you trade in your Wii,Ps3,Xbox 360, Nintendo Ds, PSP

-------------------------------------------------
Edit by Io:

Please continue discussion in the main GS trade-in deal thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209897

Last edited by a moderator:
I will never understand how some people can think this is actually a good thing.

2 games for 10% extra? 4 for 20%? That's horrible right there.

[quote name='Tsukento']I will never understand how some people can think this is actually a good thing.

2 games for 10% extra? 4 for 20%? That's horrible right there.[/quote]

40% + 10% edge on games that aren't Wii/360/PS3 that you need to dump and before TIV gets more than you paid = awesome. 50% extra, on a game I'm already profiting from...=win?

[quote name='Tsukento']I will never understand how some people can think this is actually a good thing.

I mean it's not like your trading in 360 games or PS3 games. It's crappy games from like PS1 or like N64.

i would never trade in a game that old. the slim chance that I will play it again is far more valuable than the 50c (75c with 50% extra) i would get from Gamestop. and any game that old that is actually valuable would be worth playing anyway, so why trade it in?

[quote name='thebattlebegins']I mean it's not like your trading in 360 games or PS3 games. It's crappy games from like PS1 or like N64.[/quote]

They don't even take trades from generations that old. They're not even taking previous generation xbox titles starting mid February.

Are you positive the third tier is 40%? Traditionally it has always been 30%. It would almost make sense, as they are still reeling from the holiday rush, but I would hate to see everyone get fired up over a typo. 50% bonus including edge would be fantastic for new release games, though.

[quote name='g-man']i would never trade in a game that old. the slim chance that I will play it again is far more valuable than the 50c (75c with 50% extra) i would get from Gamestop. and any game that old that is actually valuable would be worth playing anyway, so why trade it in?[/quote]

then you obviously aren't a CAGer.

[quote name='xdl']Are you positive the third tier is 40%? Traditionally it has always been 30%. It would almost make sense, as they are still reeling from the holiday rush, but I would hate to see everyone get fired up over a typo. 50% bonus including edge would be fantastic for new release games, though.[/quote]

Yes this is true. Im holding the Guide right now. I was going to post pics from my digital camera, but its not going through. The guides should be in your stores on the desks.

[quote name='georox']40% + 10% edge on games that aren't Wii/360/PS3 that you need to dump and before TIV gets more than you paid = awesome. 50% extra, on a game I'm already profiting from...=win?[/quote]
Note I said nothing about 40%. I only referenced 10 and 20%.

50% on dumped stuff isn't that bad. But only 20% if you're bringing in 4? That's ridiculously bad.

Let's see, say you have six $10 pieces of crap.

$10 + $10 + $10 + $10 + $10 + $10 = $60

$10 Promo = $60 + $20 = $80

50% Promo = 50% of 10 is 5, so multiply 5 by 6 and add 30 to 60. = $90

[quote name='UnrealZero']so whats better trading in trash for the 10$ bonus or taking the 50%[/quote]
Assume 6 games worth of trash TIV = X

$10 bonus deal = X*1.1 + $20
50% deal = X + X/2

2vxomdf.jpg

So you have to get more than $50 TIV for your 6 games for the 50% deal to beat the $10 deal.

i did 5,3,5,3,5,4 = 25 45 with 10$ bonus
then 32.50 with 50% !!! am i right?? =] i wanna see for not doing math like this for years if i rememeber

[quote name='tex1ntux']Assume 6 games worth of trash TIV = X

$10 bonus deal = X + $20
50% deal = X + X/2

1193tib.jpg

So you have to get more than $40 TIV for your 6 games for the 50% deal to beat the $10 deal.[/QUOTE]

Undisputed post of the week.

[quote name='UnrealZero']gimme ur calculations =[ plz[/quote]Assume 6 games worth of trash TIV = X

$10 bonus deal = X*1.1 + $20
50% deal = X + X/2

So if TIV = $25

$10 bonus deal = X*1.1 + $20 = $27.50 + $20 = $47.50
50% deal = X + X/2 = $25 + $12.50 = $37.50

Bottom line: If your TIV is less than $50, go with the $10 bonus. If it's more than $50, go with the 50% bonus.

Thanks this is exactly what I needed to know!

$10 bonus deal = X + $20
50% deal = X + X/2

1193tib.jpg

So you have to get more than $40 TIV for your 6 games for the 50% deal to beat the $10 deal.[/quote]

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Undisputed post of the week.[/quote]

More like post of the year. He backed up his data with a Shaq-Fu-ing graph! Mad props to our new Nerd Overlord, tex1ntux.

$10 bonus deal = X + $20
50% deal = X + X/2

1193tib.jpg

So you have to get more than $40 TIV for your 6 games for the 50% deal to beat the $10 deal.[/quote]

Yea, that's exactly what I was trying to say ... only without the exact amount to profit.

the graph is nice and all, but is this confirmed? ahah

Will i need a coupon or is it automatic? Or do i have to mention it to them?

Yeah this deal sucks. You would be getting the equivalent of $3 dollars for a current gen game since they don't take last gen stuff anymore and assuming this is going towards a new game. Gamestop is terrible. I refuse to do business with them,

[quote name='Venomus']bastards, i just traded in my 360 a week ago[/QUOTE]

ehh how much did you get?

This percentage deal works for PSP games, right? Not just Wii/360/PS3 games?

Need to get rid of some PSP games. I could see myself racking up a lot of credit with this + Edge.

The $10 bonus works out to $3.33 per game. Therefore, in order for the 50% to be worthwhile, the average base TIV per game has to be greater than $6.66.

[quote name='earvcunanan']This percentage deal works for PSP games, right? Not just Wii/360/PS3 games?

Need to get rid of some PSP games. I could see myself racking up a lot of credit with this + Edge.[/quote]

If it is the same as last time, it will work with all currently accepted generations (including GC and PS2).

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']then you obviously aren't a CAGer.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone on this site is a CAGer.

Not sure about anyone else but the reason I love these these deals is because you can use low trade in value filler that isn't typically eligible for the 3 + $10 deals (psp,ds cube etc) to boost a couple "a" list titles to higher value.
For example I have a stack of
iconds.gif
games that would probably fetch about $18 or so. With the new
iconds.gif
coupon it would be $22.50. So instead I take those 6
iconds.gif
games and add in say a
iconxbox360.gif
COD4 (tiv $14). Now not only will I get $25.20 for those same ds games but now I'll get $19.60 for COD4.

Long story short- get a bunch of stuff usually not eligible for bonuses and throw in a couple with TIV's over $5 and its a great deal.

Now if there really is a B1G1 coming up at BBV we could be in for another perfect storm!

$10 bonus deal = X + $20
50% deal = X + X/2

1193tib.jpg

So you have to get more than $40 TIV for your 6 games for the 50% deal to beat the $10 deal.[/QUOTE]

Graph is pretty, but your calculations are wrong.

Trade 3 get $10 stacks with Edge, so the right formula should be 1.1x + 20, whereas the 1.5x for tiered (x + x/2) already includes Edge.

So, the actual breakeven point for trading in 6 games at a time is $50 base TIV ($8.33 per game), all else being equal. Of course, tiered trade usually includes non-:360:/:ps3:/:wii:, but might have additional restrictions as far as min TIV goes, plus you have to trade in more at a time, so it's not quite all equal.

This is cool—I've had some DS and PSP games waiting for the next tiered trade-in. I was expecting a 30% + Edge, so a 40% + Edge will be even sweeter.

And this dovetails nicely with the $25 bonus for trading in a system—$75 for a DS Lite toward a DSi, hopefully!

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Undisputed post of the week.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Darthjer']More like post of the year. He backed up his data with a Shaq-Fu-ing graph! Mad props to our new Nerd Overlord, tex1ntux.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, the math was wrong. Don't believe everything you read just because there's a pretty picture included.

[quote name='aardvark22']Not sure about anyone else but the reason I love these these deals is because you can use low trade in value filler that isn't typically eligible for the 3 + $10 deals (psp,ds cube etc) to boost a couple "a" list titles to higher value.
For example I have a stack of
iconds.gif
games that would probably fetch about $18 or so. With the new
iconds.gif
coupon it would be $22.50. So instead I take those 6
iconds.gif
games and add in say a
iconxbox360.gif
COD4 (tiv $14). Now not only will I get $25.20 for those same ds games but now I'll get $19.60 for COD4.

Long story short- get a bunch of stuff usually not eligible for bonuses and throw in a couple with TIV's over $5 and its a great deal.

Now if there really is a B1G1 coming up at BBV we could be in for another perfect storm![/QUOTE]

too bad most DS and psp games only get between 5 to 10 bucks. Even newer games only fetch 10

better to just dump them on ebay....

cant think of more then 10 games that fetch higher then 12 on the DS side (and those can grab 20+ on ebay easy)

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']then you obviously aren't a CAGer.[/quote]

Sorry, buddy, there are a lot of us who would never trade one of our games in or ever even touch a used game (unless it was out of print).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back