New video card

Spades22

CAGiversary!
hey, I'm looking for a new video card maybe around 100 dollars or so CDN. Basically the best I can get for that price...but if there's good ones for 70$ too or whatever I'd prefer that. Also a return policy or period would be nice just in case it doesn't work with my computer or something...and it HAS to be windows vista compatible...meaning windows vista has to at least recognize the card so i can install it. So ya if you guys can find one either online or in store thats great...thanks.

system specs are 2gb ram, amd athlon 64x dual core processor 4400+, 320gb HD, windows vista...and ya...basically i thought the nvidia geforce 6150 integrated was the worst of those and was causing the issues when i tried to play games i could on what i thought was a crappier comp. I guess AGP or whatever...i dont care if its pci or whatever, as long as its the best i can get for my dollar. But umm I'll check ou tthat site, thanks for the link...looks good and up to date especially :D

[quote name='Spades22']system specs are 2gb ram, amd athlon 64x dual core processor 4400+, 320gb HD, windows vista...and ya...basically i thought the nvidia geforce 6150 integrated was the worst of those and was causing the issues when i tried to play games i could on what i thought was a crappier comp. I guess AGP or whatever...i dont care if its pci or whatever, as long as its the best i can get for my dollar. But umm I'll check ou tthat site, thanks for the link...looks good and up to date especially :D[/QUOTE]
Your motherboard will only support AGP (if its more than 2 years old) OR PCI-express (new standard graphics interface). This is not a choice you can make.

[quote name='cheapfrag']Your motherboard will only support AGP (if its more than 2 years old) OR PCI-express (new standard graphics interface). This is not a choice you can make.[/quote]

Well whatever doesn't matter to me...if PCI-express is the new thing that shoul dbe good enough for the future anyway. Umm so I was thinking then of going for that under 100$ Video card called Geforce 7300 GT DDR2, PCI-Express, on the tomshardware link. Would that be a good card that would work well with my computer...and is it supported by vista? Also...from my specs I should be able to play a good amount of games, right?...like whats the best type of games that I'd be able to play with that?

I'm assuming my graphics card is what mainly needs the updating. On the windows vista scoreboard thing, the graphics card only got a score of 3.0, while the processor came after that at 4.9, followed by everything else at 5.1-6.0...

Annnd...if that IS a good card for my PC, then where can I buy it from for the cheapest price? Is it easy to find in-store?

EDIT: the GT 7600 is only like 20 bucks more I think or something like that...is that an a lot better card or wouldn't I notice much difference? I don't want to buy another card for awhile...but don't want to spend more than 100$ after rebates.

The 7600GT is a good card. If you plan on playing newish games (and it sounds like you do) then you shouldn't go for anything less. But if you want to spend a little more you can get the 7900GS or X1950Pro for about $110 after rebate. Check newegg.com for the HIS X1950Pro or do a search for BFG 7900GS on slickdeals.net.

ok so the 7300GT wouldn't be good enough? Newegg has it for 51.99 after rebate with 5$ shipping and the 7600 is 75$ after rebate with 5$ shipping also. So ya I'd sooner go for the 7300GT...unless there is a big difference from the 7300 to the 7600.

Umm does newegg accept returns or do they have some kind of warranty or something?

yes, there is a big difference between the 7300 and 7600. my dell came with a 7300 le. it would run oblivion, but on the absolute min settings and even then everytime i got into a fight the framerates dropped to slideshow rates. the 7600 will play oblivion around med to med-high settings with decent framerates.

I have a 7600gt and it works fine so far on the stuff I have tried. It plays quake wars relatively smoothly with average settings. It has received very good reviews and its quite popular so patch support is very high for it. I also run it on a vista amd dual core with 3gigs of ram.

ok maybe I'll go for the 7600 then. Umm ok well I think I'm ready to buy, just one thing I'd like to know is if newegg is a good place to buy video cards and if there is any return policy or warranty...if not is there any online shop that does have one of those?

Or...even better...can it be found easily in stores?

cool so they have a return policy as well...and ship to Canada right? I'm assuming those are US prices so how much would an $89.99 card with a 15$ mail in rebate and about 6$ shipping cost me in Canadian dollars?

You could use something like xe.com to check the exchange rate, but Im not sure newegg ships out of the US, and most rebates are limited to the country of purchase.

edit: Newegg wont do international. From their faq:

Does Newegg.com ship internationally?
Newegg.com does not currently ship internationally; we only deliver to locations within the United States and to Puerto Rico.

I believe tigerdirect has a canadian storefront (www.tigerdirect.ca)

This seems to be TD's cheapest 7600GT. I cant speak for Canada, but TD here in the states has a less than stellar reputation for their rebates. I woulndt factor in the rebate in my price if I was you.

[quote name='uli2000']I cant speak for Canada, but TD here in the states has a less than stellar reputation for their rebates. I woulndt factor in the rebate in my price if I was you.[/quote]

TigerDirect may be slow but you can still expect to get your rebate from them. It's not as bad you make it out to be.

[quote name='-Phoenix-']Well I also have a video card question and i didnt want to start a whole new thread so i thought id ask here. Ive been looking at this video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814130082

and i was wondering if it would fit into this PC http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00910226&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3411015〈=en

Please Reply, Thank You[/quote]

do you have a slot that will fit the card? Yes (pci-e 16x)

will the card fit in your case? no idea

Yea i was wonderin if it would if fit in the case, i knew about the PCI E 16x.
So is the only way to find out, is to open up the case and see how big it is and where the slot is?

wow its a lot more expensive in Canada...didn't think the prices would be that huge a difference. Its 83.99 for the 7300 on TD vs. 126.99 for the 7600.... hmm so thats about the cheapest I could get it for?

That 8800GTS uses a lot of power. You should take off the side panel of your computer and see how many watts the power supply has. The minimum for the card is 400W.

Also, that card seems like overkill in that machine. You'll be very limited by your 2.4GH single core CPU.

bread's done
Back