New Transformers movie, yay or nay?

From what I've seen of some of the character designs, they really butchered Megatron's design, giving him a jagged 'alien' looking design as opposed to the version we know from the 80's animated series.

Apparently, they've also changed Starscream and Bumblebee to 'modernize' their respective character designs. Either way, I am hating the designs as I've seen them already. Add into that the fact that Hugo Weaving(Agent Smith from the Matrix, V from V for Vendetta) is supposed to be voicing either Optimus Prime or Megatron and you have one VERY unhappy G1 fan here.

What do you all think about the designs on the net for the characters? I'm still hoping beyond hope that even less than 2 months out they can go back in and change them to what we all remember.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']From what I've seen of some of the character designs, they really butchered Megatron's design, giving him a jagged 'alien' looking design as opposed to the version we know from the 80's animated series.

Apparently, they've also changed Starscream and Bumblebee to 'modernize' their respective character designs. Either way, I am hating the designs as I've seen them already. Add into that the fact that Hugo Weaving(Agent Smith from the Matrix, V from V for Vendetta) is supposed to be voicing either Optimus Prime or Megatron and you have one VERY unhappy G1 fan here.

What do you all think about the designs on the net for the characters? I'm still hoping beyond hope that even less than 2 months out they can go back in and change them to what we all remember.[/QUOTE]

Pfft.

Life changes, so do you... unless you're Gary Coleman and forever stuck in a pre-pubescent state. So yeah, based on the super awesome directing talent behind this movie I expect nothing more quality than the Hulk movie.

The least they could've done is actually get the same voice actors, if possible, to do the main characters voices. Either way, I STILL am holding off on going to see it till I know for sure.

I've always disliked giant robot cartoons, japanese or otherwise. From the previews, is looks like the transformers are getting an awesome looking makeover. They look like some seriously evil jagged killing machines, badass! Thats not gonna make me want to see the movie though. A giant robot is a giant robot no matter how cool it looks..

its not going to be good. buy the dvds from the show we grew up watching, not this movie thats going to trick people just because of the name

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The least they could've done is actually get the same voice actors, if possible, to do the main characters voices.[/quote]

It's not possible for the guy voiced Jazz, he died right after the movie back in '86 which explains why he survived the movie but except the first episode back, wasn't in Seasons 3 or 4.

If you're wanting to hear Frank Welker do Megatron's voice, just play the video game when it comes. I'm hoping it isn't a clusterfuck like Spider-Man 3 is though, since Activision is work on Transformers too.

well with 2 less then 2 months away, we still haven't seen a full body megatron image nor the rest of the transformers . I just read that Steve Jablosky is scoring this movie :O He did the score for CNC3. Hmm.. I am mixed on this. Yea we won't get Vince DiCola but we are getting a relatively unknown newcomer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jablonsky

Over the weekend I saw the preview toys at TRU and I was like of fuck that.

btw don't we have another thread about this already?

[quote name='tangytangerine']It's not possible for the guy voiced Jazz, he died right after the movie back in '86 which explains why he survived the movie but except the first episode back, wasn't in Seasons 3 or 4.

If you're wanting to hear Frank Welker do Megatron's voice, just play the video game when it comes. I'm hoping it isn't a clusterfuck like Spider-Man 3 is though, since Activision is work on Transformers too.[/QUOTE]

I already was a little cautious about the Transformers movie game but given the sheer amount of shittiness surrounding the Spider-man 3 I'll be lucky if I blind-rent Transformers.

I'll just wait for a Go-Bots movie. "And the Oscar goes to Go-Bots."

Seriously I only owned one Transformer and a million Go-bots. I could get 3 crappy toys for the price of one cool one!

if its anything like spiderman 3 then hell nay !!!!! i get the feeling this summer of films will sucks bigtime as it has for a while now. its the foreign and independant films i get excited over and the only film im really looking foward to is 28 weeks later. and maybe super fuzz but that one im gonna rent.

Giant robots blowing shit up and kicking the shit out of each other...an apparently non-campy tone...sounds good (enough) to me.

The movie is bound to have a laundry list of flaws, but Transformer design faithfulness is not one of them. I'm (not) sorry if I offend anyone by saying this, but if you expected a 'tentpole', high-budget blockbuster like this to kowtow to the wishes of those trapped in 1986, you really might want to go/stay at home and rethink your life. Rarely have I seen such disturbing displays of arrested development and extreme petulance as I have with the 'true' fans bemoaning this movie since the first concept art leaked. And this is coming from someone who between '02 and '05 often read the wimpering on theforce.net.

Dam I really don't understand why everyone or most of you are on the fence about this movie. At least from the previews this movie looks amazing and I can't wait until it comes out.

Btw I have never owned or seen any other transfomers movie or cartoon so i dont give a shit about what has changed.

Oh, and the guy who voiced Starscream (Cobra Commander, etc) is also dead.

No surprise why they went with some new voice talent.

Well, it's been revealed what they all transform into. Here's what they are:

Autobots:

Optimus Prime-
Peterbilt Truck

Bumblebee- an updated Camaro

Jazz- Pontiac Solstice

Ironhide- GMC Topkick Pickup Truck

Ratchet- H2 Hummer

Decepticons
:

Megatron-
Cybertronion Jet

Starscream- F-22 Raptor

Blackout- MH-53 Pave Low Helicopter

Brawl- M1 Abrams Tank

Frenzy- 2 speaker CD Player(originally was going to be Soundwave)

Bonecrusher- Buffalo H Mine-Protected Vehicle

Scorponok- Metallic Scorpion

Read about the actors from the G1 cartoon that have died since the show, apparently the guy who did Ratchet's voice is also dead.

The games from Activision will have unlockable G1 stuff. Hasn't been mentioned what exactly it is, but I'm guessing it's probably the intros and PSAs.

Not only will this film be review-proof, but it's the one movie I can think of in recent memory that I actually won't give a flying squirrel about the critical consensus...print or online. The reasons being, the former group I can't see being able to 'connect' at all with a movie centered around mechanized beings*, and the latter is probably going to be too 'close' to the source material on the whole. Plus, I can't help but think that Spielberg's proximity to the project will rub off at least a little. That alone should offset the gratuitous product placement.

Man, this sunny weather is really getting to me, making me optimistic! I can't have that!

*--Yes, that's the difference here. A person climbing the walls of NYC skyscrapers or Force-pushing droids or fighting in a three-way fencing duel is still a human being. You can 'humanize' the robots all you want, but at the end of the day, they are too 'cold' to resonate with people accustomed to relating to fully-emoting faces, to making the relatability of the characters top priority. Then again, I don't think 'we' want these 'guys' to be too 'in touch' with their feelings. We'll leave that to that Parker kid.

Obviously (from my avater pick which I've had since the pic leaked) Im all in for this movie, regardless of how crappy it may be. Getting Cullen for Prime was a huge move to get the fans to come back, they can screw just about anything else up. It stinks taht Welker and Cullen will not be in the animated series, but I have high hopes that if the movie pulls in decent bank, that we may get a G1 reboot or continuation with Cullen, Welker, and soundalikes.

It's one of my anticipated films of the year. I'm expecting a fun and enjoyable action flick out of it, nothing more.

Yay.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Not only will this film be review-proof, but it's the one movie I can think of in recent memory that I actually won't give a flying squirrel about the critical consensus...print or online. The reasons being, the former group I can't see being able to 'connect' at all with a movie centered around mechanized beings*, and the latter is probably going to be too 'close' to the source material on the whole. Plus, I can't help but think that Spielberg's proximity to the project will rub off at least a little. That alone should offset the gratuitous product placement.

Man, this sunny weather is really getting to me, making me optimistic! I can't have that!

*--Yes, that's the difference here. A person climbing the walls of NYC skyscrapers or Force-pushing droids or fighting in a three-way fencing duel is still a human being. You can 'humanize' the robots all you want, but at the end of the day, they are too 'cold' to resonate with people accustomed to relating to fully-emoting faces, to making the relatability of the characters top priority. Then again, I don't think 'we' want these 'guys' to be too 'in touch' with their feelings. We'll leave that to that Parker kid.[/quote]

What gratuitous product placement? Ohhhh you mean the fact that all the Autobots are GM vehicles? I mean, cmon, some of the characters vehicle modes were generic and looking back at the old animated series now, I can finally tell that the series was mainly done to hype the hell out of the toys. I know which 2 major Transformers I wanted as a kid(Prime and Megatron) and that was just from 'how cool they were on the show'. LOL

It's a shame about all the VA's who died since the original series was out, but the person they had doing Starscreams voice in a couple of the recent incarnations was pretty close imo. I'm still kinda bummed about Soundwave and Frenzy, Rumble,uhhhh the Jaguar cassette and the rest not being in the movie.

I know there's a character NAMED Frenzy, but Frenzy in the series was one of the jackhammer cassettes that Soundwave ejected.

So again, I'm on the fence, but if they actually put out some different promos showing some real good battle scenes, then that might persuade me.

Personally though, and I'll admit this to the day I die, I did tear up when Prime died in the movie. I don't know about you guys, but that was kinda shocking for me. Hell, the whole movie was when it came out because up till then, HOW MANY Transformers HAD died?

BTW, if the shot I just saw of supposedly Grimlock on the other thread(which I searched for but didn't find before making this one)is real and not just a hype photo put out to create buzz, that may ALSO sway me.

Of course, it'd also be cool if they had the Constructicons forming Devastator in the movie, but the chances of that happening are as likely as Ben Affleck making a GOOD movie.

I am not excited...nor do I care about this movie...but i think i am biased.

I hate all things mech.

Any giant robot of anything, games.movies,cartoons, toys go right to the top of my shit list. I for some reason just can not stand anything that is in gaint robot form.

I most likely will still see it beacuse a few of my friends want to go. I just feel that giant robots are the most played out thing in the history of entertainment.

bread's done
Back